The Way

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Way

..not to be confused with the way of the master...

I was recently chatting with Watcher about childhood ...and a memory came back to me: I remember a book in my parents bedroom called "The Way". It was always on the dresser, never offered to us kids as reading material and although I would notice it move from one side of the dresser to the other, neither parent mentioned the book or the contents. I even remember opening it up, expecting to see dirty pictures, but reading something about 'god'.

"The Way" is an organization that has been around since 1942 helping those who desire to know god with research... I did not grow up in a 'religious' household so I am very curious about how my parents got this book. I wonder if 'the way' is a door to door group? Have any of you heard of this organization?

-Renee

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The only "The Way" I recall

The only "The Way" I recall seeing as a kid was an illustrated Living Bible for young people.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The only "The

jcgadfly wrote:

The only "The Way" I recall seeing as a kid was an illustrated Living Bible for young people.

This was definitely an adult book, who knows what sort of influence a kids picture bible may have had on me Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

This was definitely an adult book, who knows what sort of influence a kids picture bible may have had on me Smiling

The only 'The Way' I'm familiar with are the zealous teachings of the Seraphim. Prior to my Cybran Monkeylords microwaving their extra-dimensional asses from the universe.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Well, the book I saw did paraphrase  1 Samuel  20:30's "You son of a perverse, rebellious woman " as "You son of a bitch!" Smiling

Of course, The Message (a version of the Bible my wife dearly loves) has that passage as "You son of a slut" and the New Living Translation now uses "You son of a whore"

The love of God for women just oozes out of his book, doesn't it?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
You must be talking abouth

You must be talking abouth The Way International:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International 

I knew some people that were in it. It kind of combined the hippie, flower power with Christianity. It is considered a cult by mainstream Christians for not teaching the Trinity. Mainly appealed to the young. I think it died down with the end of the hippie movement.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:You must be

EXC wrote:

You must be talking abouth The Way International:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International 

I knew some people that were in it. It kind of combined the hippie, flower power with Christianity. It is considered a cult by mainstream Christians for not teaching the Trinity. Mainly appealed to the young. I think it died down with the end of the hippie movement.

Thanks! Wiki has quite a bit of information to fill in the gaps for the organizations website.

I am going to have to ask my mother where she got that book. It was late 70's when I remember seeing it and I am sure there was no religion or jesus-speak communicated in the household (or at least none that took hold)

She is a book rat...thousands of books populate her basement... maybe she found it at a garage sale OR she had a secret relationship with Jesus Christ and was part of that movement. I love a mystery Smiling And NOW I want to read the copy she had!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/