A message from a "Friend" of mine

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
A message from a "Friend" of mine

So I posted the video of Rook giving a lecture on Jesus Mythicism on myspace (lol) and I got a ton of people calling me retarded, but I enjoyed this reply the most.

 

" The Jewish beliefs are based off the old testimont which talks about their coming Saviour. Christianity is from after the Saviour of the Jewish beliefs coming and feeling it's prophecy and dieing on the cross for our sins to be forgiven. Just to clear that up a bit with the constant arguement with the differences of Jews and Chrsitians. Jews just don't accept or believe that Jesus was the prophet or saviour. The 12 disciples most ended up being killed except Paul after Jesus' Death. Now you tell me who is willing to suffer and die for a lie like that?

Historical fact can be denied and looked at or represented as fiction or whatever by anyone. Does this mean someone just wrote the Bible and claimed it as fact? No. Try to show me what is wrong about the Bible.

Myths, Dinosaurs can be easily categorized as myth but will not because of the many fossils left behind and we can see them with our own eyes and feel them. Many people wonder who killed them or what killed them the truth is we killed them as civilation grows the wild life or threat dies off. Do you recall dragons? Why would they make similar looking like myth as to the real dinosaur? Maybe because they fought them before and used the word Dragon to describe them.

Religion, why is it if you read most religions they have a similar link to the Bible? Making tons of counterfeits or altered likeness religions would help create confussion, questions, and more. The thing is to identify the real one which you must see the wrong in each one and the right one wil stand out. Have you been to other cultures and religions talking about a world flood? Did you know there is a lot of proof that there once a giant flood? The world used to be covered with protective Ice which help things grow, humans last longer, etc... Maybe I'll get more into later, but think of the Ice Age as a possibility mistaken for that period or the flood? Looking at a Mammoths who froze not over a period of time but instantly as an instant climate change causing it to freeze while trying to feed itself. Sample of the Ice melting and causing a world flood easily.

Now, I remember you mentioned once before about Religion being the real cause for horror in the world, but is it really? Some religions or cults "who use a altered religion or made up one" have caused some horror, wars, or deaths but why? What is the religion? What is the purpose of the Religion? Nations were created by Religion, Law was created by Religion, Family was the first form of government which was made by religion. How is family created by religion and simple non-human benefits, I'll explain later on.

Now think a real world seeing the whole world as no religion, no beliefs, no god, both without history of religion and removing religion all together as of today. I gurantee you that you will see crimes increase, laws be ignored and changed for the worse, pregnancy and rape will sky rocket, rebellions, murder, riots, suicides, depression, disrespect, disobedence, etc... will happen because it's human nature to want to do it and without guilt which really why would someone have guilt if there is no sin? Try to describe right from wrong and how can it be valid due to no real absolute one being to say it. You couldn't say I raped someone and I'm wrong for it because that wouldn't be valid truth because it's human nature to desire it, right? You couldn't form a government or a stable nation because of it. The benefit of human species? How many people would say screw that and live their own life the way they want to without laws or restrictions because this is all they got before they're gone forever.

Pack hunters favorable arguement but still think about it there still wouldn't be guilt or remorse it just be benefitting ourselves. What about love? No other creature on earth has the emotions of love like we do and why is that, comrade.

Evolution fact or theory?
Evolution is in fact a THEORY! Many people want you to believe that it is a fact, but in reality it's just a theory in scientific defining theory from fact. Nothing has been proven to be actual fact. I don't think scientist are bad guys or anything like that and I think science actually proves more and more that there is a God and people around me assure it to me even you. Look at the Human body and how complicated our body works and why are we the only ones on this earth who can think like us? "Don't try aliens dude lol I said earth and no proof of aliens are there =p"

The Big Bang theory is like looking at Vegas and math. You have only one chance again ONLY ONE CHANCE of it happening and the odds are so highly against it in math. Everything that happened in it is 1 out of billion the big bang happen one of out a billion a planet was created, and keep going on and on and on. The thing is it's like 1/ so many numbers there's not even a number I could put on it. It's just impossible no matter what.

I find hiliarious how sone sciencetist or people try to disprove God by using science vs miracles and bible events. All they can argue on how it may have been done because a God who knows all, created all, and knows the future and every living being to the very blood cell you would automatically think that he would already know that and what needs to be done and how to do it or create it Himself to do it. Just my opinion on that =]

Anyways, if there was no God then why are atheist, etc... are so determined to remove religion? What would be the problem of people living a moral life? I agree some religions are bad but I can't deal absolute removal of them. Just a question I've had for you guys =p"

 

I don't feel like replying to him, it makes no difference, I have learned that you actually CANNOT pound logic though their "Jesus Box".

 

Bummer

- Josh


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Evolution is in fact a

Quote:

Evolution is in fact a THEORY

This is correct. In scientific terminology, a theory means a concept which is based upon a preponderance of facts which are used to explain and predict phenomenon and is concomitant with other theories which in turn are testable and make predictions upon which such tests are based. To say that something is a "theory" in a scientific context is to simply say it has been proven, and this is not the same as the layman understanding of a theory as an educated guess.

Quote:

Look at the Human body and how complicated our body works and why are we the only ones on this earth who can think like us? "

This is an argument from incredulity. This has nothing to do with a critique of evolution. Evolution is the process by which descent with modification produces different organisms from a common lineage. We have extremely detailed natural explanations for the manner in which this occurs, and this includes for the human body as well as other organisms and devices found in biology. "It is so complex" is not an argument against evolution since evolution is not a chance process and by definition can and does produce extremely complex structures. As the geneticist James Watson put it "evolution is smarter than you are". You are obvious unfamiliar with evolution yet for some reason think yourself an authority on the matter. You are not. You are ignorant. When you are versed in molecular, developmental, microbial and anatomical biology, as well as genetics and evolutionary biology, you can make an informed judgement on whether the theory of evolution is sufficient to explain the human body and other organisms (it is). Until then, you are simply making an argument from your own ignorance and concomitant argument from incredulity.

Let me demonstrate to you your own ignorance:

Give me the single sentence, working scientific definition of evolution employed in biology. Do not use Wikipedia.

Exactly. You cannot. Since you cannot, you know absolutely nothing about that which you are meant to be critiquing.  Now, you can come back grovelling, apologize for your own ignorance, and I will tell you the exact definition.

Quote:

The Big Bang theory is like looking at Vegas and math

How do you know that? Are you a trained physicist or cosmologist? You haven't even defined the Big Bang. I shall ask you the same question (which again, I know the answer to): Do you know the working scientific definition of the Big Bang, in one sentence, used by Cosmologists? You haven't justified your assertion pertaining to the chance or lack therof of the BB occuring. You do not even know what BB theory says. Hence, you cannot argue against it because you don't even know what you are arguing against. You are not versed in BB theory. You should not comment on that which your knowledge is nonexistent. You should not display the Dunning-Kruger Effect. In fact, unless you are knowledgeable on the subject, you shouldn't really pretend you are. In short, stop talking.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
What a twatwaffle. All sorts

What a twatwaffle. All sorts of nonsense and incorrect facts. By the way as to who would die for a false belief:

Jonestown

Heaven's Gate cult

Solar temple cult

Branch Davidians

Moslem Suicide bombers

Willing Aztec/Inca sacraficial victims

Buddhist monks setting themselves on fire in Vietnam

 

 

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Dray
Posts: 68
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:What a

MattShizzle wrote:

What a twatwaffle. All sorts of nonsense and incorrect facts. By the way as to who would die for a false belief:

... 

Yea, they are incorrect... but once again a theist falling back on the NTS fallacy:

Josh's handicapped "friend" wrote:

Now, I remember you mentioned once before about Religion being the real cause for horror in the world, but is it really? Some religions or cults "who use a altered religion or made up one" have caused some horror, wars, or deaths but why?

An altered or made-up religion? Couldn't be that Christianity is one of those altered and made up religions? No, never!


HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
Posts: 675
Joined: 2008-02-27
User is offlineOffline
HAHA!

 

Sidenote: Twatwaffle definitely needs a picture made in its honor.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Do you recall dragons

No not really. What an ill-informed, naive, bunch of bullshit. So much lack of knowledge in one little brain.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
Evolution a guess? LOL

Anyways, today in my speech class I had to ask the class a question of my choice so of course, I picked "Do you support the theory of evolution" ... not a single student (or the teacher) said yes. A few said "50/50" whatever that means. About 4 out of 30 said "NO! I believe in GOD!" ... I didn't ask about God stupid.

