Iraq: The Exit?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iraq: The Exit?

So, it looks like The O-Bomb is going to take the Democrat leadership, and run against McCain. This I find interesting, because Barack is the only candidate running who has more or less outright stated that when he gets into office, he's pulling the troops out.

While I find the notion appealing, I see that Obama has never actually proposed a plan for a pullout, and I'm reminded of two things. The first is an exchange between John F. Kennedy and Lester B. Pearson regarding vietnam, where JFK asked Lester for his advice:

Lester: "Get out."

JFK: "That's a stupid answer. Everyone knows that. The question is: how do we get out?"

Kennedy was smart enough to know he had to have some kind of plan in place before he could get out of Vietnam, or he'd condemn a lot of Vietnamese to death. Of course, he was assassinated before he really had a chance to develop said plan, and his predecessors were each too stupid to recognize that Vietnam was a lost cause until it reached a breaking point (and there was no time to develop a real plan).

Which brings me to the second thing I'm reminded of:

When the withdrawl did happen, the U.S. presence evaporated so quickly as to engender tremendous catastrophe all across the country. Saigon fell flat on it's face, hundreds of thousands of ARVN supporters and officers were jailed in concentration camps, Cambodia was invaded and the Khmer Rouge genocide ensued.

While I don't think Obama will take the presidential seat against McCain anyway (and I think McCain himself is being foolish about 'victory' in Iraq), I'm a little chilled by the fact that Barack seems to think just having the troops jump out of Iraq will fix the problem. Everyone who participated in the faux election would almost assuredly be killed, as well as anyone participating in certain Western ideals (like women excercizing equal rights) and any government officials from the puppet government left behind.

Of course, I am a supporter of the notion that the U.S. should militarily vacate, and sooner rather than later (at best, they're only stemming a tide) - which naturally lead me to ask myself, "So, how could it be done?"

This is basically just 'armchair intellectualism' if you will, but I thought of two rough ideas while I was at work. What do you guys think? Do you think the U.S. should pull-out? Do you have your own ideas for how they could do it?

Here's mine:

Pull everybody out

This would be my quick and dirty idea. Just pack-up and go, like they normally would - but bring enough aircraft and hueys along to take all the Iraqi pro-democrats with them. Evacuate that damn tract of desert, and let the insurgents have it if they want the worthless real-estate so bad.

There are, of course, a number of problems with this one - the first being, what the Hell are we going to do with all those people (...Well, I know where all the gorgeous young arab  women can come, at least. Sticking out tongue)? Presumably, especially know that we're entering something of an economic slump, we can't support all that extra influx over here.

There's also the problem of leaving Al-Queda to simply build a pirate state of sorts where Iraq used to be. Perhaps we could negotiate around them to access the oil, perhaps we couldn't - and in either case, they'd do nothing but continue stirring-up shitstorms everywhere they could.

Another one would be infiltration. Perhaps not a lot, but a few extremists would no doubt get flown over with the refugees - and then we get the wonderful possibility of aircraft being flown into buildings again or bombs being set-off (or both).

Why use tanks and soldiers when we've got Ronald McDonald and Lindsay Lohan?

Actually, this plan I don't think is a bad one at all.

The U.S. is not going to win a fight against Islamic extremists, in my opinion, fighting on the latters own terms. Gun to gun, the best they can do is kill them all to the last man - and by the time they've done that, the cost in terms of resources, lives and just plain burning-out what was once a country will likely outweigh the benefits.

So why the fuck are they doing it that way? The Bush administration is fighting stupidly. Culture is an extremely powerful weapon at their disposal. They apparently want to show the Iraqis what democracy and fee trade is all about, yet haven't shown them much of anything beyond better guns and bigger tanks.

Drop-in entreprenuers (real ones, not just oil execs from a select few companies) and let them get their hands dirty. Set-up rows of bars, strip clubs and nightclubs. Set-up fast food chains. Clothing chains. Electronic stores. Get the ball rolling on an entertainment industry. It's a Goddamned untapped market - tap the shit out of it!

