God does not love your baseball team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
God does not love your baseball team

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP)—Tom Glavine has made 672 starts in the majors. Twice, 19 years apart, he failed to record an out.

The second time came Sunday against the reeling Washington Nationals, when the Atlanta Braves’ 42-year-old lefty departed with a strained right hamstring and was charged with two runs. The reliever who replaced him, Jeff Bennett, walked in two other runs, then hit a batter who scored, too.

Essentially handed a 5-0 lead, the Nationals gave nearly all of that back, then escaped a bases-loaded jam in the top of the ninth to beat the Braves 5-4 and end a nine-game losing streak.

“That’s what it takes,” Nationals manager Manny Acta said, when asked about seeing Glavine leave.

“It’s destiny. You can always go hard in whatever you want to do. The guy above,” Acta said, and paused, pointing skyward. “He’s got the last word.”

emphasis mine.

Apparently, God hates Tom Glavine.  It could be because he supported the players union in the last strike.  I dunno.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
People are genuinely and

People are genuinely and sincerely believe that the omnipotent creator of the universe has intimate concern over their daily lives, or those of others, of the gender of the person with whom you are having sex, or whether your baseball team wins, etc ad infinitum are so phenomenally stupid I at first flatly refused to believe in their sincerity. Even worse, people who said things such as God wants my baseball team to win are so utterly, inexpressably (you see the trouble I am having here) moronic that they must have some sort of mental deficiency.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Even worse, people who

Quote:
Even worse, people who said things such as God wants my baseball team to win are so utterly, inexpressably (you see the trouble I am having here) moronic that they must have some sort of mental deficiency.

I've asked theists about this.  They say, "No... it's not that God wants one team to win.  It's that we do everything to give glory to god.  When we succeed, we owe it all to god.  When we fail, we thank him for giving us an opportunity to learn humility."

Of course, I'm sure there are those who actually think God loves the Yankees.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
*General agreement and

*General agreement and applause*

Like I said in a different thread, it seems the height of arrogance and insensitivity to think god cares about your team when thousands of people are suffering daily. Observe:

Theist 1:"Did you know 40,000 people will die of starvation today?"

Theist 2: "Who cares? Our team just won!"

Both theists:" We serve an awesome god! Glory to his name!"

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"No... it's not that

Quote:

"No... it's not that God wants one team to win.

How could something with perfect precognition want anything, anyway?

Quote:

It's that we do everything to give glory to god

This statement is even more moronic. Try to imagine, if you will, that you are a being which has complete control over absolutely everything in existence. No atom can move without your volition, no action can be commited unless you have guided it. Therefore, it is completely meaningless, once such a being is postulated, to postulate in turn, other agents, yourself included, which can per se commit actions for any purpose other than those forced into being by such a controlling agent! Hence, the phrase "I won" becomes meaningless. You didn't win. The situation was merely one whose outcome was both directed and percieved prior to it's occurance. Hence, the phrase "you lost" becomes equally meaningless. Nor is it possible for you to "learn anything", being that the process of learning, which is ultimately under the control of the formation of neural connections that result from experiental knowledge, is itself under the guidance of that agent which in turn has control over the process of their formation. In fact, you aren't an agent at all. In fact, the being/agent in question already knew all of this was going to occur since his inception, which was never, being that it has always existed, and hence has always, for all time, prior to the creation of the universe, an event in turn requisiting it's volition, has already known the outcome of aforementioned baseball game...and for some very strange reason, the agent in question cares about the aforementioned results and the supposed (but actually impossible) "learning" or "glorification" that may or may not have taken place by these psuedo-agents who constitute an exceptionally small and insignificant portion of what is under it's control.

You can see why I bash my head into the wall repeatedly. What people basically believe is that there is a really powerful person with control over the universe. A person who cares about all of us per se, individually, and our actions, etc. ad infinitum. The personality of the aforementioned agent is that of one of our species, a Homo sapiens. That they refer to this being as if it had a penis is the most obvious testimony to this concept. From a psychological father-figure standpoint, not suprising, but that people continue to cling to it, that is moronic.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Of course,

Hambydammit wrote:

Of course, I'm sure there are those who actually think God loves the Yankees

They'd be wrong. God loves the Angels.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
No God does not any one team

No God does not any one team to win.  God wants individuals to do well.  How else do you explain the continued success of controversial first baseman Todd Helton despite the fact that he plays for the Rockies?

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How else do you

Quote:
How else do you explain the continued success of controversial first baseman Todd Helton despite the fact that he plays for the Rockies?

Curiously, God told me that you were going to jump in here and say something about controversial first baseman Todd Helton.

Books about atheism

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:No God

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

No God does not any one team to win.  God wants individuals to do well.  How else do you explain the continued success of controversial first baseman Todd Helton despite the fact that he plays for the Rockies?

Dude, Angels in the Outfield. Rent it. Todd Helton will come down from the Mile High Haven to Anaheim where he will restore the Glory to the Halo.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:They'd be wrong. God

Quote:
They'd be wrong. God loves the Angels.

Clearly, these are fallen angels.  God doesn't love fallen angels.

Anyway, God hates California because they always go blue in elections. 

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Anyway, God hates

Quote:

Out of the states I just recently drove through, California had the highest "Jesus sign density". Granted, it was not a high sign density, but higher than in Oregon or Washington.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Out of the states I

Quote:
Out of the states I just recently drove through, California had the highest "Jesus sign density". Granted, it was not a high sign density, but higher than in Oregon or Washington.

I didn't know you were in America recently.  In any case, you clearly didn't drive through Alabama.

Books about atheism

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Clearly,

Hambydammit wrote:

Clearly, these are fallen angels.  God doesn't love fallen angels.

God loves all angels, especially the fallen ones. They make the game fun to play.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:DamnDirtyApe

1-24 wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Dude, Angels in the Outfield. Rent it. Todd Helton will come down from the Mile High Haven to Anaheim where he will restore the Glory to the Halo.

Sounds like you're speaking as if controversial first baseman Todd Helton were the Christ himself.  Which...yep, I could go for that.  He iscontroversial.  And Jesus was controversial.  But he plays first base, which is position number 3...so does that make him the holy spirit instead?  I'm confused already.  And also very glad I haven't denied controversial first baseman Todd Helton.  All those Blasphemy Challenge DVDs are gonna have to come back if that's the case.  I don't think any of the youtube videos referenced (all together now) controversial first baseman Todd Helton !

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read the Bible, God does love your team!

Opening Day
Genesis.

BY GLENN BIRKEMEIER

- - - -

In the big inning, God created Heaven on Earth. And it was without form, and void. God separated the dirt from the grass. He called the grass Outfield and the dirt He called Infield. God made the Infield a 90-foot square and the Outfield not less than 400 feet to center and 320 feet down the lines. He declared this Fair Territory. All other territory, God then declared, was Foul.

And God divided the players into two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, to play The Game on His field. God called some of these players Pitchers and some of them Hitters. He placed a Pitcher precisely 60 feet 6 inches from a Hitter. Then God commanded that it's one, two, three strikes you're out at the ol' Ballgame.

And God granted jurisdiction of The Game to lesser Gods, whom He called Umpires. God said the Umpires are infallible, blessed with Heavenly authority, whose judgment is not to be questioned under penalty of expulsion from The Game. And God looked at his creation and He was pleased. Then God created the Infield Fly Rule to confuse nonbelievers.

And God said, Let there be light beer, and there was. And, God said, let there be peanuts and hot dogs and overpriced souvenirs and let there be frosty chocolate malts with little wooden spoons that you can buy nowhere else except at this Heaven, which God called a Ballpark, and there was. God looked at His creation and it was good.

And the Lord God formed, from the dust, a collection of elite players in His own image. The Lord God then breathed the breath of life into His creation. God called this creation the National League.

And God said, It is not good for the National League to be alone. The Lord God shall make it a mate. And thus, while the National League slept, God took several of its top players and created the American League.

And God blessed The Game, saying, Be fruitful and multiply. Put teams in every city with deserving fans, God added, even if this occurs at the expense of starting-pitching depth.

From time to time, God understood, The Game would be corrupted by the Serpent. The Serpent was more cunning than any other beast and he would take many wicked forms: the Black Sox, segregation, the Designated Hitter, the Reserve Clause, dead balls, juiced balls, spit balls, corked bats, George Steinbrenner, AstroTurf, the 1981 strike, collusion, lockouts, Pete Rose, the 1994 strike, greenies, cocaine, HGH, Andro, steroids, $20 parking, corporate mallparks, Scott Boras, Donald Fehr, and Bud Selig.

But, God said, the goodness in The Game shall always prevail. As needed, the Lord shall bestow upon The Game a Savior. And the Savior, like the Serpent, can take many forms. The Savior shall remind Fans how blessed The Game truly is. The Savior shall be called by many names, including Cy, Matty, Honus, Big Train, the Babe, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Lou Gehrig, Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson, Buck O'Neil, Hank Greenberg, Red Barber, Harry Carey, Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Satchel Paige, Bill Veeck, Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Hammerin' Hank, Cool Papa, Dizzy, Lefty, Whitey, Stan the Man, Big Klu, the Say Hey Kid, Campy, Duke, the Mick, the Splendid Splinter, the Gas House Gang, the Big Red Machine, the Damn Yankees, Pudge Fisk, Pudge Rodriguez, Yaz, Pops, the Wizard of Oz, Fernando, George Brett, Moonlight Graham, Roy Hobbs, Wild Thing Vaughn, Bingo Long, the Ryan Express, Donnie Baseball, Rickey, Eck, the Big Unit, the Cactus League, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Camden Yards, Rotisserie Drafts, Web Gems, Derek Jeter, Dontrelle Willis, Vlad Guerrero, and, from the Far East, Ichiro. And, God guaranteed, there are many more to come.

God looked upon His creation and He was very pleased. And God spoke, yelling, PLAY BALL!

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:1-24

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Sounds like you're speaking as if controversial first baseman Todd Helton were the Christ himself.  Which...yep, I could go for that.  He iscontroversial.  And Jesus was controversial.  But he plays first base, which is position number 3...so does that make him the holy spirit instead?  I'm confused already.  And also very glad I haven't denied controversial first baseman Todd Helton.  All those Blasphemy Challenge DVDs are gonna have to come back if that's the case.  I don't think any of the youtube videos referenced (all together now) controversial first baseman Todd Helton !

Not that I think this needs to be said or anything, but I'm not really for the parody of the Bible. I only said that about Todd Helton because atheists seem to get a kick out of that sort of talk - since the Bible is superficial to them. But what's the controversy over Todd Helton?

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:1-24

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
exe by way of Glenn Birkmeier

Now Thats my kind of of bible ,   all hail the Blue Jays, eh?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, this reminds me of

You know, this reminds me of my highschool days as a cheerleader. I went to a private Christian school, and we belonged to a league of other private Christian schools. We'd all pray before the game for God to enable each player to play to the best of their ability. Yet one team would always prevail other the other - usually us, cuz we had some damn good basketball players. Was it because we glorified God more? Was it because God liked us better? Was it because we were the best cheer squad in the league and we motivated the players? On top of it, our girls' team actually made it downstate my sophomore year, but ended up being defeated by a public school - shouldn't "God's chosen school" have been victorious cuz we had God on our side? It always confused me, standing there on the sidelines. I could never work out a model for divine intervention in regard to sports events.

At any rate, God certainly doesn't love my baseball team - the Cubs.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd love to see in a

I'd love to see in a postgame interview the quarterback or MVP of the team that wins the superbowl (or the MVP of a team in any sports championship) "come out" as an atheist and make a speech lik Kathy Griffin did. I'm still reminded of the comedian who brought up athletes thanking God - how you never see a player on the losing team say "I was doing great until motherfucking Jesus made me drop the ball!"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
God hates all baseball

God hates all baseball teams.

Why do you think he takes away the sight of the umpires?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Even

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Even worse, people who said things such as God wants my baseball team to win are so utterly, inexpressably (you see the trouble I am having here) moronic that they must have some sort of mental deficiency.

I've asked theists about this.  They say, "No... it's not that God wants one team to win.  It's that we do everything to give glory to god.  When we succeed, we owe it all to god.  When we fail, we thank him for giving us an opportunity to learn humility."

Of course, I'm sure there are those who actually think God loves the Yankees.

I don't know.  26 World Series titles and 39 pennants make an awfully compelling case. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:You

greek goddess wrote:

You know, this reminds me of my highschool days as a cheerleader.

I don't suppose you still have your cheerleader outfit do you?

Well someone was going to say it...

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:When we succeed, we

Quote:
When we succeed, we owe it all to god.  When we fail, we thank him for giving us an opportunity to learn humility.

Translation: I refuse to be responsible for the outcomes in my life.

You'll note that these sort of claims tend to be a recurring trend among theists.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I don't suppose you

Quote:

When you go to Hell for coveting GreekGoddess, Watcher, I just want you to know that - in the event we share the same boat / spaceship / TBM / Magical Schoolbus for Sinners headed destined for the horrible Lake of Fire - I volunteer to be your wingman on the way there.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:When you

Kevin R Brown wrote:

When you go to Hell for coveting GreekGoddess, Watcher, I just want you to know that - in the event we share the same boat / spaceship / TBM / Magical Schoolbus for Sinners headed destined for the horrible Lake of Fire - I volunteer to be your wingman on the way there.

LOL  You just made my short list of friends with that commitment.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I don't

Watcher wrote:

Haha, unfortunately, I had to hand it over to the school when I graduated. You were gonna ask for pictures, weren't you...

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Haha,

greek goddess wrote:

Haha, unfortunately, I had to hand it over to the school when I graduated. You were gonna ask for pictures, weren't you...

*sniff*  I do not deny my animal nature.

Do you have any pics?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's not that hard to rent

It's not that hard to rent or buy a cheerleader outfit somewhere. Or post nakee pics!

I'm so bad.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:At any

greek goddess wrote:

At any rate, God certainly doesn't love my baseball team - the Cubs.

Well he hates my hole city - Cleveland. Exactly zero world championships in my lifetime.

But it's OK. Because if Jesus and Yahweh or Muhammad and Allah send me to Hell, at least I'm already acclimated having lived in sports fan Hell.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You know, this reminds

Quote:
You know, this reminds me of my highschool days as a cheerleader.

Thank you.  That's all I wanted to say.

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
To add to this type of

To add to this type of stupidity, did you guys hear about the baseball fan who buried a Red Sox jersey in the cement of the New NY Yankees  stadium?

Ok, the guy did it to "jinx" the Yankees team. That is stupid enough. BUT, IT IS JUST A FUCKING SHIRT, the owner PAID TO HAVE IT DUG UP, BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO RISK THE JINX. AND IS FILING CHARGES AGAINST THE GUY WHO DID IT!

The Yankees team in it's history has won the most championships and this moron needs rabbit's feet and garlic to ward off bad luck? WHAT A FUCKING WASTE OF MONEY AND WHAT A MORON!

WHAT THE FUCK!

Why am I even surprised?

It is just like when some moron paid 200,000 dollars for a stupid baseball that a fan tried to catch that cost the cubs the playoff game, then they blew the ball up!

YOU ARE ALL FUCKING SUPERSTITIOUS IDIOTS!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:I don't know.  26

jmm wrote:
I don't know.  26 World Series titles and 39 pennants make an awfully compelling case.

Nah... you're getting it all wrong.  In all the stories, if you think god is giving you all this great stuff, it's really satan, and you're about to open the ninth gate of hell, or some nonsense like that.  Therefore, the Yankees are actually Satan's favorite team.

I think Benjamin Franklin was onto something when he said "Beer is proof that there is a god and that he loves us."  With that in mind, the only logical choice for God's favorite baseball team would be the Cardinals.  Hello!  Busch Stadium?  Home of the Budweiser megalo-beer-industry?  Not only that, but the Cardinals are second in World Series victories with ten.  Unlike the Yankees, they don't have all the glitz and glamour.  They are just hard working midwestern folk, tilling the earth as god intended.  None of that big city hedonism for the Cardinals.  No, sir.

Just playing God's favorite game the way God intended.

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:You

greek goddess wrote:

You know, this reminds me of my highschool days as a cheerleader. I went to a private Christian school, and we belonged to a league of other private Christian schools. We'd all pray before the game for God to enable each player to play to the best of their ability. Yet one team would always prevail other the other - usually us, cuz we had some damn good basketball players. Was it because we glorified God more? Was it because God liked us better? Was it because we were the best cheer squad in the league and we motivated the players? On top of it, our girls' team actually made it downstate my sophomore year, but ended up being defeated by a public school - shouldn't "God's chosen school" have been victorious cuz we had God on our side? It always confused me, standing there on the sidelines. I could never work out a model for divine intervention in regard to sports events.

Haha I can relate here. We only ever played other christian schools in sport. It must get tough for god when two teams of his children are asking for help.Guess however had the least amount of naughty thoughts in the last week wins?

I will say without shame that the only sport I did was chess.And even after I became atheist I beat a lot of christians.How does that work?!

Also,post pics:bandwagon:

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:jmm

Hambydammit wrote:

jmm wrote:

Nah... you're getting it all wrong.  In all the stories, if you think god is giving you all this great stuff, it's really satan, and you're about to open the ninth gate of hell, or some nonsense like that.  Therefore, the Yankees are actually Satan's favorite team.

I think Benjamin Franklin was onto something when he said "Beer is proof that there is a god and that he loves us."  With that in mind, the only logical choice for God's favorite baseball team would be the Cardinals.  Hello!  Busch Stadium?  Home of the Budweiser megalo-beer-industry?  Not only that, but the Cardinals are second in World Series victories with ten.  Unlike the Yankees, they don't have all the glitz and glamour.  They are just hard working midwestern folk, tilling the earth as god intended.  None of that big city hedonism for the Cardinals.  No, sir.

Just playing God's favorite game the way God intended.

True, but you also have Miller Park in Milwaukee and Coors Field in Denver.  Budweiser and Miller at least produce marginally drinkable products, whereas Coors produces piss water.  That would account for the Rockies' going on an unprecedented tear on October only to be swept by the fucking Red Sox in the series.  I can't think of a better way for God to say "Rot in hell, Adolph Coors, until your company produces a drinkable beverage."  It's a shame that one corporation is forced to atone for the sins of another. 

The Lord works in mysterious ways. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:True, but you also

Quote:
True, but you also have Miller Park in Milwaukee and Coors Field in Denver.

That's like saying, "Yeah, but what about Joseph Smith?"

Busch Stadium.  Originally Sportsman's Park, it's history goes back to the 1880s.  I mean, look at it this way.  The Cubs are a traditional rival for the Cardinals, and what did Harry Carey drink?  Budweiser.

Look, you know that the God portrayed in the Bible is so much bollocks, and whatever you believe in, it's at least a little more sophisticated than that petulant child of a god.  Baseball and gods are not so different.  For the weak in spirit, there's Coors Field.  Those are the equivalents of Fundamentalists.  They wouldn't know good baseball from bad ice hockey.  As you move up the ladder of intelligence, you get to the Milwaukee fans, and finally to the enlightened St. Louis faithful, who have always known that the true spirit of baseball is small ball and run manufacturing.  Like I said, Baseball the way God intended it.

Having said that, I admit my theory is a little flawed.  I'm not sure where the atheist fits into all of this.  All things considered, I'd rather have a Peroni than a Budweiser, and they don't even have baseball in Italy.  Clearly, I'm operating on a different plane of Imbibination, but for some reason, I can't stop watching baseball, and the Cardinals have always been my favorite team.  I think the emotional appeal is overriding my better judgement.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Cardinals have always been

Cardinals have always been my favorite, too.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
My great uncle claimed to

My great uncle claimed to have played semi-pro ball with Stan Musial.  Still not sure if I believed him, though.