Another fucking [i]Dune[/i] adaptation.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another fucking [i]Dune[/i] adaptation.

http://imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

This may just be news to me.  Apologies all round if it ain't.  

Most fans of Herbert's original novel will never be completely satisfied with either of the previous cinematic adaptations.  David Lynch needlessly cranked up the weirdness (I seem to remember Baron Harkonnen eating Salacious Crumb at one point) and the Sci-Fi Channel did it on the cheap, recycling costumes from Xanadu--shout out to Hambydammit, by the way.  But both films had their good points, too.  Now, in the post-Peter Jackson world, where any Sci-Fi or Fantasy epic can get a hearing from a major studio, we get the news that Peter Berg, who seems from his IMDB profile to be more of a Jack of All Trades than a dedicated director, will be trotting out another theatrical version roundabout 2010.  

I'm not pleased.  This is a treasured book whose reputation has survived two adaptations that watered down its prescient treatment of religious and ecological matters. It finds new life with every generation of nerdy fourteen year olds, mass marketing notwithstanding.  While I don't want to speculate that a third adaptation will kill the integrity of the source, I think the source is accorded more respect than to be fiddled with eternally.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
duhn duhn duhn, and another classic bites the dust!

So, the new Speed Racer film is just about out, and now they're remaking Dune... again? Okay, folks, brace yourselves for the next wave: A live adaptation of the Punky Brewster cartoon and a whole mess of Martian Chronicles and Flash Gordon remakes.

Another try at Dune is just going to create a surge of Spice jokes, not to mention 7,300 new lolcats. I'm not sure the internets can take it!

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
For all that they still

For all that they still aren't making Ringworld or Stranger in a Strange Land movies. It's no fair! Those great stories deserve to be wrecked, torn, spindled, mutilated and spat onto a big screen too!

Imagine the LOLPierson's Puppeteers!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
muh... just remember... no

muh... just remember... no matter how bad Peter Berg fucks it up... Micheal Bay would have done worse >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the other possibility

Well, the other possibility is that no matter how much the new adaptation is butchered (I'm imagining Matrixesque slo-mo scenes of Paul doing kung-fu twists on top of sandworms....) it will expose many more people to the book, and the net result will be more people actually reading and understanding the complexities of it.

(Yeah... and monkeys might fly out of my butt.)

The only reasonable way for Dune to be made into a movie would be for it to be done in another country with absolutely no connection to Hollywood.  Any action in any of the Dune books is completely secondary to the real movement, which happens entirely in the brains of the characters.  Hollywood is incapable of producing a movie subtle enough to make that compelling.

The one good thing that is sure to come out of this is that I'm guaranteed to read all six books again to purge the new movie from my consciousness.  I never get tired of reading them.

Damn Dirty Ape, do you think Olivia Newton John would be available to play one of the Reverend Mothers?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I really didn't mind the

I really didn't mind the sci-fi adaption of the first 3 books...far from perfect, but not all that bad either.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Berg

He's an adequate actor, and a decent director, but definitely not someone like Ridley Scott who could do this project justice. Children of Dune on Scifi blew, but they made an okay attempt at telling the whole story in Scifi's Dune, except for for the low budget and stoic acting. Besides, who are you kidding Damndirtyape? You know practically everyone who responds to this thread is gonna watch it because I would say most are fans of Dune. While it is true that eternally fiddling with a good story may be not according the proper respect to its source, sometimes you have to go through some really crappy adaptations until you get something good. Example...Hamlet ala Kenneth Branagh. Peter Berg may not do this incarnation justice, but the source material is so good that I think someone eventually will give it its proper respect.

Sidenote: If we are discussing Scifi epics that need to be translated to the big screen, Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is most deserving.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember a few years back

I remember a few years back the Sci Fi channel practically blew a load in their pants whenever they were showing the 1980s Dune movie. That movie sucked all the cum out of every donkeys' dick on the planet.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:He's

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

He's an adequate actor, and a decent director, but definitely not someone like Ridley Scott who could do this project justice. Children of Dune on Scifi blew, but they made an okay attempt at telling the whole story in Scifi's Dune, except for for the low budget and stoic acting. Besides, who are you kidding Damndirtyape? You know practically everyone who responds to this thread is gonna watch it because I would say most are fans of Dune. While it is true that eternally fiddling with a good story may be not according the proper respect to its source, sometimes you have to go through some really crappy adaptations until you get something good. Example...Hamlet ala Kenneth Branagh. Peter Berg may not do this incarnation justice, but the source material is so good that I think someone eventually will give it its proper respect.

Sidenote: If we are discussing Scifi epics that need to be translated to the big screen, Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is most deserving.

Not saying I wouldn't see it.  Just that it's embarrassing to see this get a third try not a decade removed from the second try.  In the hands of an inexperienced director, there's a serious risk of the integrity of the book being undermined and I'd hate to see that happen

And I can't totally agree with you on Brannagh's Hamlet--it's not bad, but the half Hollywood/half RSC casting didn't serve it well--anyway, I think he peaked as a director with Henry V.

As for Olivia Newton John, all of the big epic trilogies of the past few years (the Star Wars prequels, the Tolkien movies, The Matrix movies) were shot in Australia or New Zealand, so they'd probably be legally required to use Olivia Newton John.  Kinda like how Canadian radio stations have to play 30% Canadian artists. 

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

shikko
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:For all that

JillSwift wrote:

For all that they still aren't making Ringworld or Stranger in a Strange Land movies. It's no fair! Those great stories deserve to be wrecked, torn, spindled, mutilated and spat onto a big screen too!

Imagine the LOLPierson's Puppeteers!

O HAI, I SEKRITLY MOULDED UR SOCIETYZ.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.