Setting-up schools is no good if they just get blown-up by car bombs a few days later or staff can't be found because they're too afraid to work in one. If people are so distracted, shitfaced and entangled in each other's orifices that they can hardly tell their asses from their elbows, much less find time to join a Jihad, disenchantment should start to really take root with the whole 'martyr' thing.

Moreover, good times and vanity are infectious. They're like pink and fluffy cancers from Hell, and sooner of later, some of the hardcore terrorist cells would have some of their membership catch the bug. Buy-in can't be forced at gunpoint - but martyrs would soon realize it sure can be washed over you with the right selling technique and impulses. In my opinion, that's all it would take.

Infighting in the cells themselves would break-out, and the organizations would pull themselves apart and dissolve into organized crime within the new culture springing-up around them. Not all sunshine and rainbows, obviously - but a vast improvement over the previous state of affairs.

The problems I see with this one are that, for starters, you'd have to actually convince entreprenuers to go over there and risk their lives and capital in a warzone to start things - and you'd have to keep them protected, until a 'taboo' bubble really emerged to keep them relatively safe.

You'd also need to keep a number of soldiers posted overseas, so it's not really a full-blown 'pull-out'.

Everyone likely has different ideas regarding what parts of our culture are actually beneficial to be spreading around. No doubt not everyone would be keen on McDonalds continuing to pop-up like a canker every way you look.

...Among others, I'm sure you can poke in it yourself.

Anyway, that's just my mind rattling off things at work, so I'm more interested in what you guys might've thought more seriously about.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I haven't thought that

Well I haven't thought that seriously about it,but generally my opinion is they stay.

"You broke it,you fix it'

Now I'm not sure if they were right to enter in the first place.Maybe they were,maybe they weren't. But they did, and that means an obligation to get it on it's feet. Leaving now would have terrible consequences-civil war in an instant. And like you said, probably some kind of terroist state.

The American losses are bad, but compare to every other war it's still nothing. They've lost 3,000-4,000 in 6 years? As opposed to 406,000, military and civilian, in 4 years of WW2. While I sympathise with their families, no one forced them to join the military. You join, you know that there is the possiblilty you will die in a combat zone one day.It is the purpose of the military to fight.

So,I don't know how or when,but they need to get it resembling a functioning country.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stay long enough to build a

Stay long enough to build a McDonald's in every population center, build at least 30 golf courses. Then pull the troops out, everything will be fine(till the oil runs out).

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can't pullout

Without there being some repercussions, there will be more infighting, some people will die, others will go to jail, however the US stuck it's foot into this and there is no pretty way to get out (should have finished off afghanistan first, captured Osama and then head out to Iraq, but that's a different story). But they have to pull out the troops properly, in a way that will allow the iraqies to defend themselves as well, not just leave them completely open to hostile attacks.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
As my brother said, "We

As my brother said, "We shouldn't be dropping bombs. We should be dropping hot tubs and six packs."

I'm of the "You broke it, you bought it," too, just like Loc. We were lied to in order to get us into the war, but we went more-or-less willingly, as a country. Before we went in, the country was ruled by a vicious dictator, who would kill anyone who stood against him. That resulted in tens of thousands of deaths.

But, the country was stable. Sunnis were marrying Shiites. Women could go to college, and didn't have to go around covered up. Iraq was the most secular country in the middle east, and becoming more so all the time. Water and electricity were readily available, and people could walk down the street without worrying about being shot either by an invading force, or by one of their own countrymen.

Now Baghdad doesn't have regular electricity. There isn't sufficient potable water. The death toll over the last five years is an order of magnitude greater than all of Hussein's regime. The quality of life for the living is atrocious. Mosques and markets are blown up regularly.

There is no solution. None. We won't be able to rebuild until their civil war is over. Our presence is exacerbating the problem, giving the resistance a rallying point. Their government isn't moving towards democracy -- it's in the middle of anarchy, and sliding into chaos.

Here's what I think we should do, from the standpoint of what's best for Iraq:

We should pull out, and put all our forces guarding the oil wells. Stop all oil production. The oil belongs to Iraq, after all. Tell the Iraqis that they can have their oil back once they've put a stable government in place, *any* stable government, someone to whom we can hand the keys to the oil fields.

Provide scholarships to American universities to those who were going to university in Iraq, so they can continue their education while their country stabilizes. This has the added benefit of exposing them to US culture, which isn't bad, aside from the fact we're uber-conservative assholes. Hire hookers to make sure they fall in love with American culture. Then send them back home. Their scholarships are contingent on them going back to Iraq to help rebuild.

Then we should drop hot tubs and six packs.

That's just a quick, off-the-top-of-my-head idea. I'm just making shit up, but somebody's gotta do something. We're not winning in Iraq, unless by "winning" you mean, totally fucking everything and everyone up.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Time to go...

Just Pull out.

Mission Accomplished, party over, get the fuck out of dodge, leave, depart and will the last man out of Bagdad please turn out the lights...

Yes, the aftermath will be bloody, brutal and whoever wins will undoubtably be antithical to American interests...

We suck at nation building.

We suck at social engineering.

We proved we could win a war, but we've also proven we can not win the peace.

Just get out, NOW.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
the situation is much to

the situation is much to complex for any fourm answers, we really cannot give an accurate plan by such means, expecially with our lack of internal knowledge (ie. presidential knowledge... seriously... hehe ). But it really comes down to 2 options,

Will America do whats right for America?

or

Will America do whats right for the World?

What Would Kharn Do?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Create a pipeline for the

Create a pipeline for the oil refineries to pump oil directly to the US

Set a contingent of forces to secure the oil refineries and set up minefields around each refinery

Increase production to max capacity, and only export to US and what the Iraqis need to run their country

Tell them this is to pay us back, for the money pit their country has become, and to stave off our Iraq-induced recession(they won't care, but meh).

Pull out all troops that are not explicitly needed in Operation Fossil Fuels, which would be probably 95 %

Abandon the refineries once the oil is gone, come home as heroes!

Problem Solved

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Why use

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Why use tanks and soldiers when we've got Ronald McDonald and Lindsay Lohan?[/b]

Vietnam was lost militarily, but won culturally with globalization. The cold war was not one with better military and weapons but with cheeseburgers, rock-n-roll and Hollywood. There is no defence against Ronald McDonald, Elvis, Heavy Metal and Disney for the kids.

As for Al-Qaeda, air drop Victoria's secret catalog's across the middle east. Open a store in Mecca. Have the CIA start a rumor than in Western Religions, you get 92 nymphomaniacs(better than virgins, they know what they're doing) in Paradise as long as you don't kill anyone.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:the

The Doomed Soul wrote:

the situation is much to complex for any fourm answers, we really cannot give an accurate plan by such means, expecially with our lack of internal knowledge (ie. presidential knowledge... seriously... hehe ). But it really comes down to 2 options,

or

Given that the world is apparently unwilling to do what is right for the world, I'd be tempted to give America a pass no matter which way it answers the question.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:Given that

Tilberian wrote:

Given that the world is apparently unwilling to do what is right for the world, I'd be tempted to give America a pass no matter which way it answers the question.

Well thats just it, it doesnt matter which option they pick, their both acceptable, they both have positives and negatives to be sure... but they cannot pick "both or neither", as it only comes with pitfalls

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Kevin R Brown

EXC wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Why use tanks and soldiers when we've got Ronald McDonald and Lindsay Lohan?[/b]

Vietnam was lost militarily, but won culturally with globalization. The cold war was not one with better military and weapons but with cheeseburgers, rock-n-roll and Hollywood. There is no defence against Ronald McDonald, Elvis, Heavy Metal and Disney for the kids.

As for Al-Qaeda, air drop Victoria's secret catalog's across the middle east. Open a store in Mecca. Have the CIA start a rumor than in Western Religions, you get 92 nymphomaniacs(better than virgins, they know what they're doing) in Paradise as long as you don't kill anyone.

