Are Americans becoming a nation of ass holes ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are Americans becoming a nation of ass holes ?

I can not accurately answer my own OP as I have lived most of my life in my home state of Texas, therefore my perspective is limited.  My general sense is that regardless of geographical location, racial background, gender, socio-economic status or any other variables most of my fellow citizens have become selfish ass holes.  I just don't trust them anymore.

Our American business ethics are exemplified by the ruthlessness of the Enron scandal.  The outsourcing of jobs to Third World countries while qualified Americans are completely bypassed and are left to ponder the real world value of their hard earned education, .....and other examples abound.

Social graces ( like saying "thank you" or showing respect for the elderly ) that I once took for granted in my youth are now so rare as to be non existent.  I see daily example of ruthlessness that even extend to animal cruelty.  In my mind America has become a nation of back stabbing, all-about-me, make a profit at any cost, sociopaths. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
becoming?I'd want proof that

becoming?

I'd want proof that we were ever not a nation of assholes before answering this question.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

becoming?

I'd want proof that we were ever not a nation of assholes before answering this question.

seconded

What Would Kharn Do?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Advice:NEVER wear an

Advice:

NEVER wear an American flag while travelling anywhere outside the U.S

DO NOT mention you're American while overseas.

etc etc....

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Advice:NEVER wear an

Quote:

Advice:

NEVER wear an American flag while travelling anywhere outside the U.S

DO NOT mention you're American while overseas.

etc etc....

There was briefly a website offering a "How to Be Canadian" kit.  They would send you a map of Canada, notable cities, capitals, info about political parties, popular Canadian slang, and a hockey shirt.  The idea was that you could use their kit to pass yourself off as not American when traveling.

The urban myth was that this site went under because it was a joke, but they had thousands of real orders within a couple of weeks.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

becoming?

Point taken but I was referring to changes that have occurred during my ( your ) lifespan.  I am basing the  pessimistic outlook of my OP mostly upon personal observation and not upon historical examples which of course predate me.

Yes, the Pilgrims who came to North America may have been religious ass holes but it's too far removed from my experience as a 21'st century American; the same goes for the Salem Witch Trials,  institutionalized slavery, the decimation of the American Indians, and all other shameful episodes from the distant past.

I am deliberately focusing upon roughly the last fifty years of societal behavior.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Point taken but I was

Quote:
Point taken but I was referring to changes that have occurred during my ( your ) lifespan.  I am basing the  pessimistic outlook of my OP mostly upon personal observation and not upon historical examples which of course predate me.

I knew what you were asking.  I was basically just being a cynical bitch.

The question you're asking is more difficult than it seems because politeness and asshole-ness are not opposites.  One can be very polite to you, observing all social protocols, and still have your wife's saliva on his dick.  A better question is whether or not we've lost some of our sense of moral obligation.  I'm not really sure that we have, to be honest.

If you feel like reading, here's a book that addresses several different aspects of your question:

American Families and the Nostalgia Trap  

The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap by Stephanie Coontz (Paperback - Aug 2000)

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Few people in other

Few people in other countries like America. I saw this once somewhere:Someone said "I don't like Americans' and the American said'becaue we're so powerful and better than you right.' No,because you're generally arrogant idiots.

Of course there are lots of very likeable Americans,like those on this board.Alot of the ones I've spoken to in other places are pretty sad examples.

Please do something about your country

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Please do something

Quote:
Please do something about your country

Does leaving count?

Books about atheism