Through the roof ministries.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Through the roof ministries.

I wanted to go through the roof when I read this:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/faith_values/stories/2008/04/11/thruroof.ART_ART_04-11-08_B3_T59S3I5.html?sid=101

Their bullshit bible says children need a miracle from Jesus. Yet, if  these kids are getting any help at all, it is the result of scientific research. What fucking BS, the only miracle that helps these children is from science. But religion takes all the credit for any scientific achievement(and the money).

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gotta love the irony

Gotta love the irony of this lady's reasoning. "Jennifer Condo worried that her son's disability might prevent him from ever knowing God or being able to participate in church."

I love when people get better from a disease, or show a little sign of promise, their immediate conclusion is "God must be helping me(us or him, etc.). They never go back and think, why does God hate my child or me so much that he would afflict an innocent with terrible, lifelong disease. Selective reasoning and looking for the answers you want to find always seem to win out with these people.

If  science can effectively treat autism in this person's lifetime, it will not be "Science saved my son." Her response will be "look at the wonders God has produced to help us through the works of others."

Ain't compartmentalization a bitch!

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did I just read in the

Did I just read in the caption to one of those photos that a woman learns about God through her autistic son? I'm going to blame the Friday night beers for my terribly insensitive laughter at that point, but COME ON. Autism. The disorder characterized by poor communication and social interaction. God. "In his own image." Am I hammering to point home too hard?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ya,a handicapped kid who

Ya,a handicapped kid who parrots the prayers he's taught is definetley close to god. I'm sure that kid has no concept of what he's actaully doing, could be some funny game for all he cares. Yet he's a shining example of a good christian child.My son may be handicapped,but at least he has jesus! I can't stand people who just spit in science after it helps them.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
About the article:"I don't

About the article:

"I don't necessarily understand if he knows the complexities of it, but he understands the simpleness of God that I think most kids do, and that's what brings it purity,"

The kid doesn't have to be disabled for this statement to fit...NO child understands the 'complexities' of a supposed god. And as for the adults that continue to teach those children what THEY think 'god' is...they are just parroting what they have been taught and adding their own personal spin on it.

Condo said she "has learned more about the true character of God, and about his love, patience and kindness, through her son."

"I look at a lot of people who've gone through what I've gone through, and they didn't know God ... and they have no hope for their child.

"I always had that hope because I always knew that God was there for him."

How about this god-absorbed idiot actually give herself some credit for loving her her son because he is HER SON! She holds the love the patience and kindness. And what is it with the bullshit about those not knowing god has no hope for their child? That is to assume that out of every single parent of an autistic child ONLY the parents that know god have hope for their child..? What a fuck nut....AND how is it that this mother has learned about gods character and not mentioned what an asshole god must be for allowing her to give birth to a baby that would have to go through its life like this?

The Autism Center for Enlightenment states: Amazing strides are being made daily with increasingly effective medical treatments for the underlying conditions that result in Autistic symptomology.

^^^^^^ That statement is one that doesn't congratulate a god^^^^^^^^^

-Renee

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I'm sure that kid

Loc wrote:

I'm sure that kid has no concept of what he's actaully doing, could be some funny game for all he cares. 

I would bet money that he has more of an idea than his mother does. Really.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Their bullshit

EXC wrote:

Their bullshit bible says children need a miracle from Jesus. Yet, if  these kids are getting any help at all, it is the result of scientific research.

Right on. In fact, in another week I will begin volunteering for a lab whose primary focus is studying circadian rhythms - but my mentor's side project (for an independent fellowship) is finding a genetic basis for autism using mouse models. If I'm lucky, I'll get to help with that too. She is there even on weekends a lot of the time, just working on one aspect of the condition. Researchers go through so much to find out one tiny piece of the puzzle, and then these religious people go and give god all the credit.

And like Renee said, what's so bad about giving proper credit where it's due? I was actually born with an eye disability (strabismus) that was corrected through surgery in my infancy (and also in my childhood when the condition started to return). It was through no miracle of god that I'm not cross-eyed any longer - it was because my pediatrician grandfather insisted that my parents do something before it was too late, it was because of my parents' persistence to find someone to operate on a 9-month-old baby, and ultimately, it was because of the work of competent surgeons. The thing is, nobody is born perfect, but medicine can accomplish a lot - unfortunately, it can't cure everything yet. The question that this raises is: why does god continue to create imperfect people if he cares about us so damn much?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps some of the

Perhaps some of the therapies applied in these sessions have benefit, thanks to science. But they are likely doing more harm than good. The church and the "buddy" they were assigned have no certification or training for special needs kids. The state does not monitor the care of children as it would any secular institution.

So you are not required to abide by the rules everyone else has to live by for medical/psycological treatment if you use religion. Pissed the Hell out of me that the state doesn't shut this down.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The church and the

EXC wrote:

The church and the "buddy" they were assigned have no certification or training for special needs kids. The state does not monitor the care of children as it would any secular institution.

So you are not required to abide by the rules everyone else has to live by for medical/psycological treatment if you use religion. Pissed the Hell out of me that the state doesn't shut this down.

Oh wow, the certification issue didn't even occur to me as I was reading the article. That's about as effective as an 8-year-old kid trying to treat her bed-ridden mother's pneumonia with a plastic doctor's kit (my poor mom!).

But in all seriousness, I'm tired of the "god can treat everything" attitude, which somehow gets extended into "Christians can treat everything." It's the same situation we run into with CareNet pregnancy centers, anti-gay camps, and those treatment centers in Australia for young women - I know they mean well, but these issues must be handled by an appropriate professional.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote: I know

greek goddess wrote:
 I know they mean well, but these issues must be handled by an appropriate professional.

Isn't there an expression about the road to hell being paved with good intentions? Shouldn't people who actually believe in hell know that better than I do?