Sin before sin?

Two_Sandals
User is offlineOffline
Sin before sin?

Now the entire concept of christianity is based on the how god needed a blood sacrifice of his son in order to subside his wrath against us for eating the forbidden fruit. By sinning and disobeying him, god caused sin to enter the world, as to say the world was without sin prior to that event. How could adam and eve sin, if sin was not yet in the world? This can't be said to be a metaphor, because as i stated christianity is based on this concept.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed with no evidence." Christopher Hitchens

shikko
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:j_day*

jcgadfly wrote:
j_day* wrote:

You are thinking about this from a human perspective only. Imagine for a moment that a movie, such as Die Hard, is real (as in no writers). Imagine a part where Bruce Willis has a choice between going left and right. Bruce Willis goes left instead of right. You knew he was going to do that because you have already seen it happen. That doesn't mean that the decision made was a result of you knowing where he was going to go. He didn't go left because you knew he was going to go left. He wasn't restricted by your knowledge. Your knowledge is based on what you have already seen. When you quote a movie or a song, you don't say "Jamie Foxx was forced to say that because I knew the words". Michael Jackson chose the words to his song, you know them, that doesn't mean he is forced to sing what you know as opposed to you know what he's going to say because you have already heard him say it.

Is this a special pleading argument? I can never get the fallacies striaght.

No, special pleading is: "All X must Y, except for Z because it's intangibly different."  Like "all things must be created, except for the god I believe in, because it's eternal."

I don't know what to call this knot of reasoning other than distressing.

Quote:

Also, How does god already seeing you do X (before you've actually done it) not affect your decision to do X or not?

That's what he can't explain without violating his own foreknowledge circumstances.  I know the lyrics to a song because the song was written, THEN I learned the lyrics.  He's trying to explain that I could somehow know the lyrics to a song before the song is written and not have that contradict the free will of the author.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
j_day* wrote:You are

j_day* wrote:

You are thinking about this from a human perspective only. Imagine for a moment that a movie, such as Die Hard, is real (as in no writers). Imagine a part where Bruce Willis has a choice between going left and right. Bruce Willis goes left instead of right. You knew he was going to do that because you have already seen it happen. That doesn't mean that the decision made was a result of you knowing where he was going to go. He didn't go left because you knew he was going to go left. He wasn't restricted by your knowledge. Your knowledge is based on what you have already seen. When you quote a movie or a song, you don't say "Jamie Foxx was forced to say that because I knew the words". Michael Jackson chose the words to his song, you know them, that doesn't mean he is forced to sing what you know as opposed to you know what he's going to say because you have already heard him say it.

As we are human that is the only way we can think about such things. We can abstractly consider the alternative of looking down upon a situation as an observer with fore knowledge of the event. We would in this scenario know the outcome as we would have such an ability in your fictional representation. But since we are in fact human and know not of anything else we can't translate it to our reality. I see that you believe you can at least in your own perspective. This requires the Faith thing you have that we do not. Good luck with that.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:So your system does

Quote:
So your system does not have an "n/a" category and is strictly and mercilessly binary?

Heh.  "Merciless" seems like a pretty loaded term.  So, you may perceive it as such, but I do not.

"Strictly" seemed inherent in the word binary. So yes, as I have stated, good/evil concept is binary from one perspective.

Quote:
But above, you just said "anything which cannot be 'morally not good' is good", so how does that not necessitate everything being categorized into exactly one of two opposed states?

It does.  My quote was not meant to address this point but rather your use of the word "opposite."

By using it, you conflated the two issues of "opposite in the particular" and "opposite in capacity to be morally not good."

For instance, orange maybe the opposite of the blue, but that does not mean if one is good the other must be evil--they both can be good.

Here is your quote that I was addressing that I was addressing and that was conflating the issues:

Quote:
The existence of A does not necessarily entail the existence of its opposite, call it anti-A.  The lack of A-ness is not equal to the opposite of A-ness; the lack of the colour blue doesn't mean something is orange (its opposite); it just means it's not blue.

Next:

Quote Me:

Quote:
If you want to use colors, fine.

The existence of orange necessitates that there is a concept of "not orange."  "Not orange" would entail all those things of which do not fall under what would be defined as orange.  This would include blue, black, birds, babies, the internet.

None of these things are necessarily "the opposite."

Quote You:

Quote:
When you change what you said to read this way, I understand and agree; a concept of a quality necessitates the concept that other things may not have that quality.  I was commenting on what you said originally, which used the words "good" and "evil", or "good" and "not good", which you define by exclusion to be synonymous with "evil".

I don't understand how you see these two concepts as necessarily separate. 

I understand how one can argue that they can be perceived that way and that perhaps I was not being clear... so perhaps this will help:

Evil = not good.  OR, in other words, Evil = the absence of the good (or, the absence of the quality that necessitates the concept, which, in my construct, is "good&quotEye-wink.

Now.. under such a construct, it is certainly possible to frame everything existent in such a way as to find some good, such an understanding of the world would be consistent with Augustine and Lewis.

Me Said:

Quote:
"Evil" is not necessarily "the opposite" of good.

You said:

Quote:
Beg pardon?  What, then, is evil?

Ah.. dang it.. you have got me a snaffu.

Perhaps what would have been more accurate to say is that, "What is evil is not necessarily the opposite of what is good."

For support of this concept, please see above to the example of orange and blue.