Is Scott Atran Full of Shit?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is Scott Atran Full of Shit?

There are four segments of this video that can be accessed at baneoffafnir 's youtube page.

For those of you who don't know who Scott Atran is, he is an American Anthropologist that studies "the ways scientists and ordinary people categorize and reason about nature, on the cognitive and evolutionary psychology of religion, and on the limits of rational choice in political and cultural conflict. His work has been widely published internationally in the popular press, and in scientific journals in a variety of disciplines. He has briefed members of the U.S. Congress and the National Security Council staff at the White House on the Comparative Anatomy and Evolution of Global Network Terrorism and on the The Devoted Actor versus the Rational Actor in Managing World Conflict, and he has been involved in conflict negotiations in the Middle East."(wiki)

scott atran website

He has attended both Beyond Belief Seminars and clashes with Sam Harris over the idea that religion is a primary motivator for violent extremism and terrorism from extremists that are Muslim. He sees religion as a primarily benign force that can be used to do bad things, but that it is not necessarily one of the major underlying reasons for Islamic extremism/terrorism. He has done a number of studies in the Arab world talking to Muslims and the families of suicide bombers and portrays the causality for their actions as basically soccer friends in small tigh-knit neighborhoods with a commonality that get together on soccer fields and coffee shops and form bonds together. They see images on AL-Jazeera of Arabs getting killed on tv by Americans and want to strike back. He feels that the Islamic religion is not really part of this, but rather that many of the suicide bombers are not religious at all and know nothing about the Koran. He feels that most of these suicide bombing terrorists are not recruited by anyone, but rather it is a spontaneous act by people disgruntled by the lack of morality and justice they see when their fellow Arabs are killed.

Here is Atran's speech at Beyond Belief 2.0 that iterates what I have stated above.

For Sam Harris' final refutation of Scott Atran from Beyond Belief 2.0, check this out. They both allude to having a possible debate(maybe with Ayaan Hirsi Ali) about the role of religion and terrorism in the Islamic world.

So I guess what I am asking is, Do you think Scott Atran is full of shit or does he have some valid points? Has anyone read his books? Is anyone familiar with his work that can validate his ideas, because they seem quite radical and contrary to most of what the common consensus on the subject says.

Here are his books if you have not heard of them

In Gods We Trust

The Native Mind and the Cultural Construction of Nature

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Never heard of Atran, but I

Never heard of Atran, but I am reading Robert Pape, who makes similar arguments. 

I'll watch the vids tonight.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kind of a lot of info

Yeah its kind of a lot of info, but what if there is some serious merit to what Scott Atran is saying with regard to the motivation for extremists/terrorists in countries that are predominantly Muslim? This would completely change the worldview that I think most Atheists and Christians have(without direct experience of Muslim countries themselves).

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
While Atran's credentials

While Atran's credentials are laudable, I'm not seeing any of the evidence he's presenting (& there's certainly quantity if not quality) as particularly compelling.  His smugness doesn't erase the historical evidence that runs completely contrary to his conclusions. Hostility toward women's equality and violence toward them are not derived from soccer matches gone wrong.  The imprisonment and murder of gay people are not a result of cultural differences.  They are religious based.  It would take a while to go through all of the videos, but I don't see too many Muslims killing each other over soccer matches.

I do frequently see these types of news bites:

- Bomber:  I am doing what I'm doing for the sake of Islam.

- christians attacked by Muslim rioters in nigeria.

- Praise for "Holy Wars" paper found at home of airline plotter.

- 75 young people arrested for immoral behavior (Iran)

- Iran vows to lash women who attend political rallies.

- Yemen votes to continue female castration.

- Man has hands and foot chopped off over adultrey.

- Ahmadinejad:  "We have no gay people in Iran"....(Yeah, because you've killed any that you could actually find).   

So, in conclusion:  Is Scott Atran full of shit ?

..................Yes.................

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle

Yes, was my default position. I would like to read some of his stuff and look at its merits and the methodology, but so far everything he is saying just seems the opposite of reality. Its like he has become an Atheist apologetic for the Islamic world because he genuinely likes the people. I am not saying you can't like people you study, but when that liking could be construed as losing your objectivity, then you are no longer following the scientific method. It would be interesting, if once I read his stuff I was convinced of his ideas, but the evidence would have to be compelling, and have unparalleled methodological constraints being utilized to counter all of conventional wisdom and evidence.

I was just wondering if anyone here agreed with him? I doubt it, but that would be interesting to hear their perspective on such matters.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:-

Before they ask me how my son could do something like that, they should ask what the conditions were that led him do it. Why do people kill themselves? Are they fond of death? Is it a fashion? Since 1948, the Jews have taken more and more of our land. My son wasn't a radical person, he was radicalized by anger, by humiliation. Look before your eyes. We are living in a jail. I wouldbe a liar to say I feel sorry for the people who are oppressing us day by day.

Quote by father of suicide bomber, as quoted in Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic Of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape page 233.

So yeah, I see his point that terrorism is in response to occupation and oppression.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
But, occupation and

But, occupation and oppression by what?  Another group with the overall defining identity of a particular religion.  They certainly don't think that it's a bunch of bakers or mechanics or Arnold Schwarzeneggar fans taking their land, it's 'those jews'

And why do the jews claim the land... because god gave it to them

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:But,

phooney wrote:

But, occupation and oppression by what?  Another group with the overall defining identity of a particular religion.  They certainly don't think that it's a bunch of bakers or mechanics or Arnold Schwarzeneggar fans taking their land, it's 'those jews'

How's about the Israeli defense force?

A 'Jew' is a common term for the people of Israel. They're probably refering to the soldiers in the IDF.

Quote:

And why do the jews claim the land... because god gave it to them

IIRC  Palestine was a British colony, (Lebanon was French colony BTW.) and then they cut down Palestine and proclaimed a good portion of it Israel.

Then Israel invaded Lebanon, since they thought it was theirs in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that's the conflict, but I don't the exact history, I'm pretty sure it's something like that. Someone took over, the French adopted Lebanon as a colony, British didn't give Israel back all it's land etc...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
How does one get from a

How does one get from a soccer match to a Fatwa against a cartoonist?  I'm not seeing the connection.

Do soccer players have a higher than normal rate of being suicide bombers in secular countries?  They love soccer in the Netherlands, and I can't remember the last time I saw a Dutchman lopping off the head of an infidel.

Are soccer moms in trouble in America? 

