Happy Spring Equinox!

Max Wilder
atheist
Max Wilder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy Spring Equinox!

It's my favorite time of year, and I just thought I'd share a little conversation fodder!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

Turns out that Easter was stolen wholly from the pagans, just like Christmas, except that even the word "Easter" isn't even Christian.

I can't wait to learn more about it!

-----
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.
- Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
And happy Autumn Equinox

And happy Autumn Equinox from the southern hemisphere!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't celebrate your pagan

I can't celebrate your pagan holidays when I'm still recovering fiscally from International Women's Day.

Too much money spent at the go-go bar.

I have found more good friday jokes so I'll just make that my contribution to this astronomical celebration.

Why wasn't jesus born in Canada?

Because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

Why do women love jesus?

Because he was so well hung.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy let's buy chocolate

Happy let's buy chocolate bunnies and indulge in various pagan originated ceremonies but then still vehemently insist easter's about christ day!

thingy wrote:

And happy Autumn Equinox from the southern hemisphere!

Me too

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, most of us knew that.

Yeah, most of us knew that. Woohoo! It's Spring!

Max Wilder
atheist
Max Wilder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mmm... chocolate bunnies...

Loc wrote:

Happy let's buy chocolate bunnies and indulge in various pagan originated ceremonies but then still vehemently insist easter's about christ day!

My favorite is the dyed eggs, which is one of the most obvious fertility rituals. Then explaining that the egg symbolizes God's nature: the shell, white stuff, and yolk. Three-for-one, what a deal!

Oh yeah, and this:

"Peep" Show

-----
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.
- Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt