Boy Scouts VS Philadelphia

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boy Scouts VS Philadelphia

http://www.kyw1060.com/Boy-Scouts-vs--Philadelphia--Deadline-Approaches/2073725

Yay Nutter!  But of course there's no talk of discrimination against atheists.  ~Beth

The City of Philadelphia is about one month away from what could become a nasty showdown between the Nutter administration and local Boy Scouts. The group is being told to renounce the national Scouts policy on gays or leave its city-owned headquarters. 

Philadelphia scouts have, for decades, used an elegant city-owned building at 22nd and Winter Streets, just off the Parkway, rent free. But Mayor Nutter, like Mayor Street before him, says the national Boy Scouts' policy on the admission of gays is discriminatory.

So city solicitor Shelley Smith (in file photo at right) says that, come June 1st, the local Scouts council must renounce the national policy, start paying rent, or leave:

"We're not looking for the fight about it. But we will do what we have to do to defend the city's policies on this issue."

The local scouts organization, the Cradle of Liberty Council, is hoping to find a compromise, according to spokesman Jeff Jubelier:

"We don't have intentions of leaving the building. We understand the city's position. We are working internally to try to come up with an alternative."

So the June 1st deadline is fast approaching, and national attention on the showdown could intensify.  Solicitor Smith understands that it could get ugly if the scouts are evicted:

"As ugly as it may seem to some that we are taking action against an organization that people view as nobly as they view the Boy Scouts, we think that their policy is equally ugly."

Jubelier says the Cradle of Liberty Council has never discriminated, but that it cannot renounce the national organization's policies without sacrificing the local group's future.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I wish more areas would do

I wish more areas would do this. This has actually been a big story for about a year (most network tv here is from Philly) - I think Street wantyed to do this and city council initially brought it up

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
boy scouts also wont allow

boy scouts also wont allow athiest to join...according to the show bullshit

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That was a good episode of

That was a good episode of Bullshit - I still have it on itunes (can't get showtime here unless you have digital cable which is over $100 a month, and my last name isn't Trump or Gates.) One thing I learned from there and from the FFRF is that the Boy Scouts weren't like this until the '70s or '80s when the Mormon church ended up owning a majority share. Another thing is don't blame the Girl Scouts - they are a totally separate organization and don't discriminate. For any parents of boys who want them to do the sort of things they do, but without the discrimination and religious bullshit, I'd recommend Camp_quest.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy crap! There's some good

Holy crap! There's some good news. I hate the Scouts - para-military quazi-religious misogynistic brainwashing organization with special protections from the federal government offered to no other and in direct violation of the establishment clause for starters. Ick.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray