Are any of you really atheists?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are any of you really atheists?

That's an odd question to ask, I agree. Give me a moment to explain myself before you answer.

The term is an odd one, you must admit, in that it describes the absence of something. There aren't many words that work in reverse like that.

Which makes it uniquely vulnerable to being abused. One particular abuse of the word allows folks to think of "atheists" as a homogenous group like the word "Christians" does, as if atheists were an organized, dogmatically driven group-thinking lot. This can get awfully silly, like the charge leveled at atheists lately from several ostensibly independent sources: That evolution by natural selection, and specifically Darwin's "Origin of Species", is to atheists as the "New Testament" is to Christians.

Which leads me to ask that odd question. What I mean is: Is there any single one of us that really labels ourselves as an atheist first, before any other facet of ourselves? Personally I consider my atheism to be a subset of my skepticism, which in turn is a subset of my lust for knowledge.

I get the feeling that everyone's atheism is going to be removed from his or her sense of who they are by that kind of distance. On this board alone we're a diverse lot, and there is a very great deal of disagreement on a great number of subjects (surprisingly good natured disagreement, really. Y'all should be proud of that.).

So, how about it? Anyone here really "an atheist"?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's a bizarre idea, isn't

It's a bizarre idea, isn't it? The default position seems to be whatever the majority religion is in your area. So you have to come up with "atheist" so that people know you're self-shunning. Even "secular" has a negative connotation in some places. "Destroyer of spiritual comfort" would be a loose approximation.

Even worse are the anti-theists like me (I guess I'd be an "anti-supernaturalist", but that doesn't really roll off the tongue). Not only do such evil creatures want to agitate people's comfort, they actively pursue the destruction of even the IDEA of the supernatural. What jerks!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: The term

JillSwift wrote:

The term is an odd one, you must admit, in that it describes the absence of something. There aren't many words that work in reverse like that.

I agree with Sam Harris on this.The word atheist shouldn't exist.We don't go around calling people a-santa clausers,a-astrologies,a-fairies in the garden etc. However I think religion is so prevalent in soceity most people can't just grasp if you say  "I don't believe anything.' We need something to define us,at least for now, even if it's defining nothing.

JillSwift wrote:

This can get awfully silly, like the charge leveled at atheists lately from several ostensibly independent sources: That evolution by natural selection, and specifically Darwin's "Origin of Species", is to atheists as the "New Testament" is to Christians.

Ya well they never were too clever.I haven't read Origin of Species but I'm still an atheist.I hope..

JillSwift wrote:
Which leads me to ask that odd question. What I mean is: Is there any single one of us that really labels ourselves as an atheist first, before any other facet of ourselves?

I think I do.Maybe it's because I'm still a relatively new atheist, or because I spend the vast majority of my day thinking about it and reading various atheist forums. I do tend to think of myself as atheist before anything else.I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but it's the main attention and passion of my life at the moment.

JillSwift wrote:

Yes?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well that depends

How are you asking me, if you are asking me for my religious views, then yes I AM AN ATHEIST. No questions about it, I am pretty hardcore about that fact, because I know that the evidence given to me about the supernatural deities that everyone has put forth has no evidence to back it up, from christians through muslim, to hindus and beyond, no one has provided the proper evidence that any of them exist, as such my position is that of an atheist, but if you ask me what I am.....well I am Canadian first and foremost Laughing out loud. A believer in the good of humanity (some say humanists but I beg to differ) and believer in science and the knowledge that it has brought to us.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a great question

This is a great question JillSwift  Smiling

My husband ordered business cards for work recently and asked me how he should list his name and title. Of course I said - Name first line your title on the second line; you are who you are, not the title you hold.

It got me thinking about 'labels' and I kidded around with him about creating a business card with my name and title 'atheist'. Of course this was all in jest but your question has brought me back to that conversation.

I couldn't imagine walking around exclaiming "HI, my name is Renee and I am atheist!!"  For me if the subject is brought up regarding a theistic belief I will advise those proselytizing that I am atheist and regard the word the same as I would if someone offered me a Dr Pepper and I tell them I don't drink Dr pepper.

As far as being labeled or known as "renee, an atheist" I would rather be - Renee - always smiling, positive and tolerant....and atheist!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
IMNSHO

For me, I'm a husband to a goddess, a father and a grandfather...

'Atheist' only comes into play when the subject turns to religion.

Recently at work (in the hospital), one of the good people I work with made a comment about my apparant religiousity (no put down, it was because I am a bit concervative and tend to take a moralist stand point over issues of suicide and human stupidity). She was absolutely shocked when I told her I was in fact, an atheist. (shocked, but not in a bad way, I guess she just assumed I was a Southern Baptist)

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I think I do.Maybe

Loc wrote:
I think I do.Maybe it's because I'm still a relatively new atheist, or because I spend the vast majority of my day thinking about it and reading various atheist forums. I do tend to think of myself as atheist before anything else.I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but it's the main attention and passion of my life at the moment.
"Nothing" is the main attraction and passion in your life? =^_^=

I bet if you think about it, your passion may be better defined as "skepticism and rationality over dogmatic/magical thinking" over "atheism". Betcha betcha!

Loc wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
Yes?
It's good to be positive Eye-wink

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:"Nothing" is

JillSwift wrote:

"Nothing" is the main attraction and passion in your life? =^_^=

I bet if you think about it, your passion may be better defined as "skepticism and rationality over dogmatic/magical thinking" over "atheism". Betcha betcha!

Ok maybe I'll use that defintion just to make you happy.Sheesh

JillSwift wrote:

I feel  mocked

So what would you call yourself by the way?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Ok maybe I'll use

Loc wrote:
I don't think I'm splitting hairs here. There's a vast difference between being passionate about not beliving and being passionate about being a skeptic. It's perfectly possible to be passionate about atheism: It's just that, to me, it's such a tiny non-subject...

Feel free to let me know I'm wrong, hun. Smiling

Loc wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
I feel  mocked
No need to feel mocked, I'm just a silly girl who does so love plays on words. Sticking out tongue

Loc wrote:
So what would you call yourself by the way?
Well, I think my primary facet is my chosen profession, which is a behaviorist. After that; a geek, a woman, a wanna-be chef... etc.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Loc wrote:Ok

JillSwift wrote:

Loc wrote:
I don't think I'm splitting hairs here. There's a vast difference between being passionate about not beliving and being passionate about being a skeptic. It's perfectly possible to be passionate about atheism: It's just that, to me, it's such a tiny non-subject...

No I do actually think you're right. I can see where calling atheism a passion as opposed to skeptism and rationality would give theists cause to cry" it's your religion!' I think I've usually though of them as interchangable terms, probably wrongly so. I still find it easier to identify with atheism though. I generally don't think of it as merely unbelief-to me it's unbelief and by default skeptism and fighting theism.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:So, how

JillSwift wrote:

Well, I don't like the term either. I don'tlike  the 'brights' term either.

I prefer the terms 'honest or sane about beliefs' or 'non-superstitious'. The religious are either lying or delusional about what they believe.

But there is no consensus to change this, so the terms theist and atheist are going be with us for a while longer. It's kind of like how African Americans were called and called themselves the N word until the zeitgeist changed.

Another question, should so-called atheism be the organizing principle for a group? For now maybe, just like there were anti-slavery groups 150 years ago, they went away once that tyranny ended.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would say we should still

I would say we should still have groups like the RRS around even if we do somehow manage to eliminate religion - there are plenty of other irrational beliefs - UFO's. astrology, psychics, etc. I seriously doubt religionwill ever totally be eliminated - I'd be happy if it was seen the way most people see people who claim to have been abducted by aliens.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yes.  I am really an

Yes.  I am really an atheist.  And I'd argue that there's no such thing as an orthodox atheist.  Atheism is orthoprax--that is to say that it's more about what you do and don't do rather than what you profess.  An atheist doesn't pray, worship or attempt to communicate with any God in any way.  An atheist doesn't take into account the hypothesized opinions of any God when he makes decisions.  Obviously an agnostic or a deist could behave in the same way, but the difference is that the agnostic and deist do have a professional stance.  

The richness of our language is such that we have these and many other words to split hairs and develop classification schemes.  It's the cultural predominance of theistic ideas that necessitate these levels of classification, because we need to know who we're talking to in order for conversations to progress.  The reason we don't need "afairyist", for example, is that the most marginally educated adults don't believe in fairies.  I don't need to qualify that.  They just don't.