My second point exactly.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd be just tickled if our

I'd be just tickled if our next president (assuming he or she is a Democrat, since McCain would never do this) started off his or her presidency by issuing a huge apology to the Middle East - to the people of Iraq in particular.

A little humility could go a long way.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Me too geirj, I AM so

Me too geirj, I AM so embarrassed ....

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:I'd be just

geirj wrote:

I'd be just tickled if our next president (assuming he or she is a Democrat, since McCain would never do this) started off his or her presidency by issuing a huge apology to the Middle East - to the people of Iraq in particular.

A little humility could go a long way.

Everything I know I learned in kindergarten.

Yeah, I'd have to say, this would be a good start. Followed by some serious action in proving the humility and contrition, we might even be able to leave Iraq with a bit of humble honour, though we'll never be able to remove our disgrace.

But a simple, "We're sorry we killed all those people" would go a long way.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Will America do whats

Quote:

or

reminds me of a John Oliver joke. He says this is the economics exam given in colleges in America:

Multiple choice: Kenya has 2 apples. America wants those apples. How many apples does Kenya have?

a)no apples

that's it.

But on a more serious note, why in the hell do we want to "win" by dropping our culture in there? If there's anything worse than a bombed-out shell of a city it's a city with a damn Starbucks on every corner. I know I personally can't stand most of American culture, and I'm sure most people that have posted here at least at some level agree with me.  Why do we need to drown the rest of the world in our ocean of bullshit?

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
What the hell would  our

What the hell would  our 'culture' do for a society where it is legal to marry underage women on a temporary basis??? Mu'tah

Let alone the 'Nikah misyar' marriage where sex is the only connection between the man and woman. He owes no money for child support either and can have multiple misyar arrangements. She has the right to charge him for each encounter, but if the price is too high then he can merely dissolve the arrangement and walk away.

Honestly, do we have ANYTHING that can compete with that?

We sit around watching E! television thinking "Mmm-Mmmm. Boy, I sure would like a piece of Lindsay/Britney/Cameron/whomever."  Meanwhile, Islamic middle-aged men are negotiating with 'Daddy' over the dowry paid to bang his hot tan 16 yr. old daughter for 10 hours.

The 'beat them with our culture' idea is lame at best.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But on a more serious

Quote:
But on a more serious note, why in the hell do we want to "win" by dropping our culture in there? If there's anything worse than a bombed-out shell of a city it's a city with a damn Starbucks on every corner.

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you that ignorant of our standard of living vs that of those in the Persian Gulf?

I'm no proponent of the idea that ours is the 'right' or 'perfect' culture, but it's literally centuries ahead of theirs in most respects. I realize you were exaggerating, but it'll also piss most war veterans off to suggest to them that the 'horrors' of corporate monopoly at all compare to the horrors of an actual active warzone.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

10101's picture
User is offlineOffline
American culture, for as

American culture, for as much as it may be lacking, is definitely something that cannot be resisted.

Get rid of the trade embargoes on Iran, on Saudi Arabia and the other nations in that region. Not even the Berlin wall could stand up to the Big Mac and Coca Cola.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I'm no

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm no proponent of the idea that ours is the 'right' or 'perfect' culture, but it's literally centuries ahead of theirs in most respects. I realize you were exaggerating, but it'll also piss most war veterans off to suggest to them that the 'horrors' of corporate monopoly at all compare to the horrors of an actual active warzone.

I was saying I'd rather have no cities than those we have now. People were never meant to live this way. When you say "centuries ahead" maybe you mean bigger, stronger, more industrious. I don't see these as positives.

And most veterans continue to get pissed when they realize they aren't fighting for freedom, the way they're told they are. I believe for a person to commit and possibly give their life for freedom is quite possibly the most noble thing on earth; and I believe most soldiers strive for this. Unfortunately, the higher-ups giving orders are typically misleading them, one of the greatest evils I know.

10101 wrote:

American culture, for as much as it may be lacking, is definitely something that cannot be resisted.

But it is resisted. And hopefully will be until it eventually falls.

-Carl Sagan

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was saying I'd

Quote:

I was saying I'd rather have no cities than those we have now. People were never meant to live this way. When you say "centuries ahead" maybe you mean bigger, stronger, more industrious. I don't see these as positives.

Oh, yay. More privo-anarchistic 'noble savage' bullshit.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Oh, yay. More

Quote:

Oh, yay. More privo-anarchistic 'noble savage' bullshit.

More "we can just reform the system of its flaws and live happily ever after" bullshit, I'd say. But personal political beliefs aside, as an atheist you should know on a scientific level humans weren't meant to live this way.  We're not evolved for it.   The massive populations/crowding, our diets, general "laziness" compared to what we're built for, the lack of natural selection, etc. We stopped evolving but the technology never does, and as a species we(at least the overwhelming majority of us) aren't equipped to handle it.

-Carl Sagan

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:We stopped

pyrokidd wrote:

We stopped evolving but the technology never does, and as a species we(at least the overwhelming majority of us) aren't equipped to handle it.

Can you prove we've stopped evolving? I think that's abit of an assumption. By all means,feel free to go live in a mud hut somewhere, but I think it would be pretty silly,and a waste of hundreds of generations' efforts, to revert back yo the Bronze Age because we're having some problems.For all we know people say this stuff ever few hundred years.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Can you prove

Loc wrote:

Can you prove we've stopped evolving?

Actually Loc, in "theory" *wink wink* we have stopped "naturally" evolving, and have advanced to the point of where our next steps are 100% artifically determined.

Natural evolution- being by chance, and "out of nessecity", being bound by what we cannot over-come

Artificial evolution- being everything we now have control over, and the decisions we make as a species

i think its a good theory... in theory ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: i

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I'll admit in not too versed on evolution. I've often read though that evolution doesn't work towards an end goal,so it wouldn't seem to match for humans to know be suitably evolved and now stop. I agree with you that our capacity for artifical selection has overcome natural selection. So I suppose in that way we have stopped.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:The Doomed Soul

Loc wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I've often read though that evolution doesn't work towards an end goal,so it wouldn't seem to match for humans to know be suitably evolved and now stop.

Your correct, the evolution hasnt stopped, just the "natural" evolution.

What Would Kharn Do?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Can you prove

Loc wrote:

Can you prove we've stopped evolving? I think that's abit of an assumption. By all means,feel free to go live in a mud hut somewhere, but I think it would be pretty silly,and a waste of hundreds of generations' efforts, to revert back yo the Bronze Age because we're having some problems.For all we know people say this stuff ever few hundred years.

It's more than an assumption -- it's ludicrous. You can't just step outside nature. You can change your environment, but you cannot stop natural processes. At least, not without removing all elements of the process. (A big solar event might do it, at least for earth.)

Of course we are evolving. One thing we are doing that is a part of evolution: we are increasing the diversity of alleles. The greater the diversity, the greater the chance of survival during the next sudden major environmental shift. Most of us might night survive, but some of us will most likely survive. And as long as people are breeding, evolution is occurring. Natural selection is not evolution. It's merely one (admittedly important) mechanism in the process. As long as we are still bound by genes, we are part of that process. We are evolving to live in cities, and eat terrible, over-processed food, for instance.

As for artificial guidance of evolution: that won't happen in our lifetimes. Maybe in a few generations, but only after many more problems are solved. Right now, the human race is still dominated by random breeders, rather than genetic engineering, or even selective breeding.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:As for

nigelTheBold wrote:

As for artificial guidance of evolution: that won't happen in our lifetimes. Maybe in a few generations, but only after many more problems are solved. Right now, the human race is still dominated by random breeders, rather than genetic engineering, or even selective breeding.

Actually the "artificial guidance" began when we discovered how to use fire, its just been snow balling ever since. Gene-manipulation is a whole other ball of wax >.<

What Would Kharn Do?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Actually the "artificial guidance" began when we discovered how to use fire, its just been snow balling ever since. Gene-manipulation is a whole other ball of wax >.<

That's still not artificial guidance. That's simply manipulating our environment. That's really not much different than a beaver building a dam, or a raven dropping a clam from a great height to smash open the shell, or an otter doing the same thing (smashing the shell) with a rock. That hasn't stopped evolution from working on us. It's just allowed us to make our lives easier, ensuring more of us survive.

I think I see what you're getting at -- that we are changing our environment intentionally, and our selection follows that intentional manipulation of our environment. And that's true. I guess I just take exception to the term "artificial guidance," which implies a sort-of intentional manipulation of our gene pool. In fact, we are still part of nature, and still subject to natural laws. Our manipulation of the environment affects our gene selection, but not in any intentional fashion. It's still just nature doing its stuff. It's still natural evolution.

I'd go as far as to say our manipulation of our environment is just as natural as the beaver building its dam. The "artificial" distinction in this context is misleading.

Once we start large-scale genetic manipulation of our genome, we can say we're artificially manipulating evolution. Until then, it's just nature.

At least, that's how I view it. As per usual, I could very well be wrong.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Now now... just hear me out,

Now now... just hear me out, to me it makes perfect sense, but then again, my thoughts -- my mind.

Every time Humans do something that influences their own evolution, its artifical evolution, this does not mean gene-manipulation. When we discovered fire, that was our very first time, that we began to influence.

Environment + Time + Need = Change or Die = Evolution does it not?

Our species never NEEDED fire... but we acquired it any way, thus changing our environment

And since we still have fire and its modern kin, i can assume its stood the test of time, and has influenced our development, can i not? Ever wonder what we would look like today if we had never discovered fire? (physically not technologically) granted we'll never know, but i predict thick fur and more body fat >.> (like every other damn mammal)

How about Hunting tools? lets say... Fishing Nets, or Bows?

Alot easier then your bare hands, they've been around almost as long as fire, and have provided ample food for countless beings. What could be the possible out come? denser muscle mass, thicker bone structure? more body fat? true, its strictly dietary and nutrition until you count in the years... maybe thats why our species is much taller and more well structured then 2000 years ago? let alone 4000

Those were 2 bare bones examples of artifical evolution.

Yes, both involve primitive technology, and if you clued into that, congratulations, you've just figured out what triggers artificial evolution.

Which pretty much leads me to a theory of mine... Humans can no longer naturally evolve... As we have pretty much total dominion over all our elements/environments... only thing left to conqueor is time and need...

What Would Kharn Do?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Now

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Now now... just hear me out, to me it makes perfect sense, but then again, my thoughts -- my mind.

Every time Humans do something that influences their own evolution, its artifical evolution, this does not mean gene-manipulation. When we discovered fire, that was our very first time, that we began to influence.

Environment + Time + Need = Change or Die = Evolution does it not?

Our species never NEEDED fire... but we acquired it any way, thus changing our environment

And since we still have fire and its modern kin, i can assume its stood the test of time, and has influenced our development, can i not? Ever wonder what we would look like today if we had never discovered fire? (physically not technologically) granted we'll never know, but i predict thick fur and more body fat >.> (like every other damn mammal)

How about Hunting tools? lets say... Fishing Nets, or Bows?

Alot easier then your bare hands, they've been around almost as long as fire, and have provided ample food for countless beings. What could be the possible out come? denser muscle mass, thicker bone structure? more body fat? true, its strictly dietary and nutrition until you count in the years... maybe thats why our species is much taller and more well structured then 2000 years ago? let alone 4000

Those were 2 bare bones examples of artifical evolution.

Yes, both involve primitive technology, and if you clued into that, congratulations, you've just figured out what triggers artificial evolution.

Which pretty much leads me to a theory of mine... Humans can no longer naturally evolve... As we have pretty much total dominion over all our elements/environments... only thing left to conqueor is time and need...

That's pretty much what I figured you were getting at. To me, the things humans do is part of nature. The whole argument that we are removed from nature is just an artefact of thinking we are somehow above other animals, and separate from (or masters of) the world. That's the part with which I disagree. The otter's use of a rock to get at food is no different than us using a bow and arrow (or .30-.30, or a supermarket) to get at food. It's still part of nature. So, though we influence our own environment to a larger degree than otters or ravens or beavers, our difference is one of magnitude, not substance. The substance, as far as evolution is concerned, is identical.

