The Right to Breed.

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Right to Breed.

I would like to know the community’s stance on everyone having the right to breed.  Does it scare anyone else that people with below average IQs have on average 5 kids while people with high IQs on average only have 1.5? Let’s not sweat the exact details but dumber people have more kids then smarter people, is the point.  Could the movie Idiocracy be true about what it predicts the future will be?  If you think some people shouldn’t breed then who; dumb people, convicted felons, people with negative genetic deformities or uneducated people?  Should we just wait until we have the power to alter our own DNA, but if you alter your own DNA does that still make you you. We are going to run out of space it’s already happened n several countries.

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm looks like I should have

Hmm looks like I should have previewed this post...fuck I can't edit that crap away I don't know where it's coming from.

[MOD EDIT: Corrected HTML runaway code.  Huge space gaps are all gone now. Smiling]

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think limiting the number

I think limiting the number of kids a person can have is a good idea -  better would be for the government to provide free sterilization to anyone who wants it (maybe a cash bonus for welfare recipients to accept it?) The 3rd world really needs something like this - I mean, birth control isn't as available there, and without cable, DVD's, the internet, etc there really isn't much besides fucking to do there. Maybe provide extra tax incentives for having a kid for scientists and such. Also, reducing or even eliminating the child tax credit for most people might help (starting with kids born at least 9 months after the law is passed - any before that get the old credits.) Not increasing welfare for having more kids would be a good idea, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eugenics

This seems to be another eugenics question. The movie Idiocracy deals with exactly what you have described in a satirical, ultra-hyperbole fashion. The average IQ of people on Earth has significantly decreased because the idiots outbred all of the smart people.

This is a complex question which begs an answer that is not hypothetical(and fun to pontificate about), but an answer that is a real world solution. Exponential human population growth if left unchecked will exceed the carrying capacity of Earth. Some places are more effected than others by birth and death rates, but it is a global issue. I would say we are now reaching the point where nations must take a serious look at the projected population growth of their country, their projected resources, and other relating issues that will necessitate a comprehensive plan that might entail a diminished freedom of breeding rights.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoa there

Using the country I grew up in as an example;

The vast majority of Zimbabweans live in the rural areas. If they are not employed by commercial farmers (precious few are now) they are, for the most part, subsistence farmers who can not afford to employ labourers of their own. The only pool of labour available to them is their children. The more kids they have, the more hands there are to work the land. The flipside to that coin is that the more kids there are, the more mouths there are to feed.

What mitigates this to a large extent right now is life expectancy. Average life expectancy in Zimbabwe is the lowest in the world at 35 for men and 32 for women, AIDS being the biggest contributor to that mortality, but even before the shit hit the fan over there and AIDS was not as prevalent, life expectancy was in the mid 50's, so considerably lower than retirement.

Of course, nobody plans to die young, and if you have a lot of kids that survive in rural Zimbabwe, you can be assured that when you do get too old to work in the fields, your kids and grandkids will look after you. It is part of the reason we are taught to venerate our elders.

And overcrowded cities in most of the third world is down to urban migration as people do a Whittington & go to the big city to find their fortunes/a better life.

That model exists in countries & cultures as diverse as India, Vietnam and Brazil, indeed it is the very model the welfare state is built upon.

The same balance between contributors of working age and retirees exixsts in countries where life expectancy exceeds retirement age. Where it gets fucked up is when you have a situation like the one we have right now, where baby boomers are retiring, and far from all of them have private pensions or adequate savings for that retirement, leading to big holes in various state and private pension schemes.

Birth rates in the developed world have been on the decline for a significant chunk of time. Part of a welfare state's function is to support the retired who can not afford to keep themselves, and unless there are sufficient contributors to that welfare state, it can not afford to maintain the elderly in its care. Hence tax breaks/credits for people who have kids.

What further fucks this up is people who can work & can contribute, but don't because they can't be arsed to, and because they know they'll be guaranteed a cheque and a roof over their heads come what may.

Having said all of that, this situation is symptomatic of our unsustainable population growth. If previous generations had forseen this, we may well have come up with the solution before the problem manifested. However, the answer is not in preventing people from breeding either by force or incentive. Frankly, I find the idea that we might apply that within the context of a person's intelligence abhorrent and would cry Godwin if I didn't think it were a cop-out in this instance.

The answer lies in education. A third world country with a well-educated population stands a far better chance of developing out of simple survival mode into a state whose population have the luxury of being able to focus their consciousness on the global whole and base their decisions on that. Zimbabwe has this potential, it just needs a series of fuckstick removals.

A first world population that is taught to do the same will be better able to elect leaders to represent that.

**Disclaimer - this all makes sense to me after about half a bottle of Bushmills.

Stop that... It's silly.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vesha wrote: Normal 0

Vesha wrote:

I would like to know the community’s stance on everyone having the right to breed.  Does it scare anyone else that people with below average IQs have on average 5 kids while people with high IQs on average only have 1.5? Let’s not sweat the exact details but dumber people have more kids then smarter people, is the point.  Could the movie Idiocracy be true about what it predicts the future will be?  If you think some people shouldn’t breed then who; dumb people, convicted felons, people with negative genetic deformities or uneducated people?  Should we just wait until we have the power to alter our own DNA, but if you alter your own DNA does that still make you you. We are going to run out of space it’s already happened n several countries.

All people should have the right to have as many kids as they want. Anything else would be barbaric, horrible and orwellian. Leave eugenics in the past with Hitler and Mao and move forward with genetic engineering.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:Vesha

theotherguy wrote:

Vesha wrote:

All people should have the right to have as many kids as they want. Anything else would be barbaric, horrible and orwellian. Leave eugenics in the past with Hitler and Mao and move forward with genetic engineering.

Oh piss off with your stupid "Hitler and Mao" bull shit.  Eugenics does not equal genocide.  It was practiced in the UNITED STATES years before WW 2 and continued afterward as well.  It was practiced by western style democracies and has nothing to do with your totalitarian examples.  Please spare us your Chicken Little, the sky is falling, alarmist crap.  

Try educating yourself about this topic before you spout your oversimplified, comic-book version, nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics#Eugenics_and_the_United_States.2C_1890s.E2.80.931945

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
All relationships need to be

All relationships need to be contracts. There are no God given rights or God ordained morality standards. There are only rights and obligations to live up to the terms of your contract.

If you are a member of society, you and your children use the land and other natural resources to live. Society may provide you with education and other social benefits. So since you must you the resource of society to live, you are obligated to be a law abiding, contributor to society. You should pay for the resources you use. So the only people that should be allowed to have children are those who are non-criminal net contributors. Anyone else is a cancer on society. If you don't stop the cancer from growing it tears down the whole society.

Here's a way to get people to voluntarily sterilize themselves. Tell them if you don't work, get an education, pay taxes at an adequate level, you don't have the right to use the resources like food unless you sterilize yourself. You card people just like liquor to buy food. You require churches/charities to only help sterilized poor. Most people will voluntarily choose sterilization over starvation. But the sterilization needs to be temporary or reversible.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote: Leave

theotherguy wrote:

Leave eugenics in the past with Hitler and Mao and move forward with genetic engineering.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vesha wrote:I would like to

Vesha wrote:

I'm always interested in evolution and population trends.  It's an unecessary worry you have.  This is rather like an Urban myth in some respects.

Yes, us humans are too populous to survive without modern civilization.  I agree.  However the details and different aspects to consider are greatly varied.

1) Advanced countries have not only ceased increasing in population but are actually in decline.  This is most pronounced in Japan.  The US is still increasing in population size.  However, this is only because of the large scale of immigration (both legal and illegal) and the large family sizes that occur from those immigrants.  If the US really closed it's borders, our numbers would start to shrink.  This is common throughout the modern world.  From current trends it looks like the numbers of humans will peak out at around 10 billion around 2050 and then start to shrink.  We will reach equilibrium here.  That's an established reality despite the alarmist predictions that were occuring in the 90's.

2) This I'm starting to find humorous.  The same people say on one hand that we should cull off bad genetic traits (I.E. traits that cannot survive in humans without modern help) but on the other hand bitch about there being too many humans.  Well...if civilization does collapse the number one thing we would want to happen is for a lot of humans to die off.  And preferably without being deliberately murdered.  Obviously 6-10 billion humans cannot be supported by our planet without modern civilization.   If all of us are completely healthy enough to live without modern civilization we will be killing each other in a grim battle.  As it is, a large segment of us will die simply because they won't have access to modern technology without any need for us to actually kill one another.  That would actually be beneficial to us as a species in that eventuality.

3) The idea that because people of lower IQs have more children will overall make us Homo Sapiens less intelligent is simply not true.  A more common myth along these lines is one that states that within a century or two there will not be any more blondes because the trait is being bred out.  Gene selection doesn't work that way.  A comparison study is closely tied to blue eyes.  For some odd reason the trait that selects for blue eyes in some way conveys an attribute to humans that actually increases the occurence of blue eyes.  This is despite the fact that blue eyes are a recessive gene.  Experts don't have a clue why yet, but it seems to be true.  This is occuring in the face of the fact that blue eyed people are a very tiny minority so far.

Humans have actually increased their brain size by roughly 10% over the last 8 thousand years.  Autism is becoming more and more prevalent.  Autism happens to people that are "too smart" having children with each other it seems so far.  It is strongly suspected that Einstein, the most intelligent person commonly known to the public, had a spectrum of autism.  If the movie Idiocracy (hilarious movie BTW) was correct we should be seeing a decrease in Autism, not massive growth.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Dalbert342
Dalbert342's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well,I think that we need

Well,I think that we need some sort of law against overpopulation.The truth is,there are too many humans on the planet...and most of humanity lives in poor areas...so,when you don't have money,make baby's...or so it would seem.

Now,the big problem is that if someone was to introduce a breeding law[in lack of better word],that would be considered unconstitutional and illegal.But need is mother of all inventions.

Eugenics is not the answer,what is the answer is population control...here in Canada or the States we don't have a population problem yet but we might have one in near future...if current trends continue.

HA!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The average IQ of

Quote:
The average IQ of people on Earth has significantly decreased because the idiots outbred all of the smart people.

Pssst... average IQ is always 100.  The mean IQ can change.  Not the average.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:The

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
The average IQ of people on Earth has significantly decreased because the idiots outbred all of the smart people.

Pssst... average IQ is always 100.  The mean IQ can change.  Not the average.

Not quite true - "average" can mean mean, median or mode. Most people by average mean the mean. "Median" is the exat middle of all values, while "mode" is the most commonly occuring value (and the least often meant by "average&quotEye-wink In fact, in most math classes mean actually is taught as "average" - the others are only introduced in statistics classes.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I'm always

Watcher wrote:

I'm always interested in evolution and population trends.  It's an unecessary worry you have.  This is rather like an Urban myth in some respects.

[paragraphs of Watcher owning the topic]

Watcher, thank you for that post.

I honestly can't get eugenics as a program at all, since it smacks of centralized control. In economic and social terms, communism failed as a program because of its attempt at total centralized control. All that does is create black markets. Eugenics would be expensive and emotionally taxing to administer. If that isn't enough, it has no real rational basis.

One tiny thing, though. The reason the earth can currently support so many people is Green Revolution methods of farming. Basically using oil and methane to produce greatly increased yields. When the oil and methane start to become prohibitively expensive, you'll have your reduced population.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
We really need population

We really need population control. Government should decide how much should be born every year.

For example: Where I live, there is negative birth rate. Also majority of people are either young or old. Lots of them are not capable of working and supporting country's economy. So we need to increase our population.

So I guess it would be something like this:

All the couples who want to have a child should enter a sort of contest. Every couple gets credits for health, intelligence, wealth and so on. And then the top couples gets the right to conceive.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote: Leave

theotherguy wrote:

Leave eugenics in the past with Hitler and Mao and move forward with genetic engineering.

The only one who kills more than Hitler is God. If one want to make the Hitlerums argument here, one should say it would be worse than God.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:We really need

Fanas wrote:

We really need population control. Government should decide how much should be born every year.

How much more control over your life do you think the government should have? How many born every year? Just randomly selected numbers? Do you know how expensive it would be to maintain a Department of Procreation?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: I

HisWillness wrote:

I honestly can't get eugenics as a program at all, since it smacks of centralized control.

Perhaps I'm misreading you Will but what program of the Federal Government doesn't smack of centralized control ?  For example, if I refused to pay my income taxes the governing body that would soon sweep me within it's grasp is the Internal Revenue Service which, with its nationwide jurisdiction, qualifies as an example of centralized control ....doesn't it ?

In the US where I live the Federal Government itself is the very definition of centralized control. I'm not aware of any modern nation, ( democratic or otherwise ) that does not implement a form of centralized control regarding any of its legal policies as they are applied to its citizens.

Also, my personal view of eugenics would be for it to simply be an agency to discourage the perpetuation of significantly destructive medical conditions.  These would fall within both physical and mental capacities.

Conditions that are genetic in origin, and are thus preventable, and which possess serious debilitating aspects, ( ie, schizophrenia, cystic fibrosis, etc ) would be the targets of such a program.  The goal would be to interrupt the process  ( ie procreation ) that so far ensures that these diseases will never pass away.

It would not require the termination of any already living individuals.  It most definitely would terminate their ability to procreate ( sterilization ) but would otherwise not prevent them from engaging in any other activities that they saw fit.  If they still crave parenthood then let them adopt a child.

My own situation with my mental health issues would have been positively resolved if my parents would have simply examined their own genetic history, seen the likelyhood of producing such a child as myself, and refused to procreate.   As for myself ( a would-be "victim" of negative eugenics ) I would never have regretted the loss of my personal existence.

Lastly, for my purposes eugenics has nothing at all to do with population control and is a seperate issue altogether..  Reducing the number of human births is not contingent upon an individual's medical status as a world filled with billions of humans with picture-perfect health is still a world with too many people.

Cheers.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess I'm really quite a

I guess I'm really quite a pessimist when it comes to this sort of thing.  It's my opinion that there is nothing that can be done to stop humanity from devastating the planet with overpopulation.  Our incredible adaptability and omnivorous diet, coupled with our long lifetimes and incredibly low infant mortality rate virtually ensure that we're going to continue our habit of driving our food sources extinct.  The current thinking, by the way, is that it's virtually certain that early humans drove the mammoth extinct.  We've been at this a long time.

I'm not alone in this opinion.  I count many scientists among my friends, and away from the classroom, many of them readily admit that they believe the damage we're doing is irreversible, or might as well be, given the likelihood of humans making a concerted and global effort to reduce our population and consumption.

As for rights, it's my opinion that rights only exist if you have them.  In other words, we can dicker about the philosophy of innate rights for months, and we'll always get around to a stalemate, where the reality is that philosophy is only good if you have permission to talk about it.  In other words, if you're born into an oppressive society, you can believe you have rights as long as you want, but you don't.

I've said before that I'm not just pro-choice.  I'm pro-abortion.  I believe that if you don't want a baby, the only responsible thing to do is have an abortion.  I also believe that every single anti-abortion activist ought to put their actions where their piety is, and adopt a baby from a girl who wanted an abortion but was talked out of it by religious nut jobs.  I'm not sure there are enough activists to go around, so they'll probably have to adopt two or three apiece.  Oh, and this doesn't count the number of young children in foster homes who might never get adopted, or the babies born to women who wanted them, but had them taken away.

If legislation was put on the table to restrict the right to have children, I'd have to know specifically what it was before saying whether I'd support it or not.  I don't think this will happen in America, so it's pretty much a moot point.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I guess I'm really

Quote:
I guess I'm really quite a pessimist when it comes to this sort of thing.  It's my opinion that there is nothing that can be done to stop humanity from devastating the planet with overpopulation.

Thus my own personal insistence that we have to get very serious about planetary exploration (the kind discussed by people like Carl Sagan) and continue to fund SETI. Most people simply laugh at these concepts, but it's hardly a joke that the Earth is going to become awfully tight living quarters - and two homes are harder to outgrow than one.

The Drake Equation shoud serve as a somewhat ominous reminder of what traditionally happens to any intelligent life that develops / has developed in our galaxy. It's died out well before we had a chance to meet them, or even find any evidence of them. There should be plenty of Earth-like bodies around the Milky Way, and some should be vastly older than Earth. Yet anywhere we look, listen or try screaming into, we're only met with silence and cold darkness. Where are the planetary explorers and colonizers that should be abundant, loud and rather easy to bump into, assuming advancing civilizations flourish rather than fail, shrivel and die?

I do hope somebody is out there, somewhere, so that some day we can point and - with that ver human spirit - say, "Look at what those sonsofbitches can do! Well, you know what? I bet wecan do it better!", but the evidence grows at odds with the notion, and sometimes I find myself very worried that Earth will be a barren body - victim to whatever of a million possible demises - well before anyone decides that it's time to abandon our wasteful economies or lead an initiative to start navigating the void for a new place of residence.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Again, I fall on the side of

Again, I fall on the side of pessimism.  It's not that I don't think there are intelligent lifeforms or earthlike planets on which humans *could* live.  It's that we don't just need earth-like.  We need a LOT like earth. 

Consider:  Imagining that we have an incredibly advanced method of space travel that includes enough fuel and life support to travel at near light speed to the nearest earth-like planet, we are still faced with several monstrously big problems.

1) With no magnetic field, we would die from radiation long before reaching our target.

2) Generating an earth-strength magnetic field on a spaceship light enough to leave earth orbit and travel near light speed?  Another huge hurdle, if it's at all possible.

3) Space dust at those speeds would be lethal, no matter what the ship was made out of.

4) Zero gravity would kill us long before reaching our destination.

5) No matter how good our telescopes are, we're going to be dealing with a planet that will be a LONG way away.  At best, we'll know within some very wide parameters, what it's possibly like.  If we get there and it's a hundred degrees too hot, we're fucked.

6) Space travel would not be like on Star Trek.  In order to reach Jupiter, we need a specific launch window that allows us the proper trajectory, and we need to know literally all the significant variables... any object with gravity in our path.  For an object so far away as another earth-like planet, we could not know all the details before leaving, and even if we did, our next launch window might not be for centuries.

7) At best, we could send a few people at a time.  The cost of doing this would be staggering.  The chance of disease, accident, or other catastrophe would be huge.  How would we transport large industrial machines to build large shelters?  Where would the very heavy materials come from?  Who would do the work?  What if we get there and there is life, but it is poisonous to us?  Do we kill everything to make it habitable for us?  It's Europe invading America all over.

Yeah, yeah.  I know we're working on wormholes.  From what I understand, even if it is theoretically possible to create a stable one across vast distances, the energy requirements for moving a few molecules from one place to another would be staggering.  I can't imagine where we'd get enough energy to 1) put a spaceship into space, 2) generate that kind of energy on board the spaceship, 3) have enough data to be able to accurately predict the other side of the wormhole, 4) have enough energy to do it all again to get back to earth and tell people what we found.

I'm afraid that unless we find some way to get to Mars or a moon in the outer solar system and somehow terraform it (highly unlikely!) we're stuck with what we've got.

Books about atheism

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Again, I

Hambydammit wrote:

Again, I fall on the side of pessimism.  It's not that I don't think there are intelligent lifeforms or earthlike planets on which humans *could* live.  It's that we don't just need earth-like.  We need a LOT like earth. 

Consider:  Imagining that we have an incredibly advanced method of space travel that includes enough fuel and life support to travel at near light speed to the nearest earth-like planet, we are still faced with several monstrously big problems.

1) With no magnetic field, we would die from radiation long before reaching our target.

2) Generating an earth-strength magnetic field on a spaceship light enough to leave earth orbit and travel near light speed?  Another huge hurdle, if it's at all possible.

3) Space dust at those speeds would be lethal, no matter what the ship was made out of.

5) No matter how good our telescopes are, we're going to be dealing with a planet that will be a LONG way away.  At best, we'll know within some very wide parameters, what it's possibly like.  If we get there and it's a hundred degrees too hot, we're fucked.

6) Space travel would not be like on Star Trek.  In order to reach Jupiter, we need a specific launch window that allows us the proper trajectory, and we need to know literally all the significant variables... any object with gravity in our path.  For an object so far away as another earth-like planet, we could not know all the details before leaving, and even if we did, our next launch window might not be for centuries.

7) At best, we could send a few people at a time.  The cost of doing this would be staggering.  The chance of disease, accident, or other catastrophe would be huge.  How would we transport large industrial machines to build large shelters?  Where would the very heavy materials come from?  Who would do the work?  What if we get there and there is life, but it is poisonous to us?  Do we kill everything to make it habitable for us?  It's Europe invading America all over.

Yeah, yeah.  I know we're working on wormholes.  From what I understand, even if it is theoretically possible to create a stable one across vast distances, the energy requirements for moving a few molecules from one place to another would be staggering.  I can't imagine where we'd get enough energy to 1) put a spaceship into space, 2) generate that kind of energy on board the spaceship, 3) have enough data to be able to accurately predict the other side of the wormhole, 4) have enough energy to do it all again to get back to earth and tell people what we found.

I'm afraid that unless we find some way to get to Mars or a moon in the outer solar system and somehow terraform it (highly unlikely!) we're stuck with what we've got.

