Baby Dropping Ritual.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3140
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Baby Dropping Ritual.

Of all the stupid things people do to their children in the name of religion:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4791847&page=1

But maybe this is how the religion keeps going. Another generation of brain damaged children to embrace the superstition.

 

But we need to the sensitive to the cultural of "people of faith".

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
You have to wonder how far

You have to wonder how far this 'part of my religon thing' goes. If you decided it was part of your religion to cut off your infants limbs and burn them alive, what would they do? Respect your cultural difference? It's ironic American doctors are'concerned' over the practise, then send their children to church to stuff up their heads anyway.

You can apply it to any aspect of life.Why not rob a bank and say it's part of your religion..

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
If there was a relgion that

If there was a relgion that included cutting off infants limbs and burning them alive, said religion would die out rather quickly even if it was tolerated. Yes, this tradition is pretty fucked up - seems a more cultural thing as moslems don't normally do this.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If there

MattShizzle wrote:

If there was a relgion that included cutting off infants limbs and burning them alive, said religion would die out rather quickly even if it was tolerated.

Well obviously not killing every infant they have.Just the occasional one to appease the infant god.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
Posts: 539
Joined: 2006-08-14
User is offlineOffline
What. The. Fuck.Yes, it

What. The. Fuck.

Yes, it hurts them. That's why they end up doing this to their kids with a big stupid grin on their face.

Seems more cultural than religious. Then again, I have no patience for cultural bullshit either. What's evil is evil. This is just messed up.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby


Aletheia
Posts: 1
Joined: 2008-06-22
User is offlineOffline
Really?

Hyperbolic responses, all.  The article only speculates about potential brain damage.  I suppose y'all consider yourselves rational, so where's the evidence that this ancient ritual is harmfull?  Dr. Zanga even says the babies in question are better suited to handle the fall than adults.  Nobody is harmed and these superstitious religious Hindus continue to make up the largest growing segment of American medical doctors.  ZOMG?


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
They're Moslems, not Hindus,

They're Moslems, not Hindus, dumbass. And being thrown off a several story building is inappropriate for any age.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
Aletheia wrote:Hyperbolic

Aletheia wrote:
Hyperbolic responses, all.  The article only speculates about potential brain damage.  I suppose y'all consider yourselves rational, so where's the evidence that this ancient ritual is harmfull?  Dr. Zanga even says the babies in question are better suited to handle the fall than adults.  Nobody is harmed and these superstitious religious Hindus continue to make up the largest growing segment of American medical doctors.  ZOMG?

The reason babies are "better suited" is because they do not realise what is happening and therefore do not tense up in fear as an adult would do.  It's like a rigid car with no crumple zone compared to one with a crumple zone.  That very small area of a car that crumples is enough to provide a longer change in speed, enough to have a serious difference in the amount of injuries the occupants receive.  A limp body when hitting the ground etc provides a similar affect not only on the limbs that hit the ground but the rest of the body too.

Now, I am well aware that the kids get caught on a blanket to slow them down and don't actually hit the ground, but this is the reason why the claim of "better suited" is made.

Lets take a look at your own rationality seeing as you find it so fitting to arbitrarily attack others'.  You seem quite content to take the word of a reporter with no questions asked, one whom asked the very people performing the ritual about injuries.  Sure they'd be witness to more of these rituals than anyone else but being participants they would also be more eager to defend their actions and twist the numbers.

On top of that, this ritual isn't performed by the entire Hindu community but rather by certain small factions in the odd area here and there.  You are presupposing a correlation between the people and the American medical field, unless of course you have numbers to back up your claim about those participating in the rituals also making up the largest growing segment of American medical doctors? 

ZOMG?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3140
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Aletheia wrote:Hyperbolic

Aletheia wrote:

Hyperbolic responses, all.  The article only speculates about potential brain damage.  I suppose y'all consider yourselves rational, so where's the evidence that this ancient ritual is harmfull?  Dr. Zanga even says the babies in question are better suited to handle the fall than adults.  Nobody is harmed and these superstitious religious Hindus continue to make up the largest growing segment of American medical doctors.  ZOMG?

So you're willing to gamble with a baby's life and health? In the name of superstition and religion? The burden of proof is on you and the people who practice this that it is safe 100% of the time. If you want to do this to yourself, go ahead. But it's not your life, in any kind of civilized society it's up to the adults to protect children 100% of the time.

I suppose you believe children are to serve the psychological deficiencies of their parents. To not think for themselves but to mindless robots that never question or think for themselves and just follow the religion and customs of the parents/soceity. How sad to think that love is forcing someone to be whatever serves your deficiencies.

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
First of all again, they're

First of all again, they're Moslems, not Hindus.

 

My main point is that this is a particular irrational idea that annoys me - believing that anything another culture does is fine just because it's another culture. So what? Some things are just plain fucked up. If the Aztec civilization had survived and not changed much would you say human sacrafice was fine because it's their culture? What about in actual Hindu culture burning women alive when their husbands die - this has been illegal in India for centuries but still happens in rural areas. What about Moslems who commit "honor killings?" What about female circumcision? All these things are disgusting whether done in another culture or not.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Boon Docks
Posts: 415
Joined: 2007-03-04
User is offlineOffline
Aletheia wrote:Hyperbolic

Aletheia wrote:

Hyperbolic responses, all.  The article only speculates about potential brain damage.  I suppose y'all consider yourselves rational, so where's the evidence that this ancient ritual is harmfull?  Dr. Zanga even says the babies in question are better suited to handle the fall than adults.  Nobody is harmed and these superstitious religious Hindus continue to make up the largest growing segment of American medical doctors.  ZOMG?

 

Do you honestly believe that an infant would not be hurt by this so called 'ancient ritual'?  I hope like hell your not the babysitter I've heard about.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I'm guessing if you asked Dr

I'm guessing if you asked Dr Sanjay Gupta if this was a good idea he wouldn't say it was.


WWMD
WWMD's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2008-05-21
User is offlineOffline
There *is* a Difference!

Loc wrote:

You have to wonder how far this 'part of my religon thing' goes. If you decided it was part of your religion to cut off your infants limbs and burn them alive, what would they do? Respect your cultural difference? It's ironic American doctors are'concerned' over the practise, then send their children to church to stuff up their heads anyway.

You can apply it to any aspect of life.Why not rob a bank and say it's part of your religion..

 

Well, there is a difference between filling a kid's head full of shit and knocking the shit out of a kid's head.

 

Freedom of Religion has never extended to infringing upon another person's common law rights nor to causing serious harm to a minor child. That is why adult Jehovah's Witnesses can refuse a blood transfusion but cannot withold one from their children.

 

Child-dropping seems harmful, abusive and just downright stupid to us, but it seems to me that if it really hurt the kids, their parents would have stopped doing it years ago. What I would like to know is if anyone has done a study to determine if the practice causes any sort of dysfunctionality when the children reach adulthood.

 

WWMD

 

Imagine what America would be like if the people who worked at Walmart were the only people who owned Walmart.


Ken G.
Bronze Member
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
What a Shame

,But what  I really mean is what the F<>K!!! I wonder how many of the villagers participate in this Barbaric Ritual .That is truly a shame and its very sad to watch children be used to promote their superstitions.

 

Signature ? How ?


Sakura.
Sakura.'s picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2008-08-04
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:My main

MattShizzle wrote:
My main point is that this is a particular irrational idea that annoys me - believing that anything another culture does is fine just because it's another culture.

 

What you are referring to is "cultural relativism".  It makes me sick too.  Just because something is accepted in a specific culture does not make it correct.  If we, as people gifted with reason, see that something is wrong with a particular practice, it is our moral duty to speak up.  "Accepted" does not translate to "right".

Granted, a lot of tolerance and understanding must be exchanged between different cultures.  If you are not from within the culture, you will never fully understand it.  But cultural or not, some things are just plain wrong, and you are not only entitled but obligated to say so.

Honestly, if we find it unacceptable for teenagers and adults to WILLINGLY jump from buildings, why should it be all right for infrants to be dropped from buildings against their wills?

Tickling Sakura's Funnybone

thingy wrote:

David wrote:
Actually, thousands of people witnessed his existence on earth, and many testified to his existence in the pages of the Bible.

That's true, just as there's thousands of people who witnessed Harry Potter's existence on earth in the Harry Potter series of books.

mrjonno wrote:
I will drink to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and hope his appendages touch you in the most pleasurable of ways

HisWillness wrote:
Keep it in Your pants, saviour boy.


Hmac
Hmac's picture
Posts: 93
Joined: 2008-08-03
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:First of

MattShizzle wrote:

First of all again, they're Moslems, not Hindus.

 

They're both, actually. Says so in the video.

But I still disagree with the superstition behind why they do it.


Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
Posts: 128
Joined: 2007-12-28
User is offlineOffline
Wow.

So I wonder what your qualifications have to be before you get that job. Do you have to practice throwing, like, water balloons or horse manure at people from rooftops? Or do you just start dropping babies from day one?

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
While I have no problem with

While I have no problem with agreeing that tossing babies off a roof is hardly a good thing for anyone concerned, it should also be noted that the overzealousness of people in general today in regards to caring for children is disgusting. A little risk in youth is a requirement for a balanced individual in adulthood. Someone who has been protected from the world their entire life will be in no condition to participate in it upon reaching adulthood.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.