Gun Free Zones

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gun Free Zones

I can't understand the logical process behind these laws. They're the idea that government buildings like schools and post offices should be gun-free, meaning harsh penalties for carrying weapons on to the property. Heres the logical disconnection: if you have someone who's willing to go on a rampage and kill people, why do they give a flying f*** if it's in a gun-free zone? If breaking a law--like committing murder--is no big deal, what's a "please don't bring guns here" sign gonna do?

Actually I'd say it makes most these places more dangerous. It means the majority of good, law-abiding people have no guns, while that one or two psychopaths have as many as they can carry. I don't know if we should just give everyone a gun, but there has to be something better than this.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strange how people who are

Strange how people who are against guns, if they were being attacked by a criminal, would make every attempt to summon a police officer who would arrive and most likely use his gun to rescue them.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anyone wants

I don't think anyone wants the police to not have guns.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't want police to have

I don't want police to have guns, then I will be more powerful than them! OOOOah ah ah!!!

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't want police to have

I don't want police to have guns, then I will be more powerful than them! OOOOah ah ah!!!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't think anyone wants the police to not have guns.

That is precisely my point. The presence of the firearm is the very implement that allows the officer to take control of the situation...nothing else. Not the badge or the uniform or the radio or the...

Civilians are also licensed by many States to carry firearms for their own protection.  The law recognizes  that, like police officers, if applicants meet the State mandated qualifications then they are considered fully responsible to carry a concealed handgun for their own defense.

Like police officers, if they violate the legal constraints placed upon them then they will face the full force of the law.  From start to finish the entire process is enacted under the watchful eye of the State. 

No one gets to carry a gun just 'cause they want to: like the police or military, it's a pass or fail process, and is highly regulated.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It works

MattShizzle wrote:

It works in Europe, why wouldn't it here?

Uh....what makes you think it works in Europe? Organized crime can most definitely get their hands on whatever they want. People in Europe still have the means to easily end other people's lives, but they choose not to. So there isn't such a need to protect oneself. It's not the lack of guns, it's lack of a motive. They're culture just isn't as violent.

Also, they have a bit less freedom than we do, especially if you consider places like London with damn near more cameras than people. Maybe it's not so much gun control as the quasi-Orwellian monitoring system.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try reading 'More Guns, Less

Try reading 'More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-control Laws' By John R. Lott.

If it doesn't change your opinion of the necessity of gun ownership for law-abiding citizens then at least you'll have more information.

You also need to remove your rose-tinted glasses when talking about Europe, or specifically the UK. It's only 'gun-free' for the good guys, the criminals are running rampant.

Happy Glock owner 

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
And Now A Word From A Southerner

There is a small town in Texas where everyone carries a gun.  Crime is zero.  While this is actually a kind of trick (the town is so small that everyone knows everyone else), it has been shown that in a society or group where everyone is armed, there is far less crime and violence.  It's hard to work up the courage to infringe upon someone when you could be facing any number of armed people.  I think of Senator Gabrielle Richards and if even 3 or 4 people around her had a gun the idiot would now be dead and she would be ok.

I do strongly believe in training before and during ownership of firearms, something that doesn't even seem to be being considered in the US.

I also dislike that if you shoot someone in self defense of yourself or others, you can be prosecuted, even when the person you shot was committing a crime.  Ridiculous!  When you commit a crime you place yourself outside the law and shouldn't have recourse to it.  Same with convicted criminals filing lawsuits, but I digress....

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:None of

MattShizzle wrote:

None of you have yet answered why the states with very strong gun control have  lower crime rates than those with very little. If you were right Texas, Lousiana and Alabama should have a lower murder rate than Massachusettes, Wisconsin and Vermont. If only the police and military had guns we would be a  much safer society.

Because illegals coming in from Canada are less violent then those coming up from Mexico.  Just a guess, but it has as much cause and effect as the comment above. Smiling

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to wonder how many

I have to wonder how many gun related crimes would not happen if more people carried guns?

It need  not be everyone.  People who think guns are icky can opt not to have one if that is how they feel.  However, if one person in five was packing at any given moment, that might tend to give at least some criminals pause to consider if pointing guns at people was such a good idea.