The problem with your arguments is that they are made according to current technology. I really don't think that we are going to reach another solar system (especcialy with earth-like planets) in this millennium. But terraforming mars is possible rather soon.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The problem with your

Quote:
The problem with your arguments is that they are made according to current technology.

Actually, I'm arguing from physics.  It's not technology so much as physical limitations.  No matter how good your technology is, for instance, you can't violate physical limitations of matter and energy.  To get off the earth, you need a certain amount of energy.  To get to near light speed, you need a certain amount of energy.  To get energy from matter, you need a certain amount of energy.

Quote:
I really don't think that we are going to reach another solar system (especcialy with earth-like planets) in this millennium. But terraforming mars is possible rather soon.

Terraforming Mars is certainly the most possible scenario, but I don't know that I'd say we can do it rather soon.  Payloads are going to have to go up significantly, which means a dramatic upgrade in propulsion systems, not just ion drives.

Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
In 1868 it was predicted

In 1868 it was predicted according to the then known parameters that, by 1968, the entire city of London would be under six feet of horse shit.

This prompted a debate conducted in the letters columns of The Times regarding what could be done about avoiding such a fate. The projected population increase (of humans) was rightly held to be unsustainable and, like some of the posters above, it was noted that it was the poor and the mentally inadequate (often confused as the same people, even today) who were largely responsible for this. Enforced celibacy and surgery if necessary was advocated by some, which then begged the question - who would enforce the system?

When several (and it must be said mostly religiously inclined) contributors offered the facilities of their organisations to both administer and police this rather basic form of eugenics the debate took a terminal turn. Reason prevailed, and the bulk of the letters still addressing the theme expressed more distaste with the notion of a few religious nutcases being entrusted with such power than any potential disaster relating to population levels, the exponential growth in horse use and the resultant equine defacation prediction.

Time have changed, I see.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

I honestly can't get eugenics as a program at all, since it smacks of centralized control.

Perhaps I'm misreading you Will but what program of the Federal Government doesn't smack of centralized control ?  For example, if I refused to pay my income taxes the governing body that would soon sweep me within it's grasp is the Internal Revenue Service which, with its nationwide jurisdiction, qualifies as an example of centralized control ....doesn't it ?

It sure does.

When I worked for the Province of Ontario, in finance, at one point I was in a group that calculated subsidies for different municipalities. The methods for calculating those subsidies had remained arbitrary (and I mean completely arbitrary) for years. Changes made later to the system decreased how arbitrary the whole thing was, but ultimately, all of the changes took place outside of a citizen's capacity to affect them. There was no change in policy because of a change in government, it was strictly on the strength of the people working as bureaucrats at the time. I remember that idea scaring me a bit, since it didn't matter who any of us voted for, the same bureaucrats could either do well, as my colleagues in finance did, or screw it up.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Also, my personal view of eugenics would be for it to simply be an agency to discourage the perpetuation of significantly destructive medical conditions.  These would fall within both physical and mental capacities.

This already happens on an informal level with many physicians.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Conditions that are genetic in origin, and are thus preventable, and which possess serious debilitating aspects, ( ie, schizophrenia, cystic fibrosis, etc ) would be the targets of such a program.  The goal would be to interrupt the process  ( ie procreation ) that so far ensures that these diseases will never pass away.

The implication here is that we could control genetic disorders that already limit a person's capacity to procreate. Why not let it go, and treat that which requires treatment, instead of pre-emptively aborting fetuses because they might exhibit a disease they're genetically predisposed to? That assumes a lot of foresight on the part of an OB/GYN. 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
It most definitely would terminate their ability to procreate ( sterilization ) but would otherwise not prevent them from engaging in any other activities that they saw fit.  If they still crave parenthood then let them adopt a child.

There's the system getting expensive and arbitrary again. Now you have to come up with a policy of determining who gets sterilized. In your program, it seems as though the criteria are vague. Genetic predisposition is a broad and vaguely probabilistic notion. You simply can't predict what a child will be like.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
My own situation with my mental health issues would have been positively resolved if my parents would have simply examined their own genetic history

That doesn't strike me as a "positive" resolution at all, since you're making the judgment call that it would be better if you never existed. I believe that judgement call to be outside of the scope of your personal reflection. It assumes that somehow you would know if your "net" effect has not been positive. I don't think you can possibly know that, and I personally disagree.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Terraforming Mars is certainly the most possible scenario, but I don't know that I'd say we can do it rather soon.  Payloads are going to have to go up significantly, which means a dramatic upgrade in propulsion systems, not just ion drives.

It could be rather soon if we would stop thinking about present and start thinking about the future.

mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
User is offlineOffline
Real Answer

Not to steer away from Mars, my second favorite planet.

But an interesting fact is that where the literacy rate in women goes up, birth rates go down. Pretty easy approach to eugenics don't you think?

Your life is a love story!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But an interesting

Quote:
But an interesting fact is that where the literacy rate in women goes up, birth rates go down. Pretty easy approach to eugenics don't you think?

If I had a magic wand, I'd give everyone the equivalent of a Masters Degree, including specialization in logic, ecology, and psychology.  I think that would pretty much solve a lot of problems.

To address someone from earlier, since the late 1800s, the world population has increased an awful lot.  In geologic time, a hundred years isn't nearly long enough to say whether or not population will or will not be our downfall.  Just because some folks got the date wrong once doesn't mean they weren't right in principle.   We're talking about a long term window of a few hundred to a thousand years.  Just because it won't happen in your lifetime doesn't mean it isn't real.

[edit: Oh, and you won't catch me mentioning the poor.  I know my social sciences well enough to know better.  As for genetic defects, that's a little tougher, but as a general rule, I do favor people's individual rights (and encouragements) not to bear a child they know will have something nasty.]

Books about atheism

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote:Not to steer

mindcore wrote:

Not to steer away from Mars, my second favorite planet.

Yea, it is, probably even first. We need a manned mission. I would agree to join it even if I knew there was no chance of ever comming back Smiling But I know that only USA could currently do it, so you should stop spending money on a war and start spending on that. But I can clearly see, that after your giant leap you started going back. :/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:1) With no

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

(Interestingly, the best way to protect spacefarers aboard a Mars transport ship might be to surround them with the water they'd need for their journey. The hydrogen in water, scientists have learned, is one of the best absorbers of particle radiation.)

First two problems taken care of...

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
At once!

Fanas wrote:

Yea, it is, probably even first. We need a manned mission. I would agree to join it even if I knew there was no chance of ever comming back Smiling But I know that only USA could currently do it, so you should stop spending money on a war and start spending on that. But I can clearly see, that after your giant leap you started going back. :/

I'll call GW at once and make him get the scientists to start working on this(and of course the tube technology). You know I'll bet no one has even mentioned to him that this war is costing a lot of money. It will blow his mind I'm sure.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:To address

Hambydammit wrote:

To address someone from earlier, since the late 1800s, the world population has increased an awful lot.  In geologic time, a hundred years isn't nearly long enough to say whether or not population will or will not be our downfall.  Just because some folks got the date wrong once doesn't mean they weren't right in principle.

Note that the population has grown in correlation with the extra energy inputs of coal and oil. Before those extra energy inputs, traditional agriculture could only sustain a certain population (tested most memorably by the Roman Empire) before hunger set in. With the addition of archaic energy (solar energy stored in the earth), we're able to grow much more food, and feed hundreds of millions more people than ever before. The Green Revoution has taken that idea as far as humanly possible.

But when that energy starts to become prohibitively expensive, none of us will have to worry about eugenics.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Again, I

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, yeah.  I know we're working on wormholes.  

...Then why bother mentioning all of these issues, given that - if we can make what breakthroughs would be necessary for theoretical wormhole travel - all of the points you mentioned would be moot. Well, except for point 5, give I can't help but laugh a little at that one. We arrive at our destination...

"Oh. Well. Looks like this one got smacked by an asteroid somewhere along the line, and we hadn't seen it yet. Heh. Who saw that one coming, eh? Hey - don't give me that fucking look..."

Again, just as we could (in theory) with Mars, we should be able to terraform a fairly wide margin of planet types into suitable living spaces. Or, in the worst case scenario, why just just build our own environment? Manufacturing a network of space colonies is hardly outside the realm of possibility (though said colonies would still be in rough waters when the Sun began to enter the next phase of it's life cycle).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting thought Instead

Interesting thought

Instead of re-engineering entire planets to be acceptable to our living parameters, why not re-engineer our species to suit said environments? Such as "The Omar" from Deus Ex 2?

Ah video games... is there nothing you cannot answer?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rLMn3_SzBiU

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Instead of

Quote:
Instead of re-engineering entire planets to be acceptable to our living parameters, why not re-engineer our species to suit said environments? Such as "The Omar" from Deus Ex 2?

Also a terrific idea. Again, assuming the necessary breakthroughs can be made.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

It sure does.

When I worked for the Province of Ontario, in finance, at one point I was in a group that calculated subsidies for different municipalities. The methods for calculating those subsidies had remained arbitrary (and I mean completely arbitrary) for years. Changes made later to the system decreased how arbitrary the whole thing was, but ultimately, all of the changes took place outside of a citizen's capacity to affect them. There was no change in policy because of a change in government, it was strictly on the strength of the people working as bureaucrats at the time. I remember that idea scaring me a bit, since it didn't matter who any of us voted for, the same bureaucrats could either do well, as my colleagues in finance did, or screw it up.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

This already happens on an informal level with many physicians.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

The implication here is that we could control genetic disorders that already limit a person's capacity to procreate. Why not let it go, and treat that which requires treatment, instead of pre-emptively aborting fetuses because they might exhibit a disease they're genetically predisposed to? That assumes a lot of foresight on the part of an OB/GYN. 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
It most definitely would terminate their ability to procreate ( sterilization ) but would otherwise not prevent them from engaging in any other activities that they saw fit.  If they still crave parenthood then let them adopt a child.

There's the system getting expensive and arbitrary again. Now you have to come up with a policy of determining who gets sterilized. In your program, it seems as though the criteria are vague. Genetic predisposition is a broad and vaguely probabilistic notion. You simply can't predict what a child will be like.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
My own situation with my mental health issues would have been positively resolved if my parents would have simply examined their own genetic history

That doesn't strike me as a "positive" resolution at all, since you're making the judgment call that it would be better if you never existed. I believe that judgement call to be outside of the scope of your personal reflection. It assumes that somehow you would know if your "net" effect has not been positive. I don't think you can possibly know that, and I personally disagree.

Just a further clarification on my part,  but I already accept that eugenics is not for you, Will.

1.) personal intervention by physicians, although well-intentioned, is apparently practiced on such a small scale that it renders such attempts ineffectual in regard to the overall population.  For such a program to be successful it must be all-encompassing.

2.)  I did not endorse abortion as part of my personal vision for eugenics.  I stated that no living individuals would be required to forfeit their lives.  No Killing.

3.) Sterilization most definitely would be the policy that would remain untouchable.  Cry me a river of tears but if said individual has a preponderance of genetic markers indicating potential for being a carrier of significantly destructive attributes, then it's off to the O.R. to be neutered.

4.) The standards for which these decisions are made would based upon the most comprehensive scientific methods available in regard to hereditary studies.  Personal whim would not constitute such a method.

All medical conditions under consideration would be highly prioritized. ...a predisposition to have freckles would be irrelevant, a predisposition to develop schizophrenia would  be altogether noteworthy.

As for the "arbitrary" aspect, show me any medical decision that doesn't qualify as arbitray.  A doctor's diagnosis as well as their prognosis can be as individual as the doctor themselves.  That's why the old saying about getting a second medical opinion has never gone away.

5.)  Cost issues.  A worthy matter for consideration.  The cost of a one time pre-emptive strike ( via negative eugenics which means preventing conception... not killing !!! ) should be weighed against the continued expense of dealing with a permenant disability over the span of a lifetime.

6.)  And lastly, the person most qualified to comment upon the value of my own life is myself.  I am the first and last word in that regard as I am the person who alone functions in that role.  All others are mere spectators. 

If I don't value my own existsence then all other observations are less than nothing to me.  I appreciate the sincere nature of your comments but the value of my own existence is not determined by commitee.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Also a terrific idea. Again, assuming the necessary breakthroughs can be made.

This idea is great. I would like my body changed, to be more advanced, very much. But the problem with that is religion and stupidity of mankind. Engenered people wouldn't look like human at all, so they would be disrespected and hated by those religious freaks.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:Fanas

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Fanas wrote:

I'll call GW at once and make him get the scientists to start working on this(and of course the tube technology). You know I'll bet no one has even mentioned to him that this war is costing a lot of money. It will blow his mind I'm sure.

Sarcasm detector is going crazy. Laughing out loud

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:1.)

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

1.) personal intervention by physicians, although well-intentioned, is apparently practiced on such a small scale that it renders such attempts ineffectual in regard to the overall population.  For such a program to be successful it must be all-encompassing.

... towards the goal of eliminating genetic traits that you believe cause harm. The opinion on several issues of adaptation would have to be considered. For instance, there is the notion that sickle cell anemia is an adaptation to malaria. (I don't think that's a "lifeboat situation", as in "cannibalism is bad ... unless you're starving in a lifeboat".) It's a good illustration that we can't anticipate which mutations will be useful.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
I did not endorse abortion as part of my personal vision for eugenics.  I stated that no living individuals would be required to forfeit their lives.  No Killing.

I misunderstood you as advocating abortion. My mistake.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Sterilization most definitely would be the policy that would remain untouchable.  Cry me a river of tears but if said individual has a preponderance of genetic markers indicating potential for being a carrier of significantly destructive attributes, then it's off to the O.R. to be neutered.

It's just that the amount of work this creates, not to mention the privacy issues, is simply not worth it. You'd also have the issue of appealing the decision, which adds yet another layer of bureaucracy.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
The standards for which these decisions are made would based upon the most comprehensive scientific methods available in regard to hereditary studies.

... and the complete genomic mapping of every individual, regardless of their consent. It's untenable in a society that would like to consider its citizens free. The policy in practical application would be a nightmare. Have you ever stood in line to get a passport or replacement birth certificate?

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
All medical conditions under consideration would be highly prioritized. ...a predisposition to have freckles would be irrelevant, a predisposition to develop schizophrenia would  be altogether noteworthy.

The predisposition alone? To artificially bottleneck the population would not necessarily have the desired results, since biology just isn't as black-and-white as math. The algorithm you'd have to create would pressupose a complete knowledge of the function of the entire human genome, which we don't have.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Cost issues.  A worthy matter for consideration.  The cost of a one time pre-emptive strike ( via negative eugenics which means preventing conception... not killing !!! ) should be weighed against the continued expense of dealing with a permenant disability over the span of a lifetime.

The cost to whom? To the parents who decided to have a child? Does society suffer so much from having people with genetic disorders in it? Do we know what the cost would be in pre-emptively eliminating depression (and eliminating someone like Van Gogh) or schizophrenia (and eliminating someone like John Nash)? We're just not sure what we'd be doing, and we'd be putting that decision into the hands of people who may or may not be able to make that decision.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
And lastly, the person most qualified to comment upon the value of my own life is myself.  I am the first and last word in that regard as I am the person who alone functions in that role.  All others are mere spectators.

If I don't value my own existsence then all other observations are less than nothing to me.  I appreciate the sincere nature of your comments but the value of my own existence is not determined by commitee.

You determine the value of your own life, but a commitee can determine the value of other's lives? That seems a bit off, doesn't it? I'm not being a smart-ass, and I honestly didn't expect you to say that. If your idea is that you alone can determine the value of your own life, what commitee could qualify to judge the potential lives of others?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I strongly disagree with the

I strongly disagree with the people in favor of forced sterilization due to factors such as IQ, genetic disorders, etc... IQ is a very subjective measure. So called intelligent people can be criminals and polluters. Many so call unintelligent people can become net contributors to society.

The problem of overpopulation needs to be measured in terms of individuals impact on the environment and quality of life for others. So if society decides some people need to be sterilized to protect the environment and overall quality of life for others, these are the only factors that should be used to determine this:

1. Penalize amount of pollution one generates. Encourages recycling, eco-friendly energy use with the right to breed.

2. Penalize amount of natural resources used. Land to grow your food and live, oil, electricity, water, traffic you create, etc...

3. Reward Taxes paid.

4. Penalize criminal behavior.

5. Reward Amount of public service work performed.

6. Reward Potential earnings/tax generating based on amount of education one obtains.

So you would have a formula based on these factors to determine right to breed. If people refuse to voluntarily sterilized themselves, society then cuts of there access to commodities like food, transportation and shelter.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Assuming humans can get to

Assuming humans can get to mars in large numbers, what are you going to do for a magnetic field?

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:This idea is

Fanas wrote:

This idea is great. I would like my body changed, to be more advanced, very much. But the problem with that is religion and stupidity of mankind. Engenered people wouldn't look like human at all, so they would be disrespected and hated by those religious freaks.

We atheists are used to it already ^_^

Next stop, genetic superiority!

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Assuming humans can

Quote:
Assuming humans can get to mars in large numbers, what are you going to do for a magnetic field?

My layman's answer would be, "...Make one?"

I would presume that we know how the Earth creates it's own magnetic field. Presumably, assuming we had the technology/resources, we could simply duplicate the process (if on a smaller scale)?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

My layman's answer would be, "...Make one?"

I would presume that we know how the Earth creates it's own magnetic field. Presumably, assuming we had the technology/resources, we could simply duplicate the process (if on a smaller scale)?

Might be difficult to infuse molten nickel-iron close to the core into Mars that rotates slightly faster than the crust.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Might be difficult to

Quote:
Might be difficult to infuse molten nickel-iron close to the core into Mars that rotates slightly faster than the crust.

Beat me to the punch.

The point I've been making is not that any one problem is necessarily insurmountable in getting people onto another planet.  It's that there are so many individual problems, any one of which would be effectively insurmountable, that it's pretty much a pipe dream.  I'd say that if humans pooled all available resources into science, and worked together as a species to find another earth-like planet, there might be an outside chance of finding it, and then a really, really remote chance of actually getting there with live humans, but if humans could muster that kind of collective effort for the greater good, we wouldn't need to get off of the earth, would we?

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:but if

Hambydammit wrote:

but if humans could muster that kind of collective effort for the greater good, we wouldn't need to get off of the earth, would we?

Give the man a cigar.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Give the man a

Quote:
Give the man a cigar.

I'd like one infused with the sweat of small Cuban children, if you don't mind.

Frankly, the older I've gotten, and more importantly, the more I've learned about the human animal, the more I realize that it is simply not in our nature to get off of this planet.  Nevermind that we aren't going to be able to overcome all the technical hurdles and genuine physical limitations of matter and energy.  Humans are incapable of making a concerted effort for anything that defies basic human nature.  If everybody in the world agreed to only have one child, and to wait until they were 30 before doing so, population would no longer be an issue. 

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Oh, and while we're talking about technical hurdles, suppose the closest earthlike planet is oh, I don't know, 20,000 light years away.  How, precisely, are the astronauts going to communicate with earth when they get there?  If it takes light 20,000 years to get here, humans will have evolved into a whole different species by the time a radio signal gets back to tell us to come on over and have a picnic.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Might be difficult to

Quote:

Well... what if we used our (admittedly quite precious) source of ninjas? Surely they could accomplish the feat?

Sticking out tongue

I'm not at all familiar with physics or geology (well, except where geology related to volcanology, which I did study a bit of), so pardon if I'm just way off:

Wouldn't it be possible to just create a localized magnetic field, around - say - an achology of some kind, and use that as a stepping stone / building block?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Oh, and while we're

Quote:
Oh, and while we're talking about technical hurdles, suppose the closest earthlike planet is oh, I don't know, 20,000 light years away.  How, precisely, are the astronauts going to communicate with earth when they get there?  If it takes light 20,000 years to get here, humans will have evolved into a whole different species by the time a radio signal gets back to tell us to come on over and have a picnic.

Well (in theory):

We already know where the closest habitable planet is. We're standing on it.

If a wormhole, as string theory suggests (...as I understand it. What follows may, in actuality, be a complete butchery of astro-physics), allows us to traverse not only distance, but dimension and time, it could very well be that we only need to cross the proverbial threshold to arrive on a brand-spanking 'new' planet Earth. Say, from a few billion years ago.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Wouldn't it be

Quote:
Wouldn't it be possible to just create a localized magnetic field, around - say - an achology of some kind, and use that as a stepping stone / building block?

Stepping stone to what? 

If you don't get a global magnetic field, you're not going to get to keep your atmosphere.  Speaking of which, where are you going to get your atmosphere?  Earth needs the one it has, and if the planet is big enough to be close enough in gravity for us to live, it's going to take a bit more gas than you can carry on a spaceship, which, incidentally, is going to be using that gas to keep its occupants alive.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If a wormhole, as

Quote:
If a wormhole, as string theory suggests (...as I understand it. What follows may, in actuality, be a complete butchery of astro-physics), allows us to traverse not only distance, but dimension and time, it could very well be that we only need to cross the proverbial threshold to arrive on a brand-spanking 'new' planet Earth. Say, from a few billion years ago.

Now that's good sci-fi.

Yeah... trust me... everybody who goes through the swirling cloud ends up on earth a billion years ago... yeah.. yeah... it's a wormhole.  Trust me...

In any case, it'd be a great way to weed out a couple billion really gullible people. 

Books about atheism