ACE Education

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
ACE Education

Accelerated Christian Education. Anyone ever heard of it? It's the education system I spent my whole school career in.Here's the wiki article which is fairly informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Christian_Education

There's one thing you have to know really

Quote:

The Accelerated Christian Education statement of faith holds the following beliefs:[5]

• The plenary, verbal inspiration of the Bible, equally and in all parts and without error;
  • The one God, eternally existent Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Who created man by a direct, immediate act;
  • The fall of man, the need for regeneration by the operation of the Holy Spirit through personal faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour on the basis of grace alone, and the resurrection of every person to either eternal life or eternal damnation;
  • The spiritual relationship of all believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, living a life of righteous works, separated from the world, and witnessing of His saving grace through the ministry of the Holy Spirit;
  • The Biblical mandate of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission for all Believers to proclaim the Gospel and to disciple all nations.

Basically you have an entire preshool to graduation circuculum revloving around those tenents.Other gems of education include:

Quote:

Science is defined as:'the search for the principles of God's creation based upon reproducible experiments.... We should always subject a principle to the test of the Bible"

Quote:

Year 10 Biology has units on the facts of creation, and critiques of evolution, ecology, and conservation

Quote:

The Bible is completely against any such theory. Evolution claims that man arose through a series of random changes. The theory leaves no room for man's responsibility or man's sin. If evolution were true, no man would be born a sinner because Adam would never have fallen and committed the original sin of disobedience to God. If evolution were true, Christ would not have needed to die for our sin

This system is completley different to conventional schools.Students work by themselves in small cubicles,set their own goals and pages for the day,score their work,and only call a teacher when in need of help our to get out their chair. Since this system seems to assume it's students are good christian children who can score their own work, it is little more than an exercise in how to cheat. Teachers constantly come up with new anti-cheating methods,which are in turn thwarted within days. There are no exams,rather you have a test at the end of every PACE(Packet of Accelerated Christian Education)which take about 3 weeks to finish. All PACE's have a specific scripture verse that must be knowwn for the test.

Activities include assembly,basically church,ie praise and worship with sermon,followed by some school announcements, multiple devotions in the week,quiet or bible study times, and prayer at least three times a day. In retrospect, it's like going to school in a cult bulilding.

Now these schools are not,as you might imagine, isolated home school efforts. I have no idea what they're like in America these days, but in SA they do quite well. They are usually small,100-150 students Gr K-12, but there are probably four within ten km of my house. That said, there is no danger of them ever becoming a rival to public schools. Still,they have their own sports association and events, and of course Student Converntion,a once a year activity where over a thousand ACE students from all over Africa compete in hundreds of events rangng anything you can think of. Those who do particularly well are nominated to go to the International Convention in America.(I was nominated 5 times for scripture memory activities.However they aren't willing to help with the 30grand required.) Going to an ACE school in SA is like a private little world,where everyone knows evryone.

As you can imagine,this system isn't for everyone.It takes a particularly brainwashed child to not go mad, and it attracts a lot of problem students that normal schools won't take. Many graduates feel it did a completley inadequate job of preparing them for university and life. I have no doubt that many ACE students completley derail when they leave the sheltered confines of their christian soceity,I have seen it many times.

I believe the entire system is little more than a joke.It's own students constantly mock most aspects of it.So,anybody heard of these?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Around here they're called

Around here they're called "Private <insert_denomination_here> Schools" and they are EVERYWHERE. They seem to be predominantly catholic, but there are baptist ones and, occasionally, you'll see an episcopalian one. Luckily though, the states hold these schools to at least a basic educational standard, so they can't get away with doing nothing.

I don't think there is anything quite like ACE here in the states. I could be wrong, however.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Know the system well - a

Know the system well - a Church I used to attend ran such a school. They even asked me to be principal. I was 16 at the time.

The pastor kept it around long enough to graduate his kids under it.

Agreed - a foolish system. The kids I knew who went through it were just barely qualified for fast food jobs. Then they went to public school to finish and improved quite a bit.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
dead_again wrote: I don't

dead_again wrote:

I don't think there is anything quite like ACE here in the states. I could be wrong, however.

There are,it started there and the International Convention is there every year. You'll find lot's of American ACE students in Facebook groups.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Shows just how stupid some

Shows just how stupid some people are. Pay a shitload of money to make sure their kids DON'T get an education.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Anyone remember Vogon

Anyone remember Vogon poetry from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That approximates my reaction to reading the original post.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Anyone

HisWillness wrote:

Anyone remember Vogon poetry from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That approximates my reaction to reading the original post.

Don't make me recite some...

Or would you rather I regale you with my interpretation of "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning"?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Epic Fail!

Epic Fail!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:Epic

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Epic Fail!

Me or ACE?

Don't confuse me, I'm old.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:it is little more than

Quote:
it is little more than an exercise in how to cheat. Teachers constantly come up with new anti-cheating methods,which are in turn thwarted within days. There are no exams,rather you have a test at the end of every PACE(Packet of Accelerated Christian Education)which take about 3 weeks to finish. All PACE's have a specific scripture verse that must be knowwn for the test.

Well, actually, I sort-of find this appealing. Certainly it's no substitute for actual learning of worldly mechanisms, but there's a lot someone can learn over the course of undermining control mechanisms.

Though perhaps that isn't the best use for a schooling system. Sticking out tongue

I think some kind of 'break this program/system' and 'learn how to cheat' program should be part of a much more full curriculum. Of course, I also think homework is a stupid concept and schools presently suck in general, so take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:
That said, there is no danger of them ever becoming a rival to public schools.

I think private schools are the best kind of schools. That's why hearing about all of these shitty ones upsets me.

A facility should have to meet certain basic requirements before it can actually be entitled a 'school', much in the same way a doctor needs an actual doctorate before he can claim the title.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I think

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I think private schools are the best kind of schools. That's why hearing about all of these shitty ones upsets me.

Maybe private secualar schools. Since all my schools were private and therefore had no goverment funding,and they were really stingy,we had disticntly below standard stuff. If the school wanted anything,they would mke us organise fundraisers. We had few computers and absolutley no lab or science equipment,not a single test tube.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How terrible were those

How terrible were those science classes? "Science is the work of the devil and shouldn't be studied. Read the Bible instead."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I spent a year in an ACE

I spent a year in an ACE school. Not surprisingly, it was the year I went creationist.