Asperger's, Atheism, and Me

CommonSense4Me
CommonSense4Me's picture
User is offlineOffline
Asperger's, Atheism, and Me

Greetings! My name is Melanie, aka CommonSense4Me @ RRS and MDSAL4 @ JustinTV/Stickam. I have been an atheist my entire life, although I was dragged to church until I was teen. The growing argument that Atheists are naturally autistic is very offensive to me. As a young woman with a legitimate Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis, I feel this is heavy discrimination both from the 1st Amendment standpoint and the ADA act. Below are some of the religious right articles out there now. http://voxday.blogspot.com/2007/08/socially-autistic-atheist.html http://www.evangelicaloutpost.com/archives/003882.html http://29marbles.blogspot.com/2007/02/religious-belief-and-perceptions-of.html I really appreciate the efforts of RRS, Atheists for Autism Research, and other freethinkers attack these ideas, and fight for rational responses to a legitimate disorder. Looking forward to developing friendships on here.

Melanie
CommonSense4Me/MDSAL4
Asperger's & Mental Health rational advocate
Geriatric rational advocate

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle! I was

Welcome to the hizzle! I was diagnosed with asperger's last summer (at 33!) Though I suspected I had it a few years back - pretty much as soon as I heard of it. Though Vox Day is an asshat, there may be some truth - as people with Asperger's do place a higher value on logic that neurotypicals.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad you're here,

Glad you're here, CommonSense4Me! I'm an Aspie, too.

Ahh, Vox Day. It would be difficult to find a more total example of self-impressed megalomania. His chosen name alone lets me know he's not worth much effort (Vox dei, ferpittiessake! It doen't get any more arrogant than that).

The other side of the coin: I think there is a far, far greater subset of Aspies who are atheists that there is a subset of neurotypicals who are - because with the reduced social 'instincts' we tend to be less attached to the need to be normal. Plus, as Matt mentioned, a greater number of Aspies tend to lean toward being rational as well.

You are right, however, that the claims being made that atheists are autistic (as opposed to the more correct "autistics tend to be atheists" - making atheism a 'disease', yet another attempt at demonization) is bad prejudice. Probably not illegal unless being actively acted upon in a manner legally defined as such. Unethical, to be sure. Also quite disgusting.

I am very much loking forward to hearing more from you on this subject, and others too!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On a side note, I'm still

On a side note, I'm still pissed how long it too for me to get diagnosed - all the signs were there as a child. Especially how unknown Asperger's was until VERY recently - I only ever heard of it maybe 3 years ago - which was more than 7 years after earning a BS in Psychology. Even looked back in my psych books - it was never mentioned once in any of them. All from the early to mid 1990s.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Maybe they're right.  I've

Maybe they're right.  I've got Aspergers too. lol

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also posses symptoms of

I also posses symptoms of Aspergers/Autism. Dislike of eye contact, obsessions over particular subject areas, a need for some things to be done a certain way, always following pavement (sidewalk to you lot) patterns with my feet (whilst pretending to walk normally). Its very mild, and I have no diagnosis of the condition, and nor do I particularly want to get diagnosed.

I was diagnosed as dyspraxic aged 5 and dyslexic aged 19. Both these conditions are of the same type as Autistic spectrum conditions (neuro diverse), and there's usually cross over of symptoms, since essentially all are caused by the same neurological defect (its insufficient development of the stuff that coats the neurones). They are classified by their symptoms, not by the causes of the symptoms.

I've found though, that thinking of myself as aspergian makes things worse for me, when I first discovered my similarities with the condition it magnified them and my behaviour became more and more autistic-like for a time. I'm not naturally socially inept but the more I saw myself in that light, the more socially awkward I became.

I do think that neuro-diverse people are more likely to be more rational, and less likely to stick to social norms, well those of us who are clever (I've met some pretty stupid dyslexics in my time). Maybe there are statistics on this I don't know, and nor do I really care all that much, because I think at the end of it, its just a small part of who we are, and there are clearly neuro-typical atheists too.