I'm casting my vote for "Full of Shit."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So yeah, I see his

Quote:
So yeah, I see his point that terrorism is in response to occupation and oppression.

I feel a little dirty for some reason, but there is a point to be made that terrorism is much more prevalent among poor, occupied, oppressed peoples.  I want to be careful to avoid a false dichotomy here.  I'm not saying that either side is completely right or wrong on this.  I disagree with a good bit of Sam's alarmist writings.  I don't think religion is potentially the end of the world as we know it.  Clearly, there is more to war than religious motivations, in any case, and either side could produce anecdotal evidence all day long that such and such was motivated by politics or religion.

Realize that I view politics and religion as very much the same thing in religious states.  To say that a war involving an Islamic country is either political or religious misses the point completely.

The reason religion is so prevalent is that people feel it is relevant to their lives.  In a country that is religiously dominated, the soldiers cannot help but feel the impact of the religion, but they're shooting guns at real people who are shooting real bullets back.  Does belief in Allah make it easier to be a suicide bomber?  I don't know.  The Japanese found lots of Kamikaze pilots without Allah.

I guess the bottom line for me is that it's completely dishonest to say that religion doesn't play a part in many wars.  Of course it does.  It is one of many justifications that people use to go to war.  How much?  I don't honestly know.  I'm sure it varies from culture to culture and war to war.

For Sam to say that religion is THE cause of most war is dishonest, and for Atran to write it off as an insignificant cultural bauble is dishonest.  It's somewhere in between.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I guess

Hambydammit wrote:

I guess the bottom line for me is that it's completely dishonest to say that religion doesn't play a part in many wars.  Of course it does.  It is one of many justifications that people use to go to war.  How much?  I don't honestly know.  I'm sure it varies from culture to culture and war to war.

For Sam to say that religion is THE cause of most war is dishonest, and for Atran to write it off as an insignificant cultural bauble is dishonest.  It's somewhere in between.

I think Sam and Hitchens tend to overdramatize the threat of Islamic Fundamentalist extremism, but it is a very palpable concern. I would say religion is not the sole cause for most wars, but often goes hand in hand in the in-group vs. out-group mentality in play there. There are some wars that have been caused by religion.

As far as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there are a ton of disparate issues at hand, but to take religion out of the equation as Atran does, is wholeheartedly deluding oneself to the realities on the ground. True, I think anyone who feels they have had their land taken from them and are being occupied unrighteously by a set of people with an opposite worldview would be drawn to violence. To say that the only reason these people have been fighting is because God was indian-giving realtor in his holy lands provides an underlying reason, but does not address the entirety of the issues.

Scott Atran is so smug, I have been watching some of his responses to others in Beyond Belief and his ideas and rationalizations seem to show quite a bit of compartmentalization at work. The things he says about Al Qaeda are quite fascinating if they are true.

The answer probably does lie somewhere in between, but I think having discourse on competing opinions and vetting them out is the best way to get closer to the truth.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:So

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I feel a little dirty for some reason, but there is a point to be made that terrorism is much more prevalent among poor, occupied, oppressed peoples.  I want to be careful to avoid a false dichotomy here.  I'm not saying that either side is completely right or wrong on this.  I disagree with a good bit of Sam's alarmist writings.  I don't think religion is potentially the end of the world as we know it.  Clearly, there is more to war than religious motivations, in any case, and either side could produce anecdotal evidence all day long that such and such was motivated by politics or religion.

Realize that I view politics and religion as very much the same thing in religious states.  To say that a war involving an Islamic country is either political or religious misses the point completely.

The reason religion is so prevalent is that people feel it is relevant to their lives.  In a country that is religiously dominated, the soldiers cannot help but feel the impact of the religion, but they're shooting guns at real people who are shooting real bullets back.  Does belief in Allah make it easier to be a suicide bomber?  I don't know.  The Japanese found lots of Kamikaze pilots without Allah.

Well, religion played an absolutely core role as engines for WWI and WWII. The Japanese found plenty of Kamikaze pilot without belief in Allah, but they were simply using another form of religion (adhering to various 'codes of honor', at least where it was convenient to do so). Nazi and Fascism were essentially their own self-contained religions, and Stalin... well, Stalin basically projected himself as a deity.

Small scale wars might be fought over resources, but personally, I think the largest ones really need religion to feed them onward.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: they

Kevin R Brown wrote:

they were simply using another form of religion (adhering to various 'codes of honor', at least where it was convenient to do so). Nazi and Fascism were essentially their own self-contained religions, and Stalin... well, Stalin basically projected himself as a deity.

You have no idea how much this argument pisses me off.

If everyone were atheist, Communism will still be with us. It is NOT a religion, it's a fucking political ideology.

It pisses me off when people apply to people like Stalin or Hoxha, because it comes off as 'Well, see, they weren't actually atheists, they had religions of their own.' or 'Well, they projected themselves as Gods.' and even 'See, it's still religion's fault!!!'

Calling something a fucking 'religion' does not make it so.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Kevin R

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

they were simply using another form of religion (adhering to various 'codes of honor', at least where it was convenient to do so). Nazi and Fascism were essentially their own self-contained religions, and Stalin... well, Stalin basically projected himself as a deity.

You have no idea how much this argument pisses me off.

If everyone were atheist, Communism will still be with us. It is NOT a religion, it's a fucking political ideology.

It pisses me off when people apply to people like Stalin or Hoxha, because it comes off as 'Well, see, they weren't actually atheists, they had religions of their own.' or 'Well, they projected themselves as Gods.' and even 'See, it's still religion's fault!!!'

Stalin was not practicing Marxist communism. His regime was entirely totalitarian. 'Communism' was crudely thrown over it as a mask.

I, personally, still have huge problems with Marxist communism, but yes - I respect it is merely a political position.

And Stalin clearly did see himself as above and beyond normal men. For fuck's sake, there's a good hunk of evidence that the man thought he could literally rewrite history. Stalinist Russia had 'dogma' written all over it, even if said dogma came without a creation story attached. People worshipped their leader as an idol, and held his views as the 'be-all, end-all' correct way of seeing the world.

Curiously, Russia actually did it's best in WWII when Stalin took himself off of his pedestal for a moment to let his generals run the show (a superior tactic to Hitler's idea that all final orders must come from beneath his own moustache). This suggests that at least Stalin knew he wasn't omnipotent (nothing like a rampaging Blitzkrieg to motivate rational thinking) at some points in his life, but one need only look at the correspondence exchanges he had with Adolf to see how what he though of himself deep down when the waters weren't so rough.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a good point that

There is a good point that these people have a lot to be angry about. The US government was not particularly nice in the ways it went about fighting communism and screwed over quite a few countries. The middle east also had several crusades thrown at it. Plus anyone growing up in a war zone who has seen family and friends die is going to be more than a little screwed up and upset.

However I think it is primarily religion that is driving it forward and not letting wounds heal. All of Europe was at each others throat for thousands of years and they are getting along much better now. The US also fought a war against the British empire, but they are both buddies now.

It is religion that feeds the Palestinian belief that Israel should be wiped from the face of the earth (I'm not saying that Israel are the good guys, there are no good guys in that conflict). I have seen videos of kindergarteners with guns shouting they they want to die for allah at a school assembly (I think the link was on Gisburne).

There are also christian terrorists in some of the muslim countries.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you really think,

What do you really think, that is a cause of the muslim problem? Is it their crazy religion, which tells them to blow up themselves and stuff around? Are they just dumb and retarded? Damn weird people, in weird desert place, who wants our stuff?
I hope this is NOT what most of Americans really think.

People are focused on effects, but the original cause is injustice.
Islamic countries once were beacons of science, culture and art in world of barbarianism, all the european scholarschip came from Arabians (who got it from India). Islamic countries are able to exist relatively peacefully. Islam, just like other religions, can be used for good or bad purposes. Imagine, that you're happy in your life (if you aren't). Would you abandon all this to go and become martyr? Hardly. The reason why some muslims are so easy to become suicide bombers or terrorists is, that there is a great injustice commited on them.
Let's see a simple statistics.
Top 2% of world population owns 51% of the world.
Lower 50% of world population owns less than 2% of the world.
This is the injustice and all the economic system, all the movement of global market does it even worse every moment. There must be victims, in fact, a half of humankind is the victim. Arabians are one of them, but there are more, all this is designed to put more of wealth into hands of less people. Don't look at problems with muslims, look for those, who did it to them.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:It

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It's hardly the "fault" of religion, but the human tendency toward religious thought is what these guys were tapping, there's no doubt about it. Just look at the policy of Stalin, Hitler, Kim Jong Il or Saddam Hussein of plastering godlike pictures of themselves on every available wall. Each with different professed political ideologies, all with the same mechanisms of authority. Whether you want to call it "state religion" or not doesn't change the fact that the behaviours are exactly the same.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Tell that to the Scientologists. They're getting a tax break just like every other religious organization. And they've never stopped being an unlicensed mental health clinic.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:It's

HisWillness wrote:

It's hardly the "fault" of religion, but the human tendency toward religious thought is what these guys were tapping, there's no doubt about it. Just look at the policy of Stalin, Hitler, Kim Jong Il or Saddam Hussein of plastering godlike pictures of themselves on every available wall. Each with different professed political ideologies, all with the same mechanisms of authority. Whether you want to call it "state religion" or not doesn't change the fact that the behaviours are exactly the same.

The human tendency towards social conformity is what they were tapping. We evolved as social beings. If everyone stuck together, they could share food, shelter etc.. and have a better chance of survival.

Anyway, religion is a form of social conformity, not the only form.

Their both ideologies, but different forms of ideologies, tapping into the same thing.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
The human tendency towards social conformity is what they were tapping.

If that were all it was, then there wouldn't be the extra aspect of veneration of a single individual. It's definitely social conformity, but that doesn't explain the veneration and focusing all "justification of effort" on the leader.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Anyway, religion is a form of social conformity, not the only form.

Of course, but religious and political conformity in those cases look an awful lot alike. In fact, it's very difficult to tell them apart.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Calling something a

Quote:

Right, first there would seem to be a requirement to demonstrate a certain amount of allegiance to the current government enitity/entities (unless theocracy is the rule of the day, in which case the two would be one in the same).  Of course this is only for religion that has interest in government approval. If not, your religion is free to be marginalized into insignificance or whither away and die over time due to lack of adherents.

The specific beliefs themselves don't seem to be an issue in and of themselves, whether you dance around golden tablets, golden calves or an alien warlord are pretty much inconsequential.

All you actually need (beside the aforementioned government approval) is a comprehensive belief system that provides a framework for total devotion and a certain measure of hostility toward any critique.

I'm sorry, were we talking about Religion or Communism ? 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
The human tendency towards social conformity is what they were tapping.

If that were all it was, then there wouldn't be the extra aspect of veneration of a single individual. It's definitely social conformity, but that doesn't explain the veneration and focusing all "justification of effort" on the leader.

The 'justification of effort', it could be nationalism, or kinship. A better life for your nation or kin (Remember, it's not just you, it's your genes and offspring.) All the leaders offered that (hence the veneration..), so it was a game of follow the leader for a better future for you, and your family.

To wit:

Do you know of parents who want the best possible life for their child and will make personal sacrifices to achieve it?

What about people who want the best for the people in their nation or even the world and will make personal sacrifices to achieve it?

Now this leader comes along and offers this. The best nation, the best people. All you have to do is follow him.

AmericanIdle wrote:

I'm sorry, were we talking about Religion or Communism ?

I'm not the one who brought it up.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's hardly the

Quote:
It's hardly the "fault" of religion, but the human tendency toward religious thought is what these guys were tapping, there's no doubt about it. Just look at the policy of Stalin, Hitler, Kim Jong Il or Saddam Hussein of plastering godlike pictures of themselves on every available wall.

I'm curious.  Has there ever been a president who came out with bumper stickers after he got elected?  Maybe I've got this wrong, but all those "W" bumper stickers seemed to get really popular after the appointment... er... election.

Truthfully, I don't understand why anyone would get their panties in a bunch because someone calls dogmatic admiration of political ideology and government leader(s) religious, or at the very least, analogous to religion.  Hell, lots of writers, some famous, have called it religious zeal.

Having read a bit of dogmatic political ideology (I'd rather read the bible, believe it or not... at least it's blatantly make believe) I can find no significant difference, other than the absence of an undefined god.  Both appeal to emotion.  Both appeal to ignorance.  Both insist on blind faith.  Both punish dissent or doubt.

