Dick to the Dawk Revealed

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dick to the Dawk Revealed

We now know who made the "Beware the Believers" video, it was  made by Michael Edmondson for the producers of Expelled.  He  wrote to PZ Meyers and told him that it was more or less just funny, not necessarily made as propaganda to convince people of ID. Pharyngula article

Here is the original Beware the Believers:Which I think is freakin hilarious regardless of the intent.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're serious? That was

You're serious? That was supposed to be a big insult from 'Expelled's producers?

That just makes it even more funny. They can't even insult people properly. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Darwin wrote: If you don't

Darwin wrote:
If you don't know me you don't know Dick!  Yeah!

LOL  I fucking love that video.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Totally

Yeah that video totally rocks, I wish I could find an mp3 of it. If I can find one, I will try to post it on this thread.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
We comment often about

We comment often about god... "people who don't want their beliefs laughed at shouldn't have such silly beliefs." 

I laughed and enjoyed the dick to the dawk video because the beliefs portrayed are funny.  The notion that science is a big conspiracy is so ludicrous that it just comes off as funny.  It was exactly the type of response someone should have made.  Had I been an advisor for the scientific community, my response would have looked much like that video, it was perfect.  For that matter, the entire Expelled movie seems like a parody of the retardation offered by intelligent design advocates, to me.   

Ben Stein and team: I'm laughing at you.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Big science

Sapient wrote:

We comment often about god... "people who don't want their beliefs laughed at shouldn't have such silly beliefs." 

I laughed and enjoyed the dick to the dawk video because the beliefs portrayed are funny.  The notion that science is a big conspiracy is so ludicrous that it just comes off as funny.  It was exactly the type of response someone should have made.  Had I been an advisor for the scientific community, my response would have looked much like that video, it was perfect.  For that matter, the entire Expelled movie seems like a parody of the retardation offered by intelligent design advocates, to me.   

Ben Stein and team: I'm laughing at you. 

Yeah almost all of the reviews I have seen from both sides are that the video is great. Its funny that the creationists/IDiots think it is an amazingly truthful representation of what they call "BIG science."

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Hoorah! I was right!! I'm

Hoorah! I was right!! I'm hardly ever right! I feel so furry

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Best example of Poe's Law

Best example of Poe's Law ever.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Best example of Poe's

Quote:
Best example of Poe's Law ever.

Dammit, Will... You always seem to beat me to the punch.

Anyway, this is why you never see Christian stand-up comedy.  Too many people in the audience would take it seriously.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Okay...

...what, exactly, is "Poe's Law?"

Conor

________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
My sides still hurt from

My sides still hurt from watching that. The guy has talent, you have to give it to him.

Oh, BTW Ben Stein, Dawkin's science degree does make him smarter than you. A lot smarter. Think about what that means for minute. No, really, just think about it. Is it coming to you? Anything? No? Here, let me help...

When you disagree with people who are smarter than you, it usually means that they are right and you are wrong.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote:...what,

Conor Wilson wrote:

...what, exactly, is "Poe's Law?"

Poe's Law says that in the absence of body/facial language it's impossible to discern true fundamentalism from parody.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Ah...

...Thanks, Corporeal!

Conor

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's hillarious. Was that

That's hillarious. Was that suposed to be a critisism?

Where do i get me one of them machines?

Isn't that Jillswift's dancing Darwin?

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is anyone here in ever in

Is anyone here in ever in contact with Dr. Dawkins?

If you are, tell him that he absolutely must call himself 'un-fucking-blockable' the next time he's debating a creationist on T.V. It'll be the best moment caught on film ever.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure

yes on the next debate I can see it now.

Opponent: You have to have faith that Jesus resurrection took place, just like you have faith in science, but we have numerous attested sources to this event. Trying to block out God just because you dislike him is no reason to deny his existence.

Dawkins: I'm sorry do you really expect me to believe that, do you? I'm smarter than you because I have a science degree, I studied Biology, and this is one Dick that is un-fucking-blockable. Science is interesting and if you don't agree you can fuck off!

By the way Dawkins refuses to debate Creationists because he says "well I'm sure it well help your CV, but it won't do much for mine." He doesn't believe in debating Creationists using the standard debate format because it feels like it gives their claims equal weight as his and that is not a good strategy in debunking creationism.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Isn't that

ronin-dog wrote:
Isn't that Jillswift's dancing Darwin?
Yup yup. That's where I got 'im from.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:By

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

By the way Dawkins refuses to debate Creationists because he says "well I'm sure it well help your CV, but it won't do much for mine."

LOL

That's beautiful.

*claps hands*  Bravo, Mr. Dawkins.  Bravo.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Is anyone here in ever in contact with Dr. Dawkins?

If you are, tell him that he absolutely must call himself 'un-fucking-blockable' the next time he's debating a creationist on T.V. It'll be the best moment caught on film ever.

Dawkins has commented on the video saying that it doesn't even make him crack a smile, because he just doesn't get it. Some posters at RD.net tried to explain the humor to him, and he now claims to understand the angle of the humor (burlesque/juxtaposing incredibly unrelated things, etc) but that it still doesn't make him laugh.

So, alas, I doubt he'll use it.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
interview with EdmondsonI

interview with Edmondson

I just found another interview with the creator, that is slightly less ambiguous, but still a little unclear as to his personal intentions of both videos.