seeking the truth

hunter008
Theist
User is offlineOffline
seeking the truth

I am new here.

I have been brought up in a religious family all of my life. Now at the ripe old age of 30 I am in much doubt of all I have been taught.

I have never learned much about atheism. All I have ever heard is they believe in nothing which sounded awful to me. However, after much thought I started to wonder if maybe the here and now is all I really have. I am reading as much as I can to learn if there is more to it than what I have been told.

The members here seem to be very knowledgeable. I hope it is ok to ask questions. It seems there is a lot of anger towards people who believe in God and I was a little hesitant to post because of my background and the fact that I am searching for the truth. I do not know what that is yet. I have not sworn off God as of yet but I definately have much to learn.

Do you fear religion, God or both? Many people I know believe in God but do not call themselves religious. They believe religion is from man not from God.

I was thinking that believing this is all we have would be a relief in one way, as the pressure to make it, or be accepted to the next world would be gone. I thought people who believed this would be the carefree happy go lucky type.  I haven't sensed that by reading the posts here though. A lot of the post sound angry and resentful. Is that because you fear people who do believe? If so why? Do atheists feel they are responsible to enlighten believers like the believers feel they do to convert atheist? I am somewhat confused as  you can tell.

I have many questions but I know as a new member I should read all I can. I have read a lot but have much more to read.

Please be gentle with me. I promise my questions are asked in pure ignorance of your beliefs.

Thank you,

Hunter

Kuraishel
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The prayer of the

The prayer of the agnostic:

"God, I don't know whether you even exist. I'm a skeptic. I doubt. I think that you may only be a myth. But I'm not certain. So if you do exist, and if you really did promise to reward all seekers, you must be hearing me now. So I hearby declare myself to be a seeker, a seeker of the truth, whatever and wherever it is. I want to know the truth and live the truth. If you are the truth, please help me."

From the Christian perspective:

"He who seeks shall find"

"I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me"

Sorry I don't know the reference for these, look them up on Google. They're quite well known. But God promises that he shall reward all seekers. I hope you find this helpful.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kuraishel wrote:The prayer

Kuraishel wrote:

"God, I don't know whether you even exist. I'm a skeptic. I doubt. I think that you may only be a myth. But I'm not certain. So if you do exist, and if you really did promise to reward all seekers, you must be hearing me now. So I hearby declare myself to be a seeker, a seeker of the truth, whatever and wherever it is. I want to know the truth and live the truth. If you are the truth, please help me."

Many people here sought god at one time. However,when they found no evidence or effect,they realised they could better spend their time than talking to the ceiling.Even if one were to seek god,there's no reason to suppose the christian god would be the right one.

Kuraishel wrote:

"I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me"

There is no reason to believe that the bible is anything but a bad fiction story,so quoting it won't affect many people here. Still,it was quite nice of god to send his son to save us from a punishment he implemented in the first place.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Why do

hunter008 wrote:
Why do homosexuals insist on marriage?

Why do heterosexuals insist on marriage?

hunter008 wrote:
What is it about that title that they found they had to have? Why not call their unions something else as long as the same rights are granted?

Why would it have to be a different title? That's making things more difficult, isn't it? Anyway, if it's a union of two people, you'd just say they're married anyway, wouldn't you?

hunter008 wrote:
It seems as thought these issues turn into a revenge issue rather than obtaining the same rights.

From the people I know who are gay and married (or getting married), I know they just want to have their wedding like everyone else can. It's a simple expression of long-term commitment, just like it is with heterosexual people. It's already called "marriage", why bother changing it? It's still a union between two people.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kuraishel wrote:The prayer

Kuraishel wrote:

Insert in above any of the following: Anki. Ra, Zeus. Thor, El, Ba'al, .... The thing is many have prayed to the invisible sky god over the centuries, all have thought their way was the only right way. All have been found to be without truth, proof, and basis.

Kuraishel wrote:

Sorry I don't know the reference for these, look them up on Google. They're quite well known. But God promises that he shall reward all seekers. I hope you find this helpful. 

#1 is from Matthew 7:8. My Christian friends tell me that I should read between the lines to infer what is said in the Bible. So I did for this, I come up with that Jesus forsaw the Internet and the ability to find anything you'd like. A better quote is Matt 7:1, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." Which Christians seem to never get. I take it to mean keep your beliefs to yourself and do not ring my doorbell.

#2 is from John 14:6, which is contrary to the beliefs of the Jews which Jesus was. If the way was him, it wouldn't be contradicted by the basis of the belief system, Jewish belief. This statement put him in the position of blasphemy in the eyes of the Jews. It would require the legions of angels he expected to bail him out that didn't show up to prove this was a true statement. Out of context Bible sayings do nothing to prove your point.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

FormerXstian
FormerXstian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flawed

Kuraishel wrote:

I turned from Christian 2 and a half years ago to agnositc, begging for answers to God's existence and I went seeking. The more material I found, the more atheist I became. At no point did God intercede or send Christians from my past to stop my turn towards atheism. I basically threw down and said, "Okay, God, let's see the truth. Talk to me." He never talked to me.

Of course, the Christian explanation is that I wasn't listening. My stance is he wasn't there to listen to me. I know that now.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
FormerXstian wrote:I turned

FormerXstian wrote:

I turned from Christian 2 and a half years ago to agnositc, begging for answers to God's existence and I went seeking. The more material I found, the more atheist I became. At no point did God intercede or send Christians from my past to stop my turn towards atheism. I basically threw down and said, "Okay, God, let's see the truth. Talk to me." He never talked to me.

Of course, the Christian explanation is that I wasn't listening. My stance is he wasn't there to listen to me. I know that now.

Well said.Even when I was a xtian,I would beg god to talk to me.Everyone else said they heard his voice,but i couldn't. I put it done to my faith being too weak.I think it was maybe I have a naturally rational mind,so I just couldn't imagine I heard it.

I gave god ample chance to make himself known to me.Yet here we are...

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
kuraishel wrote:Quote:"He

kuraishel wrote:

Quote:

As this is written in the bible, the implication of statements such as this is that the bible holds the answers to the questions everyone is asking, that it holds some unique and profound secret.

Beyond the mountains of evidence to the contrary, this is not a unique statement.  Nearly every sacred scripture of every religious ideology claims to hold the exclusive "truth" and makes the same types of statements.  This exclusivity is what builds loyalty to the ideology and in turn gives it its tremendous power and influence.  The implication is that the "seeker" shall be rewarded merely through the act of seeking.  I find deceptively open-minded statements such as these devoid of any meaning when the source is considered, especially when they are soon followed by statements like this...

Quote:

Seek truth wherever you may find it...as long as you look nowhere else but here.

I'm waiting for the day when humans think critically enough to see through such obvious manipulation.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

hunter008
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes I am seeking the truth.

Yes I am seeking the truth. I can read all of the educational (personal) information on both sides and it is up to me to decide.

I am however discovering much about myself in this journey. I hadn't planned on that. Just thought I'd read everything I could find and try to come to a reasonable conclusion. Since we are all humans there is something personal in everything I read. We all come with baggage of some sort which delivers us to the place we are. For some it is a relevelation for others it is a journey but we all believe what we believe due to our past baggage. Some seem to be angry that they reached out to God and he didn't answer. I can understand that. I can't read past that though so I move on to the next post and so it goes. There have been a couple of posters on this site that made a lot of since to me. Didn't seem angry or wanting to show christians by converting every person they find to atheisim. Just seem to learn and decide. All posts have been beneficial to me though.

For all the years I have assumed there was a God I can say I hadn't in the past called out to him to really talk or answer me. Sounds Dumb I guess. Now I guestion whether I didn't really expect him to be real. Who knows. It is like a circle that goes around and around.

I'm sure I have bored you all by now. I however find the dialogue intersting and helpfu.

As for the homosexuals and the term of marriage. I am done with that. Believe what you will. It doesn't make a crap to me what it is called if ya want to believe I'm a racist ok. I still say let them have their term give me and my partner our rights and we will call it what we call it. If ya can't understand my way of thinking I understand.

hunter

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Yes I am

hunter008 wrote:

Yes I am seeking the truth. I can read all of the educational (personal) information on both sides and it is up to me to decide.

I am however discovering much about myself in this journey. I hadn't planned on that. Just thought I'd read everything I could find and try to come to a reasonable conclusion.

That's great.Personal discovery is one of the best kinds.

hunter008 wrote:
Some seem to be angry that they reached out to God and he didn't answer.

I don't know if you're including mine,but just to clarify,we're not angry at 'god'. I wouldn't say I'm particularly cut up about it.I was alot more upset at the time. Rather than anger,I feel more an amused embarassment.Like when you remember how you used to write to santa.

hunter008 wrote:
For all the years I have assumed there was a God I can say I hadn't in the past called out to him to really talk or answer me. Sounds Dumb I guess. Now I guestion whether I didn't really expect him to be real. Who knows. It is like a circle that goes around and around.

I get what your saying.Sometimes you don't want to call god out because if it doesn't matterilise,you're gona be in a hard spot right? All I can tell you is questioning is good.You say you always assumed,now ask.The world wouldn't get anywhere if people were content to just accept what they're told.

hunter008 wrote:
I'm sure I have bored you all by now. I however find the dialogue intersting and helpfu.

No way man.You're probably the most polite,honest christian I've seen here.Helping people in your position is what the sites all about. Keep up the dialougue and so will we.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:I am however

hunter008 wrote:

I am however discovering much about myself in this journey. I hadn't planned on that. Just thought I'd read everything I could find and try to come to a reasonable conclusion. Since we are all humans there is something personal in everything I read. We all come with baggage of some sort which delivers us to the place we are. For some it is a relevelation for others it is a journey but we all believe what we believe due to our past baggage. Some seem to be angry that they reached out to God and he didn't answer. I can understand that. I can't read past that though so I move on to the next post and so it goes. There have been a couple of posters on this site that made a lot of since to me. Didn't seem angry or wanting to show christians by converting every person they find to atheisim. Just seem to learn and decide. All posts have been beneficial to me though.

Knowing yourself is wisdom.

It's senseless to try and convert people. The best we can hope for is an honest discussion in which each side considers the other. The only one who can convert you is you. If you are not ready to give up God and be a heathen with us, then you have made the right decision for you. If you decide you are ready to give up belief in God, then that too is the right decision for you.

Your judgement is the only one that matters.

Unless you are married to a Christian. Then this also affects your spouse. I have seen marriages dissolve when one spouse gives up belief, and the other does not.

Quote:

I give out advice like a street-corner pusher gives out meth samples, and of about the same quality. Here's a suggestion, though: Give God an honest shot. Try to talk to him, in whatever way that means to you. Otherwise, you'll always wonder.

There's an often-used fallacy here, when an atheist says they were once a Christian, and then turned to atheism for their truths. The fallacy runs like this: "If you turned your back to the Lord, you didn't really give God a chance." This is the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, in that the implication is, the Christian-turned-atheist was never a real Christian.

If you're not sure you haven't given God a fair shake, you'll always wonder if you were a true Christian, to have turned your back on God.

Or maybe not. I really don't know you that well, so you might not. I'm just projecting myself into your shoes.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

hunter008
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Do any of you ever go back

Do any of you ever go back in your thinking now that you have decided that God is a myth? I mean do you ever wonder if you didn't do it right or you sub consciously assumed he wasn't realy therefore you weren't able to really find him?

I guess if I decide he isn't true and find myself feeling not right I'd reevaluate. Like that little voice that talks to ya. I do know I'm looking for the day to day peace not an earth shattering experience. I mean if I had one well ok but that isn't what is wrong.

Got to go to work.

Hunter

Kuraishel
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Explaining my last comment

That prayer was deliberately not aimed at the Christian God, but at any god that happened to exist. You might want to say "God or gods." It is basically asking whoever is out there, if there is someone out there, to reveal himself/ herself/ itself to you. I then presented you with the Christian point of view on seekers. Just straightening that out.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Do any of

hunter008 wrote:
Do any of you ever go back in your thinking now that you have decided that God is a myth? I mean do you ever wonder if you didn't do it right or you sub consciously assumed he wasn't realy therefore you weren't able to really find him?

Actually, it was a relief once I realized I could just come out and say that I didn't believe, because I never really did. I don't know if that's a personality thing, but I saw Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens on YouTube, and I laughed my ass off. It was like a load was lifted from my shoulders of trying to dance around other people's beliefs. All the things that I had considered ridiculous in my childhood, like the "everywhere watching" God, were suddenly released and I felt better. There's nothing to go back to.

hunter008 wrote:
I guess if I decide he isn't true and find myself feeling not right I'd reevaluate.

You may find that it doesn't feel right, for sure. It could seem like a phantom limb or something, if you're used to having that belief. I can only tell you that for me, it doesn't affect much. I don't tend to bring up the fact that I'm an atheist anyway - it doesn't come up a lot.

hunter008 wrote:
Like that little voice that talks to ya.

You mean like your conscience or superego?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

BMcD
User is offlineOffline

hunter008 wrote:

I guess if I decide he isn't true and find myself feeling not right I'd reevaluate. Like that little voice that talks to ya. I do know I'm looking for the day to day peace not an earth shattering experience. I mean if I had one well ok but that isn't what is wrong.

Got to go to work.

Hunter

Part of the wonder and mystery of life is that we should always be questioning our assumptions and our old conclusions. That's how we grow. As Penn Jillette once said, "I love finding out I'm wrong. It means I'm learning." Smiling

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline

hunter008 wrote:

Do any of you ever go back in your thinking now that you have decided that God is a myth? I mean do you ever wonder if you didn't do it right or you sub consciously  assumed he wasn't realy therefore you weren't able to really frend him?

I really did believe it,but I don't have any doubt I made the right choice now.If you were heavily brought up christian,I think you'll never completely erase it from your mind,but it's such a relief now.With every passing day you realise more and more how silly it was.

hunter008 wrote:

Personally I found going to atheism alot more earth shattering than christianity. And more peaceful too.You can just live your life without uneccesary fear and worry.If you'll look around you'll see there are threads about residual fear/doubt from being a chrstian,but mostly we're happy and peaceful in ourselves

dudeofthemoment wrote:

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Part of the

BMcD wrote:

Part of the wonder and mystery of life is that we should always be questioning our assumptions and our old conclusions. That's how we grow. As Penn Jillette once said, "I love finding out I'm wrong. It means I'm learning." Smiling

Absolutely. 100% on the money.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I'm jumping in late here but

I'm jumping in late here but will try to respond to the first post as well as some general commentary I've picked up on in other posts (I didn't read them all).

Quote:

All I have ever heard is they believe in nothing which sounded awful to me.

Though this statement is totally untrue and based on nothing, why would that be so awful? I have no blind faith, nor do I have 100% faith in anything, though I believe a lot of things based on the information I have.  The problem comes in believing things without reason.  I think the general thought about atheists not believing in anything comes down to a couple issues:

a) A belief that atheists have no origin to their morals.
 b) Atheists don't have all the answers to origins etc.

I write both of these off to ignorance and a general fear of it.  Where one person asks where we came from and needs an answer, I am content learning what we know but not needing to recognize the answer with certainty.  I remain ignorant in many ways to the origin of life, and the universe.  I don't see this as a problem.

I don't see not knowing as a particularly big problem.  I am a moral person.  I have ideas of where morals and ethics come from and how they develop, but I do not have certainty nor do I need certainty of origin to know that it exists.

Quote:

It seems there is a lot of anger towards people who believe in God and I was a little hesitant to post because of my background and the fact that I am searching for the truth.

Part of this perceived anger can be attributed to the things that hamby talks about, but I also think you have to recognize that this is a public forum and just about all public forums tend to be angry in nature, particularly when people are allowed to speak their mind on controversial subjects.

I write this anger off in part to simply being "the internet".

Quote:

Do you fear religion, God or both?

Neither.  I fear the political influence of the people abusing religion and manipulating people to further their political agenda.

Quote:

Is that because you fear people who do believe? If so why?

I don't think it's so much fear as much as just a culture of the forums which is surrounded around debate and argument.  Another thing that seems to contribute to the harsh replies is the nature of the posters who go out of their way to present ideas and arguments with no ability to back them up, or an inability to discuss it and are essentially just preaching.  This type of non-productive debate is useless and tends to result in people just getting into a pissing match.

Quote:

Do atheists feel they are responsible to enlighten believers like the believers feel they do to convert atheist?

Yes.  I think people need to take a step back and seriously evaluate what their religion is, what it is teaching, and what it is doing.  From what I can see the great majority of religious people don't do this and are fairly ignorant about their own claimed beliefs.  They lend great power to those with dreadful agendas.

There is also a promotional reason which is for people to recognize that atheists are more numerous than people think.  To create a comfort zone for atheists to profess their lack of faith as well as to build communities which can replace church and bible groups for social purposes.  The RRS is just one of many.

As for comments about peoples pictures being angry, I think you'll find this true of the internet in general.  People like to "look tough".

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
A bit about marriage, if

A bit about marriage, if you're interested.  It doesn't deal exactly with homosexual/heterosexual issues, but it does give some perspective on just how little claim Christians can make on the sanctity of marriage.

I want to make sure you get something exactly correct from a while back, Hunter.  Deludedgod made a good point about judging the difference between "right for me" and "empirically correct."  What many atheists, myself included, believe is that the thing about theism -- any theism -- that is so extraordinarily dangerous is that it encourages people to find truths that don't line up with reality.  If you fly this plane into a building, you'll get to have 72 virgins.  Yeah, your body will be mangled and burned, and you'll be dead, but you won't be dead.  Just believe it.

That kind of thinking is not confined to such drastic situations, though.  There are a lot of things that aren't as pretty as culture, or folklore, or self-help gurus would like us to believe.  There are other things that are not necessarily better or worse, just different.  The thing is, if you find a model of reality that just 'feels right' to you, you have no better chance of being right than someone who does rain-dances instead of instituting good water conservation measures.  (Just a little FUCK YOU to the governor of Georgia.  Pardon me.)

A while back, you said something like 'science is right until proven wrong.'  This is not true.  Science, at every stage, must prove itself correct.  It's not just science.  The way knowledge works is that anyone at all, under any circumstances, who claims something bears a burden of proof. 

Here's the most important thing you can ever learn about knowledge:  Everything is assumed false.

Read that as many times as you need to until you get a grasp on it.  In day to day life, there are many things we say we assume to be true, but in reality, we have judged the evidence to be so overwhelming that it is certainly true.   The burden of proof has been met.  There is no such thing as assuming something is true and then trying to prove it false.

Science, religion, philosophy... EVERYTHING must prove its own truth.  Those things which fail the burden of proof must presumed false if we are to be on epistemological footing.

To prove this to yourself, imagine for a minute that the opposite is true.  Everything is assumed to be true until it is proven false.  Now, consider this:  I have an invisible gnome living in my refrigerator.  He vanishes into the ether a second before anyone looks for him, and he always knows when someone is about to look for him.  Twice a day, my gnome takes a field trip to your house and poisons your drinking water with a magical elixir that makes you see and hear everything incorrectly. 

Now.  Prove me wrong.  You can't?  Then you must believe in my invisible gnome, and you must live every day as if everything you perceive is wrong.

Here's another trick to demonstrating the burden of proof.  Assume again that everything must be proven false.  I submit to you that the sun around which the earth apparently rotates does not actually exist.  I also submit to you that the sun exists.  Until you can prove either statement false, you must believe that the sun both exists and doesn't exist.  Go ahead.  Believe it.  I'll give you some time to think about it...

You think you can prove that the sun's nonexistence can be disproven, right?  It's more difficult than that.  Remember, you haven't proven that my gnome doesn't poison your water.  The fact that you see it is proof that it doesn't exist, because everything you see is wrong.

Of course, since you're reading what I'm typing (SO YOU THINK!!) you can only assume that I do not exist, since you are always wrong.... but if I don't exist, then who told you about the gnome??!  (Oh yeah, and while you're thinking about this, how were you going to prove that the sun doesn't not exist?  You were going to prove that it does exist.  You were going to meet the burden of proof!  See how unavoidable it is?)

You see how fast it gets into nonsense?  There is no such thing as a burden of disproof.  Everything must prove to be true before we can believe it.  So, as you're searching for your own truth, you have two choices:  Find something that you feel good about, and believe it until its proven false, or believe only that which you have good reasons to believe.  One way will get you a lot of suitcases full of snake oil, and the other, while it may be a little harder to stick to, will tend to yield real truth a lot more often.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

hunter008
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the intersting

Thanks for the intersting posts. I had a lot of work waiting for me. I'm glad to find the  posts and discussion continuing.

Ok so I'm watching this t.v. show, (can't remember the name) and two scientific experts were disagreeing. Wish I could relate it all to you but I will confess I'm not to bright in scientific terms or subjects but what caught my attention was here are two experts both saying something is true but they do not agree. Why is that? If I want to put my faith in science isn't it fallable too? Dumb statement of course it is but I just have to wonder if whatever is proven can be unproven. I probably wouldn't have watched the show a few weeks ago but the conversation here has been on my mind a lot.

Thanks for not writing me off just yet.

hunter

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Ok so I'm

hunter008 wrote:
Ok so I'm watching this t.v. show, (can't remember the name) and two scientific experts were disagreeing. Wish I could relate it all to you but I will confess I'm not to bright in scientific terms or subjects but what caught my attention was here are two experts both saying something is true but they do not agree. Why is that? If I want to put my faith in science isn't it fallable too? Dumb statement of course it is but I just have to wonder if whatever is proven can be unproven.

This is why it is so important to follow the evidence. First off, do NOT put 'faith' in science. Don't believe it because someone told you to. Believe in it because it *works* and is based on evidence. When you have evidence that something works, you don't need faith. Faith is only needed when you don't have good evidence.

So, when you see two scientists arguing, don't believe one or the other based on your 'faith' in one versus the other. Dig deeper and look for (or ask for) the evidence. The scientist with the best evidence wins, not because he's an authority, but because he can show you evidence.

And yes, science is fallible, but here's the great thing about evidence versus faith. When there are conflicting sides, the more faith you throw into the argument, the more *divided* the sides become. But, the more evidence you throw into the argument, the more *agreement* the sides will reach (assuming both sides are rational). Faith leads to disagreement, evidence leads to agreement.

Why do you think there are 30,000 sects of Christianity and only one theory of evolution? Because Christianity is based on faith, and evolution is based on evidence. Before the evidence was found, there were dozens of explanations for the diversity of life floating around. Once the evidence began to be found, it all consistently pointed to one explanation. And the MORE evidence that rolls in, the more agreement there is in the scientific (rational) community. Of course, there's still faith-based intelligent design. Adding faith just adds to disagreement.

One other thing is that perhaps these scientists were arguing over speculative hypotheses, and not evidentiary theories. It is natural and good for scientists to discuss and argue over speculation. But they don't (or shouldn't) represent their speculations as well-supported fact. There are lots of competing models for things like string theory or whatever, and scientists will discuss and argue these, but they are not claiming that they are necessarily true, they are just poking holes in other people's ideas to see how well they stand up to scrutiny. But when they start looking for and finding evidence, then the evidence will support one hypothesis over the other, and the more evidence rolls in, the stronger the support will become.

Don't take science on faith, look for the evidence.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
The difference between

The difference between science and religion is that science will admit when it's wrong and change accordingly. Religion will never do that. I don't think one has faith in science, you accept what is said because there is evidence to support it.Whenever there is evidence, faith is not needed. There was a story in The God Delusion that would suit this. I can't remember details, but I'll give the gist.

There was a scientist who for 15 years held a certain idea and taught it. One day, at large meeting with other scientists, a younger man showed his idea to be wrong and proved it. Instead of getting defensive or denying the truth of the other man's claims, the older scientist admitted he had been wrong and thanked the man for correcting him, to the immense cheering and clapping of the room.

The point is, this doesn't happen in faith. When presented with evidence disproving a idea, the religious will retreat further into their cave of ignorance. It is the only way religion can survive. Scientists may argue on details, but they will support the correct answer,regardless of personal feelings.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Thanks for

hunter008 wrote:

Thanks for the intersting posts. I had a lot of work waiting for me. I'm glad to find the  posts and discussion continuing.

