The joys of being (lightly) persecuted (in America)

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
The joys of being (lightly) persecuted (in America)

Witnessing the hilarity of the persecution complex that Christians, who make up the overwhelming majority of people in this country have got me thinking. Do you think that in some ways, they envy us and other religious minorities?

Atheists, Agnostics, and Neopagans are treated unfairly in this country, no where near to the degree that homosexuals, black people, Muslims, or women have, but we are still treated unfairly. The act of saying "I don't believe in god" is considered offensive and makes you unelectable if you had any political aspirations. Wearing a shirt that says proud to be an atheist is perceived as rude and disrespectful while wearing a shirt with a cross that says proud to be a Christian is a statement of ones religious beliefs. Its ok to have dozens and dozens of childrens books and movies promoting christianity but if one comes out that promotes atheism then its hate speech. Obama is not an atheist but the right attacks him for being a closet atheist when they aren't attacking him for being a closet Muslim as if that would make him a bad president.

Symbolic discrimination is in our country's pledge of allegiance and in our national motto because McCarthyists in the 50s wanted to stick it to atheism since the believed it was inseparable from Communism. Ignorant theists want to teach creationism in our school as a wedge of an overall goal to abolish religious pluralism, unaware that pluralism has done far more to strengthen American religious participation than tax supported, state religions, have in those countries like England that have it. People in certain parts of the country have lost jobs over it. Parents have disowned their children over it.

But are there, for many of us, advantages to being a minority? Certainly all of the above suck, particularly losing your job or your family, but do you ever get the feeling of pride that you're part of this relatively small club? Whenever you hear that some famous high achieving person subscribes to this philosophy or one close to it like agnosticism or deism or secular humanism that you get a sense of pride that you might not have gotten if you were a majority and found out that person was also a member of the majority? I sometimes feel as though that membership in this minority group gives me the sense of pride of being a member of the minority group of people who got a high score on their IQ test would.

I am an ex-vegetarian as well and in a lot of ways, when I was in those circles I got the same feeling, even if people made a point saying dickish things like "I didn't crawl my way up the food chain to eat carrots," or immediately becoming political and defensive, attacking my diet or labeling vegetarians as weak. Neopagans seem to act as though they feel the same way, while lamenting jerk-ass behavior from non pagans that label them satan worshipers.

I am not saying atheism is trendy. It isn't. If it were trendy, we wouldn't be minorities. But seeing as our persecution as Atheists who live in America doesn't usually involve us picking cotton, lynching, gas chambers, or prison, do you think there could be some envy among members of the majority group for us and that is why they seem to want to create this persecution complex?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
The christians persecution

The christians persecution complex irks me terribly. I don't live in America, but it isn't much better here. The thought that just maybe, some people don't want christians's  beliefs in their face is of course terrible persecution to christians. I mean, they have large christian bookstores, radiostations, tv channels, thousands of churchs they can enter without fear of arrest or harrasment. They obviously lead a hard and matyr like life for their god.

I think a member of any group feels a certain measure of elitism, minority or not. When I was  a xtian I certainly felt superior, or at least more enlightned than the none saved. As an atheist, I do not feel so much superior, since I was more of a smug bastard in the xtian days. I certainly feel proud to be associated with it, and more justified doing so since statisically I actually have intelligence and morals on my side now.

I do think christians secretly want to be persecuted.Who in their christian childhood did not hear stories of Roman persecutin and torture, or read Foxes Book of Martyrs?(maybe that was just me) Who didn't want the martyrs crown in heaven? I'm sure there are christians today who actually believe they are a minority, and that the big, secular world is out to get them.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
I don't think its Christians

I don't think its Christians wanting to be persecuted as much as a delusion that anyone trying to reduce Christianity's influence is attacking Christianity as a whole. If you listen to their complaints it seems that just about all of this alleged persecution aimed toward is Christians consists of things like taking the word "God" out of the pledge of allegiance/currency, the so-called "war on Christmas", and taking prayer out of schools. It seems to me that for many Christians in America separation of church and state only applies to non-Christian religions. Because, after all, those are false religions. Why would anyone get offended by the truth? Or rather how could anyone get offended by the word "God", a cross, or prayer?

I think that's pretty much the root cause of Christians thinking they're being persecuted. They're unable to empathize with non-Christians and as a result think people are just attacking their religion out of malice when they complain about how Christian dominated this society is. The infuriating irony is of course that Christians see no problem when they themselves get up in arms about other religions and religious stances in the US.

However, if we're talking about more radical followers of Christianity such as pentecostals/evangelicals then yes, I think a large part of it stems from them wanting to be persecuted so they can get to think of themselves as a Christian martyr.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fire wrote:But are there,

Fire wrote:

But are there, for many of us, advantages to being a minority?

The possibility that we will one day in the not too distant future be vindicated makes me giddy.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fire wrote:I am not saying

Fire wrote:
I am not saying atheism is trendy. It isn't. If it were trendy, we wouldn't be minorities. But seeing as our persecution as Atheists who live in America doesn't usually involve us picking cotton, lynching, gas chambers, or prison, do you think there could be some envy among members of the majority group for us and that is why they seem to want to create this persecution complex?

I think they do it as a form of defense mechanism. Many of them know of the issues and contradictions and probably have sub-conscious doubts. Most of them fear what happens if Christianity is true so they play on even with doubt. But if you challenge them by demanding your right to your freedom of religion which is no religion at all, you threaten them on the sub-conscious level. They respond to this threat as if the Inquisition was still a tool to be used. I'm sure you've had the encounter where after you've told someone you are an atheist they tell you something like, "Are you serious. How can you not believe?" Then proceed to try to humiliate you for not believing. I usually turn it on them telling them they are the one with the mental illness not me. I'm not the one with a mythical friend on my shoulder. It doesn't usually work but I fell a lot better after wards.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.