Question About Smoking

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Question About Smoking

What all effects does smoking have on the human body/mind and why! Main target here is cigars/cigarettes but if you want to go into other things I'm all ears.

Laughing out loud

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
the list is a mile long, i

the list is a mile long, i suggest you google the answer for yourself and save the RRS some jigabytes of space

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
According to the American

According to the American Cancer Society:

Quote:

About half of all Americans who continue to smoke will die because of the habit. Each year about 438,000 people in the United States die from illnesses related to cigarette smoking. Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.

Cancer

Cigarette smoking accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths. It is a major cause of cancers of the lung, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube connected to the stomach), and bladder, and it contributes to the development of cancers of the pancreas, cervix, kidney, stomach, and also some leukemias.

Smoking is responsible for about 87% of lung cancer deaths. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women, and is one of the most difficult cancers to treat. Lung cancer is a disease that can in many cases be prevented. Groups that promote non-smoking as part of their religion, such as Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists, have much lower rates of lung cancer and other smoking-related cancers.

Other Health Problems

Only about half of the deaths related to smoking are from cancer. Smoking is also a major cause of heart disease, aneurysms, bronchitis, emphysema, and stroke, and it makes pneumonia and asthma worse.

Using tobacco can also damage a woman's reproductive health. Tobacco use is linked with reduced fertility and a higher risk of miscarriage, early delivery (premature birth), stillbirth, infant death, and is a cause of low birth-weight in infants. It has also been linked to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Smoking has also been linked to other health problems, including gum disease, cataracts, bone thinning, hip fractures, and peptic ulcers. It is also linked to macular degeneration, an eye disease that can cause blindness.

Furthermore, the smoke from cigarettes (called secondhand smoke or environmental tobacco smoke) has a harmful health effect on those exposed to it. (See the American Cancer Society documents, Secondhand Smoke and Women and Smoking.)

Effects on Quantity and Quality of Life

Based on data collected from 1995 to 1999, the CDC estimated that adult male smokers lost an average of 13.2 years of life and female smokers lost 14.5 years of life because of smoking.

But not all of the health problems related to smoking result in deaths. Smoking generally affects a smoker's health, harming nearly every organ of the body, and causing many diseases. According to the CDC in 2000, about 8.6 million people had at least one chronic disease because they smoked or had smoked. Many of these people were suffering from more than one smoking-related condition. The diseases that occurred most often were chronic bronchitis, emphysema, heart attacks, strokes, and cancer. These diseases can steal away a person's quality of life long before death. Smoking-related illness can limit a person's activities by making it harder to breathe, get around, work, or play.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Cigarette_Smoking.asp

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Currently there are

Quote:

Currently there are ongoing lawsuits in the USA which aim to hold tobacco companies responsible for the effects of smoking on the health of long term smokers.

Benzene (petrol additive)
A colourless cyclic hydrocarbon obtained from coal and petroleum, used as a solvent in fuel and in chemical manufacture - and contained in cigarette smoke. It is a known carcinogen and is associated with leukaemia.

Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)
A colourless liquid, highly poisonous, used to preserve dead bodies - also found in cigarette smoke. Known to cause cancer, respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal problems.

Ammonia (toilet cleaner)
Used as a flavouring, frees nicotine from tobacco turning it into a gas, found in dry cleaning fluids.

Acetone (nail polish remover)
Fragrant volatile liquid ketone, used as a solvent, for example, nail polish remover - found in cigarette smoke.

Tar
Particulate matter drawn into lungs when you inhale on a lighted cigarette. Once inhaled, smoke condenses and about 70 per cent of the tar in the smoke is deposited in the smoker's lungs.

Nicotine (insecticide/addictive drug)
One of the most addictive substances known to man, a powerful and fast-acting medical and non-medical poison. This is the chemical which causes addiction.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) (car exhaust fumes)
An odourless, tasteless and poisonous gas, rapidly fatal in large amounts - it's the same gas that comes out of car exhausts and is the main gas in cigarette smoke, formed when the cigarette is lit. Others you may recognize are :

Arsenic (rat poison), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison)

http://www.quit-smoking-stop.com/harmful-chemicals-in-cigarettes.html

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn

Thats powerful stuff. Laughing out loud Thanks. I'm trying to get a close friend to stop. (I stopped a while ago... I only smoked for like a month though.) I stopped because it made me feel like shit in the mornings and made me not workout as much... thats reason enough for me.

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's benzene in

There's benzene in cigarettes???!!! No wonder so many people get lung cancer... that's like inhaling death.

That being said, I probably won't give up my social smoking. A cigarette every 6 months can't be that terrible..

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:There's

greek goddess wrote:

There's benzene in cigarettes???!!! No wonder so many people get lung cancer... that's like inhaling death.

That being said, I probably won't give up my social smoking. A cigarette every 6 months can't be that terrible..

Well, to be fair, benzene can be found in a lot of things. Its an extremely useful and prevalent chemical, though it is being phased out in many areas by slightly less carcinogenic compounds like toluene. You can find benzene in your carpet, in gasoline, in residual levels in many plastics (benzene is a prime precursor to the monomer styrene, which makes polystyrene, one of the most abundant and useful polymers known). It's also used to make nylon.

Granted the levels are low in such cases and have not been shown to lead to disease. The difference is that cigarette smoke comes in direct contact with a blood-gas organ, and whatever you inhale gets distributed through your entire body.

That benzene is in the smoke is probably less a detriment to your health than the strain the carbon monoxide puts on your cardiovascular system.

As a light smoker (about a pack a month unless stressed out) and a person who spends much of their day working with VOCs like benzene, and even pure benzene, I'm fully aware of the risks.

Smoking certainly is horrible for your health, but then again, so is working in my profession. People who work with the chemicals I do tend to die an average of 9 years earlier than the rest of you.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woah

Does smoking cigars and thing such as affect your thought process or brain? It seems like while I was a smoker I didn't care to read or learn anything new. And I didn't have thoughts propagate in my head like I usually do. I will just be sitting here and something crazy comes to mind so I test it. That didn't happen while I was smoking.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:Does

Josh Clarke wrote:

Does smoking cigars and thing such as affect your thought process or brain? It seems like while I was a smoker I didn't care to read or learn anything new. And I didn't have thoughts propagate in my head like I usually do. I will just be sitting here and something crazy comes to mind so I test it. That didn't happen while I was smoking.

Nicotine certainly does affect your brain. It increases dopamine levels (which is why it is addictive, dopamines are your "reward" homones). It also stimulates epinephrine production and acts as an MAO inhibitor. (MAO is monoamine oxidase, the thing that breaks down dopamines - many anti-depressants work on the same principle). It's also a stimulant.

Why you reacted the way you did is odd, the opposite should have been the case, typically - I know it is for me. It could be that it sped you up too much to the point of overload or scatterbrain. Or it could be that you were doing other things while you were smoking that contributed, such as heavy drinking perhaps - they often go hand in hand.

Personally, I've always found that such stimulants jump start my brain, be it nicotine, caffeine or cocaine.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:There's

greek goddess wrote:

[...] 

A cigarette every 6 months can't be that terrible..

Right. As long as you keep your "inhaling death" to a minimum, it should be fine.

Wait, WHAT??

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Smoking certainly is horrible for your health, but then again, so is working in my profession. People who work with the chemicals I do tend to die an average of 9 years earlier than the rest of you.

That's not too bad, really. I mean, considering current life expectancy stats. The last years are the shitty years anyway. (Wasn't that part of one of Dennis Leary's old routines?)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hrm

Thats a good notion you have. Maybe it's because I went from not smoking at all to smoking a lot in a very short period... then I stopped smoking all the sudden. But usually when I was smoking I was driving around with a friend listening to very loud music with lots of bass. So maybe it was just overload. But still, even when I was sitting at my house I didn't have any desire to study anything... and I didn't really feel like getting up and going to classes in the morning... not really like me.

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha thats the truth. I

Haha thats the truth. I don't want to be running around on fake legs soiling myself and chasing children with a cane... oh wait... that would actually be pretty badass.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

That's not too bad, really. I mean, considering current life expectancy stats. The last years are the shitty years anyway. (Wasn't that part of one of Dennis Leary's old routines?)

Well, as trite as that bit is, I do believe that's how it will work for me. I've seen enough people I love waste away in hospitals and hospices. I think I'll be satisfied with about 55-65 years or less, I'm certainly structuring things with that in mind anyway - IOW, not putting off that dream vacation or asking the cute girl at the coffee shop out.

If I do ever end up an invalid, I will end it on my terms, life's too short to spend the last bit of it suffering.

Then again, I certainly wouldn't mind living to 120 either, so long as I had a decent quality of life and my mental faculties intact.