My new favorite quote

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
My new favorite quote

I have no idea if this is conversation-worthy, but it's my new favorite quote for a while.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- H.G. Wells, from The Wife of Sir Isaac Harman

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like righteous bigotry? 

Like righteous bigotry?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ummm: but, I AM morally

ummm: but,  I AM morally indignant and not at all jealous ! I dig Wells. I will now google that quote , for more relevance ..... 

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Samizdata+slogan+of+the+day&btnG=Google+Search

First one ,  

Well I never! How can Wells say such things?

Anthony, of course moral indignation exists, and if one takes the statement literally (as you chose to do for some reason), then yes Wells is full of crap. Obviously, Wells meant that moral indignation is frequently (but not always) jealousy in diguise. He was probably referring to public nudity laws or something.

Would you rather he have said "I find that fequently moral indignation is little more than jealousy with a halo. Of course moral indignation exists, but it's often misplaced and hypocritical."? It doesn't flow quite as nicely, does it?

ETC      

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I have no

Hambydammit wrote:

I have no idea if this is conversation-worthy, but it's my new favorite quote for a while.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- H.G. Wells, from The Wife of Sir Isaac Harman

I prefer this one "Any good religion just needs one rule: hats optional" - George Carlin

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I like the one "religious

I like the one "religious war is people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I like the

MattShizzle wrote:

I like the one "religious war is people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend."

or better hats.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I like the

MattShizzle wrote:

I dont know how true this is, but someone told me that quote is from yassir arifat

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Somehow I doubt that he

Somehow I doubt that he would have said that. It pretty much had to be an atheist. It was in Gospel of the FSM, but Bobby Henderson just said "someone" said it and didn't remember who.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team