Fish in a Barrel

spumoni
Theist
spumoni's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish in a Barrel

Can someone tell me why you guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to attacking Christianity and defense of the faith?  Can you actually engage some well known people as opposed to all the whack jobs out there who claim to have a Christian ministry?  It doesn't bode well for the intellectual acumen.  Where is your discussions with Alvin Plantinga, William Lane Craig, J. P. Moreland, Ravi Zacharias, Doug Grouthuis, Tim Keller etc.?  Can't you get a seat at the table with this level of scholarship?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:Can someone

spumoni wrote:

Can someone tell me why you guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to attacking Christianity and defense of the faith?  Can you actually engage some well known people as opposed to all the whack jobs out there who claim to have a Christian ministry?  It doesn't bode well for the intellectual acumen.  Where is your discussions with Alvin Plantinga, William Lane Craig, J. P. Moreland, Ravi Zacharias, Doug Grouthuis, Tim Keller etc.?  Can't you get a seat at the table with this level of scholarship?

I dunno. I, for one, haven't tried. Other things in my life that matter more right now, like paying my bills and making sure my family is ok.

But I tell you what! Why don't you ask them to stop by? I know I, for one, would be happy to chat w/them here. Smiling

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

magilum
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

On the one hand, good suggestion.

On the other hand, there's no functional difference between good and bad apologetics. They may take different routes, but they all pass through the same fallacies.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it is really about

Well it is really about reaching a large number and variety of people. These "easy targets" are the ones who brainwash and hold the most people. I would say the majority aren't that interested in high-level debates. If they don't understand it, the arguments won't reach them.

You have to fight fire at the base.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

Because those types of people don't come to this website. RRS doesn't bill itself as a scholarly organization, but as a popular movement.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:Can't you get

spumoni wrote:

Can't you get a seat at the table with this level of scholarship?

Probably not. I think you need to have an invisible friend to join that club. As Dawkins puts it, I wouldn't know the first thing about the fineries of the emperor's many invisible garments.

They could take a shot a shot at writing in to the site if they like. Membership here is going up, as far as I can see. How are they doing at the invisible friend table?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

I can only speak for sure on Craig - he only takes on Ph.Ds

As for the others, the challenges have been given to some (I believe) with no response.

Are you needing the help, spumoni? Getting tired of the red-ass you get here?

Or are you just mad because the RRS dared to take on Cameron/Comfort after Kirk and Ray made the challenge?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spumoni, RRS has an open

Spumoni, RRS has an open invitation to any and all top notch apologists.  I've personally tried to get big wigs to do text debates with me, and nobody has ever gotten back to me.  The funny thing is, when you start talking to most apologists, they won't accept a debate invitation if it eliminates things like he-said-she-said and audience approval.

The bottom line is, only the bottom of the barrel are dumb enough to expose the weakness of their position.  The smart apologists know better.

Having said that, you can quote me on this:

RRS openly challenges any sufficiently top notch apologist (approved personally by spumoni) to a moderated text debate, either on this site or on a neutral site, provided there is a guarantee of no tampering with previous posts in any way, and that the full text will be available to the public for free, and can be reprinted by RRS in full on our website.

Happy?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The funny thing, spumoni, is

The funny thing, spumoni, is that if the Christians are right, these top notch apologists are damn near sinning by not coming to the website and debating us.  We're the biggest atheist site in the world.  If they could publicly embarrass us, think of the number of people who would go to heaven as a result!

{EDIT:  Ok... my final thought on this, and then I'm done until there's someone who wants to debate.  RRS is not interested in debating which version of the bible is a better translation, or how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.  We're atheists.  We want the best evidence out there that A) There is a god(s) and B) Humans have real, empirical evidence of its existence and C) God wants something from humanity.  This is my challenge to any and all apologists.}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The funny

Hambydammit wrote:

The funny thing, spumoni, is that if the Christians are right, these top notch apologists are damn near sinning by not coming to the website and debating us.  We're the biggest atheist site in the world.  If they could publicly embarrass us, think of the number of people who would go to heaven as a result!

{EDIT:  Ok... my final thought on this, and then I'm done until there's someone who wants to debate.  RRS is not interested in debating which version of the bible is a better translation, or how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.  We're atheists.  We want the best evidence out there that A) There is a god(s) and B) Humans have real, empirical evidence of its existence and C) God wants something from humanity.  This is my challenge to any and all apologists.}

There are at least a dozen members here who could take that challenge alone, so all of us against any or all of that group at once would be a slaughter. Just slaughter. I have yet to see an apologist argument that doesn't get shut down in a couple of posts. I'd say "bring it", but it wouldn't be much of a challenge, frankly.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:There are

HisWillness wrote:

There are at least a dozen members here who could take that challenge alone, so all of us against any or all of that group at once would be a slaughter. Just slaughter. I have yet to see an apologist argument that doesn't get shut down in a couple of posts. I'd say "bring it", but it wouldn't be much of a challenge, frankly.

