Conservative mumbo-jumbo

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conservative mumbo-jumbo

Does anyone else think it's sort of backward for conservatives to want us to return to traditional values, but at the same time want to constantly expand the economy and support the development of new technology(as long as it's used as they believe it should be)? I mean, doesn't changing these things inevitably lead to social change, which is  going to shake up their traditions a bit?

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:Does anyone

pyrokidd wrote:

Does anyone else think it's sort of backward for conservatives to want us to return to traditional values, but at the same time want to constantly expand the economy and support the development of new technology(as long as it's used as they believe it should be)? I mean, doesn't changing these things inevitably lead to social change, which is  going to shake up their traditions a bit?

There is so much that's backwards and retarded about right-wing conservatives it would be comical if it weren't real. But, to answer your question, technology won't lead to social change as long as the conservatives can use it to better control people. That's why they're so selective about which technological advances are "ok" to use. Nuclear weapons are justified, even though they kill people, while things like abortions are heinous crimes. It's about control of the masses. To think the opposite about either would be to relinquish control. As long as they can control which technology is used, the ones that help them keep control of people, it's fine with them and won't lead to any unwanted social changes.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well then how much better

Well then how much better are the radical left-wingers? They probably want the same thing, just with different morals in place.  I guess in the end it's life conservatives want us to live in George Orwell's 1984 while liberals are more into Aldous Huxley's  Brave New World. If I had to pick one I'd go Brave New World because at least suffering has basically ended but there's still no purpose or freedom or humanity in either.

-Carl Sagan

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:Well then how

pyrokidd wrote:

Well then how much better are the radical left-wingers? They probably want the same thing, just with different morals in place.  I guess in the end it's life conservatives want us to live in George Orwell's 1984 while liberals are more into Aldous Huxley's  Brave New World. If I had to pick one I'd go Brave New World because at least suffering has basically ended but there's still no purpose or freedom or humanity in either.

Well, "radical" anything is not good, imo. But in general I think liberals are more about encouraging individual freedom and personal development while conservatives are more about restricting individual freedoms and creating worshipping sheep.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually liberals wouldn't

Actually liberals wouldn't like living in Brave New World - not only are there still social classes but they're even more strict and impossible to move out of - really more like a caste system. Though there are some great things there - such as sex no longer being at all tied to reproduction.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theia wrote:Well, "radical"

Theia wrote:

Well, "radical" anything is not good, imo. But in general I think liberals are more about encouraging individual freedom and personal development while conservatives are more about restricting individual freedoms and creating worshipping sheep.

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually liberals wouldn't like living in Brave New World - not only are there still social classes but they're even more strict and impossible to move out of - really more like a caste system. Though there are some great things there - such as sex no longer being at all tied to reproduction.

In general I'd agree. But what you see in leftism is this sort of "end all suffering" mentality. Obviously no modern human could be happy in a Brave New World scenario because we need some sort of struggle to survive. But the more hard-core liberals may decide one day that they want to eliminate all disease, with good intentions of ending the suffering. Then we begin using eugenics, manufacturing people with slight altercations to make everyone happy and end suffering until it's not really people being made at all. I believe the intentions are better, but may end up giving us a less than human existence. Not to mention for every law you pass, even if it's with the common good in mind, you're taking away someone's freedom.

-Carl Sagan