Catholic claims?

net_traveller
User is offlineOffline
Catholic claims?

Im just wondering can anyone help me with this claim by a catholic friend he claims that most religious historian even secular non catholics ones agree that Saint Peter was in Rome and that the bones they found have been scientifically tested to prove it. Is this true and if u dont know than can u point me towards resources that would tell me. Im most interested in anything that tells me what mainstream non religious scholars have to say simply coz 1) as far as im aware these people are the experts and 2) they seem less likely to be biased.

P.S. i am a long time reader first time poster and i respect the Rational response Squad very much

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah no

There are some problems with this, first off who are these non catholic secular historians? Because if your friend bothered to keep up with times, the tomb that was claimed by Pope Pius XII in 1939 has been under dispute for so long, and still is, even though Dr. Guarducci, a catholic who worked with Administrator Monsignor Ludwig Kaas on the tombs discoveries at St. Peters Basilica,  wrote her discovery the scientific community ripped it to shrews, with the many problems with her theory, and the discovery and identification process, even to this very day it is not held in high regards, although she is the most knowledgeable one on this topic because of her work with the vatican on the discovery.

To compound this problem in 1953 2 Franciscan Monks in Jerusalem discover a 1st century ossuraries with hundreds of coffins, one of them was Shimon Bar Yonah, or simon son of Jonah which is the original biblical name of the disciple Peter, although the vatican has dismissed it has being mere coincidence and has no tradition like the bones in Rome (although mainly because Constantine built the tomb for St. Peter in Rome in the 300's, and that the bones had been transported there for burial, however they cannot be verified as being Peter, other than they belong to a male 60 years old), yet there are people in the scientific community both in archeology and historical that do take this discovery seriously. So your friend is full of shit. To this very day only the vatican and scientists that work with the vatican have held the position that those bones discovered in 1939 are absolutely those of St. Peter.

{Edited some mistakes in dates and changed a sentece that made no sense.}

net_traveller
User is offlineOffline
thanx

Thanx the main thing is id like references coz my friend keeps claiming that mainstream non catholic scholars agree with the catholic church on things and i just wanted to find out if thats true or not, but your post helped clear that up thank you. Do you have any refernces i could check?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah...the net

There are references every where to this, google St. Peters bones, or wiki it as well, they have reference materials as well, Dr. Guardicci as well you can use as a google.