I want to make something perfectly clear, by the way.  I believe that religion is the easiest way to sell war to poor people.  You need the poor people to shoot your guns for you, so you have to convince them to join the army if you're not going to force them into it.*  Theism is better than State-ism because God loves you and wants you to kill the brown people in the sand whether the economy is going great or not.  Setting up state worship is more tricky because really bad economies tend to make people upset at the ideologue who made it that way.**

So, bottom line:  I agree that irrational political ideologies would exist if theism did not exist.  Both irrational political ideologies and theism are irrational belief systems based on faith.  In this respect, they both have religious qualities.  I don't give a rat's ass if you want to invent another word that means "having religious qualities" if your panties bunch up at calling state worship a religion.

* I don't think it's coincidental that atheists are having to sue the army.  Do you think the Rethuglicans are unaware of the power of an army where everyone is the same religion?

** To put a finer point on it, theism tends to do better the worse things get.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The 'justification of effort', it could be nationalism, or kinship. A better life for your nation or kin (Remember, it's not just you, it's your genes and offspring.) All the leaders offered that (hence the veneration..), so it was a game of follow the leader for a better future for you, and your family.

... in heaven.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Do you know of parents who want the best possible life for their child and will make personal sacrifices to achieve it?

... on earth as it is in heaven?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Now this leader comes along and offers this. The best nation, the best people. All you have to do is follow him.

... and you get to go to heaven.

The mechanisms are so similar that they're almost indistinguishable. People willing to submit and follow are drawn to religious and totalitarian "safety" in equal numbers. It's very appealing to believe in safety. Religious movements thrive on the belief that a safe afterlife can be promised, just as totalitarianism thrives on the promise of safety on the earthly plane. Both are illusory, but highly appealing.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Here and now, or eternity?

Godless regimes of the state do not employ eternity and mainly focus on this life as the only one you get. So falling prey to the cult of personality or being mesmerized by rampant politically dogmatic propaganda on safety and the leader's greatness can be as controlling and appealing as a religion. I do think the view of an afterlife, with this life being a mere transitional hell we must pass through as a test for our immortal soul's resting place, can be more of a motivator for violence of the self inflicted variety(suicide bombings). Obviously there are exceptions, Kamikazes etc., but the current status of predominantly religious zealots motivated to become martyrs by performing violent acts against others as a means of fulfilling a 73-way orgy in the next world, if truly and zealously believed as fact, is almost an unparalleled motivating force when compared to secular nationalist propaganda.

I think the afterlife belief, if properly exploited for religious purposes, is more potent than any propaganda tools.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I do think the view of

Quote:
I do think the view of an afterlife, with this life being a mere transitional hell we must pass through as a test for our immortal soul's resting place, can be more of a motivator for violence of the self inflicted variety(suicide bombings).

I'm torn about this, primarily because there's just not much real information out there.  Suicide attacks go way back, and they're not nearly as strongly correlated to religion as they are to extreme conditions.  If you really want to kill someone, and the only way to do it is to kill yourself, you're going to do it.

If you were to hand deliver a bunch of long range missiles to a bunch of Islamic terrorists, I feel pretty certain they'd use them up before they went on another plane flight.

Quote:
Obviously there are exceptions, Kamikazes etc., but the current status of predominantly religious zealots motivated to become martyrs by performing violent acts against others as a means of fulfilling a 73-way orgy in the next world, if truly and zealously believed as fact, is almost an unparalleled motivating force when compared to secular nationalist propaganda.

The real question, I think, is whether or not the wars themselves are being fueled to a significant degree by religion.  Next time you get a chance to do interviews on an Army base, ask a few questions about God and Country and Christian virtue.  You'll see that many of our fightin' boys are highly religious, and those views play a part in their service.  Note also that we have very few suicide missions.  This is primarily because we have big boomies and don't need to do suicide missions.

Quote:
I think the afterlife belief, if properly exploited for religious purposes, is more potent than any propaganda tools.

I don't know if it's the most effective tool.  I don't like saying things without some backing, and I just don't know of any way to demonstrate the truth of this.  I think it's obvious that martyrdom is a good motivator, though.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it's important to

I think it's important to note, the the terrorists DON"T come from poor back rounds.   (Less than 20% of Arab suicide attackers have low income..) They are NOT uneducated. (Less than 10% don't have Secondary education.) 

So you can throw out the 'poor' bit out the window.

The terrorist employ people of all religions as long as they're willing. During the 1982-1986 bombing campaign in Lebanon, there were 41 attackers (38 were studied.), Only 8 were associated with an Islamic Fundamentalist group, the rest (30.) were from Communist/Socialist groups, with no specific religious commitment. 4 were female,  and 3 were Christian. There was no single religious nor secular mind set associated with all of them.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hamby

I was not equating my belief on what I think is the strongest motivator with what is actually occurring. This was not meant to be a statement of fact, and was not written as such. I also try to back up my conjectures with facts, but I just don't think there is enough evidence on the subject, analyzed and deconstructed, to draw a single conclusion about the most potent motivator(if there even is one motivator that can be said to be more influential than another). If there is, and I am not aware of it, I would surely take that into account and reconstruct my beliefs accordingly. This definitely could be a phenomenon of several competing social pressures acting on individuals and groups creating the responses we see, and I do expect that to be true. My point is only that I think that there may be a causal link(which can be correlated) implying belief in an afterlife may cause a person to more readily discard this human life in hopes of getting a redo in the next, or eternal bliss. That is my only conjecture.

As for your big bombs versus body bombs hypothesis, of course there is economically influenced battlefield strategy in this argument as well. I am not denying that.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I think it's important

Quote:

I think it's important to note, the the terrorists DON"T come from poor back rounds.   (Less than 20% of Arab suicide attackers have low income..) They are NOT uneducated. (Less than 10% don't have Secondary education.) 

So you can throw out the 'poor' bit out the window.

Pardon my off-the-cuffness.  By poor, I was speaking more of the military capability.  I was totally unclear.  My bad.  Countries with smart bombs seldom use suicide bombers.  That's what I meant.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:My point is only that

Quote:
My point is only that I think that there may be a causal link(which can be correlated) implying belief in an afterlife may cause a person to more readily discard this human life in hopes of getting a redo in the next, or eternal bliss.

I tend to take words literally.  It's why I tend to write so many.  I like to be clear.

If people really do believe in an afterlife, we would expect to see a correlation between religions that teach it and actions such as suicide bombings.

I'm not 100% convinced that most people really believe in an afterlife, so I'm conflicted.  The Japanese are not a small exception to the stereotype of religious nuts being suicide bombers.  My brain is not firing on all cylinders, but I seem to recall a pretty direct correlation between military need and resorting to suicide tactics, regardless of prevalent religion.  It's built into human nature to sometimes sacrifice for the group.  I think religion probably enhances this effect, but to what degree, I'm hesitant to say.

I'm convinced that religion is a very effective tool to sell war in the first place.  Once you're in the army, it's pretty easy to get you to do whatever is needed.

Books about atheism

Throatmeal (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Theism and Social Degradation

I think there are a couple of things that need to be pointed out that seem disproportionately important with regard to this debate.

Theism, with its inherently orthodoxical, anti-objective, eternal and static nature, trumps all other forms of dogmatic control in that it ultimately provides any megalomanical dogmatist with enough unmolested leeway to grow his subjectivity in front of a charmed, disinformed and obedient audience. That's bad enough, however it gets worse. When this projected subjectivity is co-opted and is backed by necessary mechanisms like interpretation of relevant holy scripture whose textual ambiguity is, in sizable part a manifestation of wildly variable moral edicts (regarding violence in particular) you end up with, in effect, a control loop, which provides our megalomanical dogmatist unfettered and manipulative access to the tools of fallacious logic. These tools become dangerous and effective weapons when unchecked by the inherent objectivity of logical discourse. I think this is, by the way, about as close to any intelligent design as any theistic enterprise can get. 

The design of political dictatorships and personality cults can certainly be, and often are, orthodoxical, anti-objective, and static just like theistic dictatorships. It seems pretty clear that these mechanisms are indespensable and commonplace tools in the business of control.  The difference, and it can't be overstated, is that theism operates under the aegis of perpetuity. It's built into it's very design, and qualified by the word of god. A particular political ideology would have to swim pretty close to religious ideology in order to attain this level of authoritarian control, and even still I think it's probably severely limited by it's disconnect with the characteristically theistic threat of eternal control/damnation. It's interesting to note that theism, if nothing else has provided a working model for history's extra-religious megalomanics to study and apply, which in and of itself is a very insidious and despicable position to play.

It seems that the common theme here is an exploitation of tribalism. Tribalism is arguably a primative trait. A tribe represents a social cell, bound together by comparatively basic memes, urges and emotions, coupled with a limited capacity for reason and it's application. Early in human social history this brand of raw tribalism was arguably more widespread. Over time, primative tribalism eroded and morphed, both qualitatively and quantitatively, due to the evolutionary influence of collective reason on the generational shaping of reality. Still over time it was supplanted by a "new tribalism". Early on, tribes were fragmented and shaped by hunting expeditions, trade, economic concerns, weather, conquest, etc.., enabled by the development of human language. The new tribalism was born of functional adaptation resulting from the pressures of social evolution. It could be seen a sort of dichotomy. In the practical sense, it emerged in the form of the master/slave relationship morphing into various things such as villages, cities, countries, aristocracies, hamlets etc.. In the metaphysical sense, various techniques and superstitions were adopted to explain away the unanswerable . Techniques such as folklore, idolatries, worship schemes and religion itself were employed based on the orders of the day. As time raced on, and as intellect evolved, logical thought was increasingly infused into both the practical and metaphysical aspects of tribalism. This effectively diminished the prevalence of ignorance of reality. Eventually, the pragmatic and metaphysical aspects of tribalism regrouped in the form of religious orthodoxy and various political orthodoxies as control systems. Religious orthodoxy has proven to be the most insidious and tenacious control system, due to it's preemptive rejection of logic. Several points can be extracted from this.  Tribalism is a fledgling social unit, and as such does not have the benefit of experince as a guide. Tribalism adapts in response to evolutionary pressures over time. Logic, the only objective tool we have access to, refines and shrinks tribalism even further. Religion represents the last bastion of anachronistic tribal ignorance precisely because of it's inherent rejection of reason and open inquiry.  Science and religion are pitted in the competition for social validity precisely because of the increasing success of logic, which allows science, and any method of open inquiry to answer the same questions about reality that religion already answered to suit it's own ends.

One of the big problems with Scott Atran's veiled apologia of Islamic orthodoxy is that Atran is asking us to accept Atran's ultimately subjective interpretation of anecdotal evidence collected, parsed, collated and regurgitated by Atran. By his own admission he was the only person to conduct such an exhaustive study of suicide/martyr killings over time. I can't help but feel artificially constrained by his reams of incestuous evidence. Sam Harris, on the other hand, readily cites various professional sources for his evidence, effectively modulating the subjective tendencies of his sources as individuals, which ultimately gives him a higher probability of reasoning from objective grounds. I also think Atran has overexuberant and unwarranted anthropological neutrality when it comes to discussions about cross-cultural murder.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that was quite a thesis

Wow, that was quite a thesis throatmeal! Yes, I think Atran's work has been to subjectively influenced by his love of arabic culture, language, etc. Its like he has created a modern version of a "noble savage" and those that don't fit in his box are tossed aside as mere idiots. Truth be told though, I am not aware of a lot of people doing this kind of work(in mainstream media) and so I think he is getting a huge piece of the pie in respect terms due to the decreased visability of contrary opinions, although I am pretty sure that Atran's position is in the minority.

Throatmeal (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I have an Atranomical amount of respect for Islam.....

HeyZeus -

I agree, and thank you for excusing my spelling errors.

-Nick (Throatmeal)

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Atranomical...lol

Atranomical...lol

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah "wow" Throatmeal, that

Yeah "wow" Throatmeal, that was a blast to read.    Would you please please explain briefly your "astronomical" respect for Islam? .... as a control tool, I am ignorantly assuming ???  I tried "tracking" you to no avail ????  (clicking on your RRS name)

Hey RRS, what does "not verified mean" and why no track function?  I want to know everything about me god as you .....  

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
It was a sarcastic joke,

It was a sarcastic joke, Godasyou, his respect was ATRANomical, not ASTROnomical. I think he has as much respect for Islam as Scott Atran, which is to say, none.

Throatmeal,not verified (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Atranomical.

I am God As You-

LOL. I don't have any respect for any religion, particularly the Abrahamic ones. The thread was refering to the veracity of Scott Atran's minimization argument regarding Islam's role as a catalyst for cross-cultural violence. I jokingly wrote that I have an "Atran"omical amount of respect for Islam, which, obviously I do not, as he obviously does. This causes me to question his ability to appropriately defer his natural anthropological "bias towards being unbiased" tendency to reason in order to properly assess a topic that straddles different cultures, though is admittedly sourced in an (ultimately) single cultural worldview (Islamic). It seems fairly obvious to me that there is nothing more accessibly unbiased than then the unadulterated and inherent lack of bias represented in the structured realm of logical discourse and rationality. A "bias towards being unbiased" serves the function to prevent an observer from infusing his/her own cultural values into the ideally passive acts of observance and the recording of data during fieldwork, from within an area of study that has to rely heavily on piecemeal anecdotal evidence, such as anthropology. A "bias towards being unbiased" becomes a liability, specifically with regard to trurth-extraction, when coupled with the need for objective, pan-societal, value-laden discourse in order to prevent things like cross-cultural murder. As for not being verified, I actually applied for an account, but never recieved the confirmation email at my gmail account, for whatever reason. Maybe God, Jr. is employing divine intervention and laserbeams to prevent me from gaining verified access to the site, which seems a pretty parsimonious explanation to me. Via con rationality.

-Nick (Throatmeal, unverified)

-Nick (Throatmeal)

Throatmeal The Heretic (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Science is the dowser of reality.

I wrote: "I jokingly wrote that I have an "Atran"omical amount of respect for Islam, which, obviously I do not, as he obviously does."

To clarify, Atran's reverence for religion is a logical result of the principle  "a bias towards being unbiased" . I didn't mean to suggest Atran's direct respect for Islam, but rather pointing out the consequesces of his uncompromising respect for the aforementioned principle.

I also would like to draw some parallels here, I'd like to know what everyone thinks. After digesting Stephen Jay Gould's concept of non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA), and recognizing some intuitive appeal in it, I looked for something outside of Gould's area of expertise to help me to effectively extrapolate this concept and compare the results against the accepted general concepts of reality. I came across a reference to NOMA in a Huffington Post blog about the ignorance of religion by Sam Harris:

"Likewise, Stephen Jay Gould's notion of "non-overlapping magisteria"

served only the religious dogmatists who realize, quite rightly, that

there is only one magisterium."

I interpreted Harris' comment to mean that there but one magisterium, namely reality, and that any division (with regard to reality in itself) of it's natural spectrum during the mental process of assimilation,  was ultimately artificial, aribitrary and athropocentric, resulting in an aberrant ability to assimilate reality and subsequently a skewed perception of reality in iteslf.

I think the intuitive appeal to the NOMA concept is more specifically a practical appeal to the inherent human processes of data assimilation. We as humans, simply can not appreciate reality in it's completeness. One exemplifying reason is the empirical disconnect that one is forced to encounter when trying to assess, integrate or compare different orders of magnitude. 

While the concept of NOMA is a successful way to aid in our assimilation of information, we have to proceed with caution when applying it as a description of reality-in-itself. It success is as an anthropocentric method for, not necessarily as an absolute reflection of. One could argue in fact, that reality begat humans and humans begat logical ideas and methods. This is really qualified by many historical examples, particularly from within fields that correctly use objectivity and logic as a sort of divining rod for truth.

This is pretty abstract stuff, so I am refining my postion for the benefit of everyone reading this. I think that people who subscribe to this ill-conceived approach, like Gould and perhaps Atran, are really just conflating organically non-proximal aspects of reality. Concepts designed to assess reality accurately are developed precisely because we desire and need a more complete/accurate picture of reality. In an effort to do this, we design the methods to work with our innate mental mechanisms that collect, parse and collate information. In other words, our mental nature both begets and qualifies our methods of data assimilation. Reality-in-itself, however, is not naturally parsed and compartmentalized. It is infinite and spectral, evidenced in the nature of the visible light spectrum juxtaposed with our compartmentalized categorization of the range of colors. If you accept these concepts as congruent with reality-in-itself then you have to accept the lost nuances and subtleties of reality-in-itself as well, as well as the unpredictable consequences that stem from their acceptance and application. Reality is spectral and infinite in it's composition. Our methods for assimiliating reality are a reflection of our human incapacity to assimilate both the whole set and the collective sub-sets simultaneously.

As I pointed out before, this is pretty abstract stuff, and as such has no mass rhetorical appeal, so I may postpone using this in an actual debate about this stuff. That being said, I think it is important to explore our subscriptions on an abstract philosophical level in an attempt to reduce susceptibility to various dogams as well as to the dangers of individual or group subjectivity especially when making attempts at truth-extraction for common social benefit.

-Nick (Throatmeal the Outcast)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the clarity my

Thanks for the clarity my friends .... reality !  .... you as I, god ! .....  > <

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Throatmeal The Heretic

Throatmeal The Heretic wrote:

-Nick (Throatmeal the Outcast)

Nick, sign up! More of us means fewer of them!

(Okay, not really, but at least you could then drop the "outcast&quotEye-wink

Throatmeal The Not Verified (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately no registration without respondification

I don't know what the deal with my registration is. I registered 2 days ago and still haven't received a confirmation from the site. I tried to request a new password a couple of times, to no avail. I then used the contact link to inform them of this, and am currently awaiting a response. I really want to put up my avatar so you guys can see what I look like. I'm told I could pass for the bastard spawn of The God Warrior, Michelle Perrin and smarmy theism apologist/Ben Franklin look-a-like Christopher Hedges.

MC Throats, Pleasure Captain

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately no

Unfortunately no registration without respondification

Lol!

As for NOMA, good insight, I personally agree with Dawkins as he states in the God Delusion that NOMA was really just an olive branch from Gould's science to religion to get them to accept some of science's teaching and create a wedge into the issue of religion not butting its ugly head into purely scientific affairs, like the teaching of evolution, or punctuated equilibrium. Reality is just that, reality. There is no my reality is this and your reality is that(and I am not talking in the philosophical subjective "how we see the world way&quotEye-wink. There is a god, or there is not. Life evolved and is evolving, or it is not. There is an objective truth to these questions. To dismiss real evidence and say we are asking different questions, your views don't interfere with mine, is an epic mischaracterization of the nature of reality, and does a disservice to both science and religion. The are mutually exclusive explanations for reality, and the olive branch of reverence that has been given by some scientists, while done in good faith, should be rescinded if honesty and truth are truely prized over the illusion of "respect" for one's beliefs.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I love it when they say

I love it when they say people like Atran and Pape are biased or 'apologizing for Islam'. Both have studied suicide terrorism and both have written peer reviewed papers on the subject.

Anyway, the question I have is why can't Theist have secular motives? If a Christian organization started taking in refugees and provided medical care to all I highly doubt people will be praising Christianity for it's kindness.

Throatmeal The Not Verified (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I love it when people don't elaborate.

Theoretically, a true theist can have secular motives up to the point where it conflicts with their bullshit religious texts. In reality, truly secular motives are a threat to theistic viability, in obvious contrast with the common Christian argument of biblically-derived morals, for example. Having truly secular motives, presumably derived from some sort of secular moral template, is a tacit rejection of, and is at odds with a theistic origin of morality. If these motives are derived from theistic morality (::scoff:Smiling, then these motives aren't secular, they are theistic. One cannot claim to be a true theist and accept the concept of a truly secular positive moral impetus simulataneously.

A peer-reviewed social science paper isn't operating with the same level of objectivity as a peer-review paper from the hard sciences, for obvious reasons. The concept of reflectionism was adopted by anthropology to allow for the inherent bias that is the result of filtering social observations through an external observer. Atran's denial of all other interpretations of data, other than his own, for whatever reason, is a tacit rejection of reflectionism. This is also supported by WVO Quine's concept of there being no cross-cultural "sameness of meaning", specifically with regard to radical field (work) translations. Quine argues that the field linguist, as an example, has to import his own conceptual sceme as a means to make sense of the culturally distinct behaviors of those being observed.  The resultant translation is tainted by the bias of the observer's conceptual sceme, and is thus limited in it's purity and it's accuracy.

By the way, what exactly is an "agnostic deist theist"? I assume that you are making a joke?

I am not an anthropologist, however my best friend from childhood is, and I consulted him on the matter of reflectionism.

-Nick, (Throatmeal The Argumentative)

MODERATOR: I still haven't received my account info, although I registered last week and sent a follow up inquiry to RRS, with no reply.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Throatmeal The Not Verified

Throatmeal The Not Verified wrote:

By the way, what exactly is an "agnostic deist theist"? I assume that you are making a joke?

I didn't put that label on.

It's late, so I'll get to the rest later. But for now, here's an interview with Pape: (About half an hour.)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Throatmeal The Not Verified

Throatmeal The Not Verified wrote:

Theoretically, a true theist can have secular motives up to the point where it conflicts with their bullshit religious texts.

In reality, truly secular motives are a threat to theistic viability, in obvious contrast with the common Christian argument of biblically-derived morals, for example. Having truly secular motives, presumably derived from some sort of secular moral template, is a tacit rejection of, and is at odds with a theistic origin of morality. If these motives are derived from theistic morality (::scoff:Smiling, then these motives aren't secular, they are theistic. One cannot claim to be a true theist and accept the concept of a truly secular positive moral impetus simulataneously.

As opposed to those 'fake' Theists?

You have it backwards. Most Theists derive their theist motives from secular motives. How do I know this? Theists are spread out like butter on toast, ,there are those against abortion, those that aren't, those that are Democrat, those that are Republician etc...

No universality from a universal belief system.

Quote:

A peer-reviewed social science paper isn't operating with the same level of objectivity as a peer-review paper from the hard sciences, for obvious reasons. The concept of reflectionism was adopted by anthropology to allow for the inherent bias that is the result of filtering social observations through an external observer. Atran's denial of all other interpretations of data, other than his own, for whatever reason, is a tacit rejection of reflectionism. This is also supported by WVO Quine's concept of there being no cross-cultural "sameness of meaning", specifically with regard to radical field (work) translations. Quine argues that the field linguist, as an example, has to import his own conceptual sceme as a means to make sense of the culturally distinct behaviors of those being observed.  The resultant translation is tainted by the bias of the observer's conceptual sceme, and is thus limited in it's purity and it's accuracy.

Think for a second, does Atran come to the data because of his own conculsions, or does he come to the conclusions based on the data. Atran seems like an intelligent guy and actually, you know, took the time to study the issue at length so I bet it's the latter.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:As

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Yes Pineapple, where do you lie in the spectrum of belief in a god. I have seen you reply to other questions in pretty reasonable manners and considered you to be a deist and against fundamentalist, personal god adherents and their tactics.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Yes Pineapple, where do you lie in the spectrum of belief in a god. I have seen you reply to other questions in pretty reasonable manners and considered you to be a deist and against fundamentalist, personal god adherents and their tactics.

I'm against the fundamentalists.

I'm not against personal God adherents and their tactics, I'm not against religion, or anything like that.

I'm not a 'fake' Theist. I don't even think there is such a thing as one.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Common sense. No surprises

Common sense. No surprises in any of this .....

Pape is correct. Atran exaggerates.  
Sam is correct, in that most all "Religion" fuels separation like patriotism.  

Our good western luck, fertile farm lands, forests .....  Their good mideastern luck, oil. Our shared bad luck; greed, patriotism, separation ..... Iraq is where Christians are mass murdering Muslims. Just imagine if all the war money was spent truly spreading good will ....

Love one another ... Share the luck and all the worlds resources. WE are ONE race of World citizens.

Isn't love really the answer to all our "solvable" problems? When is not? ( In the name of love I will kill only when I must .... that would not be often ..... )

Common Sense ????????? 

{ the ad at the top of this page said McCain, a man with the "courage" .... What a joke .... courage to kill ??? .....  }

Throatmeal The Still Not Verified (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Avril?

Did you read what I wrote?

Me: "In reality, truly secular motives are a threat to theistic viability, in obvious contrast with the common Christian argument of biblically-derived morals, for example." 

You: "You have it backwards. Most Theists derive their theist motives from secular motives." 

I think you are getting my argument twisted. You are supporting what I already argued for. You had asked in an earlier post why theists can't have secular motives, assuming that you believe that they can. As shown by my argument, I agree with you that everyone has ultimately secular motives, sourced in an evolved secular morality. However, I do not agree that they are:1) employed or regarded as secular motives by those theists who would be employing these motivesor2) recognized as secular by other theistic observers of these motivated actions. 

If these views  (1 & 2) were abandoned by theists then this would be a cannibalization of the very foundation of their theism. In order to be a "true" theist, you have to accept certain revealed moral edicts as the divine word of god. You can't be a "true" theist and acknowledge a byproduct of human evolution as the source for your morals. Similarly, you cannot cherry-pick your alleged theistic morals or reinterpret them on an individual level without damaging your claims to theism. The claim to theism diminishes the more you acknowledge and employ sources outside of your religious texts as motivators. This is why I wrote: "One cannot claim to be a true theist and accept the concept of a truly secular positive moral impetus simulataneously."

Obviously, I believe theism to be inherently unlogical and contradictory. I was merely highlighting one of the ways that this is so. 

As for your opinion on Atran:

I can say Christopher Langan seems, and in fact is, a remarkably intelligent guy. However his intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to the veracity of his pet theory, the Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe, which has in fact been rejected by a number of physicists as being essentially untenable and non-falsifiable, though Mr. Langan would urge you to think otherwise. Further, you ignored the reasoning in my critique of Atran's speech/debate, and rebutted with this:

"Think for a second, does Atran come to the data because of his own conculsions, or does he come to the conclusions based on the data. "

You seem to believe that anthropological fieldwork, which is based on observation, is somehow as logically rigorous as a replicable, falsifiable scientfic experiment. A burden of proof is on those, like Atran and Gates, who are trying to put forth their non-falsifiable collection of observations and professional interpretations as absolute truth. We have to rely on them and them alone based on FAITH. The Nazis believed the Jews to be inferior based on their own interpretations of their own observations and field work. Should we have believed them, too? On what grounds? I'm sure they had some brilliant social scientists in their employ. Is that a good enough reason?

The bottom line is this: orthodoxies, in all of their rigid certitude, and in all of their forms are eventually dangerous. It matters not where the idea of suicide bombings originated, it matters if they are employed and why. If Islam or any other closed-loop mechanism designed for mass control can adopt a particularly effective and abject method of proliferation then it's obvious that their sacred texts, coupled with an inherent rejection of logical discourse, certainly don't prohibit, and could in fact be construed as encouraging this method.  

As an aside, I should point out that I am against war and murder in all but extreme cases. I am against the invasion of Iraq, I am against all dogmatic regimes and orthodoxies, and I am against anti-intellectualism. 

For what it's worth, I think a more complete picture of the turmoil in the Middle East can be explained by the clash of exploitative US foreign policy with conceptually malevolent theocracies. Our US foreign policy is influenced by the fact that we are the staging ground for world capitalism. This foreign policy evolved from, and has in turn refined our right-skewed, limited-spectrum, seemingly closed-loop two-party duopoly.  Full-spectrum political manipulation is a byproduct of profit protection achieved through a sort of "unionization of the elite", in the silent, hulking forms of the Trilateralist Commission, the Bilderbergs, et al...  This is effectively one orthodoxy clashing with another orthodoxy (though admittedly not that neatly packaged), a horrible outcome being almost guaranteed.   

As my interest is to provoke change through objectivity, I feel we need to protest through logical disourse in every area where dogmatism reigns supreme, not limiting it to religion/theism. 

Recommended reading:  

"Trilateralism: The Trilateral Commission and Elite Planning for World Management" Edited by Holly Sklar

"The Anglo-American Establishment - from Rhodes to Cliveden" by Carroll Quigley"Word and Object" By W.V.O. Quine

"Philistine and Genius" By Dr. Boris Sidis

- Nick (Throatmeal, Instant Apple-Cinnamon.)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Throatmeal The Still Not

Throatmeal The Still Not Verified wrote:

Did you read what I wrote?

No, I just typed random words.

Quote:

Me: "In reality, truly secular motives are a threat to theistic viability, in obvious contrast with the common Christian argument of biblically-derived morals, for example." 

You: "You have it backwards. Most Theists derive their theist motives from secular motives." 

I think you are getting my argument twisted. You are supporting what I already argued for. You had asked in an earlier post why theists can't have secular motives, assuming that you believe that they can. As shown by my argument, I agree with you that everyone has ultimately secular motives, sourced in an evolved secular morality. However, I do not agree that they are:1) employed or regarded as secular motives by those theists who would be employing these motivesor2) recognized as secular by other theistic observers of these motivated actions. 

1) Some do some don't. I guess it depends on the person, but I find the more strongly they feel about it, the more likely they are to attribute it to Theism, depending on how deeply they hold the belief.

2) The exert from the letter I posted on the first page shows that the father saw his son's actions as secular.

Quote:

If these views  (1 & 2) were abandoned by theists then this would be a cannibalization of the very foundation of their theism. In order to be a "true" theist, you have to accept certain revealed moral edicts as the divine word of god. You can't be a "true" theist and acknowledge a byproduct of human evolution as the source for your morals. Similarly, you cannot cherry-pick your alleged theistic morals or reinterpret them on an individual level without damaging your claims to theism. The claim to theism diminishes the more you acknowledge and employ sources outside of your religious texts as motivators. This is why I wrote: "One cannot claim to be a true theist and accept the concept of a truly secular positive moral impetus simulataneously."

Thanks for deciding for Theists what they must/mustn't believe in order to be a Theist.  We get confused sometimes.

Quote:

As for your opinion on Atran:

I can say Christopher Langan seems, and in fact is, a remarkably intelligent guy. However his intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to the veracity of his pet theory, the Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe, which has in fact been rejected by a number of physicists as being essentially untenable and non-falsifiable, though Mr. Langan would urge you to think otherwise. Further, you ignored the reasoning in my critique of Atran's speech/debate, and rebutted with this:

"Think for a second, does Atran come to the data because of his own conculsions, or does he come to the conclusions based on the data. "

You missed the important part of that post:

Atran seems like an intelligent guy and actually, you know, took the time to study the issue at length so I bet it's the latter.

Quote:

You seem to believe that anthropological fieldwork, which is based on observation, is somehow as logically rigorous as a replicable, falsifiable scientfic experiment. A burden of proof is on those, like Atran and Gates, who are trying to put forth their non-falsifiable collection of observations and professional interpretations as absolute truth. We have to rely on them and them alone based on FAITH. The Nazis believed the Jews to be inferior based on their own interpretations of their own observations and field work. Should we have believed them, too? On what grounds? I'm sure they had some brilliant social scientists in their employ. Is that a good enough reason?

The bottom line is this: orthodoxies, in all of their rigid certitude, and in all of their forms are eventually dangerous. It matters not where the idea of suicide bombings originated, it matters if they are employed and why. If Islam or any other closed-loop mechanism designed for mass control can adopt a particularly effective and abject method of proliferation then it's obvious that their sacred texts, coupled with an inherent rejection of logical discourse, certainly don't prohibit, and could in fact be construed as encouraging this method.  

At any rate, stop the projection.

Okay then, if it's so hard to scientifically determine someone's motives, than how do you know it's religion? Or that religion plays a part or what part it plays? Why aren't you questioning Harris' work? What makes it any diferent than Artan's? Does Harris have some super mega awesome research method that is superior to Atran's?