But I agree with Will and others who've posted that atheist is not the only religious quality in which one can fit.  I'm an anti-theist first.  And a Ricardian at some point down the line, too.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
When it comes to a strict

When it comes to a strict choice, are you an atheist or a church-attender, I'll of course answer, that I'm an atheist.
But I'm much more than that. I'll paraphrase a TV serial now, the truth is a three-edge sword. Theists' version,  atheists' version, and the truth itself. It's simple to say that something exists or doesn't exist, but it's not so simple to be aware of numerous important aspects behind that question. The world is not divided on the black or white, and the answer is not always clearly yes or not. It depends on how and why you ask, what are you aware of, and what depth of the answer you're able to understand and use in practice.
I have no need to believe or disbelieve, when I know. I can believe in a good intentions of some politics, or that national hockey team will win the world championship again, and I can disbelieve, when a street salesman forces me to buy a really original Hugo Boss perfume for 13 dollars.  But when it comes to something I really know, or consider as highly probable, it's not a question of belief.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:The term is

JillSwift wrote:

I just wanted to point out: non-smoker, virgin, abstinent, rookie, uninfected, pure, perfect, clean, sober, innocent, unmarked, etc.

There are plenty of words that we use daily to refer to things that are absent some condition.

However, to answer your question, no, I'm not an atheist first, just like I'm not a non-smoker first. I'm a pragmatist, a wonderist, and a physicalist, in that order, in terms of what I do believe in.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
While I accept the point

While I accept the point about the etymological weakness of the term, I still think it is necessary for those of us who don't believe in God to have an easily identifiable label. If the snowball is ever going to get rolling, politically, it needs a pebble to gather itself around.

I think we all wear a number of labels depending on the context in which we are speaking. When the topic is religion, I am an atheist.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Atheism

DamnDirtyApe wrote:
Atheism is orthoprax--that is to say that it's more about what you do and don't do rather than what you profess.

Exactly. But that concept would be unfortunately foreign to the average mind. I certainly agree with Sam Harris that the label does damage, and limits a person, but what label doesn't? People calling themselves Christians even qualify with some sub-group like "Catholic" or whatever.

It's like an obsession with the western mind to categorize! If I'm a student who works as a construction worker and runs a hedge fund (and I am) then what am I? Am I a student? A hedge fund manager? Or a construction worker? Now I'm an atheist, too? Who would need to be so obsessive as to determine what label to slap on me?

It's some sort of labelling = control mechanism, or the belief that knowing the name of something gives you power over it.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I quite like "godless

I quite like "godless heathen", personally.

I use the phrase somewhat jokingly among friends, but actually "godless" is generally an accurate term for atheists. "Atheist" always sounds a bit intellectual, whereas "godless" sounds kind of dangerous and sexy. It says "I don't have any stinkin' god telling me what to do!"

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LOL RRS .... Yes to the

LOL RRS ....

Yes to the OP,  because  I AM simply "religiously" anti-theist.

As you might know, I deal with theists NOT by saying, "NO there is no god" etc but by re-defining and/or "examining" religious terms, that we get from the Bible and Buddha writings etc, and ALL our folklore.  Some say I play word games .... well yes, of course, and no .... Yin Yang !    Consider carefully what a "word" meant to the person who said it, and then who hears it  .....  Words and emotional reaction to them .... and the evolution of all language, math, philosophy and religion. The "average mind"  .....  

SO HEY, First I am God, therefore I AM 100% atheist.  At first, I avoid the "atheist" word with new people I meet, and instead say I am god, just like Jesus and Buddha tried to tell us .....  ((( Many of you RRS fans  know my rap by now ....

An example of when I am asked : ----  Do you believe in god? Yes. Jesus? Yes, I know of the story. Have you accepted Jesus as your savior? Yes, but that story was just one of many which spoke the same wonderful "saving" message of zero superstition, zero separation from "god" as all is One with the "father/mother" cosmos.

What religion are you? None, as I am god as everything is god, therefore I am an atheist, just like some Jesus and Buddha philosophy. I don't do "religion". I AM GOD.

But isn't that a religion? No, God has no master, and no religion of worship. I am god, therefore I am atheist the opposite of religion that worships anything. Religion is idol worship, a devil idea of wrong thinking.

NOW I have a question (plus) for you theists: Have you read the ancient 10 commandments?  No god before me, a wise one wrote, who asked god in his head, "how will I tell them what you are god?" , and god in his head answered, "Tell them I AM what I am" ..... YUP < I AM GOD AS YOU ! ......  

