Explaining Religion

scoff
User is offlineOffline
Explaining Religion

In the March 19 online issue of The Economist there's an interesting article on a new study into the evolution of religious belief.

The Science of Religion 

Started in Sep, 2007, "Explaining Religion" is a $3 million study that includes research into both the evolutionary origin of religion and the biological basis for religious experiences.

Anything that brings us closer to finally ridding humanity of religion's deleterious influence gets my full support. Superstition has ruled human consciousness long enough. It's time to get out collective head out of the clouds and get back down to earth with some semblance of rational thought.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
That article reeks of

That article reeks of christian propoganda.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Really? I think the idea is hilarious. Like, "what's with this crazy god belief thing anyway? Are we just joking? Is it like being hypnotized or something?"

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Renee

HisWillness wrote:

Really? I think the idea is hilarious. Like, "what's with this crazy god belief thing anyway? Are we just joking? Is it like being hypnotized or something?"

What is it with you brown haired frowning atheists?!  Smiling

Perhaps propoganda was the wrong word...I can't put my finger on it but the article seems to weigh heavily on the side of the theist.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

What is it with you brown haired frowning atheists?!  Smiling

We're jerks. Actually, I suppose I should change the avatar back, since I look so damned goofy. I was trying to get more people to take pictures of themselves with facial hair, blue shirts and frowns, since that one thread was kind of funny. Turns out atheists aren't much for joining in. Go figure.

Perhaps propoganda was the wrong word...I can't put my finger on it but the article seems to weigh heavily on the side of the theist.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, it had that punchline that said, "Don't send me any mail! I'm totally into God and whatever!"

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
science

It sounds like thiests not winning so joining the oppositions angle. THIEST; We can't beat you with science on your side, so we will pull science to our side. ATHIEST; It's not a compitition. THIEST;We do a science thing like you always talk about, but we prove why people NEED to believe. ATHIEST; Needing anything does NOT make it REAL. I need a million bucks, will that NEED change my bank account by one cent? THIEST; No but it's not about your bank account, it's about science proving god exist because it NEEDS to exist, otherwise there's no god and I can't sleep at night knowing that. ATHIEST; How does science TRANSLATE need into reality? THIEST; Has long as it says scientific people believe it. Science already proved I need sleep.Science proved children thrive on bedtime storys and fairy tales. ATHIEST; You want science to prove fairy tales? THIEST; EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

scoff
User is offlineOffline
The operant idea here

is that theists should be careful what they wish for. They might not want it once they have it.

Also, with the possible exception of the last 2 paragraphs, I don't see the article as propaganda.

Research into the evolutionary advantage of religion may end up being a big disappointment to all theists. The fact that these are traits that can be shown to have been passed down for millions of years will, at the least, put a crimp in the claims of the literalists.