Peter Singer vs D'Souza

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Peter Singer vs D'Souza

Australian Biologist and atheist Peter Singer debated D'Souza at a Christian university, and Singer surprinsingly did better than Hitchens and Dennett, in my humble opinion, of course.

You can see the debate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phgb67NAaHA

Once again D'Souza repeats the same tired arguments: atheists are bad because Stalin and Hitler were bad. Once again he claims compassion is a Christian invention, and once again he manipulates logic and fact as if he can change reality just by words alone.

Things I noticed from this debate:

(1) Singer is better at debating than Dennett and maybe Hitchens

(2) When Singer said Bill Gates donates millions to charity and Gates is not religious, D'Souza defended himself by saying Gates' actions are influenced by a Christian society, even though he is not religious. Weird. Hitler's hatred of Jews, gays, and gypsies was influenced by atheism, even though we are supposed to have no morals that can cause such influence.

(3) D'Souza repeats the anthropic principle again. Singer defends it by saying, "Well, we could be in one of multiple universes." D'Souza replies that multiple universes are not proven, and may not exist. He uses atheist logic to attack the idea of multiple universes. D'Souza even mentioned the "God of the gaps" thing and said that atheism has something similar: "Science will find the answer later on."

And Singer kept saying that when it comes to the beginning of things, neither atheists nor theists have an advantage. Actually, atheism has a small advantage; we claim everything started with simplicity. Theism claims everything started because of a complex being that in order to exist would need more engineering, more evolution than everything else in this planet. Singer is wrong.

When it comes to Hitler, D'Souza once again said Hitler was an atheist. And once again, he was reminded that he wasn't. D'Souza then claimed Himmler and Gobbels were atheists (actually he said Gobbers). Himmler led the SS, and that organization did not permit atheists to become members. And Gobbels was despised by the Vatican for marrying a protestant woman who had been married before. D'Souza then claims Hitler despised Christianity as we know it and wanted to prove Jesus had been an Aryan. RIGHT. But that does not mean he was an atheist.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think if Hitler himself

I think if Hitler himself were to come back and declare that he were a devout christian they'd still say he's atheist. I don't know what's sillier about it-that they continually and endlesslly claim it, without eveidence and in the face of proof to the contary, or that they think that proving it will forever defeat atheism. So one bad person was possibly(no evidence though) atheist? Guess there's never been a bad christian..

Christians and Hitler are like a dog with a bone it just won't let go..except it isn't even a bone.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
rpcarnell wrote:Australian

rpcarnell wrote:
Australian Biologist and atheist Peter Singer debated D'Souza at a Christian university, and Singer surprinsingly did better than Hitchens and Dennett, in my humble opinion, of course.

Interesting that you thought Singer did better than Hitchens & Dennet. I watched the debate on Youtube a few days ago, and a lot of comments expressed the opinion that Dennet did better than Singer. But I haven't seen the other debates, so I can't compare. I did think that Singer did a good job, being respectful of D'Souza and his lack of cogent arguments.

Another thing that annoyed me was how much D'Souza focused on Singer's personal views - e.g. killing babies up to 28 days old. He spent his whole opening argument talking about the "dangerous consequences" of atheism. I was glad that Singer nipped it in the bud and said "We're here to debate the existence of god."

rpcarnell wrote:

(2) When Singer said Bill Gates donates millions to charity and Gates is not religious, D'Souza defended himself by saying Gates' actions are influenced by a Christian society, even though he is not religious. Weird. Hitler's hatred of Jews, gays, and gypsies was influenced by atheism, even though we are supposed to have no morals that can cause such influence.

This was probably my favorite part of the debate. When atheists do good things, it's the result of immersion in a Christian society. When they do bad things, it's because we're evil and we worship Satan and eat babies. Singer called him on it too. Dinesh got served!

rpcarnell wrote:

When it comes to Hitler, D'Souza once again said Hitler was an atheist. And once again, he was reminded that he wasn't. 

I actually hate this debate tactic. It's sort of like a reverse appeal to authority. Like instead of "Newton was a brilliant physicist... and he was Christian. Therefore, Christianity is right," it's "Well Hitler authorized the killing of millions of Jews... and he was atheist. Therefore, atheism is evil and wrong."

There have been good theists and bad theists, and good atheists and bad atheists. None of that has any bearing on which ideology is right. I wish we could ban the practice of using famous figures to support arguments, and just focus on the actual claims made by religion. Of course, if we did that, Dinesh would have nothing left to say...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The fact that using Hitler

The fact that using Hitler in an argument is no good is known as Godwin's Law.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
As speakers and debaters, I

As speakers and debaters, I really like both Singer and D'Souza.  The thing is, they both push some pretty scary ideas--not only in my opinion, but in the opinions of many.

From what I can tell, Singer is considered to be pretty "out there" and on the fringe of modern ethical thought, at least by the standard of mainstream philosophical thought.  It's true that many people are turned off by his hardline stance on animal rights, but it goes deeper than that.  He questions the value of human life to such an extent that, right or wrong, it makes lots of people uncomfortable. 

As far as D'Souza goes, he's not as much of an extremist as Singer overall, but he does have some pretty troubling views on women's rights and the history of Christianity. 

But yeah.  Singer busted D'Souza pretty early with the whole Buddhism thing. 

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know that D'Souzas

I don't know that D'Souzas views are all that much different from most speakers who argue for theism. He is actually smarter, more eloquent, has more appealing, philosophically confusing distractions, and is a better speaker than most apologists I have seen debate. Peter Singer is on the other hand outside of the mainstream on animal rights, paedophilia, and his idea that it is all right to terminate lives of babies shortly(28 days is a rough cutoff) after birth if it is medically deemed that they will have a life filled with suffering because of extreme physical impairments. His ideas on euthanasia are not all that radical. I would check these youtube videos out where he lays out the logic. I think his logic is soundly reasoned, but the consequences for the positions he argues on animal rights and paedophilia, I believe, would not be totally positive, and in some cases very negative. Plus, the animal rights position, basically means giving up eating any animal, and I don't think I would ever be willing to give that up, regardless of the ethics involved.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3bi81JcddWc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AF3VTu5lR_o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAhAlbsAbLM

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Singer makes good points.

Singer makes good points. Personally, Ithink they're a tad idealistic.

This isn't a fair and square universe. Not everyone is born looking like a million bucks, not everyone is born under the best of fiscal of societal circumstances, not everyone is born with the best of health. Attempting to 'fix' that, I think, is doomed to failure - because it's not really a fault. It's just a mechanism.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I think that Singer's

I think that Singer's philosophy espouses a humanistic ethical system Kevin, and I view him more as a partisan activist rather than a philosophical scientist objectly describing mechanisms. He realizes that the world is not inherently fair, and is quite indifferent to whether you are born with one arm, or 3 sex chromosomes, etc.....but, he is merely saying that living here on this blue dot, and observing the lack of fairness, extreme poverty, and ubiquitous physical suffering, can be vastly improved by adopting a platform based on the alleviation of suffering aided by positive global and communal assistance. He is putting forth a worldview that addresses one idea, suffering, and using the elimination/alleviation of that problem as a foundational support for his ethical framework. It is a utopian ethical system in some ways, but many ethical systems, if followed and implemented in totality often implicitly state Utopian goals or imply that fairly close adherence to the goals will have more positive consequences than negative ones.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:He is putting forth a

Quote:
He is putting forth a worldview that addresses one idea, suffering, and using the elimination/alleviation of that problem

I know. I'm just not sure that defining suffering as a 'problem' is a correct perspective. Can we remove suffering from the universe and still expect it to function? I'd argue not (not in a universe where survival is dependant on consumption, anyway, and where resources are finite). It's a mechanism.

...And now I'm going to stop talking, before I get clocked with a bug-zapper.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Zap! Suffering is impossible

Zap! Suffering is impossible to completely eliminate, and I am not advocating Singer being the one person with an idea to lead us all to global harmony. I  see his idea kinda like communism, in theory, having everyone cared for and equality of resources being a priority, sounds good. In practice, equality in poverty can usually be achieved, except for the totalitarians who rise to power and live more glamorous lives than kings.

I just think he is advocating alleviating suffering where we can and if we have the resources, that is all.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:
 Attempting to 'fix' that, I think, is doomed to failure - because it's not really a fault. It's just a mechanism.

Absolutely - what would we be attempting to "fix" there, anyway, the recombination of DNA? Yeah. Biology is fascinating and everything, but even introducing species almost always goes wrong. If we can't get that right ...

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't want anyone

I wouldn't want anyone 'fixing' my carnivorous tendencies, either. I've got canines for a reason, demmit. Sorry, cows, you lost the DNA lottery.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's D'Souza's take on the

Here's D'Souza's take on the debate. I love the subtlety of the title...

Atheism and Child Murder

Posted May 9th 2008 2:22AM by Dinesh D'Souza
Filed under: Christianity, Controversy, Atheism

Peter Singer is a calm, lucid and able debater, and our debate at Biola University in Los Angeles on April 25 was lively and hard-fought. Not for nothing is Singer considered a world-class philosopher and advocate. You can watch the debate here.

Singer praised me for not simply making assertions of faith or hurling Bible passages at him but rather for using reason and argument to make my case . And I complimented Singer for stepping, so to speak, into the lion's den. (Biola actually stands for Bible Institute of Los Angeles.) Unlike the pusillanimous Richard Dawkins, who doesn't dare to debate me even at his home campus of Oxford, Singer was brave to come to a Christian campus to dispute the resolution "God: Yes or No." The audience of 3,000 was mostly though not exclusively Christian.

So perhaps atheism has found an able advocate. But unbelievers may want to think twice before lining up behind Singer, who argues in favor of infanticide, euthanasia and (this is not a joke) animal rights! One of Singer's interesting proposals concerns what may be called "fourth trimester" abortions, i.e. the right to kill one's offspring even after birth!

Here are some choice Singer quotations on the subject which I get from his books Rethinking Life and Death and Writings on an Ethical Life.

On how mothers should be permitted to kill their offspring until the age of 28 days: "My colleague Helga Kuhse and I suggest that a period of twenty-eight days after birth might be allowed before an infant is accepted as having the same right to life as others."

On why abortion is less morally significant than killing a rat: "Rats are indisputably more aware of their surroundings, and more able to respond in purposeful and complex ways to things they like or dislike, than a fetus at ten or even thirty-two weeks gestation."

On why pigs, chickens and fish have more rights to life than unborn humans: "The calf, the pig, and the much-derided chicken come out well ahead of the fetus at any stage of pregnancy, while if we make the comparison with a fetus of less than three months, a fish would show more signs of consciousness."

On why infants aren't normal human beings with rights to life and liberty: "Characteristics like rationality, autonomy and self-consciousness...make a difference. Infants lack these characteristics. Killing them, therefore, cannot be equated with killing normal human beings."

In my opening statement I showed the profound connection between Singer's Darwinian atheism and his advocacy of infanticide and euthanasia. Remarkably Singer responded by saying he didn't come to debate his bioethical views! Rather, he wanted the debate to focus exclusively on the question of whether God exists or not. I didn't want this to be a debate in which Singer and I ended up talking on completely different subjects, so I engaged him on his chosen ground.

Even so, I was disappointed that Singer wouldn't stand up for the opinions that have made him famous, or infamous. Our topic resolution was broad enough to permit a discussion both of the existence of God and also of the social implications of the theist and the atheist positions. I view Singer's work as exploring the consequences of living in a truly secular society, devoid not only of the Christian God but also of Christian morality.

So while Christianity introduced into Western civilization the concept of dignity of human life, Singer explicitly says we have to get rid of this outdated concept. He contends that God is dead and we should recognize ourselves as Darwinian primates who enjoy no special status compared to the other animals. In the animal kingdom, after all, parents sometimes kill and even devour their offpsring. Singer argues that the West can learn from the other cultures like the Kalahari where children are routinely killed when they are unwanted, even when they are several years old.

Some of Singer's critics call him a Nazi and compare his proposals to Hitler's schemes for eliminating the unwanted, the unfit and the disabled. But as I note in the debate, Singer is no Hitler. He doesn't want state-sponsored killings. Rather, he wants the decision to kill to be made by you and me. Instead of government-conducted genocide, Singer favors free-market homicide.

Given the connection that Singer draws between atheism and child murder, using the former as his premise to recommend the latter, I wonder if our atheist friends are going to rush to embrace this guy as one of their heroes. Is Singer showing us where the road to complete secularism actually leads?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course,because one

Of course,because one atheist's views have to be those of all atheists. I also like how he has a debate on a particualr subject, and is then 'disapointed' that Singer wanted to stay on that subject.

Here's some fun stuff on abortion and the bible

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html

Quote:

Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Oh let me guess I'm taking it out of context.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

David L. (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
He's not a biologist.

Peter Singer is not a biologist.  He's a philosopher.  I agree that he's a better debater than Hitchens or Dennett.  I actually think he's more intelligent, more genuine and a far better scholar.  That's just my opinion, though.

AMelonas (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
This kind of reasoning

This kind of reasoning make's "real" D'Souza's argument that atheism leads to bad ethical consequences.