Watch out rationalist/freethinking women!! Atheism leads to anorexia!!

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch out rationalist/freethinking women!! Atheism leads to anorexia!!

We often rightfully blame the conservative/Christian right for for their irrational claims. But even the so called "enlightened" secular left spew out their share of anti-intellectual garbage.

For girls who hate their bodies: a spiritual crisis

And here is the URL:

Ms. Martin essentially concludes that godlessness and the spiritual void in young women are significant contributors to adherence to beauty standards. I know far too many atheist/freethinking women who would completely disagree. An argument could be made as to whether air brushed images of Angelina Jolie lowers a girl’s self esteem leading to anorexia/bulimia (which I disagree) but not believing in a spirituality? And this is an argument coming from a mainstream feminist. Although I tend to agree with some of the feminist mantra, I don’t think that mainstream feminism necessarily jives with skepticism or atheism.

I'm curious as to what the atheist women of this site think of this article.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0424/p09s02-coop.html

One of the bloggers of Feministing (a mainstream liberal feminist site) is Courtney E. Martin who wrote this article in 2007 for the Christian Science Monitor:

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, let me re-phrase

For some reason my opening thread got jumbled. Sorry but let me re-phrase.

We often rightfully blame the conservative/Christian right for for their irrational claims. But even the so called "enlightened" secular left spew out their share of anti-intellectual garbage.

One of the bloggers of Feministing (a mainstream liberal feminist site) is Courtney E. Martin who wrote this article in 2007 for the Christian Science Monitor:

For girls who hate their bodies: a spiritual crisis

And here is the URL:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0424/p09s02-coop.html

Ms. Martin essentially concludes that godlessness and the spiritual void in young women are significant contributors to adherence to beauty standards. I know far too many atheist/freethinking women who would completely disagree. An argument could be made as to whether air brushed images of Angelina Jolie lowers a girl’s self esteem leading to anorexia/bulimia (which I disagree) but not believing in spirituality? And this is an argument coming from a mainstream feminist. Although I tend to agree with some of the feminist mantra, I don’t think that mainstream feminism necessarily jives with skepticism or atheism.

I'm curious as to what the atheist women of this site think of this article.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
From the link:Quote:Girls

From the link:

Quote:
Girls Inc. just published the results of its depressing, nationwide survey called "The Supergirl Dilemma," which reveals that girls' obsession with thinness has gotten significantly worse in the past six years.

I'm really interested in knowing how this information was obtained.  No offense to anyone this might apply to, but I've seen more girls' guts hanging over pants in the past five years than ever before.  We are a fatass country.

Quote:
Despite the efforts of the Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty – well-intentioned, though undeniably market-driven – and Love Your Body Day events sweeping every school from San Francisco to Syracuse, 90 percent of teenage girls think they are overweight today, compared with 24 percent in 1995, according to a recent ELLEgirl survey.

Well, duh.  A lot of girls are overweight.  More today than twenty years ago.  I'm too lazy to cite this.  Look it up yourself.  It's true. 

I'm extremely skeptical of the 24% in 95 jumping to 90% today.  Were the studies conducted the same way, with the same questions, and same controls?

Quote:
But there is also another profoundly important – yet little noticed – dynamic at work in the anxious, achievement-oriented lives of America's perfect girls: They have a sometimes deadly, often destructive, lack of faith.

Fuck the fuck off you fucking fuck.

Quote:
Overlay our dearth of spiritual exploration with our excess of training in ambition – never mind SAT prep courses; today, even community service is linked to college application brownie points – and you have a generation of godless girls. We were raised largely without a fundamental sense of divinity. In fact, our worth in the world has always been tied to our looks, grades, and gifts – not the amazing miracle of mere existence.

Ok.  Now I am going to cite statistics.

America:  Obese = 30%

Sweden: Obese = 9%

America: 85-88% religious

Sweden: 85% non-religious

Again, I say "FUCK THE FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING FUCK."

Quote:
The worst of this can be seen in the frightening websites that purport to be support groups for girls with anorexia and bulimia. Such sites claim that these two disorders are a religion, not a disease, and pray to false gods named after them: Ana and Mia. Though highly deluded and dangerously ill, girls who frequent these sites have taken the black hole at their centers and filled it with an obsessive faith in the power and purity of thinness. In essence, they are crying out to our godless culture, showing us just how damaged a child can be who is thrown to the wolves of advertising and amoral media without any spiritual armor.

What the fuck?  They have faith in a cult of thinness, so atheism is to blame? What an ignorant twat.

This kind of twaddle deserves nothing less than complete ridicule. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity&ob=ws

http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/23/least-religious-countries/

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a bunch of crap that

What a bunch of crap that article was.  Where were the statistics?  Frankly, Hamby is spot on.  This is a fat country and I see muffin top spillage everywhere I look.  Sure, the celebrities are still rail thin (which is just as gross as someone's fat jiggling out over their jeans) but kids these days are fucking fat.  Girls included.  I just don't think they realize it since we're apparently not supposed to upset their delicate little brains by telling them to get some exercise. 

Sorry to rant but I happen to think that the current generation or two of teenagers are just plain lazy and spoiled.  I work with quite a few of them and if you criticize them or tell them that they aren't perfect they have an utter meltdown and call HR.  I imagine the same would go for body image.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
Christians can't get their

Christians can't get their story straight. John Murray, the son of Madalyn Murray O'Hair who became a christian, blames his mother's obesity on her atheism, even though I see plenty of grossly overweight preachers out there like the late Jerry Falwell and the extant John Hagee. (Vox Day also claims that male "low church atheists," as he calls them, tend to have weight problems.)

Now somebody wants to blame atheism for women's anorexia. Go figure.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another example of awful

Another example of awful statistical inference on the part of our Christian bretheren. *sigh* Stats 101 anybody?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Stats are an extremly tricky

Stats are an extremly tricky subject.

First in American culture, Mcdonalds are all around so that could contribute to obesity, also American media is bombarded with super models,  pop stars, so another extreme. 'Eat fatty foods, stay thin!' Complete overload....

Anyway...

So yeah, just another example of somebody fucking up stats.

Simple rule of thumb:

NO CALCULATIONS: NO STATS.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Frankly, Hamby is spot

Quote:
Frankly, Hamby is spot on.

Pariah, I never get tired of hearing you say that... or... um... reading you type that...  err... whatever.  You know what I mean.

Quote:
I work with quite a few of them and if you criticize them or tell them that they aren't perfect they have an utter meltdown and call HR.

I'm pretty sure adults in every generation have said exactly the same thing.  I wouldn't take a hundred thousand dollars to be a teenager again.

Quote:
Sure, the celebrities are still rail thin

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing I don't get.

One thing I don't get. Christians are the ones starving themselves,er I mean fasting,but non-religious are the ones with eating problems? I've never seen an atheist not eat for a week for no good reason.Who has the unhealthy eating habits now?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I've never seen an

Quote:
I've never seen an atheist not eat for a week for no good reason.

Wellll.....

Actually, I know a lot of people who think veganism is a good idea and also believe that 'cleansing' the body is a great thing to do.  Many of them are atheists.

Atheists, unfortunately, are not immune to all irrationality.  Hell, I know atheists who believe in alien abductions.

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I've never seen an atheist not eat for a week for no good reason.

Wellll.....

Actually, I know a lot of people who think veganism is a good idea and also believe that 'cleansing' the body is a great thing to do.  Many of them are atheists.

Atheists, unfortunately, are not immune to all irrationality.  Hell, I know atheists who believe in alien abductions.

Ah well.You can't hope to win the war and and all the battles right. you certainly wouldn't catch this particualr atheist not eating though. And since I'm pretty much the only atheist I know IRL, I couldn't see a atheist eat or not eat for a week anyway

PS..you mean aliens don't abduct people?!?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
This is completely off base. species

This is completely off base. Before i graduted last year all the girls in my grade who were christians were totally ugly and  overly Obese, but the girls who were of non-belief or just didn't really have a specific faith were really Hot.  I hated high school...
No aliens don't abduct people. That would serve no purpose, we are a lower species that has a large amount of cadavers at there disposal

Edited: so i could add more...

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
How does this establish

How does this establish causality?

They could have it backwards... Maybe fat people flock to religion, because even though they don't fit in with societal standards, god still loves them the way they are. (nevermind the "gluttony is a sin" thing.. )

However, I do think that religious people tend to make an effort not to concern themselves with things that are "of the world" (as an homage to whatever bible verse it was that says to "be in the world, but not of the world." I know that at least at my high school, no matter how many times they told us that in chapel, a certain percentage of students still read US weekly and adhered to current fashion trends.) It could be that because many religious people push themselves away from the influence of society and culture, it may mean that they're not constantly coveting the appearance of others. But just because religion may "prevent" eating disorders doesn't mean the converse is true: that atheism causes eating disorders.

As a recovered anorexic/bulimic, I can tell you that the peak of my religiosity coincided with the peak of my disordered eating. I'm not using this to establish any sort of causality, because faith and non-faith had nothing to do with my relationship with food. I think I used religion as a crutch, because I felt miserable, and I was hoping that there was some divine power that could set things right & help me feel better. Unfortunately, if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

Anyways, I think the whole article is pointless. They're trying to establish a link where there is none, and are skewing data to see the results they want to see.

SabbySu
SabbySu's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a worthless article. I

What a worthless article. I think Hambys stats are enough. It reminds me of all the fuss the eating disorder alliance threw over Apple's advertising slogan for one of their computers... "Because you can never be to thin or to powerful" which of course they were referring to the machine! They demanded it be reworded or removed out of respect to those that might trigger or worsen their eating disorder. (what bs is that) To go off on a rant... I'd seriously like to know why obesity isn't considered an eating disorder.

Besides myself and a close friend of mine, both of us recovered anorexics. She was religious then and still is to this day. For her, anorexia was a way to feel like she had control in her life. For me it was a way for me to completely avoid dealing with the shitty reality of my child hood/ teen years. Either way our anorexia had nothing to do with religion. It had nothing to do with the super models, or the judgemental comments we got from fellow teens. In fact if anything I found myself wishing I could be fat so people would stop being so annoying about how they were fat and I wasn't.

Totally retarded attempt at making a crack at atheism by someone who obviously has no understanding of anorexia.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism and self-esteem

As a personal observation, I find that atheist/freethinking women have higher self-esteem ie. comfortable with their bodies, personalities, etc.. Now I may be of course way off on this one but the atheist women I know tend to have a healthy "I couldn't give a fuck what other people think" attitude.

I'd be interested in anorexia stats among atheist versus religious women or if there is a correlation between religiousity and self-esteem.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I looked for some studies.

I looked for some studies. Damn journals requiring a subscribtion, but I found some abstracts:

From This abstract:

This study investigated the relationship of religious orientation, religious affiliation, and spiritual well-being with treatment outcomes in an eating disorder inpatient treatment program. Participants were 251 women diagnosed with an eating disorder. Gain scores on the Eating Attitudes Test, Body Shape Questionnaire, Outcome Questionnaire 45.2, and therapist improvement ratings were used as outcome measures. Multiple regression analyses revealed that neither intrinsic religiousness nor religious affiliation were associated with treatment outcomes. Pearson correlations revealed that improvements in spiritual well-being during treatment were significantly associated with positive gains in eating attitudes, less body shape concerns, and positive psychological and social functioning.      Also, I believe the rate of anorexia is ~1% of the population regardless of country. And it is more prevalent in females than in males.  

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I looked

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I looked for some studies. Damn journals requiring a subscribtion, but I found some abstracts:

From This abstract:

This study investigated the relationship of religious orientation, religious affiliation, and spiritual well-being with treatment outcomes in an eating disorder inpatient treatment program. Participants were 251 women diagnosed with an eating disorder. Gain scores on the Eating Attitudes Test, Body Shape Questionnaire, Outcome Questionnaire 45.2, and therapist improvement ratings were used as outcome measures. Multiple regression analyses revealed that neither intrinsic religiousness nor religious affiliation were associated with treatment outcomes. Pearson correlations revealed that improvements in spiritual well-being during treatment were significantly associated with positive gains in eating attitudes, less body shape concerns, and positive psychological and social functioning.      Also, I believe the rate of anorexia is ~1% of the population regardless of country. And it is more prevalent in females than in males.  

Well I had the opportunity to review this article and the patient population included no atheists. None of the staff at the center are atheists. The scales to measure spirituality and religiousity are unavailable to review. Could these scales be applied accurately to atheists? Also the authors of the study are religiously biased. They endorse a "spiritual" path to recovery from eating disorders. When women enrolled into this study, the existence of a spiritual realm is not questioned. IMO, this study cannot be applied to women who are freethinkers or atheists.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote: Well I had

ragdish wrote:

Well I had the opportunity to review this article and the patient population included no atheists. None of the staff at the center are atheists. The scales to measure spirituality and religiousity are unavailable to review. Could these scales be applied accurately to atheists?