As far as gun free zone go, I think that mostly schools are at the top of that list.  That and as I recall, most of the mass murders in the past twenty years have been on school grounds.

Further, my last employers was mandated by the commissioner of mental health to be a gun free zone.  That was done in the wake of a mass murder in a state office building by an employee.  So, we have a work place mass murder and the answer is to remove the possibility of stopping the dude before things get worse.  Right, that will certainly help.

Really, consider the Virginia Tech mass murder.  If there had been a good number of armed people there, how many more people would be alive today?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi nude, welcome to the forum.

nude0007 wrote:

There is a small town in Texas where everyone carries a gun.  Crime is zero.  While this is actually a kind of trick (the town is so small that everyone knows everyone else), it has been shown that in a society or group where everyone is armed, there is far less crime and violence.  It's hard to work up the courage to infringe upon someone when you could be facing any number of armed people.  I think of Senator Gabrielle Richards and if even 3 or 4 people around her had a gun the idiot would now be dead and she would be ok.

I do strongly believe in training before and during ownership of firearms, something that doesn't even seem to be being considered in the US.

I also dislike that if you shoot someone in self defense of yourself or others, you can be prosecuted, even when the person you shot was committing a crime.  Ridiculous!  When you commit a crime you place yourself outside the law and shouldn't have recourse to it.  Same with convicted criminals filing lawsuits, but I digress....

I more or less agree with you on everything except your last paragraph. If you shoot anyone, the case needs to go through the court system. First, it needs to be officially decided that the person shot was in fact committing a crime, that whole innocent until proven guilty thing. It might be obvious to you that the person was an immediate threat, but to everyone who wasn't there you could have shot someone for kicks and giggles. That needs to be determined through the court system. 

Second, in most crimes, actually using your firearm is not necessary. If you are at a bank that is being robbed for example, the best option is usually to let the perps have the money and get away even if you are armed. Even a plainclothes police officer isn't going to pull their gun in that situation because by escalating the situation, things can get worse and bystanders can be killed in a firefight.

Everyone who carries a weapon ought to know that the use of that weapon is going to lead to a serious headache of court cases and legal fees. It really should be a last resort. We don't need yahoos shooting drugged up convenience store robbers trying to be vigilantes over a couple hundred dollars. Now when some crazy goes on a shooting rampage, well one person with a gun has the potential to save a lot of lives. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Murders in

Hambydammit wrote:

Murders in America last year: 12,658

Murders in Japan last year: 637

Population of America: 296,410,400

Population of Japan: 127,774,000

The only type of firearm which a Japanese citizen may even contemplate acquiring is a shotgun.[5] Sportsmen are permitted to possess shotguns for hunting and for skeet and trap (p.27)shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.[6] Without a license, a person may not even hold a gun in his or her hands.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I can't help but notice a correlation.  When there are no guns, there are no murders by guns.  Just my two cents.

So what do we do in our current situation? The guns are already out there. Lets say we put a complete ban on any and every fire arm there is. Who will be the ones the actually follow these laws? Probably the only ones who are currently using guns responsibly. Criminals laugh in the face of gun control laws. 

Now everyone can go ahead and call me a racist, but look at the type of people you have in Japan compared to the types of people in this country. Especially in my home town which happens to be way south. Ive done a couple of deployments out in Japan and they are the most respectable race of people I have ever met. Even the ones that don't like the "round eye" can still show common respect to me. I'll just leave this one alone now. 

Why don't you compare a country like China or North Korea to the US as well. Citizens have no guns. The governments have free reign to do as they wish. 

Be the reality is that we live in a nasty cruel world full of rapist, murderers, pedo's, etc. The police can not be everywhere at once. So why should I not have the right to defend myself and my family to the best of my ability. I want every advantage I can possibly have over some a-hole meaning us harm. Its just fantasy believing banning guns will solve this counties violence problems with the types of people living here. 

Besides even if we did get rid of all the guns we would probably just have more stabbings. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Strange how people who are against guns, if they were being attacked by a criminal, would make every attempt to summon a police officer who would arrive and most likely use his gun to rescue them.

agreed 100%. How many people being violently attacked would start reciting gun control laws?

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Yes, I

MattShizzle wrote:

Yes, I hate guns. I would be horrified to know people were carrying guns in the grocery store, mall or whatever. Luckilly I live in Pennsylvania and not a super-redneck state so it's illegal to carry in public. If someone's carrying a gun in public (obviously not a hunter hunting or having it in the back of the car/truck, a police officer, or other such situation) The SWAT team needs to show up. Another point - why is it the fucked up states that have less gun control (Texas, the South) also have way higher gun crime than the sane states that give you 5 years as a state guest for carrying anything other than a hunting rifle or such (Most of New England?)

Are you really that blinded? Just take a nice long night time walk around your typical neighborhood in New England and then come down south and stroll through the friendly neighborhoods of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Dallas. You have a lot less of the sub human types up there buddy. 

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:None of

MattShizzle wrote:

None of you have yet answered why the states with very strong gun control have  lower crime rates than those with very little. If you were right Texas, Lousiana and Alabama should have a lower murder rate than Massachusettes, Wisconsin and Vermont. If only the police and military had guns we would be a  much safer society.

In North Korea only the police and military have guns. Why not go live there. 

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
The Facts

Fact- Guns are out there, criminals have them. 

Fact- There are people in this world that will do you or your loved ones harmed for a number of reasons

Fact- The police (who carry guns, and actually get to practice shooting a lot less than you think) can not be everywhere at once.

Now who feels they have the right to tell me that I can not defend myself to the best of my ability against such people?

I do believe that a citizen who carries should have to undergo a through training process and demonstrate a superb ability to handle a weapon in a stressful situation. 

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Working on the socioeconomic

Working on the socioeconomic factors will do a lot more to reduce the murder rate then trying to eliminate guns.

I know there was a post about murder rates here vs Japan.  Has anyone looked into not-murder-but-violent crame rates?  For instance, how many people per capita in Japan attack people with a knife or a bat or something, compared to here.  They don't have guns, but they can still get some kind of weapon if they really want to.  Look at gunless crime in Japan (or wherever, doesn't have to be Japan) and compare it to gunless crime here.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I more or less agree with you on everything except your last paragraph. If you shoot anyone, the case needs to go through the court system. First, it needs to be officially decided that the person shot was in fact committing a crime, that whole innocent until proven guilty thing. It might be obvious to you that the person was an immediate threat, but to everyone who wasn't there you could have shot someone for kicks and giggles. That needs to be determined through the court system. 

Second, in most crimes, actually using your firearm is not necessary. If you are at a bank that is being robbed for example, the best option is usually to let the perps have the money and get away even if you are armed. Even a plainclothes police officer isn't going to pull their gun in that situation because by escalating the situation, things can get worse and bystanders can be killed in a firefight.

Everyone who carries a weapon ought to know that the use of that weapon is going to lead to a serious headache of court cases and legal fees. It really should be a last resort. We don't need yahoos shooting drugged up convenience store robbers trying to be vigilantes over a couple hundred dollars. Now when some crazy goes on a shooting rampage, well one person with a gun has the potential to save a lot of lives. 

In turn, I will more or less agree with you but with key modification.

First, if you stay in touch with the gun owning community, you will hear plenty of stories wher simply displaying a gun has caused a criminal to back down. Sure, criminals are stupid but they are generally not so stupid as to not know that they might end up dead in such a case.

Second, in your bank robbery example, that heavily depends on the situation. Let's say that I am just trying to deposit my paycheck when some idiot hand the teller a note that says he has a gun. Well, I would not even know what is going on. However, the teller has various ways of triggering a silent alarm from a foot switch to removing the last bill from the cash drawer (and probably others).

If the gun comes out but is not used as more than a visual threat, then no, that is not the time to shoot. However, if the muzzle is raised and pointed at the teller, then it becomes time to shoot if a safe angle can be established.

You would still have to go to court on that one but in that case, there would be eyewitness testimony backed up by several camera angles which establish that you acted to prevent a criminal shooting. The prosecutor is still going to do as much as possible to drag that case out but in the end, it will be shown that you had good reason to waste the guy.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
OK. let me take up a

OK. let me take up a question that came up earlier in this thread but was never properly resolved.