Theist don't like me much, as they still kill me ..... as I AM JESUS resurrected  ..... who's message is the "christ perfection" of knowing  this simple "ONENESS" ..... and the danger of  separationism and dogma superstition .... Love (as meaning  understand) them and the dogma enemy, as in YOU, and there won't be an enemy ..... not a fellow earth citizen eventually ( I hope) .....

Yes I know, some people are just fucking even medically crazy ..... don't "punish" them ..... Opps, getting off topic here. But yeah, "Crime and Punishment"   ??? and a bottle of Rum  ...  

Merrily atheist I AM ... and then I have some fucking complaints too .....

I AM an atheist preacher, not a "god" debater. ( because me is god)

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:While I accept the

Quote:
While I accept the point about the etymological weakness of the term, I still think it is necessary for those of us who don't believe in God to have an easily identifiable label.

I agree with Tilberian.  Before explaining, I will answer the original question.  I self-identify as an atheist because atheism is a specific cause of mine.  I love skepticism and science and learning, but most of what I learn in those fields is directed towards the goal of spreading atheism.  I can't think of any way to describe myself other than anti-theist, atheist, or activist atheist.

I want to keep atheism for the same reasons that gays wanted to keep calling themselves gay, despite the popular perception of the word as negative.  As you can see, thirty years of good marketing have had a big effect.  Though it's still pretty common for people (myself included) to use the phrase, "That's gay," in a derogative sense, that sense is distinctly removed from the meaning of "Tom is gay."  (At least if you're not homophobic.)

I'd rather change people's perceptions of atheism than go through all the hassle of coming up with another word to describe ourselves, only to have that word become negative.  Until the public perception of us changes, any word we use to describe ourselves will be perceived negatively.  Words, as you know, only have meaning in context.  Without it, they have no power at all.  Say the word, "nigger" to someone who has never learned English, and it has no power or meaning, despite how powerful it is to us English speakers.  A racist who is socially pressured to stop saying "nigger" doesn't stop hating blacks.  He just attaches his hate to whatever word he's supposed to use.  Have you noticed that a racist will rant for ten minutes about how stupid it was for blacks to make whites call them "African American"? 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I confess, I am an

I confess, I am an atheist.

I’m also an asmurfist, aghostist, aleprechaunist, aelfist, awitchist, aloch nessist, abigfootist, aphrenologist, asupernatralist, amagicist, etc

I think you get the point.

Do I think there is a possibility that these or similar "things" exist?
No, I have absolutely no belief that "things" that do not exhibit any evidence of itself exists.

I'm suspious of those who claim supernature "might exist" and still claims to be an atheist.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM. You can say I am

I AM. You can say I am atheist but it doesn't define ME as entity. I am mature enough to not follow any idea blindly.

Ecrasez l'infame!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance And some

Blind_Chance    And some buddha said , "believe nothing I have said, but trust your own common sense" .....  "Beyond Language???" .... Yeah, there is no "entity" ..... [ if meaning "spirit" or supernatural anything. - Edit ]

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift I am an atheist!    Because  the topic here is are you / are you not???????????   Throughout most of my day to day life the topic does not come up.     What ever topic does come up;  Then I am or am not--depending on topic.    I am a mechanical engineer/ specialty human mechanics.   I vote P.C. (Tory) I'm in Canada, eh?  That might translate to Republican in the U.S. of A., eh? (I like McCain).   I study linguistics    far more then theology,   I want to know where words come from and why we use them,   and what other languages use them.    I do want to know what what word you used yesterday but  I    REALY want to know what word the first human used and why?  (That word was "Wa"and I dare anyone to ask me why?).

You asked;   are you realy an atheist? /    on this web site /  in this forum,    most deffinately  YES.   But in other aspects of my life I am meny other things.     I can sing opera,  basso beritone; would you like to hear?   I can recite vast passages of Shakespeare ( part of the voice training).  At 6'2" and 240 lbs I  can shread a door with my bare hands, without injury and I have the conviction & probation report to prove it.   AND ( I  hope hiswillness is reading) I spent a year in Guelph ONE day, eh?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't exactly go round

I don't exactly go round thinking "Hmmm, I'm an atheist" all the time. But, that said, I think it is a major thing for me, the same way I'm a musician and a philosopher. But it doesn't contribute massively to the way I act or am, or my personality very much, I am a strong atheist, but unlike strong theists this doesn't actually change who I am to any great extent. When it comes to my creativity I am a musician, when it comes to my desired occupation in life I am a philosopher, when it comes to my diet I am a vegetarian, when it comes to my religious belief (or lack thereof) I am an atheist.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well. yes...

I totally understand and agree with what you say. I don't like labels at all, they should only be used to help describe something, not to catagorize it.

The problem is... what do you call it? As you said, we are are diverse group brought together loosely for discussion.

Non-religious doesn't really cut it because it includes theists. Anti-religious sounds a little more active. Atheist is actually a good term, it has just been given a lot of baggage. It should only be used to descibe where someone stands on religion.

As many religious folks are intollerant any term we come up with will be loaded up with the same baggage in a short space of time.

I definately don't consider atheism my primary facet, just a desciptive of where I stand on religion.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:That's an

JillSwift wrote:

That's an odd question to ask, I agree. Give me a moment to explain myself before you answer.

NO! NO NO NO NO NO! .....OK then.

JillSwift wrote:

True enough

JillSwift wrote:

Which makes it uniquely vulnerable to being abused. One particular abuse of the word allows folks to think of "atheists" as a homogenous group like the word "Christians" does, as if atheists were an organized, dogmatically driven group-thinking lot.

Hold on...christians, as we all know, are NOT a homogeneous group, and I highly doubt anyone thinks this. I get your point, though.

JillSwift wrote:
This can get awfully silly, like the charge leveled at atheists lately from several ostensibly independent sources: That evolution by natural selection, and specifically Darwin's "Origin of Species", is to atheists as the "New Testament" is to Christians.

Which is funny because few atheists have read the origin of species, given its age and language. Scientific books are rarely easily readable.

JillSwift wrote:

Which leads me to ask that odd question. What I mean is: Is there any single one of us that really labels ourselves as an atheist first, before any other facet of ourselves? Personally I consider my atheism to be a subset of my skepticism, which in turn is a subset of my lust for knowledge.

Depends on the context. On YouTube, I'm an atheist first, as it gets me views, and religious topics interest me. In real life, I bring it up if it's appropriate. My anti-religious stance is much more prevalent than my atheism.

JillSwift wrote:

I get the feeling that everyone's atheism is going to be removed from his or her sense of who they are by that kind of distance.

Is that a bad thing?

JillSwift wrote:
On this board alone we're a diverse lot, and there is a very great deal of disagreement on a great number of subjects (surprisingly good natured disagreement, really. Y'all should be proud of that.).

Indeed. That's something I remember about this place.

JillSwift wrote:

I guess. I mean, I'm not religious...you could call me a Bright, I guess.

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Blind_Chance    And some buddha said , "believe nothing I have said, but trust your own common sense" .....  "Beyond Language???" .... Yeah, there is no "entity" ..... 

I can clearly see that my statement misfired, by "I AM" I meant that "I am" not you as a user Eye-wink. However if you have crossed a sword with me already, I should not miss a chance for riposte. I can agree with first quote but I completely disagree with your conclusion  that there is no entity. That's what I call philosophical BS. No offence intended.

Ecrasez l'infame!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Blind- Chance ???

Blind- Chance ???   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riposte

language is primitive, and I AM working on it  ....       I care , I don't know why ...... 

Conclusion ???  All I AM saying is all is ONE. Is something separate ????  Something to worship ???  Nay    

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:I quite like

geirj wrote:

I quite like "godless heathen", personally.

It's a classic, and a favourite of mine, too. Putting "godless" in front of pretty much any word is fantastic, but there are great combinations. For example, I tend to date only "godless trollops". Cf "atheist feminists" - falls flat, doesn't it?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:"atheist

HisWillness wrote:

"atheist feminists" - falls flat, doesn't it?

While we're on it, am I the only one that finds the word feminist scary? It instantly conjures up images of angry,men hating women picketing about equal rights. I think that's a word that needs some working on. I'm with their cause, that word just has a lot of baggage IMO.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:While we're on it,

Loc wrote:
While we're on it, am I the only one that finds the word feminist scary?

Haha - that's a guaranteed "no". Lots of people find the word scary. Probably because, like so many things appearing in mass media, the word has taken on the same evil-master-plan-to-wreck-everything overtones that "atheist" has. It's ridiculous. I'm a feminist (in that I believe women should be paid the same as men for equivalent work, and be afforded the same rights) but I'm not a man-hating bull dyke. In fact, I think both of those beliefs are pretty tame and self-evident.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's ridiculous. I'm a

Quote:
It's ridiculous. I'm a feminist (in that I believe women should be paid the same as men for equivalent work, and be afforded the same rights) but I'm not a man-hating bull dyke. In fact, I think both of those beliefs are pretty tame and self-evident.

Feminist is one of those words that has so many contexts that it's almost meaningless.  For everybody who says they're a feminist, there's a slightly different version.  There are some angry bull dyke man-hater feminists, and they're scary.  There are also angry molested-as-a-child feminists, and "I'm-up-here-stop-looking-at-my-boobs-and-treat-me-like-a-human-being feminists," and about a thousand other "I'm-angry-because-of-X" feminists.

Of course, then there are the vast majority of people who would just like everyone to be treated fairly, and I've never completely understood why we need to call them anything other than well-adjusted and rational.  I recognize that some people are working specifically towards the cause of women being treated equally with men, and we need a name for them, just like atheists need a name.  Even so, I wish we could get some feminist celebrities that were cool about it.  The word could definitely use a makeover.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe we could call ouselves

Maybe we could call ouselves the well-adjusted-rationals. Delusional god fear/lovers need not apply.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: All

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

All I AM saying is all is ONE. Is something separate ????  Something to worship ???     

Are you a pantheist?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Damn evil feminists. Stop

Damn evil feminists. Stop them. The scary female enemy .....  

Helen Reddy - I Am Woman 1972   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDcMyPlFvw

They females can even vote and own property now. Where have we gone wrong fellas? ....

Must be the work of the devil .....      Just ask the the priest , he knows     

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Of course,

Hambydammit wrote:

Of course, then there are the vast majority of people who would just like everyone to be treated fairly, and I've never completely understood why we need to call them anything other than well-adjusted and rational. 

You know why. It's the same reason we have to come up with "atheist" as a word. "Well-adjusted and rational" doesn't describe the majority. Jim Kunstler, in describing the suburban home, says, "Actually, what we have here is a television show broadcasting 24-hours-a-day, saying, 'I'm normal, I'm normal, please respect me, I'm normal." The norm is neither rational nor well-adjusted, but terrified and greedy. So we need words for those who try their best to escape normal and embarrass the rest.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Damn

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Damn evil feminists. Stop them. The scary female enemy .....  

Helen Reddy - I Am Woman 1972   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDcMyPlFvw

They females can even vote and own property now. Where have we gone wrong fellas? ....

Must be the work of the devil .....      Just ask the the priest , he knows     

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
aiia, NO I AM not pantheist,

aiia, NO I AM not pantheist, I AM GOD, an atheist   I am a materialist. I don't think consciousness or anything exists outside of a grander understanding of energy/matter.

However, I like the fact that pantheists are basically free thinkers and without the old traditional Abrahamic dogmas.  

I AM not in favor of letting the religious dogmists own the "G O D " word by their definition. That word  g o d  isn't going away ..... Think of the kids. Teaching all is ONE, all is connected, all is GOD, is the best I can come up with. We are god!   YUP !    No doubt .....

My "feminist" post above was a joke, of course. Go Girls !

I'm a Women !      (((.... me a man, is glad you are )))  

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lee+I%27m+a+women&search_type=

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm amused that there's so

I'm amused that there's so much about the term 'atheist' and its appropriateness. That wasn't really what I meant, but it's still great discussion.

I am surprised that there are a few who do identify thier primary facet as being an atheist. I really expected no one would consider themselves "an atheist" first... but I really should not be surprised, this is an activist site for atheists =^_^=

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD < GOD is Atheist

I AM GOD <  GOD is Atheist , and I love your mom, she has the goods !  I must help her use them ..... LOVE LOVE LOVE ....     I AM a MAN ,   what is not god ? GOD FUCKS and likes it .....     Not a bit of choice about it ....  stop all  lying  ....  Feel that girl , tell her the truth ,  "I love you, all your stuff" ! CHECK IT OUT , it is very GOOD !  

Turn it ON , turn it up , I like it HOT ! No lies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Let the girls free .... be no fool .... FREEDOM .....

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I self identify as an

I self identify as an atheist because of how frequently it opens doors for me and increases my popularity in the highly religious state that I live in.  Praise Jesus.