I would guess they would put N/A or something to that effect in religiousity/spirtual questions.

Quote:

Also the authors of the study are religiously biased. They endorse a "spiritual" path to recovery from eating disorders. When women enrolled into this study, the existence of a spiritual realm is not questioned. IMO, this study cannot be applied to women who are freethinkers or atheists.

Really? And what parts made you think they had a religious bias?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AJP study CONCLUSIONS:

AJP study

CONCLUSIONS: Religiosity is a complex, multidimensional construct with substantial associations with lifetime psychopathology. Some dimensions of religiosity are related to reduced risk specifically for internalizing disorders, and others to reduced risk specifically for externalizing disorders, while still others are less specific in their associations. These results do not address the nature of the causal link between religiosity and risk for illness.

Another British study

setDOI("ADOI=10.1002/1098-108X(199212)12:4<397::AID-EAT2260120407>3.0.CO;2-2")

Abstract

This study examines aspects of the relationship between religious belief and anorexia ner-vosa. It uses data from postal questionnaires sent to members of a U.K. national self-help organization for people with eating disorders which elicited a profile of symptoms and other clinical data and information about personal and family religious beliefs. The data suggest that the majority of respondents were or had been afflicted with anorexia nervosa. Subjects with a religion, particularly those with strong beliefs, and particularly those who were Anglican, reported particularly lowest ever adult Body Mass Indices (BMIs). Part of the explanation for these findings would seem to be an increase in the importance of subjects' religious beliefs during their anorectic illnesses. Conversely, bulimic symptomatology seemed to be associated with a weakening of subjects' beliefs. Religious conversion seemed to serve as a protective function against severe weight loss. © 1992 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Really? And what parts

Quote:

I don't mean to speak for ragdish, but um... you did quote him as saying "They endorse a "spiritual" path to recovery from eating disorders."  Endorsing spirituality would be bias, would it not?

I'm as interested as you in knowing whether or not there's something to the claim of bias.  Did either of you get this information about their endorsements from their own words, or the company website, or what?

Having said that, as data goes, I just don't see how this can really offer any meaningful insight into the original question, which is whether or not a lack of faith causes eating disorders.  This study dealt with how people overcame eating disorders.  I've seen studies where placebos in place of real appetite suppressants had beneficial effects.  I'm not about to say that sugar pills cause eating disorders... duh.

Quote:
I would guess they would put N/A or something to that effect in religiousity/spirtual questions.

This does not address the question, which is "HEY!  What measure did you use?"  Also, even if N/A is an option, a self-made questionnaire would certainly not meet the standards of unbiased and inclusive if they endorse spirituality in the program itself.  If they didn't use a self-made one, which measure did they use?  Why is it unavailable?

Wow.  I could have just started an argument over whether or not the Cubs will ever win the World Series.  That would at least be interesting and completely irrelevant to the conversation, instead of insipid and irrelevant.

Anyway... the reason I was jumping back into the conversation was because of the question of obesity being an eating disorder.  I think one of the real problems with eating disorders is that they're often misnomers, and in lay conversation, the focus gets lost.  Anorexia/bulemia are not problems with eating.  They're problems with the person's feelings about eating, which are entirely different.  You don't solve eating disorders by regulating food.  You do it by addressing the underlying psychological reasons for the disorder.

Oddly, overeating may not always be a symptom of a problem.  In fact, we have pretty good reasons to believe that our propensity to gorge ourselves was a beneficial evolutionary adaptation.  When you only killed a gazelle every few weeks, it was in your best interest to eat literally as much as your stomach could hold, because you didn't know when you might eat again.  Those extra few bites after being 'full' might be the energy that would get you those extra three steps in the chase a week from now.

Our bodies are not evolved to cope with the availability of candy bars and Cokes.  We're certainly not adapted to three balanced meals a day.  For the vast majority of our time on earth, we've eaten every time we get the chance, whenever that may be.

Long way around my ass to get to my elbow and say, many people with muffin tops don't (IMO) have an eating disorder.  What they have is an industrial disorder.  If the cheap food wasn't so bad for them, and if there wasn't so much of it available, they wouldn't have the baggage.  Those fat girls in every doctors office are suffering from sitting their big asses in chairs for eight hours a day, sitting in the car to drive home, and sitting in front of the TV until laying in bed.

Lest I sound biased against the girth-challenged, I usually lean towards blaming groups for individual faults.  I'm not going to stand in judgment of any particular set of thunder thighs.  People need to work, and unless you want to get up at three in the morning to walk, most people need to drive to work.  It's not any one person's fault that none of their neighbors play badminton in the apartment complex's parking lot.  Working up the individual motivation to eat healthy, exercise regularly AND hold down a 40 hour a week job, ten hours of transit, a family, and a little down time, is very hard.

I'm part of the problem in this.  My restaurant, because it must compete with all the other restaurants, has to serve huge portions.  Our food is damn healthy if you eat a reasonable amount of it, but the food industry, because there are only a limited number of things you can do to compete, literally forces people to decide between finishing their plates, which, every mom will tell you is a virtue, or "not getting their money's worth" by leaving food on the plate.  After all, there are starving people in Africa who would love to have what you leave on the plate!

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a broader question,

There's a broader question, as well.  If beer guts and muffin tops are the result of unnaturally large amounts of food being available, and insane amounts of fats, salts, and sugars being added to food that's had all the nutrients processed out of it, is it perhaps time to stop looking at a symptom -- girls with eating disorders -- and address the question of whether or not the food industry itself is the real culprit behind our detrimental eating habits?

I don't know the answer, but it's a question that ought to be addressed.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I don't mean to speak for ragdish, but um... you did quote him as saying "They endorse a "spiritual" path to recovery from eating disorders."  Endorsing spirituality would be bias, would it not?

I'm as interested as you in knowing whether or not there's something to the claim of bias.  Did either of you get this information about their endorsements from their own words, or the company website, or what?

Having said that, as data goes, I just don't see how this can really offer any meaningful insight into the original question, which is whether or not a lack of faith causes eating disorders.  This study dealt with how people overcame eating disorders.  I've seen studies where placebos in place of real appetite suppressants had beneficial effects.  I'm not about to say that sugar pills cause eating disorders... duh.

I was looking for a study that they could have used. Whether that was their ass, or an actual study.

Perhaps she interputed religious people overcoming eating disorders as 'proof' of her assertion. Or she used a different study, or something. I was trying to find the basis for her claim.

If you look at the British abstract, religion is negativly correlated with BMI.

I need to blow the dust off my stats book and come up with topic of how to read stats. All the U.S study shows is that in the U.S people in the program with high religiousity recover faster, and all the British study show is that those who's religiousity is higher had a lower BMI.

It doesn't show religion or lack there of causes or helps treat anorexia, but I thought maybe she used a study like that.

Quote:

Quote:

This does not address the question, which is "HEY!  What measure did you use?"  Also, even if N/A is an option, a self-made questionnaire would certainly not meet the standards of unbiased and inclusive if they endorse spirituality in the program itself.  If they didn't use a self-made one, which measure did they use?  Why is it unavailable?

Wow.  I could have just started an argument over whether or not the Cubs will ever win the World Series.  That would at least be interesting and completely irrelevant to the conversation, instead of insipid and irrelevant.

ragdish asked how they could be applied to atheist. I assume that is what they would answer.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh and no, I didn't look up

Oh and no, I didn't look up the company or the authors of the study for endorsements, opinions, beliefs or lack there of.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was looking for a

Quote:
I was looking for a study that they could have used. Whether that was their ass, or an actual study.

Smiling

Quote:
Perhaps she interputed religious people overcoming eating disorders as 'proof' of her assertion. Or she used a different study, or something. I was trying to find the basis for her claim.

I'll give you props for um... hmm... seriously, I think it's admirable that you're actually trying, but I can't think of the name of a virtue to give you props for... 

Quote:
If you look at the British abstract, religion is negativly correlated with BMI.

Out of all the societal ills I think religion is a factor in, this one is way down on my list, so I haven't really done much research, and I haven't worked myself up enough to read any of the abstracts.  All I have is my own observations, which are that I don't recall knowing any fat atheist women who thought they ought to be treated the same as anyone else because their soul was in the right place.  Like so many other things, religion (specifically Christianity) provides an opportunity (whether people take the opportunity is what the stats are for... philosophically, it is certain) for people to slough off personal responsibility for their appearance.  It's not the only way to give up trying to be fit, but it's an easy way.

Oh, and for the record, I forgot to mention another objection to any studies of eating disorder treatment as relevant to this assertion.  The only people surveyed are those who made an effort to solve their problems!  This is a biased sample, and can't tell us anything about the population at large, most of whom never enter into any kind of treatment.

Books about atheism