Why can't I have an AK47?

Now the last time we had this discussion, it ended up revolving around whether an AK was in the same class of weapons as nukes. That is so off point that the concept shall not be entertained.

What I am looking at is the question of: considering guns only, what is so special about an AK that it merits differential treatment?

I am well aware of my local laws and they are so vague that if the question ever came to SCOTUS, they would probably be automatically void due to not actually saying anything useful.

So what is the problem with an AK if it does not violate Federal laws? Local laws, those I can deal with. I could trivially buy a Dragonov which is functionally identical to an AK as long as I find an out of state gun smith who can do a barrel replacement.

However, I cannot buy one in state because it it illegal for an unmodified Dragonov to exist in state. If If I find an out of state gun smith who can buy it and replace the barrel, then I can legally find an instate FFL holder to arrange shipping.

If that does not work, then what about an IMI Galiel? That would take fires more modification but it would still be an AK, just one that fires NATO standard rounds.

At this point, this is more of an intellectual exercise than a plan to get around the idea of banned guns. But the point that I am really going for is how do you define the class of “bad guns”?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
OK. let me take up a question that came up earlier in this thread but was never properly resolved.

Now the last time we had this discussion, it ended up revolving around whether an AK was in the same class of weapons as nukes. That is so off point that the concept shall not be entertained.

What I am looking at is the question of: considering guns only, what is so special about an AK that it merits differential treatment?

I am well aware of my local laws and they are so vague that if the question ever came to SCOTUS, they would probably be automatically void due to not actually saying anything useful.

So what is the problem with an AK if it does not violate Federal laws? Local laws, those I can deal with. I could trivially buy a Dragonov which is functionally identical to an AK as long as I find an out of state gun smith who can do a barrel replacement.

However, I cannot buy one in state because it it illegal for an unmodified Dragonov to exist in state. If If I find an out of state gun smith who can buy it and replace the barrel, then I can legally find an instate FFL holder to arrange shipping.

If that does not work, then what about an IMI Galiel? That would take fires more modification but it would still be an AK, just one that fires NATO standard rounds.

At this point, this is more of an intellectual exercise than a plan to get around the idea of banned guns. But the point that I am really going for is how do you define the class of “bad guns”?

June 20 1994, a nut case shot up the hospital at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane, WA.  Do you remember?  My father-in-law was volunteering for the Red Cross at the time and he was there shortly afterward as part of the local disaster response team.  He was buddies with almost everyone in town, including a local sheriff's deputy.

5 people were killed, 22 people wounded, some of whom were children.

http://fairchildhospitalshooting.com/  Written by the man who killed him.

The nut case was stationed at Fairchild and had been seeing the psychiatrists at the base hospital.  They recommended he be discharged.  And so he was.  He returned to the base walked into the hospital and opened fire.  He was shot and killed by a MP.  Bullet through the center of the forehead.  The MP in question was known as an okay shot.

What was not publicized - since it never went to trial.  The guy legally bought a MAK-90 and 80 rounds of ammunition and the magazine to hold them.  He bought them at a large local sporting goods store, called rather inelegantly, The General Store.  Huge gun counter.  The salesman asked to be moved to a different department after the shooting.  The nut case filed off the pin that made it semi-automatic and turned it into fully automatic.

The laws have changed and the nut case would not be able to buy a weapon, now, right?  Maybe.  http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/02/22/20100222guns-gilbert.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ILLEGAL+GUNS%3b+BLACK+MARKET+SALES+TRACED+TO+VALLEY+TRAFFICKER.%28NEWS%29-a083608327

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/feb/15/gun_dealer_charged_illegal_sale30723/

Shall I go on?  Please note the dates.  So people are violating the law because they just have to own these weapons.  They have needs.  Just like speeders, and drunk drivers, and pedophiles, and .....  Let's skip that argument, okay?

Yes, people kill people.  Guns are generally inert unless in the hands of someone.  And I personally don't care if you own a 30-30 or 30-06 or 12 gauge or some other hunting weapon.  If it isn't semi-automatic or fully automatic where your target has the chance to duck for cover.  (That includes deer and other game animals and birds.)  If the magazine is small.  The weapons we had around the house when I was a kid generally held less than a dozen rounds in the chamber.  If you can't hit your target with that, maybe you should be practicing more at the shooting range.  I see no need for anyone to own a weapon that was designed for rapid fire with the express intent of killing as many people as possible as quickly as possible.  That isn't hunting, it is slaughter.

You need to have an automatic because the bad guys have automatics?  No, you don't.  You need skill and a good emplacement. 

Ask yourself - what weapons did the writers of the Constitution own?  Muskets?  Muzzle loaders?  And what kind of skill did it take to hit the broad side of a barn?  Literally.  And what do you think they might say if they saw a modern weapon?  Whoa, cool?  Or, oh. my. god. ??  Especially if they walked into Fairchild Hospital right after the shooting.

I am promising myself I won't look at this thread again.  I promise you I won't post again.  So there is no need to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, that your rights are being violated, that you would never shoot up a bunch of children in a hospital, that most people are law abiding and would never do anything so terrible.  That it ain't your fault there are crazy people in this world.  That it is a slippery slope - take away your assault rifles and next it will be your laser sights and 80 round magazines.  That you need it to defend yourself.  Right, like you will carry a loaded weapon into a hospital and stash it in your bed side table so you can leap out of bed and take down the next crazy fool who comes through shooting.  Sure.  Right after you come out of the anesthesia from your heart by pass surgery.  Be sure to take your cape and tights while you are at it.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Keith Richards don't need no stinkin' AK 47  

Say 'Hello' to his his little friend...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well redneF, I doubt that I need to get you on board. Even so, what I am going for is how do you come up with an exact definition of a “bad gun”?

Really, 20 years ago, manufacturers had it that 18+1 rounds were comfortable in the hand. Then we elected the sexual predator president who declared that 10 rounds was as much as anyone could possibly need but 11 rounds was unnecessarily enormous. Mind you, if you were willing to carry in condition one then you got the extra round.

So why is it that if I have the federal permit for full auto, I can trivially have a Galil and that is fine but an AK is off the table for me? The only difference is that a Galil fires NATO rounds.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Well redneF, I doubt that I need to get you on board. Even so, what I am going for is how do you come up with an exact definition of a “bad gun”?

Really, 20 years ago, manufacturers had it that 18+1 rounds were comfortable in the hand. Then we elected the sexual predator president who declared that 10 rounds was as much as anyone could possibly need but 11 rounds was unnecessarily enormous. Mind you, if you were willing to carry in condition one then you got the extra round.

So why is it that if I have the federal permit for full auto, I can trivially have a Galil and that is fine but an AK is off the table for me? The only difference is that a Galil fires NATO rounds.

I'm not against law abiding citizens owning guns. I don't see how anyone claiming to be rational, can argue that citizens should not be able to be able to defend themselves against an armed intruder, or assailant, or a group of thugs.

There is a marked difference in even basic firearms. There's a difference between the long range capability to shoot 3 inch groups at distance with a hand gun vs a rifle with a scope.

If the police have to try and stop a madman with a handgun, they can get into a range where his kill odds (of the police) are poor, while the police are well within an easy 99% kill range.

I have to say that when it comes to fully automatic assault rifles, they do fall into a different category. There's no escaping it. It's not much different that handgrenades vs a slingshot. It's the same with 'armor piercing' rounds, or 'tracer' rounds. I don't know if they are legal anywhere, but, it's clear that those are not about 'matching' firepower with an assailant.

I think there could be ways to legislate that guys who are extreme hobbyists, to own these weapons, by limiting transporting them, or having easy access to them. Like, for example, being able to own such a weapon, but only being able to store and use it at a target range.

I don't own guns. I do own high powered hunting bows. I've been an archer since I was a kid. I've also been into martial arts since I was a kid. I also own numerous weapons and knives used in those disciplines, and know how to use them.

To be honest, I don't even know how 'legal' it is to own some of the things that I do. I remember someone telling me once that it was not legal to own 'sharpened' samurai swords.

I have drawn my bow on 2 burglars trying to break into my house, one winter, many years ago. The expressions on their faces when I came around the side of the house in my boxer briefs and told them that the serrated broadhead I was using could go through the two of them at 30 yards, was priceless.

