Why Does an Atheist Give to Charity?

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
Posts: 71
Joined: 2007-06-07
User is offlineOffline
Why Does an Atheist Give to Charity?

For no reason other than I feel for their pain... I cringe at the sight of a beaten animal, and I tear at the sight/sound of a hungry animal (human or otherwise) grasping for life.

I give so at least 1 more animal, 1 more human, can wake up the next morning and eat. So that they can get up and walk outside and not fear death and decay the way they did the day before. I give so they can enjoy life, even if only for a minute.

I don't give because God said so, I don't give because I want their opinion to be in line with mine, I don't give because my mom and dad will find me "unholy" or "improper".

 

I give, we give, because their pain is a horrid thing to experience, witness, have to go through.

 


LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
Posts: 768
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Well spoken. Er... written.

Well spoken. Er... written.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13757
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Why do atheists give to

Why do atheists give to charity? Because BBQing kittens isn't that popular?

Empathy is why humans do it, labels don't matter. We see mammals in other species do the same thing. Being godless doesn't mean we have to ask ourselves such a question., when "human nature" will suffice.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
I help people because it

I help people because it fucking feels GREAT! The rush I get from helping someone has been more addictive than any substance I've imbibed.

I receive extra special tingles when I relay HOW I have helped someone else ESPECIALLY when I'm the only one to help in certain situations.

Some people have to look into the mirror and convince themselves that they are a good person. I look into the mirror and blush from past accolades and future expectations.

Conversely when I can't help people, it affects me in much the same manner as withdrawal symptoms.

It isn't from any kind of programmed 'altruism' either. It's not my 'anti-drug' either. Charity IS my drug.

It's gotta 'start at home' though. My 'own' have to be served long before others. That means family, RRS, and then the wayward.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Because God certainly isn't

Because God certainly isn't helping.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Because

Hambydammit wrote:

Because God certainly isn't helping.

God helps those who help themselves.

...

Ba-hahahaha!

Hanging on to money like it's your balls when other people are in a shitty situation would be a pretty unfortunate way to live. You don't need anything supernatural to know that.

 

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
Posts: 41
Joined: 2008-03-05
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

I give to charity because I'm a care bear.  I'm religious and all but I think giving to others to please God is selfish in nature.  "Yay I gave, now God will like me" - nonsense!  Give because your heart tells you that those in need are living hell not because your arbiter says so..  Seems pathetic, cowardly, etc that people give solely "because God wants that."

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.


WBFL
Posts: 37
Joined: 2008-03-09
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:God helps

HisWillness wrote:

God helps those who help themselves.

Sounds rather convenient.


Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
Posts: 485
Joined: 2007-05-16
User is offlineOffline
Personally I only support

Personally I only support one small charity. it has a simple aim, to try to give every person on the planet access to clean water

Giving to organizations that provide food aid ? is this the right thing to do ? in some cases  long-term will this not increase and perpetuate the suffering ?


 


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote:Giving to

Rev_Devilin wrote:

Giving to organizations that provide food aid ? is this the right thing to do ? in some cases  long-term will this not increase and perpetuate the suffering ? 

Give someone a fish and they'll eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime. Tell them to pray for a fish and they'll fucking STARVE.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:God helps those who

Quote:

God helps those who help themselves.

This reminds me of the unspoken motto of the Republican Party: "We help those who already have the means to help themselves".

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


michaelclarke
michaelclarke's picture
Posts: 4
Joined: 2007-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Vested Interests

In part it's selfishness. I hope that the agencies I have given money to will be still around one day to help me if i need it. And this contributes to a better world that I live in.( the only one atheists have)

In part, because it's simply the morally right thing to do. Why do theists have to put a god in the picture?

Philospohy is about questions that can't be answered.

Religion is about answers that can't be questioned.

Mike Clarke


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Hanging on

HisWillness wrote:

Hanging on to money like it's your balls when other people are in a shitty situation would be a pretty unfortunate way to live. You don't need anything supernatural to know that.

 

I disagree.  I work hard for my money and don't see anything 'unfortunate' about not sharing it with people who are having a shitty time.  To be perfectly honest, it's not my problem that the homeless guy down the street has a drug problem and needs my money.  It's his problem. 

That being said, I do contribute to charities when I can afford to (I'm not even remotely wealthy by any stretch of the means).  I contribute to causes or organizations that I feel are valuable and important in some way. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


Maytacera
Maytacera's picture
Posts: 38
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Why?

...Because I feel like it, basically.

I donate to a charity if I like the cause...I would rather have everything run through charities rather than government hand out programs.


Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
Posts: 54
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
Religious_Rebel wrote:I give

Religious_Rebel wrote:

I give to charity because I'm a care bear.  I'm religious and all but I think giving to others to please God is selfish in nature.  "Yay I gave, now God will like me" - nonsense!  Give because your heart tells you that those in need are living hell not because your arbiter says so..  Seems pathetic, cowardly, etc that people give solely "because God wants that."

 

Those are probably the same people who only believe in god (or say they do) because they are afraid of hell and are just hedging their bets.

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-