Hey Whats up?

Swizzlerock88
User is offlineOffline
Hey Whats up?

I don't know if I'm an atheist. I sort of tripped over this website and liked the cut of all of your jibs. I guess I'll write some meandering nonsense about God and spirituality.

Sometimes I feel god. Not really during important things. Maybe if I just see a tree or hammer I'll get some odd feeling for a second. Thats god. I don't know it at the time but later if you asked me what the feeling was I would describe it as god. It's a flimsy excuse that somehow clicks for me on that spiritual level.

At the same time, ninety percent of the time I don't really believe in god at all. But sometimes I know he's there, even though I don't believe in him.

Whatever god is, even if its just a irrational human response to things we don't understand, that feeling is very real. Whatever that thing is, this benevolent force that people sometimes feel, it exists, ya dig?

I respect the level of debate in this forum. I want you to know that. I didn't even know this was a atheism site until after I joined. I just thought it could be fun to have a rational discussion. I don't really ever do that.

Swizzlerock88
User is offlineOffline
Is this in the wrong place?

Is this in the wrong place? Sorry if it is.  I'm sure theres an introductory portion to this forum but I'm still new to this.

chickensoup

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know what you mean by

I know what you mean by thinking you have felt God, but I would say it is not God, but more of a thought that becomes an emotion,, that becomes a physical feedback of said emotion, while trying to apply a greater meaning to that emotion. I have sensed what I would say is God back when I believed in God, but it could be a sensation you are not/will not able to directly identify with an appropriate moniker so you give it the name of God which is a non sequitir. I am not discounting this feeling, it can be powerful. I also get this feeling when I climb a mountain, reach the top, close my eyes and let the wind blow through my hair. It is like a small, peaceful jolt of energy just above your scalp, or zapping your body. I think it is a disservice to attribute the sensation to God, but rather acknowledge that you may have been witness to a peak experience of the human state of being. I would say it is not necessarily feeling God, but simultaneously recognizing many of the wondrous attributes of life and not being able to immediately comprehend the sensation and state of mind associated with it.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Basileo
User is offlineOffline
Is not god, just the life.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Swizzlerock88 wrote:I don't

Swizzlerock88 wrote:

I don't know if I'm an atheist.

Pretty easy to figure out:

Do you believe there is a god? You're a thiest

Do you not believe in any gods? You're an athiest

You could believe in a god but  not a personal one-you're a deist

If you believe that the universe is god-you're a pantheist(I think)

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
GOD = AWE , why make shit

GOD = AWE , why make shit up,  is the question ..... and the why I get pissed at religious people ..... and try to heal them .....

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Like iGod said (you'll get

Like iGod said (you'll get used to his particular turn of phrase) you were experiencing awe. You don't need an extra-personal invisible creature to experience awe. Nature is amazing. I usually find myself in awe going for walks in the arboretum near my apartment. All the different species and variation and plain amazingness of everything gives you a pretty unusual feeling.

Welcome to the forums.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Basileo wrote:Is not god,

Basileo wrote:

I think you mean "That's not god, just life" (it's a bit idiomatic)

Your first language is ... Italian, maybe? I learned βασιλευς "basileus" from Greek, but I think I've seen Basileo as an Italian last name.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Swizzlerock88
User is offlineOffline
Maybe god is awe. 

Maybe god is awe.