I consider that an even 'match' in 'firepower', in those circumstances. I didn't even think twice about whether they were armed with a gun. If either of them took a shot at me, at the range that I was from them, chances are good that they'd miss me. There was very, very little chance I'd not get a kill shot.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
OK, a couple of point to

OK, a couple of point to make.

As far as your bow vs. burglar scenario: if a gun ended up pointed at you, I would expect that you would let the arrow fly before he had a chance to pull the trigger. That would be self defense. You are still going to get dragged through the court system for using lethal force and I have no problem with that.

On the definition of different classes of guns, I mostly don't see where you draw the lines. Possibly the point where you go full auto might be a line worth drawing. Really, do you need to put five rounds in some dude because he is dangerous? That sounds like a bit much to me.

On the other hand, if I was on my way to a range that allowed FA fire and I saw a pit bull chasing a small child, well, the pit bull is going down. As long as I have my paperwork in order, who the fuck cares whether I used one bullet or ten?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

However, what I am trying to get to is the idea of what makes some guns bad where others are not?

I know well my state law on thew matter and it is really irrational. There are two ways that a gun can be bad. Let me work on them separately.

The first way is if the gun is one of fifty guns which are specifically defined as bad. However, the list has not been amended since the bill entered law around thirty years ago. So what does that tell us about all the different types of guns that are new since then? Are they automatically good because they were not bad when Reagan was president?

Curiously, the legislature, in their inestimable wisdom included two .22 caliber pistols on that list. Nobody knows why.

The second way is if a gun has three or more of a list of five totally cosmetic features. None of which has any bearing on what comes out of the business end. They are bad guns because they are scary guns.

Now I will disclose that I happen to be a member of the NRA. I think that guns that look cool happen to look cool. Against that, I would think that a .22 revolver pointed in my direction would be something which merits concern.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On the other hand, would you care to tell me what defines a carbine?

Gun owners know them to be generally medium sized guns but how do you define whether a gun is a long gun, a short gun or something in between?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Really, do you need to put five rounds in some dude because he is dangerous? That sounds like a bit much to me.

I would disagree here. If someone is in my house and I think they are trying to kill me I doubt I will have the presence of mind to count my shots. Heat of the moment thing. I'm kind of a slow thinker type as well so I just hope I never have to use a gun or any tool for killing as far as that goes.

We live in a world where a criminal can sue you if they break into your house and slip in some spilled milk you failed to clean up and as I mentioned in another thread where people are more concerned with the well being of a killer over the victim.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

As far as your bow vs. burglar scenario: if a gun ended up pointed at you, I would expect that you would let the arrow fly before he had a chance to pull the trigger. That would be self defense.

They exercised the only option I was willing to allow them, and that was to turn and run. I would not have even entertained for one of them to turn and face me.

You are still going to get dragged through the court system for using lethal force and I have no problem with that.

I already have a real good plan in place, for what to do in the event that I would have had to use lethal force. If you know what I mean.

A good boy scout is always prepared...

On the definition of different classes of guns, I mostly don't see where you draw the lines. Possibly the point where you go full auto might be a line worth drawing. Really, do you need to put five rounds in some dude because he is dangerous? That sounds like a bit much to me.

I think that you and I wouldn't argue too much about where to draw the line. I don't think full auto glocks are something that citizens 'must' have.

On the other hand, if I was on my way to a range that allowed FA fire and I saw a pit bull chasing a small child, well, the pit bull is going down. As long as I have my paperwork in order, who the fuck cares whether I used one bullet or ten?

I agree. In that instance, the extra rounds are 'insurance'.

A colleague of mine took a 3 yr sabbatical to sail around the world, with his wife, and young son. He was a German immigrant who imported weapons occasionally. He showed my the firepower he had on the boat with him, as well as some of the 'booby traps' he had the boat rigged up with. He was loaded for bear. He even had an RPG!

I though he was deranged, till he explained to me about the pirates that exist on the seas, and that your only option is to 'kill, or be killed', in those scenarios. There's no radioing for the coast guard. By the time they respond, your vessel will probably be at the bottom of the ocean.

However, what I am trying to get to is the idea of what makes some guns bad where others are not?

