Close friends who are christians of the young earther variety

Jello
Posts: 223
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
Close friends who are christians of the young earther variety

Does anyone here have any close friends who are young earth creationists? Do you ever broach the subject with them or do you avoid the topic of faith and all that altogether?

And/or do you know anyone who is a christian/muslim/whatever who isn't a creationist? I've heard a few people say that they're a minority among christians, but I've hotta say, I've never met a christian who wasn't a creationist.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I don't, but I wouldn't even

I don't, but I wouldn't even bother bringing it up - if all the science out there fails to convince them, you won't either. They often graduated from The_asshat_academy and learn al kinds of arguments to use and all kinds of ignorant things that misrepresent evolution including the stupid its_only_a_theory thing.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
a bit of both

Yeah I have christian friends that are YEC, and others that are just believe that god created everything, but no in it's present form, they believe in evolution as well, but that god started it all. I know a few muslims as well that follow this path, although others believe god created us exactly as we are (I try not to push these guys because from what I know they are hardcore believers and I ain't getting into a death fight because of it, it ain't worth it with them)

 

Now for the YEC it's all a big old conspiracy that scientists won't admit to Young Earth Theory (even after you point out why and all the holes in the YEC theories) because you know the devil put all the fossiles, carbon dating is incorrect etc, etc, etc, etc (although again they ignore all the other methods we use to date the earth, not just carbon dating). For me, only when I need a laugh do I engage with these people, otherwise, I avoid them.


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:And/or do you

Jello wrote:

And/or do you know anyone who is a christian/muslim/whatever who isn't a creationist? I've heard a few people say that they're a minority among christians, but I've hotta say, I've never met a christian who wasn't a creationist.

Really?  I was a christian who was a firm believer in evolution my entire life until I finally couldn't believe in religion any longer.  My brother is still a christian, but he believes in evolution as well.  Same with my new boss at work.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
..

Why does some christians believe, that Earth is about 6000 years old? I know, it's the age of all Biblical patriarchs in total, but who told them to sum it up? Is there such an instruction anywhere, or is that number written in Bible?
In fact, if all proof for an old Earth are created by a devil, and when you compare everything we know about whole Earth history and then what happened since 6000 years ago, then the devil did about 750 000 x more work than God

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
Posts: 1484
Joined: 2007-03-18
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Does anyone here

Jello wrote:

Does anyone here have any close friends who are young earth creationists? Do you ever broach the subject with them or do you avoid the topic of faith and all that altogether?

And/or do you know anyone who is a christian/muslim/whatever who isn't a creationist? I've heard a few people say that they're a minority among christians, but I've hotta say, I've never met a christian who wasn't a creationist.

To the first question. No. I don't know any Young Earth Creationists. In fact I don't think I've ever met a creationist. I've met IDers, that's more common.

To the second question. Yes. Most Christians I know accept evolution, whenever a debate is started any Christian I've ever met always starts of by saying: "Well I accept evolution but...". Actually except my best mate's Catholic ex-girlfriend, she was pretty hard to argue with, she didn't accept evolution and was one of those people who tries to win an argument by not letting you speak.

I say this a lot, but things are just different here than in the US.

 


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
I've always heard of these

I've always heard of these christians that accept evolution,but never seen one. All the ones I know are YEC's. I've gotten into a (drunken) debate with one of them, but after realising I'd have better luck debating a wall I've left it. I think they are the hardest people to debate with. They need to be willfully ignorant of alot, and aren't going to be receptive of new ideas.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I've always heard

Loc wrote:

I've always heard of these christians that accept evolution,but never seen one.

I went to a catholic private school.  When we were being taught evolution they did mention creationism as well but it was along the lines of "This is the basics behind creationism, it's what mankind used to think until we discovered evolution ... kind of like we used to think the earth was flat etc".

Due to this I've always been left speechless and in utter shock when I see anyone even dignifying creationism with a response, let alone the debates in the US about actually teaching it as a valid theory.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:I went to a

thingy wrote:

I went to a catholic private school.  When we were being taught evolution they did mention creationism as well but it was along the lines of "This is the basics behind creationism, it's what mankind used to think until we discovered evolution ... kind of like we used to think the earth was flat etc".

 

That blows my mind.You cannot imagine the creationist education I had. It was along the lines of "this is evolution. It is a completley false, unscientific theory with no evidence.People who believe it have no morals and would happily kill you since we are all just animals anyway.'

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:That blows my

Loc wrote:

That blows my mind.You cannot imagine the creationist education I had. It was along the lines of "this is evolution. It is a completley false, unscientific theory with no evidence.People who believe it have no morals and would happily kill you since we are all just animals anyway.'

*Pulls out bowie knife and holds it behind his back*  Hey Loc!  *waves*

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Loc wrote:That

Watcher wrote:

Loc wrote:

That blows my mind.You cannot imagine the creationist education I had. It was along the lines of "this is evolution. It is a completley false, unscientific theory with no evidence.People who believe it have no morals and would happily kill you since we are all just animals anyway.'

*Pulls out bowie knife and holds it behind his back*  Hey Loc!  *waves*

*Seeks shelter in nearest church*You can't enter in here evolutionist! It will burn your secular mind!

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


Jello
Posts: 223
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if any surveys have

I wonder if any surveys have been done, showing the percentage of christians who accept evolution and those that don't, for different countries. I'm willing to place a bet that New Zealand would have statistics similar to the u.s. It also seems that Catholics are way less likely to be creationists then other subsets of christianity. I wonder why. I also wonder when mostaches will come back into fashion.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Catholics

I would say because the pope said that evolution is ok, that it is all part of the design of god.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:I wonder if any

Jello wrote:

I wonder if any surveys have been done, showing the percentage of christians who accept evolution and those that don't, for different countries. I'm willing to place a bet that New Zealand would have statistics similar to the u.s. It also seems that Catholics are way less likely to be creationists then other subsets of christianity. I wonder why. I also wonder when mostaches will come back into fashion.

 

well, from what i remember, john paul ii publicly endorsed evolution.  i don't know if it amounted to a papal bull or official church doctrine but i recall reading sometime in college that the pope said of evolution, "it is as it was," or something to that effect.

 

of course, all the fundies on my campus immediately pointed to that as further proof that the pope is the antichrist and the catholic church is evil.  i thought it was just another attempt by the catholic church to shed the whole "we persecuted scientists for a millennium" image, as if people would forget.

 

i actually knew some protestants growing up in kentucky who believed in evolution, but not many.  usually they were presbyterians or episcopalians.  i knew one guy whose answer to all the scientific evidence for an old earth and evolution was, "well, if god created a mature adam, why couldn't he have created a mature earth?"  i had to give him one thing, there wasn't much of a way to argue with that beyond "what the fuck!?"

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I would

latincanuck wrote:

I would say because the pope said that evolution is ok, that it is all part of the design of god.

 

beat me to the punch, ya bastard!  i gotta stop typing such long shit.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson