Steven Pinker's endorsement of free thought

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Steven Pinker's endorsement of free thought

I love the guy's books on language, so I was combing YouTube for some videos of some of his presentations, and lo and behold, I find a video of him endorsing free thought! I was glad to see this, as I am a fan.

Chalk up one more great thinker to the list of famous atheists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8my07k3Qgq0

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds good to meI'll have

Sounds good to me

I'll have to check out some of his work on the stuff of thought and how the mind works.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Sounds good to me

I'll have to check out some of his work on the stuff of thought and how the mind works.

It's interesting work, but if you're not very interested in an intense scrutiny of grammar (i.e. 20 pages on our unconscious understanding of the different kinds of transitive verbs, etc), you may find his books hard to get into.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey Matt, what's up?Nice

Hey Matt, what's up?

Nice video. I really liked the "What is America's role in the World?" section.

But while that is an intriguing video, I'd like to direct you to something of more dire importance, namely: Is a fetus just a blob of tissue?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote: Hey

greek goddess wrote:

Hey Matt, what's up?

Nice video. I really liked the "What is America's role in the World?" section.

But while that is an intriguing video, I'd like to direct you to something of more dire importance, namely: Is a fetus just a blob of tissue?

Alex! You're rationally responding! It's been so lonely without you. So... Alexandra-less, which is the worst kind of -less there is.

Good video. Very strong arguments. "Does it look like X? Then it is obviously X! Does it NOT look like X? Then it isn't! Duh!"

Ah, those are the best ones. =D

Thanks for making your big comeback in my very awesome thread.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
haha well thank you, thank

haha well thank you, thank you...

The real question is though: What does God look like?

I'd say he looks like... nothing. Therefore, he must BE nothing! omg omg omg I LoVe using fundie logic!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:haha

greek goddess wrote:

haha well thank you, thank you...

The real question is though: What does God look like?

I'd say he looks like... nothing. Therefore, he must BE nothing! omg omg omg I LoVe using fundie logic!

Ouch... good hit.

But you see, Alex, you need to look with your heart, not your eyes.

I know what you're thinking: "What the fuck does that mean?"

If you would just let yourself believe in God, you would know.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Arch

I like to listen to books on cd while I drive, and those are in that format. I just finished George Lakoff's "Whose Freedom" which is the linguistic discussion of how freedom is defined by different groups, different perspectives, the use of framing, and the infusion of strict father/nurturing parent upbringing associated with one's worldview and political leanings. I have just gotten into this books on CD stuff for nonfiction books, fiction books on the other hand I like to actually read.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BLobs

That last pic kinda did look like a blob, so I would say it must be a blob. Problem solved.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: But you

Archeopteryx wrote:

But you see, Alex, you need to look with your heart, not your eyes.

With which part of my heart would you suggest looking? Perhaps one of the ventricles? Or maybe the aorta. I'm so confused!!!11!1

Archeopteryx wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm trying so bad. I'm trying to open my heart to god, but the ribcage is sort of getting in the way. Come on in Jeebus!

I'm only used to dealing with the hearts of fetal pigs (which are not blobs of tissue btw). This is gonna be harrrdss. Any other advices lolololz?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I like to listen to books on cd while I drive, and those are in that format. I just finished George Lakoff's "Whose Freedom" which is the linguistic discussion of how freedom is defined by different groups, different perspectives, the use of framing, and the infusion of strict father/nurturing parent upbringing associated with one's worldview and political leanings. I have just gotten into this books on CD stuff for nonfiction books, fiction books on the other hand I like to actually read.

Ah, I've heard of Lakoff, but I haven't read him. Pinker argues against him quite a bit in The Stuff of Thought, though. If I remember correctly, it's because he accuses Lakoff of having an extreme view of language. Something along the lines of his being a bit of a relativist who thinks that language is absolutely metaphorical, and some of his assertions tend to underestimate people's intelligence. I'd have to look up the chapter again to elaborate, but I do remember Pinker disagreeing. I'm not a Linguistics expert by any means, and I haven't read enough to point out the pros and cons on my own, just saying what I've heard. =]

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:With

greek goddess wrote:

With which part of my heart would you suggest looking? Perhaps one of the ventricles? Or maybe the aorta. I'm so confused!!!11!1

God is felt roughly in the vicinity of the Vena Cava, I think. It's a tingly feeling, like going down a big hill in the backseat of a car, only in your vena cava and not in your belly.

