I have a question about this book I'm reading

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a question about this book I'm reading

So I was at borders today and in the clearance section I found this book that looks really expensive for only 10 dollars. I'm not very familiar with Christianity at all, and haven't even read all of the bible yet, so I'm just trying to get some info on this book to see what I'm getting into.

It's called The Story of Christianity: An Illustrated History of 2000 Years of the Christian Faith by David Bentley Hart. Here is the link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Christianity-Illustrated-History-Christian/dp/1847241409/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=120616339...

There are no reviews on it so I have no clue how accurate all of this information is. It's not focused primarily on the bibe but it is some good history to take in. I think I'll learn a lot from it because it has a lot of pictures and illustrations.

I'm sure there are probably hundreds of books way better than this, but it was only 10 bucks so I had to get it.

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
The right

The right link:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Christianity-Illustrated-History-Christian/dp/1847241409/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=120616339...

The only other books I have as far as the bible are Bart Erhman's Misquoting Jesus, Karen Armstrong's History of God, both of which I haven't read, and then Dan Barker's Losing Faith In Faith book.

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit! here: The Story of

spumoni
Theist
spumoni's picture
User is offlineOffline
Book

Sorry I can't help but I'll throw a suggestion you're way if you are up for it.  I really like Bruce Shelley's Church History in Plain Language.  Its got a good narrative flow that works well with historical reporting.  The bibliograpy's at the end of chapters have lots to pursue rabbit trails and the work is well respected.  A real short work is A Pocket Guide to Church History by D. Jeffrey Bingham.  Its a short piece but gives little caveauts on particular characters and gives some interesting snapshots.  Hope your reading goes well.

Redscholar (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
David Bentley Hart Book

I have no idea why the book is so inexpensive but I do know that David is probably the brightest young theologian in the US today.      You would be hard pressed to find a better introduction.    He takes history seriously and highlights key points.    Reading this book will help understand why people read the Bible today the way they do...not always in good ways or for good reasons.    But if your just diving in this is a great, unapolagetic and critical look at Christianity from one of the best.    And yes, the illustrations are both nice and i think helpful