Atheists are unattractive...what?

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists are unattractive...what?

Anyone else notice this campaign from the theist to introduce the stereo type that atheist usually are below average looking?  It could be backlash from are introduction into the meme pool that theists are generally less intelligent then atheist which is true on average. The point though I really think atheist women at least are generally more attractive.  If you browse my space by religion you can easily see that atheist and Catholics hold quite a lead over the worst being Wicca and Muslim.  Is Skinner's pigeons playing with my head or is anyone else seeing this?

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Maybe you could point out

Maybe you could point out examples of this campaign, because I haven't seen it.

(examples of their being a higher percentage of hot atheist women then there are hot theist women)

It doesn't make any sense for this to be true

(edited for clarity)

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vesha wrote:Anyone else

Vesha wrote:

Anyone else notice this campaign from the theist to introduce the stereo type that atheist usually are below average looking?  It could be backlash from are introduction into the meme pool that theists are generally less intelligent then atheist which is true on average. The point though I really think atheist women at least are generally more attractive.  If you browse my space by religion you can easily see that atheist and Catholics hold quite a lead over the worst being Wicca and Muslim.  Is Skinner's pigeons playing with my head or is anyone else seeing this?

Angelina Joli is an atheist.  I know she gets a lot of press for being pretty and all...and I'm not into jumping into bandwagons.  However I find her extremely attractive.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I used to find her a lot

I used to find her a lot more attractive than I do now

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe you can decide from

Maybe you can decide from this:

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/people/list/celebrity-categories.asp

(click on Religion in the Categories box on the right)

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Atheist women hotter.

Atheist women are hotter. Hands down. Deluded just doesn't equal sexy to me.

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Maybe you could

Jello wrote:

Maybe you could point out examples of this campaign, because I haven't seen it.

I've just generally noticed it in video's and blogs.  Here is the latest shocking video that made me post this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eIKsyMGa0aM

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I will admit that the

Well I will admit that the prettiest girl I personally know is a mad fundy..generally though there are a lot more nice girls at the metal/goth club who aren't likely to be xtian than there ever where at church.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Atheist

HisWillness wrote:

Atheist women are hotter. Hands down. Deluded just doesn't equal sexy to me.

I agree.  I would say my #1 turnoff is smokers, but #2 would definately be a theist.  Looks don't really matter a whole lot if you can't have an intelligent conversation with them.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: I agree.  I

V1per41 wrote:

I agree.  I would say my #1 turnoff is smokers, but #2 would definately be a theist.  Looks don't really matter a whole lot if you can't have an intelligent conversation with them.

You can have an intelligently designed conversation with them, amirite.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well that's obviously not

Well that's obviously not true, look at Kelly.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
That link

That link did not have many atheists hotties. I mean I guess I could fantasize about a 4-way with me WHoopi, Diane Keaton, and Janeane Garofalo, but the  best thing about it would probably be Janeane's comic relief. I would have to unfortunately say that this is  one of the few major drawbacks for atheism. Most hot chicks in America are Christian(or theistic) due to the fact that most women are Christian. Its a numbers game at this point. If intelligence and skepticism=attractiveness then no question Atheists would be more attractive, but I actually think reality is the exact opposite. Most of the hottest women I have known have been devout Christians, and, sad to say, Mormons.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gorgeous atheistic examples

Gorgeous atheistic examples of the female form:

[TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

[/TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

Quote:
I would have to unfortunately say that this is  one of the few major drawbacks for atheism.

I think you just need to re-evaluate the evidence. From the top of this post down is a good starting point.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I'm half in love

I think I'm half in love with this girl!

(This video leaves you incredibly jealous of Sam Harris at about 2:40)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, plenty of beuatiful

Yeah, plenty of beuatiful atheist females here. I certainly wouldn't kick Jeneane Garofolo, Kathy Griffin or Jodie Foster out of bed. How about examples of ugly Christian women? One I can think of is that "God Warrior" one who was on a bunch of YouTube videos.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:I think I'm

Strafio wrote:

Aww. You have an eCrush on someone.

It's like a normal crush, but because it's on the internet, it tends not to work quite right.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Aww. You

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It's like a normal crush, but because it's on the internet, it tends not to work quite right.

Speak for yourself.None of my crushes work out quite right

dudeofthemoment wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I hope this was a joke Kevin

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
I would have to unfortunately say that this is  one of the few major drawbacks for atheism.

I think you just need to re-evaluate the evidence. From the top of this post down is a good starting point.

Here is my quote in more whole form:"I would have to unfortunately say that this is  one of the few major drawbacks for atheism. Most hot chicks in America are Christian(or theistic) due to the fact that most women are Christian. Its a numbers game at this point."

All I am saying is that since the majority of people(ie. majority of women too) where I live are theistic, then that basically means that by sheer numbers there will be more attractive women that are theists than there are that are atheists because the former group has a much larger pool to draw from than the latter. That is not to say that Atheist women are unattractive, but rather that on average the attractive women you meet will be more likely to be theistic. If there was a causal link between attractiveness and theism or atheism and attractiveness, then we could definitively and quantitatively dispute this. As there is not, and I suspect there to be no such link found, since these beliefs are most often found to be a result of parental or cultural upbringing(obviously most of us here escaped these foundations).

As for physical attractiveness, that is solely seen through the eyes of the beholder. That being said, using one's national television and movie stars as a gauge for what attractiveness is(and this is not always right ie Paris Hilton) can be used to arbitrarily accomodate a range of what attractiveness is and is not.

I know there are some seriously hot atheist chicks like Angelina Jolie. Atheist women can be hot, and many are. As a whole, I don't think it would be unrealistic to say that it is a drawback, in my estimation, that there are fewer attractive women in America(based on a smaller atheist/theist female ratio in this population) who are atheists. That drawback only exists if you want to form relationships with atheist women, otherwise, then no drawback is evident.

I know you are in Canada, so I prefaced my population as "American." Booyah!

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Gorgeous

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I thought about doing this as well for a moment or two.  But I didn't want to insult anyone by ommision.  But since Kevin went and did it, I'll throw a couple more in.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cute Atheist

Strafio wrote:

Yeah she is definitely a cute atheist and those were decent videos. I don't envy Sam Harris though, he is probably on some Islamic hit list as we speak, but at least he's earning some himself some time as the star in a young girl's fantasy.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Kevin R Brown

Loc wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Speak for yourself.None of my crushes work out quite right

LOL! Indeed!
This crush will probably work out best as I have zero chance of actually meeting the girl!
All complications avoided! Eye-wink

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally I happen to think

Personally I happen to think Ellen Johnson ( of American Atheists ) ooozes sexuality.  She possesses classic beauty combined with smoldering sensuality.......oh to diddle  in her nether regions, woo woo !!    sweet pheromones !!!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Kevin R Brown

Watcher wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I thought about doing this as well for a moment or two.  But I didn't want to insult anyone by ommision.  But since Kevin went and did it, I'll throw a couple more in

Thus my 'tip of the iceburg' brackets.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hell, I'm good looking, and

Hell, I'm good looking, and I'm an atheist.

(Ahem...)

Anyway, it's not the best photo-shoot quality shot, but how can you not be attracted to a woman who tells Jesus to "suck it" AND does this?

So yeah, Kathy Griffin is hot.

Jodie Foster:

Katherine Hepburn... the original atheist hottie!

Sarah Polley (Canadian Actress)

Bjork

Kathleen Hanna

I submit that percentage-wise, atheist women are no more likely to be unattractive than theist women.  It's just that there are so many fewer atheists that the atheist men tend to snag the really hot ones very fast.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Hirsi Ali is a gorgeous

Hirsi Ali is a gorgeous woman.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kathy Griffin

Hambydammit wrote:

I submit that percentage-wise, atheist women are no more likely to be unattractive than theist women.  It's just that there are so many fewer atheists that the atheist men tend to snag the really hot ones very fast.

I think that is almost exactly what I was saying, and most of those ladies were hot, but really, Kathy Griffin? I think she's funny, love her on Stern, and laughed a lot when she was on NewsRadio, but she is attractive in the comedianne sense in that she is attractive when compared to Roseanne or Rosie Odonnel. I don't think she is that attractive, but I guess that just goes back to my eye of the beholder comment.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gorgeous atheistic examples

.......all of the above are worthy of very naughty thoughts  ( in my mind there's a Roman orgy  going on and guess who'se there with me....that's right . )

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um... deja vu?

Um... deja vu?

astro
astro's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh I'm very attractive =]

oh I'm very attractive

=]

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sounds like they are

It sounds like they are calling us nerds or something in response to us calling them dumb jocks.

CircleK
CircleK's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno, my pic is blurry

I dunno, my pic is blurry but I ain't ugly.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I aint pretty no

I aint pretty no more...

stupid stupid shrapnel

ah who am i kiddin? its an improvement >.>

(humorous coping mechanism ftw! )

What Would Kharn Do?

ImagineDavid (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Jodie Foster

Just so you know Jodie Foster is 14 in that pic.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are many correlations

There are many correlations between personality traits and attractiveness.

Beautiful people go through life differently than non-attractive ones, and thus will naturaly gravitate in larger numbers towards various social contexts than less attractive people.

However, while atheism is a state of mind that may come more natural to some people over others, it is not sufficient to take only one factor of a person (like attractiveness) and conclude that it is the only cause that leads them to a particular state of mind.

I've resently noticed that almost all my posts bring up Scandinavia as a comperative example, so I'm almost embarrased to do it again, but here goes:

I have heard from many foreigners (and I must admit, I think so myself too) that Scandinavian women are very attractive, on average (just think of the Swedish stewardess stereotype in American popular culture).

Now, Scandinavia is rather atheistic, so one must expect to find alot of attractive atheist women at least, if not men, in Scandinavia. (Of course, I personally, am one extraordinarily delicious piece of man-candy, but I may just be an exception to the rule).

Meanwhile, it is quite possible that there is a certain amount of correlation between attractive people and theism in America.

Think of it this way: if you are attractive in High School, you are more likely to gravitate towards the "popular crowd" (or rather, the popular crowd may gravitate towards you, cause you're... you know, a hottie).

Now, the popular crowd are less likely (at least in middle America) to feel the need to rebel against the general consensus of society (theism), whereas, if you are allready ostricised by your peers, being honest about reality, at the expence of your "popularity", will be easier, since you are allready unpopular.

Notice that in a strongly atheistic society, the "jocks" and "Cheerleaders" will be the ones conforming to society, and it will be ugly people that will be ostriciced, and thus may as well be theists, because they are allready unpopular.

So the possible corrolation between attractiveness and theism or lack thereof, is contingent on the society, so Pretty = Theist will be a false causal connection regardless.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and also, the YouTube

Oh, and also, the YouTube video you linked to doesn't really adress this, but it talk about a certain TheJaredJammer, who made this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mph3mJjabkk&feature=related

Now, this is so outragious, that I feel I must call a Poe's law on it. I can't really believe that this person is theistic at all. I mean, this thing is so blatantly offensive, that if the person really was theist they would not have made it, even if it's meant tongue-in-cheek.

Not to mention that many of the people in the video are either average attractiveness, or even hotties (I'm only talking about the women, I can't really judge the men sufficiently), and the person who made it would have noticed this, so they'd know they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, if they meant it seriously.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheJaredJammer wrote:My

TheJaredJammer wrote:
My Theory?

Atheists became atheists due to their inner-hatred. Hatred that came about due to their being treated as sub-human freaks of nature, and outcasted from society. At first they were hurt, then their hurt turned to rage. They put the blame on God. After all, God created them, so it's his fault they're so hideous. They don't actually have a disbelief of God, they're just angry at him.

Who knows, just maybe you'll make an appearance

Lol! The cheeky fucker!!

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yearh I know Strafio... It

Yearh I know Strafio... It sounds like something a theist might say (we've sure heard: "They're just angry at God" often enough), but still, there's so much internal inconsistancy in the way the video is presented (and some of the other things that TheJaredJammer has done on there) that I hesitate to conclude that this is for real.

I mean, sure Fred Phelps seems to be for real, so this guy might be too, but still... I retain my skepticism.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe...I've not seen his

Maybe...

I've not seen his other stuff, but I didn't see the kind of irony and self-snipes that you usually get in spoofs/satire.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't say it was good

I didn't say it was good satire Eye-wink

This just appears to be provocative for the sake of being provocative. Like it's just someone who get's his rocks off from getting people angry, or hurt their feelings.

So sure, he's a dickhead, I'm just not entirely convinced he's a theist dickhead. I think he's just a coward, who get's a powertrip from hurting people from behind a computerscreen, and I don't think he takes any real interest in the position he takes (theism). He just needs a platform, any platform from which to spew his bile.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Puh-lease. Look at the goofy

Puh-lease.

Look at the goofy smile on this sexy bastard in the middle. He's an atheist.

The girl on the left arm may or may not have a black 'X' on her hand. Pay no attention.

Photobucket

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Well I will admit

Loc wrote:

Well I will admit that the prettiest girl I personally know is a mad fundy..generally though there are a lot more nice girls at the metal/goth club who aren't likely to be xtian than there ever where at church.

Maybe it's a danger factor.

Like, "she's so hot I'd like to *enter descriptive text here*... and I might have to shatter all I know about the world to do it!!!"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kevin R Brown wrote:

[TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

[/TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

Quote:

excellent examples, but my personal favorite is miss jill swift.  i've only ever seen a cartoon avatar, but her razor wit makes me palpitate.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record... I'd give

For the record...

I'd give up everything including smoking for two years for Margaret Downey.

BUT! She would have to wear this outfit at least once per week:

Photobucket

It's ok. My spouse knows.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record...Kevin

For the record...

Kevin totally made my day.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theia wrote:Maybe you can

Theia wrote:

Maybe you can decide from this:

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/people/list/celebrity-categories.asp

(click on Religion in the Categories box on the right)

I'm getting the feeling that nobody actually tried this. Atheist #3 on that list -- Adolf Hitler.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Holy Crap!Jennifer Lopez is

Holy Crap!

Jennifer Lopez is a Scientologist????

Bleh!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm getting the

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that nobody actually tried this. Atheist #3 on that list -- Adolf Hitler.

~Sigh~

We were never at war with Eurasia... We were never at war with Eurasia... We were never at war with Eurasia...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kevin R Brown wrote:

[TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

[/TIP OF THE ICEBURG]

Quote:

Yup. there's not a woman in that lineup I wouldn't, with all due respect, pound like a bass drum.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize-winning physicist

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obviously they've never seen

Obviously they've never seen this chick!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Or this one:    

Or this one:

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Her accent's really hot too

Her accent's really hot too btw.