I know well my state law on thew matter and it is really irrational. There are two ways that a gun can be bad. Let me work on them separately.

The first way is if the gun is one of fifty guns which are specifically defined as bad. However, the list has not been amended since the bill entered law around thirty years ago. So what does that tell us about all the different types of guns that are new since then? Are they automatically good because they were not bad when Reagan was president?

Curiously, the legislature, in their inestimable wisdom included two .22 caliber pistols on that list. Nobody knows why.

The second way is if a gun has three or more of a list of five totally cosmetic features. None of which has any bearing on what comes out of the business end. They are bad guns because they are scary guns.

I have no doubt that the laws are completely without reason or rhyme.

I used to be part of an archery club many years ago, and IIRC there were some very specific laws concerning crossbows, but I don't remember what they were.

I remember a friend of mine who was a cop telling me about the various laws which knives were legal, and which weren't, and that was pretty convoluted. 

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
*puts on supreme court judge

*puts on supreme court judge costume*

The security of individual rights, such as life and property, depend greatly on the individual's capacity to assert those rights in absentia of government. Wherein governments are capable of failure citizens may have to defend themselves. Small arms appear to be sufficient for that role. Accounting for tactical role and competence an individual should need no more than one semi-automatic pistol, one shotgun, and one (possibly selective fire) rifle.

Basically, if the zombies finally do come ya'll will wish you had a gun. 

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Answers in

robj101 wrote:

Really, do you need to put five rounds in some dude because he is dangerous? That sounds like a bit much to me.

I would disagree here. If someone is in my house and I think they are trying to kill me I doubt I will have the presence of mind to count my shots. Heat of the moment thing. I'm kind of a slow thinker type as well so I just hope I never have to use a gun or any tool for killing as far as that goes.

We live in a world where a criminal can sue you if they break into your house and slip in some spilled milk you failed to clean up and as I mentioned in another thread where people are more concerned with the well being of a killer over the victim.

Add to that the fact that one shot may not incapacitate them. See "Stopping Power."

Also, you can file lawsuits against anyone for anything. Theoretically I could try to sue you for using the letter "e" too much (no sane lawyer would file that for me, so I would have to file it pro se), though it would either be thrown out, I could be held in contempt, and could even (theoretically) face a malicious prosecution charge if it went too far.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The point of the 2nd

The point of the 2nd Amendment was not for you to hunt or protect yourself from some random home intruder. It was included specifically for the purpose of having an armed population that could overthrow the government. To the extent that fully automatic weapons are indeed extremely useful in combat situations, while not posing the risk of blowing up whole cities (like a nuke), they ought to be legal. 

(After all, Glenn Beck could win an election)

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

The point of the 2nd Amendment was not for you to hunt or protect yourself from some random home intruder. It was included specifically for the purpose of having an armed population that could overthrow the government. To the extent that fully automatic weapons are indeed extremely useful in combat situations, while not posing the risk of blowing up whole cities (like a nuke), they ought to be legal. 

(After all, Glenn Beck could win an election)

I would second this except the full auto part. We didn't have those back then nor did we have nukes and drones and blah blah.

Don't get me wrong I personally would love to have one of those neat turkish full auto pistols just for fun but as much as I enjoy shooting and all I can see where we might rationally want to draw a line somewhere. Can you imagine someone bent on a killing spree with a full auto shotgun for example? They are neat and I could spend a paycheck blowing something up at the range for an hour but maybe it's ..too neat and way too easy.

If a large enough percentage of the population were to revolt for whatever reason (which is what it would take to be legit anyway a majority of the population right?) something tells me full auto weapons wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Btw one of my favorite made up quotes: "You cannot invade the mainland United States, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I would second

robj101 wrote:

I would second this except the full auto part. We didn't have those back then nor did we have nukes and drones and blah blah.

Don't get me wrong I personally would love to have one of those neat turkish full auto pistols just for fun but as much as I enjoy shooting and all I can see where we might rationally want to draw a line somewhere. Can you imagine someone bent on a killing spree with a full auto shotgun for example? They are neat and I could spend a paycheck blowing something up at the range for an hour but maybe it's ..too neat and way too easy.

If a large enough percentage of the population were to revolt for whatever reason (which is what it would take to be legit anyway a majority of the population right?) something tells me full auto weapons wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Btw one of my favorite made up quotes: "You cannot invade the mainland United States, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

You couldn't cause nearly the damage with a full auto shotgun as you could with an explosive made from perfectly legal ingredients. In fact, for mass shooting purposes, I don't believe that full auto provides you any special advantage if your goal is to kill as many people as possible. The primary purpose of full auto is to provide suppression fire when you are faced with a large force and want to force them to remain behind cover (usually to cover the movement of your own forces). In the military, full auto is rarely used for the purpose of killing, generally you have your weapon set on single or triple burst. The only place where full auto would come in handy in a mass murder situation would be to keep the cops at bay when they show up. But even then, full auto does not translate directly into more death.

If your main reason for banning full auto weapons is fear of mass shootings, you should ban all guns, because pistols seem to be the preferred weapon of mass killers (probably because they are easy to carry with lots of ammo and not be noticed until the shooting starts). And IMO, the best weapon to use in a mass killing is a rifle. A trained shooter who can kill from a long distance could kill many people before anyone realized where the shots were coming from, and would even have a chance of getting away with it. It simply isn't that hard to kill unarmed civilians if you put your mind to it with any gun.

Plus, outlawing a gun isn't going to prevent someone from using it for a mass killing spree. Someone who is going on a killing spree knows that most likely they will end up dead or in jail for life, they are not going to worry about breaking a gun law. If you want a full auto gun, you can get one for the right price, so I don't see the point of denying them to law abiding citizens. Also implicit in your assumption is that the military or police forces are somehow immune from nuts that go on killing sprees. They aren't. It happens from time to time.  

Fortunately, there simply are not a lot of people out there who go on killing sprees. Most people are more sane than that. I don't think you would have more mass killers if full auto guns were legal, nor do I think that most mass murderers would be able to use the full auto to their advantage to kill more people. It is sad when it happens, but mass killing sprees are simply not that much of a danger compared to risks we take every day. Marriage causes far more murders than mass killing sprees. So if you want to save lives, legalize full auto and ban marriage.  

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Opening up in a crowded mall

Opening up in a crowded mall with a semi auto pistol vs a full auto machine gun ..hmm.

But really if you want to get funny mcdonalds kills more people than mass murderers. I'm just pointing out potential and we are discussing guns not marriage or crack or whatever other items might kill more folks.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Opening up in

robj101 wrote:

Opening up in a crowded mall with a semi auto pistol vs a full auto machine gun ..hmm.

But really if you want to get funny mcdonalds kills more people than mass murderers. I'm just pointing out potential and we are discussing guns not marriage or crack or whatever other items might kill more folks.

Lots of things kill more people than mass murderers with guns. So why do we get all upset about mass murders with guns? Why are those deaths so important that we have to take away from a law abiding citizens ability to protect themselves and their Constitutionally guaranteed right? The risk of being killed in a killing spree is extremely low and not even worth worrying about. If there was significant and likely danger to massive numbers of people, there might be an argument to ban them, but there isn't. It is, and would remain, one of the most unlikely ways for you to die. Most people will go through life and never even know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who was killed in a mass killing.

Unless you can demonstrate that full auto weapons would have a significant negative impact on our society, I don't see on what grounds they should be illegal.  

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:robj101

Beyond Saving wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Lots of things kill more people than mass murderers with guns. So why do we get all upset about mass murders with guns? Why are those deaths so important that we have to take away from a law abiding citizens ability to protect themselves and their Constitutionally guaranteed right? The risk of being killed in a killing spree is extremely low and not even worth worrying about. If there was significant and likely danger to massive numbers of people, there might be an argument to ban them, but there isn't. It is, and would remain, one of the most unlikely ways for you to die. Most people will go through life and never even know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who was killed in a mass killing.

Unless you can demonstrate that full auto weapons would have a significant negative impact on our society, I don't see on what grounds they should be illegal.  

Beats me but it's apparently an issue.

I don't need to they are already banned* well enough. To have one nowdays you must fill out paperwork for the next year and a half and carry an fbi agent around in your back pocket.

So I already won this little argument by default sea!