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm trying so bad. I'm trying to open my heart to god, but the ribcage is sort of getting in the way. Come on in Jeebus!

I can show you the way to Jesus.

I'm going to need a scalpel and a bonesaw! stat!

Quote:

I'm only used to dealing with the hearts of fetal pigs (which are not blobs of tissue btw).

Oh, I see. For throwing into the savory witch's brew at your heathen atheist cross-burnings.

Quote:

This is gonna be harrrdss. Any other advices lolololz?

Yes. Try being more gullible. It only hurts for a second.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lakoff

Archeopteryx wrote:

Ah, I've heard of Lakoff, but I haven't read him. Pinker argues against him quite a bit in The Stuff of Thought, though. If I remember correctly, it's because he accuses Lakoff of having an extreme view of language. Something along the lines of his being a bit of a relativist who thinks that language is absolutely metaphorical, and some of his assertions tend to underestimate people's intelligence. I'd have to look up the chapter again to elaborate, but I do remember Pinker disagreeing. I'm not a Linguistics expert by any means, and I haven't read enough to point out the pros and cons on my own, just saying what I've heard. =]

Lakoff is a very left leaning progressive ideologue who seems to use his linguistic view of the world to extrapolate his political world views. That being said, I think he has some interesting ideas, but it is the only thing I have studied so far regarding linguistics other than a few things from college on the Sapir-Worf hypothesis etc.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I'm

greek goddess wrote:

I'm only used to dealing with the hearts of fetal pigs (which are not blobs of tissue btw). This is gonna be harrrdss. Any other advices lolololz?

Greek Goddess, I just pray that you find the one true Cheebus, not Jeebus. Thats like conflating Yahweh with Allah, you know that one of them is definitely going to roast you eternally for the extreme grievance of misspelling their name. May Cheebus save us!

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ohhhh, now I feel the

Ohhhh, now I feel the presence of god! Yup, right in the vena cava, just like you said. I just tried being more gullible and it worked!

I actually am a very gullible person by nature. I've just been trying to stifle it. But I remember the first time someone spoke those words: "Gullible is written on the ceiling." I was in eighth grade and it was at lunch. I looked up and saw nothing, and I was like "Where?" ... and then I looked again, and I was like "Where? I don't see it?" and then my friend starts shaking her head and I'm still squinting at the ceiling for a full minute like "Where is gullible written on the ceiling??" ...Finally, I'm like "Ooooohhhhh..." and I felt ashamed. (Because I was naked.)

I also had a similar experience when someone told me the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary, and I was like "Well this one has it." True stories, both of them.

And now I totally see the truth. Creation is true, we're meant to be slaves, and I really don't mind the idea of being inferior to men and traded as property. Whatever will buy me god's love!! What's that you say? It's not through good works... we're going to have a problem here.

Well anyways, now let me posit the merits of living in Illinois as opposed to Indiana... coming soon.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait, there's a Cheebus now?

Wait, there's a Cheebus now? Oh no! I've had the wrong religion! Homer is actually the Christ!~

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I

greek goddess wrote:

I actually am a very gullible person by nature. I've just been trying to stifle it. But I remember the first time someone spoke those words: "Gullible is written on the ceiling." I was in eighth grade and it was at lunch. I looked up and saw nothing, and I was like "Where?" ... and then I looked again, and I was like "Where? I don't see it?" and then my friend starts shaking her head and I'm still squinting at the ceiling for a full minute like "Where is gullible written on the ceiling??" ...Finally, I'm like "Ooooohhhhh..." and I felt ashamed.

I remember the first time that trick was ever played on me. Have you ever been in one of those situations where you know you're about to do something stupid, and as you're about to do it, you think to yourself "Stop. This is stupid." but your body just kind of keeps on moving anyway, and then a second later you're like "Dammit. I did it anyway..."

That's like me in that situation. "No! Don't look! It isn't true! It's all lies! Don't loo--shit."

Quote:

(Because I was naked.)

It's a good thing you taught me how to be an internet predator. Now I can respond to this appropriately!

Quote:

I also had a similar experience when someone told me the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary, and I was like "Well this one has it." True stories, both of them.

I would have torn the page out of the dictionary and turned that it around on them.

Quote:

And now I totally see the truth. Creation is true, we're meant to be slaves, and I really don't mind the idea of being inferior to men and traded as property. Whatever will buy me god's love!! What's that you say? It's not through good works... we're going to have a problem here.

I'm glad you have seen the light. Now we just have to talk you out of eating the raw hearts of animals, and you'll be all set for heaven.

Quote:

Well anyways, now let me posit the merits of living in Illinois as opposed to Indiana... coming soon.

There are merits to living in Indiana?

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Illinois - sophisticated

Illinois - sophisticated citizens (well, at least in the northern half)
Indiana - rednecks

Illinois - home of one of the largest metropolitan areas of the country.
Indiana - ????

Illinois - Way hotter girls
Indiana -

Illinois - Home of the way awesome Cubs! (who lost their season opener, but nvm)
Indiana - uhhh baseball?

Illinois - DA BULLS!
Indiana - Well, the Pacers actually did better than the bulls this year, so I'll concede you a point.

Illinois - DA BEARS!
Indiana - why'd you have to beat us in the freaking super bowl? Well the Colts are playing the Bears in the 2008 opener so we'll see who's on top very soon... for now I will give you another point.

Illinois - We have a silent letter.
Indiana - You don't.

Illinois - Home of Abe Lincoln
Indiana - um?

Illinois - birthplace of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton
Indiana - bunch of political losers

Illinois - Northwestern, my current place of study
Indiana - Purdue, my dad's alma mater... ok fine, tie, because we suck at sports, but purdue has a worse mascot (boilermakers? seriously?)

Illinois - FermiLab
Indiana - der... what's a particle accelemerator?

Ok I think I've made my point. NE IL vs. NE IN... just cross the boundary. I have jell-o.. the sugar-free kind..

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx

Archeopteryx wrote:

Quote:

(Because I was naked.)

It's a good thing you taught me how to be an internet predator. Now I can respond to this appropriately!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA oh man I can't stop laughing!! Wait so which of the two things are you doing... trying to track down where I live?

Archeopteryx wrote:

I would have torn the page out of the dictionary and turned that it around on them.

If only I had your wit...

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Illinois

greek goddess wrote:

Illinois - sophisticated citizens (well, at least in the northern half)
Indiana - rednecks

Haha, a harsh generalization, but like IL, we're not without our fair share.

Quote:

Illinois - home of one of the largest metropolitan areas of the country.
Indiana - ????

Home of the amish!

And the Indy 500, but who gives a shit.

Quote:

Illinois - Way hotter girls
Indiana -

You're only saying that because you live there.

Quote:

Illinois - Home of the way awesome Cubs! (who lost their season opener, but nvm)
Indiana - uhhh baseball?

Indiana doesn't really care about baseball. If you were from Indiana you would know that the sport you are SUPPOSED to care about is basketball.

Quote:

Illinois - DA BULLS!
Indiana - Well, the Pacers actually did better than the bulls this year, so I'll concede you a point.

Oh, let me clarify that last statement.

College basketball. I see all kinds of basketball fanatics in IU shirts, but I don't think I have seen ONE pacers shirt in my life.

Quote:

Illinois - DA BEARS!
Indiana - why'd you have to beat us in the freaking super bowl? Well the Colts are playing the Bears in the 2008 opener so we'll see who's on top very soon... for now I will give you another point.

We did? Sorry, I was over here not giving a shit either way. =]

Quote:

Indiana - You don't.

We have a town named "French Lick".

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quote:

Illinois - Home of Abe Lincoln
Indiana - um?

David Letterman! =D

Quote:

Illinois - birthplace of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton
Indiana - bunch of political losers

yeah, more or less.

Quote:

Illinois - Northwestern, my current place of study
Indiana - Purdue, my dad's alma mater... ok fine, tie, because we suck at sports

The sentiments in Indiana tend to be fiercely divided between PU and IU. The rivalry is pervasive.

Then there is BSU, which is like the little brother that wants to play, too, but nobody is really paying attention to him.

Quote:

Illinois - FermiLab
Indiana - der... what's a particle accelemerator?

Here's the thing. You want to know why there aren't any smart people in Indiana?

Because all the smart people that are in Indiana are smart enough to GET THE FUCK OUT.

If you lived in Indiana, you would have heard this joke by now. =]

Quote:

Ok I think I've made my point. NE IL vs. NE IN... just cross the boundary. I have jell-o.. the sugar-free kind..

There's always room for Jell-O!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHHAHA oh man I can't stop laughing!! Wait so which of the two things are you doing... trying to track down where I live?

SUSPENSE!!! You like it.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:I don't

Archeopteryx wrote:

I don't think I have seen ONE pacers shirt in my life.

Really? I suppose that's true from the little time I've spent in your state. But wow, even my boyfriend has a Pacers hat. They're his second-favorite basketball team, behind the Rockets. And he's from Virginia (north VA, as he likes to make clear)

Archeopteryx wrote:

The sentiments in Indiana tend to be fiercely divided between PU and IU. The rivalry is pervasive.

I've noticed. My dad went to Purdue. His brother went to IU.

Archeopteryx wrote:

You want to know why there aren't any smart people in Indiana?

Because all the smart people that are in Indiana are smart enough to GET THE FUCK OUT.

haha nice.

btw, what's your favorite jell-o flavor? Mine's green!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Really?

greek goddess wrote:

Really? I suppose that's true from the little time I've spent in your state. But wow, even my boyfriend has a Pacers hat. They're his second-favorite basketball team, behind the Rockets. And he's from Virginia (north VA, as he likes to make clear)

Just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean there aren't people wearing them, I guess. I tend to not care much about sporting events either way, so my apathy could lead to some kind of merchandise blindness...?

Quote:

I've noticed. My dad went to Purdue. His brother went to IU.

Ah, then you've probably had to suffer through the same annoying episodes... sitting in a chair... IU fanatic on your right... PU fanatic on your left... going on and on above you, back and forth, all while you sit there wondering when they'll drop it already.

Quote:

My favorite Jell-O flavor is jiggly!

If you think jiggly isn't a flavor, then you haven't been tasting hard enough!

btw, did you know that the average temperature of a toilet in a public bathroom is cold enough that if you had, say, a gallon jug full of boiled jello mixture ready to go... heh... heh heh... heh...

*wanders about, writhing his hands and cackling*

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx

Archeopteryx wrote:

Quote:

My favorite Jell-O flavor is jiggly!

If you think jiggly isn't a flavor, then you haven't been tasting hard enough!

Just like if you don't think there's a god, you must not be believing hard enough... makes so much sense.

But yes, I prefer my jell-o jiggly as well.

Archeopteryx wrote:

btw, did you know that the average temperature of a toilet in a public bathroom is cold enough that if you had, say, a gallon jug full of boiled jello mixture ready to go... heh... heh heh... heh...

That's disgusting. Think of the poor janitors.

Oh and since we're bringing in quotes from non-RRS sources...

Matt wrote:

Jello brings me closer to god

and by god I mean mouth orgasm

Never fear. It will happen once we invent sour jell-oooo!!!!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Just

greek goddess wrote:

Just like if you don't think there's a god, you must not be believing hard enough... makes so much sense.

Of course it does. God is jello.

This is what they call "Truth" with a capital T.

Quote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

That's disgusting. Think of the poor janitors.

Yeah, I know. Some friends and I were going to do it for a high school prank, but we just loved our janitors so much that we couldn't. But while it was in the planning phase, its covert title was "Operation Cosby".

Quote:

Oh and since we're bringing in quotes from non-RRS sources...

Matt wrote:

Jello brings me closer to god

and by god I mean mouth orgasm

Never fear. It will happen once we invent sour jell-oooo!!!!

Haha, she remembers everything I say! Now I can't run for president next term!

Were you planted? Who's paying you? Is it the Clintons?

And don't give me any of that "it depends on what you mean by 'is'"!!!

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you ever feel guilty for

Do you ever feel guilty for wasting bandwidth on Jell-O?

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:God is

Archeopteryx wrote:

God is jello.

This is what they call "Truth" with a capital T.

hmm tell me more about this Truth. Does it also involve bananas?

Archeopteryx wrote:

Were you planted? Who's paying you? Is it the Clintons?

And don't give me any of that "it depends on what you mean by 'is'"!!!

No, it doesn't hinge on the definition of "is" but rather on the definition of "it."

and "the."

and "Clintons."

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:hmm tell

greek goddess wrote:

hmm tell me more about this Truth. Does it also involve bananas?

No, no, no. Bananas are natural. Only the wisdom of God could have led to the scrumptiousness of Jello-O! It quivers like a lover's body at one's touch, as hungry to be devoured as those who would devour it! The incriminating scent of its juices clings to the fingertips for hours! When finally consumed, it passes through the lips with a seductive squish and submits to the ever-eager tongue....

*soft panting*

o_O

shikko
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

May I introduce you to the tireless friend of both the thoracic surgeon and coroner, the rib spreader:

That should help with cardiac vision.  Err, unless it's yours.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:greek

Archeopteryx wrote:

greek goddess wrote:

Indiana - You don't.

We have a town named "French Lick".

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

MISPRONOUNCED, NON-ENGLISH CITY NAMES

Illinois: Marseilles, Bourbonnais and Cairo.  The first is pronounced "mar-SAILS", the second "bourbon ACE" and the last "kay-ro" like the corn syrup.

Indiana: Terre Haute, pronounced "tair-hoat".

STATE ARMPIT

Illinois: Chicago's southwestern burbs and Joliet.

Indiana: Gary/Hammond.

CITY NAME TRANSLATIONS

Chicago: "I shit" in Sicilian

Indianapolis: "Indiana City"

(OK, you got us beat on that one)

DISTANCE TO NEW JERSEY

Chicago IL: 781 miles.

Indiannapolis IN: 664 miles.

RESULTS

SUCK IT, Hoosiers!!!

--

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Indiana: Terre

shikko wrote:

Indiana: Terre Haute, pronounced "tair-hoat".

Oh, good. I was pronouncing correctly. =]

(Granted, most people don't. My favorite mispronunciation is "Tair-uh-hoot" ).

Quote:

DISTANCE TO NEW JERSEY

Chicago IL: 781 miles.

Indiannapolis IN: 664 miles.

RESULTS

SUCK IT, Hoosiers!!!

PERCENTAGE OF POPULATION THAT CLAIM RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION:

IL: 52%

IN: 42.4%

Ouch. =]

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: No, no,

Archeopteryx wrote:

No, no, no. Bananas are natural. Only the wisdom of God could have led to the scrumptiousness of Jello-O! It quivers like a lover's body at one's touch, as hungry to be devoured as those who would devour it! The incriminating scent of its juices clings to the fingertips for hours! When finally consumed, it passes through the lips with a seductive squish and submits to the ever-eager tongue....

*soft panting*

o_O

This was maybe the most disturbing post I've ever read on RRS. You really, really, really need to get laid, Matt. When you start fantasizing about Jell-O, you know you have a problem.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do believe that was a

I do believe that was a burn.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:shikko

Archeopteryx wrote:

shikko wrote:

RESULTS

SUCK IT, Hoosiers!!!

PERCENTAGE OF POPULATION THAT CLAIM RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION:

IL: 52%

IN: 42.4%

Ouch. =]

Oh, so we're playing rough, eh? *fisticuffs*

--

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

*soft panting*

o_O

This was maybe the most disturbing post I've ever read on RRS. You really, really, really need to get laid, Matt. When you start fantasizing about Jell-O, you know you have a problem.

Don't judge our love.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:Don't

Archeopteryx wrote:

Don't judge our love.

But it clearly says in the Bible "Whosoever shall lie with Jell-O as he would lie with a woman shall be considered unclean for seven days: it is abomination. Upon his third offense of lying with Jell-O he shall be cut off from his people."

I'm just trying to protect you from hell!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

Archeopteryx wrote:

Don't judge our love.

But it clearly says in the Bible "Whosoever shall lie with Jell-O as he would lie with a woman shall be considered unclean for seven days: it is abomination. Upon his third offense of lying with Jell-O he shall be cut off from his people."

I'm just trying to protect you from hell!

I don't need protection! At least not that kind.