Ellen Johnson, do we want to know?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ellen Johnson, do we want to know?

There seems to be conflicting stories about Ellen Johnson's departure from American Atheists.

A few months ago it was announced that she was leaving on her own accord. I go to the website's homepage and read that she was removed by vote.

The site says out of "respect" of her work they wont go into detail.

We often accuse theist organizations of sweeping dirt under the rug. If this is nothing more than a directional dispute(which direction does American Atheists want to go), if that is all this is about, then why would it be a thing to keep silent?

If there is something illegal(I AM NOT ASSUMING, JUST SAYING) going on, wouldn't the members want to know?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
What if she accepted Jesus

What if she accepted Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Savior? Maybe that's what they're keeping secret?

I've been in companies that change leadership, that do the same thing. Sometimes it's not so much sweeping it under the rug as it is no longer beating a dead horse. If there was a dispute and she was forced out, maybe it's best just to forget the conflicts of the past and let her and the organization move on.

If there was financial or criminal misconduct, then yes they do need to come clean.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:What if she

EXC wrote:

What if she accepted Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Savior? Maybe that's what they're keeping secret?

I've been in companies that change leadership, that do the same thing. Sometimes it's not so much sweeping it under the rug as it is no longer beating a dead horse. If there was a dispute and she was forced out, maybe it's best just to forget the conflicts of the past and let her and the organization move on.

If there was financial or criminal misconduct, then yes they do need to come clean.

I don't think she "found Jesus". But if she did, the fundies would jump all over that, failing to see that conversions and deconversions happen in both directions and are not evidence of anything but someone switching a position.

Like I said, if it is just a "directional " issue, then they should say something like, "Our organization is greatful for all her efforts, however we are merely seeking a different path." I'd find that more acceptable than the explination of "dont ask". It is too ambigious and makes one wonder.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps they were not

Perhaps they were not satisfied with having a sexy blond female like Miss Johnson lead their organization and they desired to return to their original format by replacing her with another hideous gorgon like the dearly departed Miss O'hair ?

May I suggest Sarah Jessica Parker as a replacement ?  She has a face that can break mirrors and I don't think she's religious.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, we know for a fact now

Well, we know for a fact now it was Nostradamus caused her departure. After all, David Mabus repeatedly told us that and we saw how rational of a person he is.

[/sarcasm off]

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was another

There was another resignation from the board.  In a vague letter one of the board members blames himself for the damage done to the organization:

http://apexnaturalism.org/2008/06/11/events-leading-to-ellen-johnsons-departure-from-american-atheists/