 

lol, anyways we have one more speech to do and it's a persuasive... I'm totally going to do it on evolution or something along these lines. . .

 

I guess this is what ignorance you get when you live in Texas, yay bible belt.

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
On the bright side he didn't

On the bright side he didn't bring up Hitler. Though after 'just a theory" and Argument from Fine Tuning, it can't get much worse

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:Anyways,

Josh Clarke wrote:
Anyways, today in my speech class I had to ask the class a question of my choice so of course, I picked "Do you support the theory of evolution" ... not a single student (or the teacher) said yes.

You're seriously scaring me. Is this a joke?

Josh Clarke wrote:
lol, anyways we have one more speech to do and it's a persuasive... I'm totally going to do it on evolution or something along these lines. . .

Check out Ken Miller - he does a great job explaining evolution to a theistic audience.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!

Haha, Yeah I'm being serious, this is the shit I have to deal with on a daily basis. My family always tells me how sad they are for me. The funny thing is, I LOVE being an atheist. I'm happy so much more often, because I can think freely without feeling like if I dwell onto some subjects I will be punished. It's like being freed from a mental slavery. I read a quote on someones post on this website that said "Religion is like virginity, you don't realize how annoying it is untill you lose it.", and my friends myspace quote is " "The church is like an overprotective parent. It can help some people some times, but it can stifle the freedom of the capable, so, if you are able, you should emancipate yourself." " (No source cited, but it's not his... I guess unknown?". What is so funny to me is that like, 30% of the class wasn't even sure what I was talking about, 50% got mad, 20% didn't want to answer, and 10% said "50/50"... I'm pretty sure NONE of them actually know what the theory actually states... Thats like if I decided to go argue a physics theory with Stephen hawking and I told him he was wrong. (not saying that i'm the Stephen Hawking of evolutionary theory, i'm not.). Driving around my town, you see three crosses EVERYWHERE saying "HE HAS RISEN" on the middle one. THAT is what I have to live with. People won't listen to anything I say, I have lost a few "friends" because I told them I was atheist and they asked why so I told them... according to them, Satan has control of my mind and is fueling me with evil thoughts... thats pretty badass.

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!


greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
Posts: 361
Joined: 2008-01-26
User is offlineOffline
Ditto for me too! I'm much

Ditto for me too! I'm much happier being an atheist - I think it's because I've stopped hurting my brain trying to reconcile the existence of God and the existence of evolution, natural disasters, etc. etc. I'm not scared of living my life anymore, and not intimidated by hell talk. It's kind of like breathing a giant sigh of relief.

I'm sorry that your town is so religious, but hey, at least you have us!


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Ditto

greek goddess wrote:
Ditto for me too! I'm much happier being an atheist - I think it's because I've stopped hurting my brain trying to reconcile the existence of God and the existence of evolution, natural disasters, etc. etc. I'm not scared of living my life anymore, and not intimidated by hell talk. It's kind of like breathing a giant sigh of relief.

I've written it before, but I experienced the same enormous relief. The first time I watched Sam Harris on YouTube, I just started laughing. Then came the relief.

greek goddess wrote:
I'm sorry that your town is so religious, but hey, at least you have us!

It's strange, but this forum really ends up being a support group a lot of the time, doesn't it?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
Yeah!

This forum is pretty much amazing. I was a gold member for awhile, but I just can't afford it right now Sad

 

I am going to college, working 3 jobs (WHERES THE MONEY LOL) Gas is only $3.25 where I live in Texas, i'm sure it's worse for some of you guys, one of my jobs is commission, the other is kind of commission I get paid WHILE working but I have to get people to buy personal training in order to get work ($15/hr while working), my most stable job is a Vet Tech. getting a weak ass $8/hr and I have been with the SAME guy for almost 3 years. How gay is that?

 

I WILL donate when I have it. Laughing out loud

 

I have dabbled with the idea of trying to get people to view these forums (i.e. Posting the link around town everywhere, like church doors Laughing out loud, and other stuff), but I don't want to put alot of litter and such out there because them people will pick up the litter to see the link and assume we are bad people for putting trash everywhere.

 

Basically all I ever get when I start trying to talk to people about religion is "I'M WRITE, YOU'RE WRONG!!!" ... They won't even listen to what I have to say, sometimes I am nice with it.

 

A friend of mines girlfriend had NEVER heard of Natural Selection, but she told me there is "NO WAY WE CAME FROM MONKEYS!" ... Noone claimed that we came from monkeys did they? I thought it was a "common ancestor" and I think I even read/saw something about "Human Genome #2" which accounted for the 2 chromosome difference between us and the apes. Something about 2 of them fusing together. I can't remember where I heard this though... I think it was some guy named Kent something... I want to remember because I want to use it in a speech i'm preparing for my speech class (Captive Theist Audience FOR THE WIN!).

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:A friend

Josh Clarke wrote:

A friend of mines girlfriend had NEVER heard of Natural Selection, but she told me there is "NO WAY WE CAME FROM MONKEYS!" ... Noone claimed that we came from monkeys did they? I thought it was a "common ancestor" 

Ya I had a argument about this on sat. Humans and monkeys had a common answer is the very short answer I believe. Of course, even when you tell a theist that, they will stick their fingers in their ears and believe they're more qualified to criticise evolution than scientists who actually study it. They will usually cite some christian DVD/website as irrefutable proof.

On the other note, this site is totally like my support group.My life would be completely overwhelmed with theistic influences without it.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:I can't

Josh Clarke wrote:

I can't remember where I heard this though... I think it was some guy named Kent something... I want to remember because I want to use it in a speech i'm preparing for my speech class (Captive Theist Audience FOR THE WIN!).

Ken Miller, who is actually himself a theist, which makes him a great source.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
:D

Ha thanks! I think I'm going to try and be gentile while delivering this speech, and try not to relate it to religion at all... Even though the first thing most people think of when you say evolution is "GOD MADE ME!". This will be a fun one.

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!


Megatron
Superfan
Posts: 35
Joined: 2008-11-10
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:Haha, Yeah

Josh Clarke wrote:

Haha, Yeah I'm being serious, this is the shit I have to deal with on a daily basis. My family always tells me how sad they are for me. The funny thing is, I LOVE being an atheist. I'm happy so much more often, because I can think freely without feeling like if I dwell onto some subjects I will be punished. It's like being freed from a mental slavery. I read a quote on someones post on this website that said "Religion is like virginity, you don't realize how annoying it is untill you lose it.", and my friends myspace quote is " "The church is like an overprotective parent. It can help some people some times, but it can stifle the freedom of the capable, so, if you are able, you should emancipate yourself." " (No source cited, but it's not his... I guess unknown?". What is so funny to me is that like, 30% of the class wasn't even sure what I was talking about, 50% got mad, 20% didn't want to answer, and 10% said "50/50"... I'm pretty sure NONE of them actually know what the theory actually states... Thats like if I decided to go argue a physics theory with Stephen hawking and I told him he was wrong. (not saying that i'm the Stephen Hawking of evolutionary theory, i'm not.). Driving around my town, you see three crosses EVERYWHERE saying "HE HAS RISEN" on the middle one. THAT is what I have to live with. People won't listen to anything I say, I have lost a few "friends" because I told them I was atheist and they asked why so I told them... according to them, Satan has control of my mind and is fueling me with evil thoughts... thats pretty badass.

Josh, you're Satan!  You are teh rulor of teh wurld!!!!!

Anyway, I'm a friend of Josh.  The area we live in is hardcore creationist.  My high school biology teacher wanted to teach the theory of creation to the class, and a few students eagerly and willingly brought videos describing the view of creation.  I have lost one friend due to my lack of Christianity.  She hit me and walked away in a huff.  I'm waiting to tell my mom, who will likely fall dead on the floor (she attends bible study, goes to church, tries to talk me about the bible, etc.).  I love this website.  I love posting here.  Thanks.

Evolution cannot be debated. 'Tis real.


Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
Posts: 107
Joined: 2008-01-27
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah dude that sucks. I

 Yeah dude that sucks. I have a friend that told his mom he was an atheist and ever since then she won't say "I love you" and she is always insulting his intelligence (even though we are both in a prestigious premedical program at a good liberal arts college). P.s. have you seen the new Rick Perry ad "stronger?"

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!