Although I am humble, and believe my contributions would be minor, I think I could assist in the kicking of ass. I'd even do it drunk, just to give 'em a fighting chance. Well, and to be drunk, too. What's the point of being an alchoholic if you're not often drunk?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Scholars and tables

If you want "scholars", we have plenty of them here at RRS, FYI.

I don't consider a degree in theology to be a *real* degree and would give the owner of such a thing the total contempt and disrespect he or she deserves.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Served

The more people show up to this post, the more I realize how schooled those guys would get here. Schooled. It would end up as a published book, and the title would be "Crushed Dreams: Apologists Get Served on an Atheist Website"

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I mean, we only have experts

I mean, we only have experts in philosophy, psychology, mathematics, evolutionary biology, sociobiology, sociology, symbolic logic, cosmology, physics, astrophysics, contemporary history, ancient history, anthropology, and (ahem) theology.

What could someone with one of those amazing seminary degrees have to worry about?

Ok, in all seriousness, spumoni, we wouldn't expect any apologist to debate fifty different people.  If any of your incredibly awesome god-experts wants to come here, we'll heavily moderate the thread, deleting anything that is not from one of the agreed upon debate participants.

Books about atheism

spumoni
Theist
spumoni's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, so it seems you guys

Ok, so it seems you guys have not made enough waves to actually warrant a challenge by serious scholars.  It does seem a little amateur hour on this site at times.  Angry rants with little substance and the same tired arguments.  I think the burden is on you guys to challenge and obtain a hearing seeing as you have so many "scholars" at disposaland are the "#1 atheist website".  Honestly, Kirk Cameron?  Bottom of the barrel.  I'd love to see you all get someone in here with some intelligence.  I think it would be an education.  I look forward to hearing you when you all get some names here.  I think it would be extremely fruitful for more meaningful discussion.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:[...] I think

spumoni wrote:

[...] I think it would be an education.  I look forward to hearing you when you all get some names here.  I think it would be extremely fruitful for more meaningful discussion.

And here I thought you wanted to talk about god.

Zing.

Yeah, I don't respect you enough to respond in earnest.

spumoni
Theist
spumoni's picture
User is offlineOffline
ouch..there go my feelings.

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline

Here's a thing you need to consider spumoni. The general Christian public is who the R.R.S. is targeting. This includes the scholars, the whack jobs, and the average Joes. Considering this, who out of these three classes has the highest amount of members? There are few scholars, as you pugnaciously noted. There are a few more whack jobs than scholars. While the average Joe's drastically tip the membership scale. So consider the R.R.S. targeting the community at large, but only getting responses from the highest member class.

Does the R.R.S. only getting responses from the most likely class of Christians to respond say anything about the R.R.S.'s capability? No.

Does the R.R.S. viciously attacking traditional arguments more often than newer (arguably) arguments suggest that R.R.S. is limited in their willingness to challenge newer (arguably) Christian ideas and arguments? No. Why?

Well, the answer Mr. Spumoni is similar to all the other answers when asking a question about the general Christian public: the general Christian public does not know about the new (arguably) Christian ideas and arguments. And why is this? Because most of the Christian public is either too lazy or too confident to research new ideas and arguments for their belief system. I know this for a fact. Personal experience and observations I've made here and in real life is my evidence. Complacency is the word of the day Mr. Spumoni. Say it with me, com-pla-cen-cy.

So, in summation, why is the R.R.S. seeming to always attack the bottom of the barrel? Because the general Christian public adheres to the bottom of the barrel Christian ideas and arguments.

Trust me when I say this, the R.R.S. salivates at the idea of debating a scholarly Christian opponent. Perhaps something you should consider is this Spumoni, how do you know that the scholars would fair any better than the average Joe? Do you know that they hold keys? Do you know that their ideas will hold up to intense scrutiny under the eyes of a critical and intelligent opponent? The R.R.S. may or may not be up to this challenge. But, they are not afraid to try. So you should ask yourself Spumoni, are the Christian scholars whom you mentioned ready to tackle logic and critical, unforgiving reason? I would love to ask them that myself. Big claims in big books don't count as much as big claims gone under the microscope of your peers.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

Can someone tell me why you guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to attacking Christianity and defense of the faith?

Our group focuses specifically on the worlds most irrational claims.  The more kooky the better.  Although it's tough sometimes, like bashing your head in with a brick, so inevitably we deal we take a break from the insanity from time to time to engage people who have a title or a piece of paper certifying their level of knowledge.   Reverend Fred Klett comes to mind.

Quote:
Can you actually engage some well known people as opposed to all the whack jobs out there who claim to have a Christian ministry?

Yes.  But for the most part those men are just as easy to defeat.  They have more at stake than the layman and don't seek out shows like ours, nor do they often return the call.  Their careers are on the line.

Quote:
It doesn't bode well for the intellectual acumen.  Where is your discussions with Alvin Plantinga, William Lane Craig, J. P. Moreland, Ravi Zacharias, Doug Grouthuis, Tim Keller etc.?  Can't you get a seat at the table with this level of scholarship?

As we've said many times before to people like yourself... you do the work in getting them to come on the show, and we'll put them on.  You want to see them so bad, you do the work.  Me personally I think beating up on people like Kirk Cameron is more effective, but if you want them on... you get them.  Keep in mind the formal debate setting that many of your "scholars" would require will be unsuitable for an appearance on our show, tell them to look at it more like an interview (except the interviewers debunk you) where actual questions of importance are asked.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Huh. Should I have said

Huh. Should I have said "rocked" to make it any clearer? "Spanked" perhaps? What part of "schooled" wasn't crystal?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's hope they aren't as

Let's hope they aren't as qualified as this guy or we're so screwed:

some fundie wrote:

[Would you please tell us what your scientific qualifications (for evaluating evolution) are? What is your profession?]

My qualification is I'm a God-fearing college dropout redneck hick landlord who goes after darwinism with freaking vengeance....and I just happen to have the truth on my side.

supersport, Theology Web [Comments (100)] [2007-Jan-28]

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:ouch..there go

spumoni wrote:

Yeah... and check this out...

jread wrote:
So, in summation, why is the R.R.S. seeming to always attack the bottom of the barrel? Because the general Christian public adheres to the bottom of the barrel Christian ideas and arguments.

Trust me when I say this, the R.R.S. salivates at the idea of debating a scholarly Christian opponent. Perhaps something you should consider is this Spumoni, how do you know that the scholars would fair any better than the average Joe? Do you know that they hold keys? Do you know that their ideas will hold up to intense scrutiny under the eyes of a critical and intelligent opponent? The R.R.S. may or may not be up to this challenge. But, they are not afraid to try. So you should ask yourself Spumoni, are the Christian scholars whom you mentioned ready to tackle logic and critical, unforgiving reason? I would love to ask them that myself. Big claims in big books don't count as much as big claims gone under the microscope of your peers.

There goes your argument, too.  I think you just got spanked by one of your own, kiddo.

Books about atheism

shikko
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Huh.

HisWillness wrote:

Huh. Should I have said "rocked" to make it any clearer? "Spanked" perhaps? What part of "schooled" wasn't crystal?

Here's your problem: an ass-stomping can be punctuation in your life, but people who get schooled are supposed to LEARN.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

spumoni
Theist
spumoni's picture
User is offlineOffline
dethroned

Here's what it seems like to me.  A real debate format is unappealing to you guys because you'd rather have someone come in and jump them like some kind of gang. Strength in numbers right?  Honestly I'm no big fan of Cameron or Comfort but they simply outdid you in the format.  That tells me something.  Sure, anyone can call in and get heckled by fifty people and it seems like a thrashing.  When its put on the line in an objective setting something changes?  Why is that?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:HisWillness

shikko wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Here's your problem: an ass-stomping can be punctuation in your life, but people who get schooled are supposed to LEARN.

Right you are. "Schooled" was more accurate. But they never lear-

Oh. Hehe.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:Here's what it

spumoni wrote:

Here's what it seems like to me.  A real debate format is unappealing to you guys because you'd rather have someone come in and jump them like some kind of gang. Strength in numbers right?  Honestly I'm no big fan of Cameron or Comfort but they simply outdid you in the format.  That tells me something.  Sure, anyone can call in and get heckled by fifty people and it seems like a thrashing.  When its put on the line in an objective setting something changes?  Why is that?

Um, I'll do it. Just me and all [six] of those guys. Just me.

I'm just about the least qualified member of the site, so they should have absolutely no fear of me. I'm the bottom of the barrel here (as you put it), and I could take them, simply because there's nothing new under the sun in the way of arguments.

Bring them by, or let me know where I can engage them in debate.

[edit: you mentioned six guys, not four. Meh - bring them all]

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:Honestly I'm

spumoni wrote:
Honestly I'm no big fan of Cameron or Comfort but they simply outdid you in the format.  That tells me something.
I'm curious how you come to that conclusion when Cameron and Comfort failed to follow the rules they agreed to, and thus totally failed to make the very point they were there to make?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:spumoni

JillSwift wrote:

spumoni wrote:
Honestly I'm no big fan of Cameron or Comfort but they simply outdid you in the format.  That tells me something.
I'm curious how you come to that conclusion when Cameron and Comfort failed to follow the rules they agreed to, and thus totally failed to make the very point they were there to make?

It's those Christian spectacles.  Comes with an impenetrable aura of perfection around those folks they venerate.

It even comes with its own audio - variations of "I'm no big fan of X but <fawning statement goes here>"

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hambydammit wrote: Ok, in

Hambydammit wrote:

Ok, in all seriousness, spumoni, we wouldn't expect any apologist to debate fifty different people.  If any of your incredibly awesome god-experts wants to come here, we'll heavily moderate the thread, deleting anything that is not from one of the agreed upon debate participants.

spumoni wrote:

He already covered what you're complaining about.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:He already covered

Quote:
He already covered what you're complaining about.

Loc, you're forgetting... spumoni is a theist.  That means he gets to ignore any evidence he wants so he gets to be right.

Books about atheism

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

Can someone tell me why you guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to attacking Christianity and defense of the faith?  Can you actually engage some well known people as opposed to all the whack jobs out there who claim to have a Christian ministry?

When you realize there is no functional difference between a blithering fuckwit and an articulate fuckwit, you will have answered your own question.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reading Spumoni's responses

Reading Spumoni's responses to his debunked arguments is making me flashback to gradeschool chants of "I  know you are, but what am I."

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
spumoni wrote:Here's what it

spumoni wrote:

Here's what it seems like to me.  A real debate format is unappealing to you guys because you'd rather have someone come in and jump them like some kind of gang. Strength in numbers right? 

No actually, we do this because we recognize the formal debate format let's dishonest people have a severe advantage.  Since we are honest people we obviously don't want dishonest people to have a dishonest advantage.  So we eliminate the formal debate format which generally allows the presenters to speak for 5-10 minutes at a time creating webs of lies that would take hours to debunk.  On our show when you tell a lie, you'll likely be held accountable right away, instead of being alloted time to tell 5 more lies. 

Quote:
Honestly I'm no big fan of Cameron or Comfort but they simply outdid you in the format. 

The format was they would prove god existed without using faith or the bible.  They failed in the first 6 minutes.  And then they failed over and over all night long.  You wearing jesus goggles?

Quote:
Sure, anyone can call in and get heckled by fifty people and it seems like a thrashing.

It's usually 2-4 people.  For the record, before I created RRS I used to spend 10 hours a day on Christian sites in which I was outnumbered 50 to 1 because I enjoyed it.  I considered it a rush.  The truth doesn't take an army to defend. 

Quote:
When its put on the line in an objective setting something changes?  Why is that?

How bout you bring 20 friends over and schedule a text debate with Kelly, Rook, and I?  Or better yet, get 50 friends to agree to a skype conference vs Kelly, Rook, Mike, and I for a 12 hour slam fest!  (Seriously, do it.  I double dog dare ya) 

As a prize for playing I'll try to decipher all of the intricacies of the loaded question you just asked.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:For the

Sapient wrote:

For the record, before I created RRS I used to spend 10 hours a day on Christian sites in which I was outnumbered 50 to 1 because I enjoyed it.  I considered it a rush.  The truth doesn't take an army to defend. 

Any suggestions? The novelty of the arguments is getting a little thin in here, and I'd like to try a couple of new moves.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:How bout you

Sapient wrote:
How bout you bring 20 friends over and schedule a text debate with Kelly, Rook, and I?  Or better yet, get 50 friends to agree to a skype conference vs Kelly, Rook, Mike, and I for a 12 hour slam fest!  (Seriously, do it.  I double dog dare ya)

Wow.  I'd offer to help, but 5 against fifty wouldn't be fair at all.  Maybe with just 4 of you, they'll have a chance to type so fast nobody can read anything you say, and they'll win by default.

Books about atheism

daedalus
daedalus's picture
User is offlineOffline

spumoni wrote:

Perhaps you can tell us, in your own words, why those people are any better than the average person posting here?  Why do you feel that they are better at arguing for a god?

Of course, this guy is long gone but its interesting that people assume that someone is better at defining god. Isn't the Pope the best or someone who has had a revelation after drinkin' and druggin' too much?  Hell, I know a guy who missed being in an accident with a drunk driver who went on to kill 3 other people (the drunk driver, not him). This was his revelation that god existed and wanted something out of him.  Sure, the other people could go fuck themselves, but THIS guy was important!

How can Moreland (hack), Plantigna (hack), etc compete with that!?

Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
Isaac Asimov