Ok so I'm watching this t.v. show, (can't remember the name) and two scientific experts were disagreeing. Wish I could relate it all to you but I will confess I'm not to bright in scientific terms or subjects but what caught my attention was here are two experts both saying something is true but they do not agree. Why is that? If I want to put my faith in science isn't it fallable too? Dumb statement of course it is but I just have to wonder if whatever is proven can be unproven. I probably wouldn't have watched the show a few weeks ago but the conversation here has been on my mind a lot.

hunter

Hey, Hunter. Both Loc and Natural have made some excellent points. I'd like to add to that, if I may.

First, let me say that science is actually three things. As the scientific method, it's a philosophy -- specifically, it's an epistemology, a way of learning. So far, it's the only epistemology we have that gives practical and consistent results. This is the bedrock of what we know about the universe today. It's assumed that the scientific method works, and works all the time. We assume this because it has worked, in every case.

Second, it's the practice of that epistemology. It's the gathering of data, the drawing up propositions to explain the data, and then testing the propositions. There is room for error here, because we are human. Like the "cold fusion" fiasco of the late 1980s, some scientists are sloppy, or come to the wrong conclusion. But, just like in the case of cold fusion, every claim may be checked by others. And so it goes when something truly novel is claimed, like in the case of the cold fusion results. Labs and scientists across the world started looking into the claims, and the experiments that produced the cold fusion.

And it turned out to be wrong. Although the practice of science is flawed, the scientific method is designed to correct those flaws. This is why I claim the scientific method has worked, and worked in every single case. Bad knowledge is always found out.

Finally, science is an ontology. It's all the data gathered, and all the relationships between that data. It's the knowledge we have gained from the application of the scientific method, and it's also our understanding of that knowledge. And sometimes portions of our ontology are wrong. Thomas Samuel Kuhn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Samuel_Kuhn) first wrote about this back in the 60s. We've known about it for a long time, though.

Here's an example of how it works:

Back in the 17th century, Sir Isaac Newton developed some of the most-tested theories in science. These were his laws of motion and dynamics. They were called "Laws" because they were simple, and they had wide-ranging effects throughout the rest of the sciences. It caused a fundamental shift in the way we thought about he universe, and affected philosophy and society well beyond their scientific implications.

Newton's Laws described the universe as a clockwork, where you could calculate the position and velocity of every object in the universe at any time in the life of the universe.

This view held for over 200 years. Then, in the early part of the twentieth century, two things happened: Einstein came up with his special relativity, and some strange data started popping up, mostly dealing with the study of radioactive decay. One thing led to another, and scientists discovered that they universe fundamentally is not a clockwork. You can't calculate the position of every object in any system over the course of long timespan, let alone for the universe. This caused a change in the way we look at the universe.

This didn't invalidate Newton's laws. But, it bounded their effectiveness. They aren't as universal as we thought for so many years. It turns out the laws hold for objects larger than the atomic, and smaller than.... well, very large objects. And objects not travelling very fast in relation to each other. And for relatively short timespans (say, no more than a couple dozen thousands of years). So, Newton's very elegant laws are really just a specialized subset of the new ontology.

Anyway, all I'm getting at is this: all our knowledge is contingent on our ability to understand our knowledge. As we gain new knowledge, our understanding grows, and sometimes changes. And strangely, as we start to see smaller and smaller things, and larger and larger things, and more distant things, we begin to understand we don't understand as much as we thought. It's not that our knowledge is reduced. It's just that we get a better idea of  how much more there is to know.

Science (the practice) has often been proven wrong. The interesting thing is, though, it's only been proven wrong by more science.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Hunter. I haven't been on

Hi Hunter. I haven't been on for a little while, so I'm starting with an old topic...

About the homosexual marriage: don't think that any of the anger you felt in the replies was directed at you personally. There was anger, but it was at the idea of the (religiously based) discrimination, and at the church promoting it. "You" can be an ambiguous term, read it as "you" plural/general aimed at those who are doing the dicriminating, not yourself. Personally I try not to read insults inbetween the lines, which means that I feel offended less and people wishing to insult me need to be blunt about it. You do have a good point about marriage just being a word. But it is a symbollic word and denying a group of people of its use is wrong.

About science and disagreement: science is an evolving thing. We start with observation and ideas and back up and modify those ideas with tests and more observations continually. The more evidence there is supporting the idea, the less likely it is to be proven wrong and the more accepted it is. This is why the basics are often assumed as facts, even though they may undergo minor adjustments, they are unlikely to be proven completely wrong because of the weight of evidence backing them up. (and as others have pointed out: a really solid theory also can be used to predict outcomes)

It is on the cutting edge (especially in physics and medicine) where there is not so much evidence because there is not so much evidence (because it is new, hard to test, hard to observe, or possibly even impossible to test/observe) that you will find disagreement.

As has been pointed out, disagreement is ok... as long as you are backing up your idea with logic... you can't just use "because" etc. Discussion encourages thought. Multiple disagreeing thories can exist for decades until the evidence points the correct way. This is science working, not failing.

Hope everyone is having a happy easter/pagan spring fetival.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Thanks for

hunter008 wrote:

hunter

As has been said: don't put your faith in science. Put your trust in your own ability to reason. Scientific disagreement is part of the process by which the scientific method searches for truth. Conflicting ideas are evaluated, challenged, compared, and in the end, the theory that best fits observable data, and which makes the most accurate predictions is accepted... unless proven wrong at a later point. If that happens, then we again look at the observable data, including the new information, and attempt to come up with a new theory that matches the data and makes testable predictions that we hope will be borne out by continued observation.

The very act of challenging those theories, the very notion that it's ok to disagree as long as both sides match the data... is the very heart of what makes the scientific method work.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

hunter008
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Have been swamped with work

Have been swamped with work lately. Had to have family time today. I do appreciate the responses. Want to re read them all slowly. Believe me I think about the discussions here. I would like to say thanks for letting me ask and learn. You have all for the most part been very helpful and respectful. I am sure some of my thoughts and questions sound a little strange but you have all been very gracious in making me feel comfortable in posting. I was a  little afraid to post at first knowing I am coming from a christian perspecitve and seeing how angry many are. I have a different view of most of you now. Not that it matters but I do.

Ok here it goes. Happy Easter everyone. Even if you don't believe it is still a family day and after all you believe in bunnies don't you?

hunter

I have more questions on science. I hope to have time to read and post some more when my work load is down again. I bet you can hardly wait.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote: I do

hunter008 wrote:

I do appreciate the responses. Want to re read them all slowly. Believe me I think about the discussions here. I would like to say thanks for letting me ask and learn. You have all for the most part been very helpful and respectful. I am sure some of my thoughts and questions sound a little strange but you have all been very gracious in making me feel comfortable in posting. I was a  little afraid to post at first knowing I am coming from a christian perspecitve and seeing how angry many are. I have a different view of most of you now. Not that it matters but I do.

Again,glad to see you still around.It's understadable you'll want to think things over carefully. Your questions aren't that unusual or strange,after all most of us were at some  point in your position, and probably thought as you currently are. It seems we still can't convince you we aren't all boiling with anger though..we'll work on that.

hunter008 wrote:
Ok here it goes. Happy Easter everyone. Even if you don't believe it is still a family day and after all you believe in bunnies don't you?

True and my easter had no religion involved so that was good. And Happy Autumn Equinox to you(actually Spring since you're in the northern hemisphere)

hunter008 wrote:
I have more questions on science. I hope to have time to read and post some more when my work load is down again. I bet you can hardly wait.

Damn straight I can't.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Have been

hunter008 wrote:

Have been swamped with work lately. Had to have family time today. I do appreciate the responses. Want to re read them all slowly. Believe me I think about the discussions here. I would like to say thanks for letting me ask and learn. You have all for the most part been very helpful and respectful. I am sure some of my thoughts and questions sound a little strange but you have all been very gracious in making me feel comfortable in posting. I was a  little afraid to post at first knowing I am coming from a christian perspecitve and seeing how angry many are. I have a different view of most of you now. Not that it matters but I do.

hunter

No reason you shouldn't feel comfortable, Hunter. One thing to remember is, while yes, a lot of the folks here can be fairly angry about the treatment they've received, they do try to be rational about it (ZOMG!) and only be angry at the people treating them that way. Folks showing up with an open mind, being reasonable, asking questions, and actually reading the answers (as opposed to people asking questions and ignoring the answers in favor of telling us we're all going to burn in hell) don't usually seem to trip that anger.

So, as long as we're all adults about it, we seem to be ok.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:So, as long as

BMcD wrote:

Funny how that works, eh?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:BMcD

HisWillness wrote:

BMcD wrote:

Funny how that works, eh?

It is! It's like... some kind of truism or something... as long as we're all reasonable adults, we can behave like reasonable adults!

You know what we need?

We need Yogi Berra to come and say it in a really brilliant, simple way, like... "As long as we're cool, it's all cool" or something.

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is something funny to

Here is something funny to think about if all the religious really really seriously believe this entire then why are they sad after their loved ones died ??? The question is why are all thus people claming tho be absolutely shore there is a after life and every believer gets to haven then why are they so crushed buy believers going into the best place ???

You can think about it yourself however the truth is no one of the religious is believing their dogma not one of them ! The point is theists are composed of :

con_artists/Most_Prechers : they don’t believe in god are ling and they wont jour money end of story

Followers/Sheep : Simple people actually deluding them self’s thinking “hey every body in my grupe is believing I must conform to the hive mind ” , however since every body is simply believing that no one is doubting in their head they follow this self created illusion of “me the ode on”.

Schiso/Insane : People who are on drugs or absolutely insane we name them naturally religious. They have a instability and often see unicorns talking to them or see invisible people , invisible friends (inset is silly that I never head know or heard of people having invisible friends in my country and its weary agnostic/hidden_atheistic ) most of them are in funny rooms with soft walls. However if they clime to see Satan/Angels/Hell/Haven/GOD/Jesus they get a sanctuary in religion or churches.

So your Preacher can be a weak person (sheep) , a simple thief (con artist) where you get simple tricked buy him , Insane this is dangerous you can follow a complete madman who can kill all of you because god told him or promised he will revive the followers writ after their death (sadly enough I read a post of some parents believing their darter gets revived after death they are still waiting.)

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Here is something

carx wrote:
Here is something funny to think about if all the religious really really seriously believe this entire then why are they sad after their loved ones died ??? The question is why are all thus people claming tho be absolutely shore there is a after life and every believer gets to haven then why are they so crushed buy believers going into the best place ??? You can think about it yourself however the truth is no one of the religious is believing their dogma not one of them !

I always wondered about that too. I've seen it with relatives that were religious all their lives, simply lose it over death. Clearly they have a large doubt over whether it's for real. If they really bought the fantasy, they should throw a party. Then there's the other side of this, those who take actions that could take us all to Jesus, such as GW Bush.

carx wrote:
The point is theists are composed of : con_artists/Most_Prechers : they don’t believe in god are ling and they wont jour money end of story Followers/Sheep : Simple people actually deluding them self’s thinking “hey every body in my grupe is believing I must conform to the hive mind ” , however since every body is simply believing that no one is doubting in their head they follow this self created illusion of “me the ode on”. Schiso/Insane : People who are on drugs or absolutely insane we name them naturally religious. They have a instability and often see unicorns talking to them or see invisible people , invisible friends (inset is silly that I never head know or heard of people having invisible friends in my country and its weary agnostic/hidden_atheistic ) most of them are in funny rooms with soft walls. However if they clime to see Satan/Angels/Hell/Haven/GOD/Jesus they get a sanctuary in religion or churches. So your Preacher can be a weak person (sheep) , a simple thief (con artist) where you get simple tricked buy him , Insane this is dangerous you can follow a complete madman who can kill all of you because god told him or promised he will revive the followers writ after their death (sadly enough I read a post of some parents believing their darter gets revived after death they are still waiting.)

It all follows from a lack of utilization of one's own brain. If the brain was engaged not the fantasy center, the fables, impossible stories would hit your internal firewall and be blocked. Since these people are per se surfing the world without one, they get the equivalent of a virus implanted in their brain. The virus distorts reality such that they accept fantasy as real. I call it mental illness.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008 wrote:Why do

hunter008 wrote:

Why do homosexuals insist on marriage? What is it about that title that they found they had to have? Why not call their unions something else as long as the same rights are granted?

ZOMG it is possible make a weary specific civil contract like “Person A obligates himself to not engage in sex with other persons the person B … if this is broken sanctions followe..”.
Simple it is possible just like making a trans national corporation and digging the progressive tax creating a corporation in a country having a flat tax for “legal persons” (corporations) I propose Poland with its 17% corporate tax and a S.Z.O.O (limited liability ) type corporation. Most people have no idea how they can build or use the legal system I’m frustrated buy countries not educating their citizens how in the most fundamental functioning in the country its like not telling people how to get food in the concrete jungle 

daedalus
daedalus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am angry because of a

I am angry because of a typical series of events.

Imagine, if you (a Xian) will, you meet a Raelian.  You tell them quite kindly that they are probably mistaken about their reasoning for x, y and z reasons.  They respond by telling you that Ra El loves you and you should believe.  You then explain to them that that is a very nice sentiment but that the reasons you can't believe are x,y and z and, could they please address x,y, and z.  They respond by telling you that you can't understand what they are talking about until you believe it and then x, y and z won't matter. etc, etc...

On and on the person simply asserts that they are correct and they refuse to address the subject. Or, if they do try to address the topic they do so with the sole intent to make it sound like they won, like a used car salesman.

You then try to walk away but then, there they are on the TV saying that they need to pass laws that ensure Raelian ethics, and we should all pray to Ra El for rain and peace and medical miracles, and that its been proven to work, but proof? shut up and don't be evil - why do you have to be so mean, you should burn in Raelian Hell for your impudence.

All this, after you asked them to address x, y and z, but they ignore you and start claiming to everyone that they know the answer and if everyone else believed what they believed (and not the other way around), then the world would be better.

On and on it goes.  I'm angry because, generally, Theists are idiots but are too arrogant and idiotic to see it.

Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
Isaac Asimov

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

carx wrote:
Here is something funny to think about if all the religious really really seriously believe this entire then why are they sad after their loved ones died ??? The question is why are all thus people claming tho be absolutely shore there is a after life and every believer gets to haven then why are they so crushed buy believers going into the best place ??? You can think about it yourself however the truth is no one of the religious is believing their dogma not one of them !

I always wondered about that too. I've seen it with relatives that were religious all their lives, simply lose it over death. Clearly they have a large doubt over whether it's for real. If they really bought the fantasy, they should throw a party. Then there's the other side of this, those who take actions that could take us all to Jesus, such as GW Bush.

Well, from what I've seen, it's the same reason the rest of us are sad when a loved one dies: that person isn't in your life anymore. They're gone, no more talking to them, seeing them, spending time with them, etc. When a friend of mine moves to another city, I don't celebrate them leaving... I might wish them well and have a going away party, but it's not a celebration, it's a way to say goodbye and balm the sadness some.

Just because the theists belief their loved one is moving to a nicer city doesn't mean they shouldn't be upset at losing touch.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
BMcD

BMcD wrote:

carx wrote:

Well, from what I've seen, it's the same reason the rest of us are sad when a loved one dies: that person isn't in your life anymore. They're gone, no more talking to them, seeing them, spending time with them, etc. When a friend of mine moves to another city, I don't celebrate them leaving... I might wish them well and have a going away party, but it's not a celebration, it's a way to say goodbye and balm the sadness some.

Just because the theists belief their loved one is moving to a nicer city doesn't mean they shouldn't be upset at losing touch.

Except that they believe they will see them again as soon as they die it's not the same thing. When one of my friends dies, I am sad they won't be in my life anymore but I'm grateful for having them in my life. Theists believe they will all hang out together again, so it's like their loved one is simply on a long vacation.

daedalus
daedalus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course, its odd that many

Of course, its odd that many Theists believe God can speak to them from heaven but to claim their loved ones can do the same is (to about half of the theists) a crazy idea.

Yes, you are sad that a friend leaves for another city, but you are happy for them that they are living a better life (presumably) unless you are a selfish bastard. PLus, you can always call and write.

The fact that there is no documented proof of people talking to the dead in Heaven should give every Heaven-believing Theist a cold chill. They should realize that it doesn't make sense in their concept of how the supernatural interacts with the world.

Either God doesn't want any contact (which makes him cruel) or there isn't a heaven and supernatural in the way Theists claim.  Not to mention, Satan (or some other rougue spirit) should be able to contact the living - unless God doesn't allow free will in Heaven, which is then a cruel joke, since he allows it here (and it supposedly causes evil - but he feels its absolutely important for people to have free will) but doesn't allow it in Heaven - or Hell.  After all, why doesn't Satan send people from Hell to disrupt Gods plan? Because God is more powerful? Why doesn't God wipe out Satan? Cruelty.

Lets face it. most of theism is a sham, fraud and despicable fear-mongering money-extracting enterprise. Theism is a con job.

Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
Isaac Asimov

sandwiches
sandwiches's picture
User is offlineOffline
hunter008, I am not angry.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I wanted to answer you to let you know that not all atheists are angry or hate religion. In fact, my experiences with religion have been wonderful throughout my life. I was raised Catholic, like the rest of my Mexican family. We celebrated (and still celebrate) everyone's saint's days, religious days, etc.

When, I came to the US and started having doubts at around 14 years of age, I attended the local Catholic church, a Southern baptist church, a non-denominational christian church, a pentecostal church, a local baha'i group, and one of Dallas' Buddhist temples. NO ONE ever treated me disrespectfully or in any demeaning way in any of those congregations. They always made me feel welcome even though they knew I was  atheist and they never pressured me to convert. Sure we discussed religions for hours and hours on end, but they were always very civil with me.

The only reason I became an atheist is merely because I found no compelling logical reason to believe in a god.

hunter008, I hope you find your way and I don't know if this will help you, but I do remember being very afraid of accepting my own feelings of doubt because I was afraid God would punish me. I eventually came to the realization that whether or not I kept lying to myself, if God did exist, he knew I had no faith left. So, don't be afraid to question your own feelings and thoughts. Sometimes, you have to stop and ask yourself: "Why do I believe this? Why do I keep repeating this to myself? What am I afraid of?"

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:>Well, from what

BMcD wrote:
>Well, from what I've seen, it's the same reason the rest of us are sad when a loved one dies: that person isn't in your life anymore. They're gone, no more talking to them, seeing them, spending time with them, etc. When a friend of mine moves to another city, I don't celebrate them leaving... I might wish them well and have a going away party, but it's not a celebration, it's a way to say goodbye and balm the sadness some.

Well there is all ways the possibility of going to them . I mean suicide if there is a after life then why don’t just catapult yourself to your best friend ? I remember reading Christian suicide were ramped before the renesonse I’m not sure about it however it makes perfect sans. If your friend goon on the best vacation then why not join him ?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Except that they believe they will see them again as soon as they die it's not the same thing. When one of my friends dies, I am sad they won't be in my life anymore but I'm grateful for having them in my life. Theists believe they will all hang out together again, so it's like their loved one is simply on a long vacation.

That doesn't mean they won't miss them while they're gone. Besides, they believe they're at the mercy of a being whose judgement they really can't sway. So in the end, while they may hope they're going to hang out in a better place together... they still have that fear that they won't.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Well there is all

carx wrote:
Well there is all ways the possibility of going to them . I mean suicide if there is a after life then why don’t just catapult yourself to your best friend ? I remember reading Christian suicide were ramped before the renesonse I’m not sure about it however it makes perfect sans. If your friend goon on the best vacation then why not join him ?

Well, for Catholics, suicide's a mortal sin, and if you die with a mortal sin on your soul, you go straight to hell. So that's not really much of an option. Of course, the reason suicide's a mortal sin is entirely political in origin, as suicides in the middle ages deprived the nobles of labor from serfs and rents from freemen, and deprived the Church of tithes from those same serfs and freemen, and the additional tithing that the nobles would've been giving if they'd collected those incomes. So the nobles complained, and the pope ruled suicide a mortal sin.

OccamsChainsaw
User is offlineOffline
Anger is Appropriate

I too was struck by the angry content of many of the posts around here, at least until I had read a sizable portion of the threads.  Your approach to this site's brand of 'enlightenment' is different than the normal, I mean average, first time poster.

I always picture them leaving the church filled with hellfire and brimstone and a desire to witness to the wayward souls in their path.  So, they pick us.  Thinking themselves very clever and without introduction, they ask some leading question with all the insight of a fourth grader.  In their replies to our responses they pussyfoot around and avoid revealing their true nature and intent.  This supposed deception on their part is, I suppose, meant to win friends and influence atheists.  What it does do is garner a fair amount of ridicule and anger and by 'fair' I do mean appropriate.  Deceit should be met with anger.

It's interesting to watch the progression of their careers here (I admit it - it's one of my guilty pleasures).

• They post their topic.
  • This generates several responses
  • All responses are deemed inappropriate (that's the clever part of course).
  • Inconsistent arguments by the original poster are pointed out.
  • The inconsistencies are rebutted.
  • This goes back and forth for some duration of time - usually depending on whether or not the mystic poster has a life or not.
  • As a last resort, they trot forth a lengthy list of irrelevant and indefensable references.
  • There's a period of my referances are better than yours.
  • Then they're gone.  I do suspect they lurk for awhile afterward.

There are variations on the theme and that's what makes it interesting.

My regards and welcome.  The honest Hunter is held in high esteem around these here parts.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
BMcD

BMcD wrote:

That doesn't mean they won't miss them while they're gone. Besides, they believe they're at the mercy of a being whose judgement they really can't sway. So in the end, while they may hope they're going to hang out in a better place together... they still have that fear that they won't.

Exactly. Which is what I've always seen from them at funerals. So in the end they aren't much different other than they hope for the afterlife with their loved ones while we acknowledge there isn't one.

daedalus
daedalus's picture
User is offlineOffline
OccamsChainsaw wrote:I too

OccamsChainsaw wrote:

I too was struck by the angry content of many of the posts around here, at least until I had read a sizable portion of the threads.  Your approach to this site's brand of 'enlightenment' is different than the normal, I mean average, first time poster.

I always picture them leaving the church filled with hellfire and brimstone and a desire to witness to the wayward souls in their path.  So, they pick us.  Thinking themselves very clever and without introduction, they ask some leading question with all the insight of a fourth grader.  In their replies to our responses they pussyfoot around and avoid revealing their true nature and intent.  This supposed deception on their part is, I suppose, meant to win friends and influence atheists.  What it does do is garner a fair amount of ridicule and anger and by 'fair' I do mean appropriate.  Deceit should be met with anger.

It's interesting to watch the progression of their careers here (I admit it - it's one of my guilty pleasures).

• They post their topic.
  • This generates several responses
  • All responses are deemed inappropriate (that's the clever part of course).
  • Inconsistent arguments by the original poster are pointed out.
  • The inconsistencies are rebutted.
  • This goes back and forth for some duration of time - usually depending on whether or not the mystic poster has a life or not.
  • As a last resort, they trot forth a lengthy list of irrelevant and indefensable references.
  • There's a period of my referances are better than yours.
  • Then they're gone.  I do suspect they lurk for awhile afterward.

There are variations on the theme and that's what makes it interesting.

My regards and welcome.  The honest Hunter is held in high esteem around these here parts.

Isaac Asimov

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings!

I am an Atheist.

Being a long time atheist (35 years or more) tends to color my perceptions and at times impinge on my objectivity... (What do you MEAN you believe in invisible sky fairies??!!!)

That being said, in the real world, 9-5, 24/7 reality, I don't really CARE if someone believes in a diety. I have no agenda, no reason to prostelize as I see us all being on the same bus, bound for the same destination.

It's all about me, you see. Only when religious belief interferes with my chosen lifestyle, does it matter. I'm not out to save you, I'm out to protect myself and my own interests.

I do enjoy discussing things, it keeps me sharp and being proven wrong (on rare occasions Eye-wink  ) helps me refine my world view. And, being the curmudgeonly sort, a good argument filled with ad hom invictives gets the blood churning once in a while.

Welcome to the forums, evolve a thick skin, and enjoy.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatever happened to good

Whatever happened to good old Hunter..if you're still out there and reading do come back and chat! You were such an enjoyable theist

dudeofthemoment wrote: