American Idol

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
American Idol

[rant on]

Does anyone have any idea where the appeal for this idiotic show comes from? I personally can't stand any reality shows. I get really annoyed hearing people talk about it all the time like it's something worth watching. I would rather have a pliers taken to my testicles than watch it. I think anyone who watches this drivel should be automatically officially considered retarded.

[/rant off]

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
It's for kids, there are

It's for kids, there are few actual "grown ups" in the world. Fix the TV and schools, have I said that before?! .....  

The movie,   "Network" - I'm Mad as Hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08&feature=related

Damn TV etc etc  ..... what to do? , somebody sign me up .....

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
TV

Matt, my advice to you is never judge a person's taste in television. I admit that I watch American Idol. I also watch Survivor and Project Runway. To each his or her own. 

Please refrain from discussing your testicles in future posts...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Holy shit you watch American

Holy shit you watch American Idol AND Survivor and you are intelligent enough to read/type and (I assume) control your own bodily functions? That surprises me as much as it would to learn that Paris Hilton has an IQ of 175 or that Madonna really was a virgin (either the actual Madonna or the singer &nbspEye-wink I personally would rather be tortured than watch any reality show. It is the worst form of entertainment ever invented by humans - and I include the gladitorial games and public torture.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
TV

Yep, and in a few months, you will be calling me Dr. Entomophila...so don't even go there about my neurons (at least the ones I have left!).  And I'll still be watching those lame shows

Oh...What Not To Wear...I LOVE that show!

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila

entomophila wrote:

Oh...What Not To Wear...I LOVE that show!

Gahh me too!!

Although I also don't really care for American Idol. The only time I've ever watched it was at cheer camp at a university in the middle of nowhere... we were bored at night. And that was the first season of AI. I do like to hunt down the "bad" auditions on youtube and watch each one a dozen times and laugh.

Hmmm other shows that I'm embarrassed to admit I watch:

House Hunters
Flip That House (i've been obsessed with houses in recent months... )
Mystery Diagnosis
Maury!!! (i like the paternity ones)
Steve Wilkos Show (kind of like a Maury/Jerry Springer hybrid)
Cheaters
birthing/rare condition/autopsy shows on discovery health

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't watch TV at all any

I don't watch TV at all any more except ER, the news and the Weather channel. And sports - I'm so rooting for the Flyers right now and hope they win the Stanley Cup! Go Danny Briere! I watch some old shows along with Mythbusters, Bullshit, MADTV and Desperate Housewives on itunes. I can't believe anyone intelligent enough to not shit in their pants can stand to watch even one second of reality tv. I would rather have a butter knife coated in salt, vinegar and hot sauce slowly shoved through my eye than watch that drivel.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I do think American Idol

I do think American Idol does a good job at exposing what the music industry's priorities are.

Imagine if a young Bob Dylan had auditioned for American Idol. He would have been in the "so bad, it's funny, and thus good for ratings" category that they have for the first few episodes.

I hate that show with a passion, and would see all the people involved in it's creation beaten by an angry mob of sadistic garden gnomes wielding nail studded cricket bats.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Does

MattShizzle wrote:

Does anyone have any idea where the appeal for this idiotic show comes from?

I think only Nielsen families must watch the damn thing.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Flip That House

OH! I forgot about that...I don't know when it is on, but if I see it while flipping through channels, I'll stop. LOVE it.

Did you see the show about "Treeman?" Since the show aired, the Indonesian government is refusing the let the doctor send back meds that cure the man's disease.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/12/wtree112.xml

Re American Idol, Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney both contacted the show because they wanted to be judges. I could make a list of the musicians that watch...but I don't have that much time. The contestants know exactly what they are getting into when they sign 99% of their rights away. Blame the contestants, not the makers of the show.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to determine what the priority of the music industry is...

Anyway, you don't have to watch it. I don't watch CSI or any of those shows because they are completely misleading the public about forensics. I don't watch sports because I hate them...but that's why I have a remote control! I can change the channel or turn off the TV.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
entomophila wrote:OH! I

entomophila wrote:

OH! I forgot about that...I don't know when it is on, but if I see it while flipping through channels, I'll stop. LOVE it.

Did you see the show about "Treeman?" Since the show aired, the Indonesian government is refusing the let the doctor send back meds that cure the man's disease.

Re American Idol, Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney both contacted the show because they wanted to be judges. I could make a list of the musicians that watch...but I don't have that much time. The contestants know exactly what they are getting into when they sign 99% of their rights away. Blame the contestants, not the makers of the show.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to determine what the priority of the music industry is...

Anyway, you don't have to watch it. I don't watch CSI or any of those shows because they are completely misleading the public about forensics. I don't watch sports because I hate them...but that's why I have a remote control! I can change the channel or turn off the TV.

If we are going to make a list of things we despise as far as entertainment that is brainless, PRO WRESTLING, has got to be at the top of my shit list. How does one get joy out of something that sold itself as "real" and perpetuates a clear scam, with plots that could only appeal to a "Pet Rock"?

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, AT THE CORPORATE GREED ARENA, WELCOME TO THE NEANDERTHAL KNUCKLE DRAGGING FIST FEST.

I would rather staple my nuts to the wall than watch pro wrestling.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually from what I've read

Actually from what I've read they don't even pretend it's real anymore. Of course you have people who say it's a sport and real but is rehearsed. OK, it does take athletic (and terrible acting) ability, but that doesn't make it a sport - otherwise stuntmen would be considered as participating in a sport. On a related rant, to Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc: Poker is NOT a fucking sport! Is playing Monopoly one? Hell, playing video games takes more "athletic" ability than playing poker. Stop calling it a sport you fucking stupid assholes!

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't watch TV at all any more except ER, the news and the Weather channel. And sports - I'm so rooting for the Flyers right now and hope they win the Stanley Cup! Go Danny Briere! I watch some old shows along with Mythbusters, Bullshit, MADTV and Desperate Housewives on itunes. I can't believe anyone intelligent enough to not shit in their pants can stand to watch even one second of reality tv. I would rather have a butter knife coated in salt, vinegar and hot sauce slowly shoved through my eye than watch that drivel.

ER, MADTV, Desperate Housewives??????????????? wow....

i don't like American Idol, but you're definitely in no position to be mocking anybody else's TV viewing choices Smiling

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
My problem with the TV is

My problem with the TV is where is the rest of it, the balance?  SUE. Help the kids etc. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
American Idol , my room

American Idol , my room renters are watching it right now! Hey, it is music and sarcastic humor. Ummm, creative talent ... ???  Nah, mostly not.  It's recreation !   

Jello
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:OH! I

entomophila wrote:

Yeah, I do use the remote control, I don't watch the program, I've never understood why people always bring that up as a response to criticism of TV shows. (or anything for that matter) It's almost the default response, along with "I'd like to see YOU do better". It's beside the point.

And as far as lots of musicians watching the program, I think most musicians are talentless hacks. So I don't care. Even if I found out Ian Mackaye from Fugazi loved American Idol, I would still hate it.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

cam
User is offlineOffline
HouseBattlestar

House

Battlestar Galactica

Southpark

and I download them all. fuck ads.

and of course I like watching the youtube.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
default response

"People" use that response because it is an appropriate one. It's not "almost a default response", it is an option. If you don't like a particular show, don't watch it.

Even if Paul McCartney watched football, I would still hate it. But I do not have a habit of insulting people because of what they watch on TV. People want to be entertained. My husband watches Futurama and Family Guy and plays video games. I'd shoot myself after 32 seconds of watching these shows and my attention span for a video game is LESS than 32 seconds. I don't *get* any of these things...but it is HIS choice how he wants to relax. This is why we have 2 TVs.  Men and women OBVIOUSLY have completely different tastes in television shows.    I'd much rather shop for shoes than watch ANYTHING on TV.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

I think your comment about "most musicians' being "talentless hacks" is a bit disingenuous. Music is a form of self-expression and a very personal thing. As with art, you may not know much about it, but you know what you like.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Television is merely a

Television is merely a reflection of the masses. What does the public want? They want vapid, mind-numbing shows with good looking people. They want shows that appeal to their loins and not their intellect. Yet I consider myself guilty. Recently, Michael Shermer gave an excellent talk on C-span and I recorded this on TIVO so that my wife and I could watch Girls Next Door on the E channel. Yes, we preferred to watch Hef's girlfriends with big tits instead of an intellectual discussion.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
i can honestly say i

i can honestly say i throughly enjoyed watching Fear Factor... up until they started eat buffalo testicles... then i realised that the show became "Do gross things for $$$" instead of "Do fuckin scary shit for $$$"

remember when the contestants were made to eat those aborted duck eggs? (lil dead baby ducks inside an egg, bones and all...)

Even i have limits to my sadism

What Would Kharn Do?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Reality shows suck so much

Reality shows suck so much it's probably bad for the TV to watch them.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wow, I had to look way back

Wow, I had to look way back to find this thread. I just heard 2 good jokes about that show yesterday:

You hear about the American Idol drinking game? When American Idol comes on you throw your beer at the tv.

You know they're going to be showing American Idol in high-def? Because you have to be high and deaf to watch it.