Of course, I suspect it's more a matter of semantics than actual conceptualization. I think the real discussion we're having is whether humans have removed themselves from nature.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:That's

nigelTheBold wrote:

That's pretty much what I figured you were getting at. To me, the things humans do is part of nature. The whole argument that we are removed from nature is just an artefact of thinking we are somehow above other animals, and separate from (or masters of) the world. That's the part with which I disagree. The otter's use of a rock to get at food is no different than us using a bow and arrow (or .30-.30, or a supermarket) to get at food. It's still part of nature. So, though we influence our own environment to a larger degree than otters or ravens or beavers, our difference is one of magnitude, not substance. The substance, as far as evolution is concerned, is identical.

Well considering i believe my self to be superior to most other humans, i find it no suprise that i find myself thinking i am superior to most animals ^_^

So Nigel... is it natural for a species to create a substance that does not exist in nature and then ingest it on a daily basis?

I'd say no

Is a diamond created in a lab, the same value as a diamond created through millions of years... in nature?

I'd say no

nigelTheBold wrote:

Of course, I suspect it's more a matter of semantics than actual conceptualization. I think the real discussion we're having is whether humans have removed themselves from nature.

Well, i for one am not above pointless discussion if it makes people think or laugh

What Would Kharn Do?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Well

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Well considering i believe my self to be superior to most other humans, i find it no suprise that i find myself thinking i am superior to most animals ^_^

Heh. Isn't that the case for all of us? I doubt there's many people who are willing to admit they are average, or worse yet, below average.

Of course, those of us who are superior have a more refined certainty. And better taste. Not that we taste better, though we probably do.

Quote:

So Nigel... is it natural for a species to create a substance that does not exist in nature and then ingest it on a daily basis?

I'd say no

In relation to evolution, this is still simply a modification of the environment, not substantially different from animals that use tools to acquire their food. We are adapting to a strangely modified environment, but we are doing so in just exactly the same way as if these substances did occur in nature. I don't see how this affects the natural process of evolution, other than to adapt us to artificial chemicals (for instance). The process of evolution doesn't change, and so is still natural.

Artificial evolution would be to pre-adapt a species to an environment via direct genetic meddling (DGM). Otherwise, we're just taking advantage of a natural process. Hell, human evolution isn't even as artificial as the domestication of bovines and dogs. That's what gets me: we're more careful with our pets and sources of food than we are ourselves.

Of course, now I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. You have an excellent point, but I'll be damned if I admit it.

Quote:

Is a diamond created in a lab, the same value as a diamond created through millions of years... in nature?

I'd say no

It depends on the current metric of valuation. Monetarily, probably not. For many uses, they are of exactly the same value, as they are essentially the same thing. As an analogy for human evolution, it doesn't work because an artificial diamond is grown in the lab, using methods different from the methods that produce natural diamonds. In human evolution, the methods haven't changed, just the environment.

Hah! I'm just quibbling again. 'cause I can.

Quote:

Well, i for one am not above pointless discussion if it makes people think or laugh

Me neither. I like pointless discussions. Of course, we've completely hijacked this thread, which was supposed to be all about Iraq.

I have been greatly enjoying it, though. Perhaps we should create a new thread?

Okay. I created a new thread. I took the liberty of quoting you. Hope you don't mind. If so, I'll apologize profusely. Really, I will.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I now ponder the quere of

I now ponder the quere of whether or not thread hijacking is natural or artifical thread evolution...

What Would Kharn Do?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: Why

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Why use tanks and soldiers when we've got Ronald McDonald and Lindsay Lohan?

Actually Iraq has already by corrupted by US values. Number of cellphones in 2003 in Iraq-zero, number in 2008-7 million and growing. Look at the news videos and spot US corruption at work. Iraq will never go back to the repressive society it was. They have seen and used US culture. Coke, Big Macs, Levis, Porno, and cellphones will beat them just like the Iron curtain.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.