You say God, I say probability

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
You say God, I say probability

Why would God save some people in a plane crash and not others?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/04/16/congo.crash.survivors/index.html

By Jim Kavanagh

(CNN) -- A missionary family from Minnesota is glad to be alive and together after surviving a plane crash in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the father said Wednesday.

Barry and Marybeth Mosier were on their way to visit their son Keith, 24, in Kinsangani, Congo, with two younger children when their plane crashed on takeoff Tuesday in Goma. At least 36 people died as the plane plowed through a market and burned. Most of the people who died were on the ground, according to the U.N. mission in DR Congo.

April Mosier, 14, managed to escape quickly, her father said from Goma.

"April raced ahead, and she got to the front of the plane as one of the first people, I think," said Barry Mosier, 53.

The girl encountered a man who was tearing through an opening in the fuselage, Mosier said.

"He was pulling parts of the plane in or pushing them out, trying to make a hole. And she told him -- she speaks Swahili well -- she said, 'We've got to get a hole in this plane, or we're all going to die.' "

When the hole was big enough, April tried to dive through it. She made it with a push from the man, and other passengers followed, he said.

Meanwhile, Mosier said, he and his wife were carrying their son Andrew, 3, in the shoving "mass of humanity" trying to escape the burning plane. They got out through the opening in the fuselage. The child's leg was broken in the crush of people, but his parents didn't realize it until later.

April became separated from her parents and was whisked away to a hospital, convinced that her family was dead, her father said.

"Outside the plane, she was wandering around. ... It was total chaos," he said. "People were screaming and yelling because the plane had landed on this market. All of a sudden, out of the blue, all of these people who were just standing there are now dead.

"So there's parts of bodies and people burning and people screaming and yelling, and she was out there by herself."

About 25 minutes later, the Mosiers were reunited at the hospital.

"When we saw each other at the hospital, I can tell you, it was a grand reunion," he said.

The Mosiers, who have been Seventh-day Adventist missionaries in Iringa, Tanzania, for eight years, went to the church office in Goma to let Keith and other loved ones -- including two other grown children in the U.S. -- know that they were all right.

While there, someone noticed that Andrew's leg was swollen, and the Mosiers returned to the hospital. They learned that Andrew's femur was broken near the hip, and he is now in a cast that reaches from his toes to his rib cage, Barry Mosier said.

"He doesn't like it very well, as most 3-year-olds wouldn't," Mosier said.

The family will recuperate in Goma for a few days before deciding whether to resume the trip to Kisangani, where Keith Mosier has been a volunteer missionary for two months, Barry Mosier said.

"But flying here is not a popular thing to talk about just now," he said wryly.

Andrew has made up his mind, his father said.

"He says he doesn't want to ride in airplanes anymore," he said.

Marybeth Mosier, 51, suffered a black eye and bruised ribs, said her husband, who added that he was unhurt.

"We couldn't believe that our family of four could all escape a plane that was crashed and on fire, but by God's mercy, we did," he said.

Mosier said he believes the family made it for a reason.

"I think the Lord has a plan for us, otherwise we wouldn't have survived," he said. "He still has work for us to do."

And that work just might be in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

"We actually came here with the idea of seeing if we could move here to Congo, so it's been kind of a rough introduction," Mosier said.

"I think we'll keep praying about that. We know that the safest place in the world to work is where the Lord wants you to work."

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard Gods-Crushing-Weapon Airlines, aviation law requires you to please give the cabin crew your full attention as they run through safety procedures for crashing into market places.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So why didn't God save all

So why didn't God save all the other people on the plane or on the ground? Or how about letting the little kid be ok rather than hurt badly?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd hardly bat an eye at

I'd hardly bat an eye at this sort of thing were the missionaries to do the "thank god all glory to god" bullpoo, but this lot has to go on and say "gawd hays uh playun fer us!"

So, the hundreds that were killed when the plane hit the market must have been excess population, right? Of no consequence?

How can they not see how fucked up that is?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course every christian

Of course every christian that reads this will focus on the few who lived and say god is merciful and good. They always forget about the ones who died in these sitautions.Guess it was too much for god's all powerfulnes to make the plane just not crash?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it funny how this

Isn't it funny how this claimed all powerfull "God's" aim is about as surgical as carpet bombing. If is his aim is that good, I would hate to see God's toilet.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If is his aim

Brian37 wrote:

If is his aim is that good, I would hate to see God's toilet.

Then I suggest you avoid Nashville, Tennessee.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bumper Sticker

"God was my co-pilot, until we crashed in the Rockies, and I had to eat him..."

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.