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
I probably qualify as

I probably qualify as borderline Aspergerish. I don't like social interaction even though I've had to work in a job (motel management) that doesn't really suit my personality. I try to avoid eye contact (a number of women have told me that I seem "cold"  probably because I have a flat affect), and I don't like having my routines disrupted. I also find a lot of "ordinary" human behavior really foolish, especially when it involves religion, celebrities, sports or politics. I don't consider my impaired ability to infer the existence of other minds a handicap because, frankly, most people don't have minds worth making inferences about. (The philosopher David Hume on his deathbed pointed out the absurdity of postulating an afterlife for all the no-account commoners in the world who, for example, get drunk every morning. I can understand his attitude.)

I certainly don't see the need to infer the existence of a god's mind based on the bible because that god doesn't sound intelligent or interesting to me.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's just silly, I'm HFA

That's just silly, I'm HFA and a THEIST!

glug glug glug... goes their little boat.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Melanie, hope you

Welcome Melanie, hope you enjoy your stay here.

I also find the "all atheist have Asperger/Autism" arguments to be highly offensive, not only to the people who truly have Asperger, but because it is a masked cheap shot at calling atheism a decease. The god gene can do as much for theist beliefs, and it actually have some scientific merit to it.

I also have some mild Asperger symptoms: I dislike social interaction to a degree, I cannot stand being in a crowd, was unable to withstand eye contact and was socially awkward growing up, both of these I could control thanks to therapy, and I goddamn hate when people mess with my routine. Seriously.

I first found out about Asperger when I was attending my first years at the Faculty of Psychology (great, now I have the answer for the chumps calling me weirdo back at mid and high school). One of my best friends and colleague found out years latter of it and actually started teasing me about it. She does it to this day. Good thing her boyfriends give me enough material to zing back .

Anyway, welcome, kick back, and enjoy yourself.

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would suspect that since

I would suspect that since Autism is a disorder in socialization, that autistic people would be against going along with the social norms. So in America, that would mean being anti-theist, since the social/tribal/parental pressure is to be a theist. In a communist/atheist society, I would suspect autistic people would tend to be more anticommunist/theist since this would be against the social norm.

I think that disorders are a problem of balance. The goal for a healthy life should be a balance between socialization and individualism. Religion depends on people seeking the approval of others(parents, peers, members of opposite sex) in order to get people to go along with nutty ideas.

Seems to me like excessively religious people have the opposite disorder as autism. They mainly seek the approval of others, their main goal is acceptance by the group. They give up their identity, ideas and beliefs to gain acceptance from others. They do so even to the detriment of their own well being or sometimes life as in the case of Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, Islamic Jihadists. This hyper-socialization should be classified as a disorder just as is autism.

Since autistic people seek self approval self amusement and often live in their own little world, social acceptance/approval for religious "belief" would not be import to them.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Before you posted, this

Before you posted, Eloise, this topic was rife with irony.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I would suspect

EXC wrote:

I would suspect that since Autism is a disorder in socialization, that autistic people would be against going along with the social norms.

I was a self procaimed theist for the first 30 years of my life.  I didn't start questioning it until I was 24 when I had an argument with another christian over whether salvation could be lost or not.  After realizing that verses in the bible were contradictory and could be taken to mean different things, I put down the bible and started thinking about my religion.  As the years went by it made less and less sense.

Finally I could no longer believe in it.  Becoming an atheist doesn't mean you have to break from your peers.  You can still act like you are a theist.  However, if you want to know the real truth people need to stop lieing to themselves and really think on their religion.

If I hadn't of done that I would still be a christian with Asperger's.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't jump on the

I can't jump on the Aspergers bandwagon with it's mixed bag of assets and liabilities.  I was blessed with Avoidant Personality Disorder ( AvPD ).  There is no aspergian " I'm a quirky genius" benefit to this disorder.  It just totally fucks you up emotionally. 

As far as religious associations are concerned, I was just as affected by this disorder when I was still a Jesus nut hugger ( ie, a Christian ) and nothing has changed since I abandoned my faith. 

As far as an association between Aspergers and atheism..who knows ?   Unlike you "aspergians"  my mind is dominated by pure emotion  and yet this liability did not prevent me from seeing the  folly of my Christian beliefs.

(ps, fuck the world and every one in it..... )

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Before

LosingStreak06 wrote:

But she's an unusual Theist in that she choose her own unique belief system. Her belief doesn't seem to be affected by peer or social pressure, right Eloise?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Welcome melanie!  It looks

Welcome melanie!  It looks like im the one not in the "NORM" here... I  have no disorders that i know of and  i am very sociable. My knowledge is very limited in most areas but i know enough to know that religion is irrational!

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:LosingStreak06

EXC wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

But she's an unusual Theist in that she choose her own unique belief system. Her belief doesn't seem to be affected by peer or social pressure, right Eloise?

Er, well yeah.. I've basically been affected by peer pressure one time in my life, when I was about 12, and even then it was kind of a purely intellectual exercise that I acted that way at all. What you said above makes a lot of sense to me, EXC, what you call hypersociality, I've noticed too and it always looked like an even worse affliction than my own pleasantly stolid lonerism. I was 7 when I started to notice people lying to themselves and others and comprimising in all kinds of ways for it and I thought then that it's a very strange and sad affliction.  So I guess you're right, my beliefs are never really affected by social pressure, I like puzzles, if a social situation is a puzzle then I'm interested, otherwise,  Meh.

Edit: Also, just to mention, I wouldn't say that people on the autistic spectrum choose anything just in order to buck the rules, autism and rebellion aren't exactly synonymous. I'd say autistics ignore the social rules, rather than deliberately rebel against them, when your brain works like this you just kind of dismiss anything that doesn't add up or keep up with the deductive process. Things like social rules get boring and mundane very quickly, you'd much rather contemplate social patterns than bother with social rules, so to speak.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Finally I

Watcher wrote:

Finally I could no longer believe in it.  Becoming an atheist doesn't mean you have to break from your peers.  You can still act like you are a theist.  However, if you want to know the real truth people need to stop lieing to themselves and really think on their religion.

If I hadn't of done that I would still be a christian with Asperger's.

But I think most Christians indoctrinated from childhood have these same doubts with the bible and believing. The ones that stay with the religion consider social affirmation more important than being honest with yourself. It sounds like with you, self-affirmation was more important than social-affirmation. But I wouldn't say you this is necessarily a disorder unless you become so imbalanced that you just live your own world, unconcerned about socialization(i.e. extreme autism).

I've had the problem of either not giving a shit about others and their opinions and then being overly sensitive about the opinions of others and wanting to fit in to the group. One of appeals of Christianity was that people would accept you, be nice to you and not insult you as long as you went along with the religion and it's rules for behavior. As I've matured, I've learned the value of a balance between the extremes of self and social affirmation.

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's weird, my autism

That's weird, my autism quotient is 23, higher than average for males. Also the only other 2 atheist I know in real life has aspergers.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder where she's gone

I wonder where she's gone off to. Hey, CommonSense4Me, ya promised more posts! Sticking out tongue

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:I wonder

JillSwift wrote:

I wonder where she's gone off to. Hey, CommonSense4Me, ya promised more posts! Sticking out tongue

She's gone off into her own little world. (Sorry to offend, but just couldn't resist).

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Even if there is a link,

Even if there is a link, it's more likely that Asperger's Syndrome causes atheism not the other way around, but not every atheist has Asperger's Syndrome.

I'd be interested to know if other types of ASDs correlates.

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder what the numbers

I wonder what the numbers are for countries that are not the US.

Here is my hypothesis. I live in a very conservative area, on the edge of the bible belt. Since people with AS tend to be less driven to follow social norms and being an atheist in a conservative area will tend to make you lonelier and won't win you many friends, its easier for someone with AS to be openly atheist and easier for them to openly question.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Even if

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Even if there is a link, it's more likely that Asperger's Syndrome causes atheism not the other way around, but not every atheist has Asperger's Syndrome.

Bearing in mind I wasn't a supporter of the 'mind disorder' meme, I think the correlation bears some qualification. It could be by way of the more socially-acceptable or admirable traits of Asperger's Syndrome that an atheist stance might be arrived at; rather than letting the implication float by that atheism is an alienated and misanthropic stance. Someone with a grasp and unambiguous view of the scientific method, for instance, would not be able to -- outside of cognitive dissonance -- reconcile theology with their understanding of the world.

davemgood (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Incomplete logic...

My son-in-law has Asperger's. Though he's very good at parroting back any 'book smarts' that he picks up, he has only a partial clue about many things and draws very illogical conclusions - not always, but many times. I believe that many ppl with Asperger's are confined to their senses and are mostly bereft of abstract thought on many matters. Things that require a logical thought process become simply the parroting back of things learned. again, some, not all.

dave