User is offlineOffline
I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Should

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Should I feel crushed or something ?     Reality is what it is..not what we wish it to be. 

At least I can respect myself knowing that I face the good and the bad without resorting to comforting myths as a shield and pacifier.

Remember, "reality" doesn't care if "you respected yourself or not." In the vast scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

Conscious-awareness is eternal (i.e. non-temporal).

You're introducing the concept of what's usually called a soul?

I don't have one. What's it like?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Lots of

shikko wrote:
Lots of traditional approaches to things have been superseded by things that ACTUALLY WORK. 

*tear* I love you guys. *sniff*

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conscious-awareness is eternal

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
More than a hundred posts have gone by since I asked him "Eternal life in what way? How do you demonstrate that as a part of an uncaring Universal Mind? Please bring forth such evidence and place on the lab table."

I actually did get that from your other posts. I do not find agreement with your position however. I'm still one that claims lack of knowledge of the Universe. It may be you are absolutely right, or even those who practice one of the other thousands of religions. I don't do mystic, spiritual, or non-physical. It may be that we are all inter-connected by universal consciouness, though I don't feel it, touch it or experience it. It may be I'm just blind to it or it may be that it only is shown to those who are mystic.

If it works for you and you don't build altars to sacrifice virgins, crash planes into buildings, or declare it to be required for all citizens of your country, then I have no issue with you. You are aware of what you are doing and have justified your position to yourself. You can't claim that, you didn't know, because you have demonstrated knowledge of opposing viewpoints. I absolutely don't agree with you, but you are entitled to believe what you'd like. Your original request for help was BS, but I'll let that go.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I have no clue either. Maybe it's all sparky and such.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

tothiel
tothiel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

Naked assertion.

Quote:
Remember, "reality" doesn't care if "you respected yourself or not." In the vast scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

In the vast scheme of things the only thing that matters is rather 'you' respected your life or not. The universe being indifferent is a non issue. Also, you managed to ignore the fact that he stated:

"At least 'I' can respect 'myself' knowing that 'I' face the good and the bad without resorting to comforting myths as a shield and pacifier."

As you can see he was referring to how he felt about himself. Your quip about the universe not caring is out of place and doesn't properly associate itself with his post.

HisWillness wrote:

They itch. (I traded mine for a laptop.)

As through a glass darkly you seek yourself,
But the light grows weak while under Yggdrasil. --clutch

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Begging

zarathustra wrote:
Begging your pardon, but this is false.  Beliefs can be rational, or irrational.  So yes, you can have one without the other.

Whether a particular belief is rational or not doesn't change the fact that rational thought entails belief. Every logical argument begins with a premise or an assumption (i.e. a belief).

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know.

Well that is troubling, indeed.  Troubling first that you concede it might be a "basic presupposition", as basic presuppositions are irrational.  Troubling second that you don't know whether your belief was logically deduced, or illogically presupposed.

Why is it irrational?

zarathustra wrote:
Paisely wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

Whereby you implied that pantheistic worldview is rational.  It was at this point that I entreated you to:

I believe the atheistic worldview is irrational because it views life as being ultimately absurd. An absurd view of life is an irrational worldview.

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

This is most intriguing, but you will kindly acknowledge that "feeling a prescence" and subjectively calling it "god" does not serve to:

Quote:
explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

Perhaps, you're right. It's not a belief arrived at rationally. It's probably a spiritual intuition borne out of an inner sensing or "knowing." I believe they call this faith.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I would think that the basic presumption of the mind/body problem should be dualism until proven otherwise.

Avoiding the original discussion is cute. I already listed evidence for a physical mind, including brain injuries and psychoactive drugs. If you have evidence for dualism, bring it. Thinking the weaker argument is better by virtue of historical precedent is ridiculous.

I didn't realize that science discovered the chemical composition for conscious-awareness.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
But the point is that you have taken a metaphysical position. It's called materialism. And your metaphysical bias will not allow you to interpret evidence honestly.

Oh come on. What a cop-out. You'd present the evidence, only I'm not ready to see it because I'm so biased? AND I'm dishonest? Have I lied? Are there magic fairies from magic fairy land that I know about, and I'm just being stubborn?

If the punchline here is going to be "read the Gospel", you might as well tell me right now.

You have already demonstrated your unwillingness to accept the evidence of QM.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:
And your metaphysical bias will not allow you to interpret evidence honestly.

How ridiculous.  Your statement implies that as atheists we are incapable of comprehending your thesis ...if you believe that to be true then why would you even make an attempt to explain your theistic views by starting this thread? 

It's not a comphrension problem, but an attitude problem. A materialistic bias will influence how one interprets the evidence.  

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

Perhaps, you're right. It's not a belief arrived at rationally. It's probably a spiritual intuition borne out of an inner sensing or "knowing." I believe they call this faith.

Thank you for finally admitting your faith is irrational.

Now why again were you claiming that it was atheism that had to be an irrational belief?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Paisley

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
magilum wrote:
Appeal to authority.
Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective. You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

Every human endeavor has been based on the assumption that there's at least a functional difference between views established by systematic analysis of some form or another; whether there's an attainable fundamental reality is another matter that doesn't detract from this difference. If an established scientific principle, that's used practically, and for all intents and purposes appears to describe reality in a predictable way, is somehow usurped by an even more fundamental understanding of reality, it remains that the principle was both practical and plausible. The Greeks, for instance, had a model for a geocentric universe which they found mathematically plausible. It was shown false, but it did have a justification in the absence of further evidence. Your argument seems to be that there's no such thing as a valid argument; because your arguments are themselves invalid. The worst thing that could happen to your argument is that you're right about that; in which case you'd be committing a stolen concept fallacy for arguing in the first place.

What's at issue here is not whether the working assumption of materialism is practical, but whether it is ultimately true.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:You can't

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
You can't determine the presence of  inner experience (conscious-awareness) from external behavior except by inferring it.

Argument from ignorance. That's all there is to that.

The fact is that the mind/body issue is still hotly debated in academia.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:Unless,

lifewhispers wrote:
Unless, we're talking past each other.  Just how do you define "absolute truth?"

The experience of "sat chit ananda" or "nondual awareness."

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
The fixing continues

In the interest of economy, I shall handle your two previous responses in tandem:

Paisley wrote:

I've already explained it.

I'm afraid you have not.  Your first two (2) attempts at explanation were nothing more than single-sentence replies, namely:

Neither of these statements bear any logical connectivity to your purported conclusion, and hence both statements fail to:

Quote:

Proceeding,

Paisley wrote:

...It seems more reasonable to me to believe that conscious-awareness is more fundamental than dead, lifeless matter.

With deepest apologies, I must yet again point out that what "seems" to you "more reasonable" does not qualify as a rational explanation, particularly when you do not provide the premises upon which it "seems more reasonable".  So like the aforementioned single-sentence replies, this one likewise does not:

Quote:

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Begging your pardon, but this is false.  Beliefs can be rational, or irrational.  So yes, you can have one without the other.

Whether a particular belief is rational or not doesn't change the fact that rational thought entails belief. Every logical argument begins with a premise or an assumption (i.e. a belief).

Very well.  However, that does not change the fact that you can have one without the other (i.e., rationality and belief).  Therefore, your previous statement (to which I was responding):

remains insufficient to:

Quote:

If you require assistance on forming a rational proof, I for one would be happy to help, as I am sure others would.  However, were you to seek assistance, it might serve to indicate that you had not actually rationally deduced your pantheistic belief as you previously claimed, which would thence indicate that you have in fact been prevaricating this entire time.  Please advise.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know.

Well that is troubling, indeed.  Troubling first that you concede it might be a "basic presupposition", as basic presuppositions are irrational.  Troubling second that you don't know whether your belief was logically deduced, or illogically presupposed.

Why is it irrational?

Surely you know that presupposition is irrational, as it has no premises on which to rely.  You cannot soundly presuppose that pantheism is true any more than I can soundly presuppose that it is false.  You effectively conceded this yourself in the above quote, as you independently distinguished between "logical conclusion" and "basic presupposition".

Paisley wrote:

I believe the atheistic worldview is irrational because it views life as being ultimately absurd. An absurd view of life is an irrational worldview.

These are two naked assertions in succession.  To avoid distraction, I will leave the first one be.  For you to assert that "An absurd view of life is an irrational worldview", you would be obliged to prove that life is in fact non-absurd.  It would be fitting for you to do so now, if you at all intend to:

Quote:
explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief

on this sixth (6th) occasion of my asking.  Having albeit briefly intimated the mechanics of rational proof, and having offered further assistance should this have been inadequate, I do not expect to see our fruitful discussion scuttled by yet another single-statement non-sequitur.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

This is most intriguing, but you will kindly acknowledge that "feeling a prescence" and subjectively calling it "god" does not serve to:

Quote:

So now on post #270, at long last, I perceive a tentative disavowal of the claim made on post #50, that your pantheistic belief was rationally based, even as you spent the better part of this post contending that it was.  Which would strongly that you have indeed been tergiversatory this whole while in articulating the basis for your beliefs.  To think that you have been knowingly duplicit would be so insulting as to put my humours in painful imbalance.  I will therefore close my eyes to this apparent  effrontery for the moment, and leave it to be amended,  by the honest Paisely, the rational Paisely, the Paisely who through 200+ posts has demonstrated nothing but integrity and consistency. 

However, if you have hereby unequivocally acknowledged that your belief is not rational ( "It's not a belief arrived at rationally" ), we can safely conclude our exercises, and consider your belief in god "fixed". 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:And, your

lifewhispers wrote:
And, your proof of the existence of such a Universal Mind/Spirit would be?

I don't have a proof.

lifewhispers wrote:
Sorry, for the pedantry; but, I hope you understand. I have quite purposely avoided defining God as anything that is not self-evident. The truth always stands on its own; so, to define God as All that is True in the Universe is to define God as something that, by definition, cannot be false - yet, requires no evidence, proof, or even comprehension of what "truth" is.

This is not self-evident to me.

lifewhispers wrote:
Now, if you have a self-evident explanation that allows your definition of God to be tenable, I am quite open to hearing it. So, please, present your evidence of a Universal Mind/Spirit.

At the very least, I would say that God is consciously-aware. This is self-evident to me.

lifewhispers wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

You have constructed a straw man of atheism to pummel. That is logically fallacious. It is not your place to arbitrarily force your idea of atheistic materialism on all atheists.

I'm fully aware that not all atheists subscribe to materialism. However, I don't know of any viable metaphysical system other than materialism that doesn't entail some kind of God-concept.

lifewhispers wrote:
You have arbitrarily decided that atheists have no "ultimate purpose" and you have then arbitrarily decided that's absurd, and therefore, irrational - without the first shred of evidence that atheists subscribe to any such notions as you have slapped on them.

If an atheist believes that life has an ultimate purpose, then I consider this a teleological argument for the existence of God.

lifewhispers wrote:
[An atheist's ultimate purpose need only be to experience all he/she can experience to render your characterization false and unfair. After all, who are you to declare the "ultimate purpose" for others?

In the atheistic worldview, whether an atheist experiences all he can experience is meaningless in the vast scheme of things. The universe could care less (metaphorically speaking).

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:lifewhispers

Paisley wrote:

lifewhispers wrote:
Sorry, for the pedantry; but, I hope you understand. I have quite purposely avoided defining God as anything that is not self-evident. The truth always stands on its own; so, to define God as All that is True in the Universe is to define God as something that, by definition, cannot be false - yet, requires no evidence, proof, or even comprehension of what "truth" is.

This is not self-evident to me.

lifewhispers wrote:
Now, if you have a self-evident explanation that allows your definition of God to be tenable, I am quite open to hearing it. So, please, present your evidence of a Universal Mind/Spirit.

At the very least, I would say that God is consciously-aware. This is self-evident to me.

You two should debate more often.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: In the

Paisley wrote:

In the atheistic worldview, whether an atheist experiences all he can experience is meaningless in the vast scheme of things. The universe could care less (metaphorically speaking).

I agree. I accept that I am insignificant in the "vast scheme of things".  Even among  my own species, which now number over 6 billion, I am insignificant beyond the  small sphere of my personal influence. Since that is an issue that is beyond my control why should it bother me ?

I accept that I will die and be forgotten.  The same is true of every generation that is born and then passes away into obscurity, never to return.  The process is beyond my control.

The universe is cruel and indifferent....so, what should I do throw a temper tantrum ?  Hire an attorney and file a lawsuit ?

Or better yet, perhaps to elevate my sense of self-worth I will do as so many others have done and simply tap into my imagination and invent a god to jealously fawn over me.

"Our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness."  Vladimir Nabokov ( 1899-1977) Russian-American novelist

"Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen." Michel de Montaigne ( 1533-1592)

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:Eternal

lifewhispers wrote:
Eternal life for you?  You believe that you, as a human consciousness, will maintain your individuality indefinitely?  Is that what you believe?  If so, how does that work?

There appears to be a higher self and a lower self. The higher self is eternal; the lower self is temporal. Whether there is only one soul or many is the difference between pantheism and panentheism. On this point, I'm somewhat agnostic. 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Paisley

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Thank you for finally admitting your faith is irrational.

Now why again were you claiming that it was atheism that had to be an irrational belief?

I 'm not admitting this.

It appears that you are conflating the ideas of the nonrational with the irrational; they're not the same. Faith is nonrational because it is not derived by logical analysis but by an intuitive spiritual sense.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Eloise

nigelTheBold wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I've had a discussion just like this with DG. I've tried to find it but I cannot. In any case the evidence you're asking for builds from the quantum level that the sum of interactions which make up the consciousness and the thing affecting are not bound as they are in the classical realm. So to say that the quanta of the brain has as much freedom to maintain or change the interactions with the quanta of the impeding object. This evolves to a relational interpretation of quantum mechanics in which the sum of interactions between consciousness and an impeding object is as much reliant on the state of the consciousness as it is on the state of the classical force. In short this reduces everything to an equality. The blunt object injures the brain because blunt object in brain = injured brain ; injured brain = blunt object in brain.  Both systems move simultaneously toward the same result or it doesn't happen.

This isn't an argument for dualism though, the basis of this argument is that the duality of the two systems is a differentiation of properties of a neutral monism.

Are you suggesting that trauma to the head is ruled by quantum waveforms, and only exists once observed by the consciousness of the brain itself?

No. I'm not implying observation or consciousness is some supernal magnum atque magnificum, if that's what you mean.  It is just a relational state.

Quote:

Or am I completely misreading you here?

possibly.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Paisley

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Sam Harris seems to have had a different take on mysticism.

Quote:
There is a form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that transcends the vagaries of experience itself. I will use both "spirituality" and "mysticism" interchangeably here, because there are no alternatives. pg. 205 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

No, he didn't.

His belief was that "traditional" mystic practices in conjunction with "traditional" scientific method could possibly be used to shed light on the nature of consciousness,

Agreed.

shikko wrote:
but that IN NO WAY could they be testaments to the True Nature of Reality, or the Face of God, or whatever.  His argument is that people (as a society) do not suffer for being too reasonable or rational; that personal experience arising from any mystic practice cannot be proof of anything external to our biology.  Now stick the two together and you get his main thesis: spiritual/religious conviction has no authority outside your own skull, and it is inevitably dangerous to assume otherwise.

I disagree.

shikko wrote:
So did you actually read The End of Faith, or were you just quote-mining?

Yes, I have. And this is why I can say that Harris was promoting mysticism (primarily Buddhist mysticism).

Quote:
Harris wishes to recapture spirituality for the domain of human reason. He draws inspiration from the practices of Eastern religion, in particular that of meditation, as described principally by Hindu and Buddhist practitioners. By paying close attention to moment-to-moment conscious experience, Harris suggests, it is possible to make our sense of "self" vanish and thereby uncover a new state of personal well-being. (source: Wikipedia "Sam Harris(author)")

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:On this point,

Paisley wrote:

On this point, I'm somewhat... 

full of bull feces.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
You can't determine the presence of  inner experience (conscious-awareness) from external behavior except by inferring it.

What? How else does one determine the presence of inner experience? What brand new method have you come up with?

Paisley wrote:

Pure exaggeration. Just like global warming is "hotly debated"? Where there are three guys doing a lecture circuit? Dualism is ridiculous.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I would think that the basic presumption of the mind/body problem should be dualism until proven otherwise.

Avoiding the original discussion is cute. I already listed evidence for a physical mind, including brain injuries and psychoactive drugs. If you have evidence for dualism, bring it. Thinking the weaker argument is better by virtue of historical precedent is ridiculous.

I didn't realize that science discovered the chemical composition for conscious-awareness.

It hasn't. The evidence comes from logic applied to the observation of brain injury and psychadelic chemical influence. The logical statement is thus:

a. Consciousness is observed to be affected to the extent that the physical states are interacting - in the case of injury, as long as the injury has an affect on the physical brain the affect to consciousness is observable (eg permanent change in the physical state of the brain correlates directly to observable permanent conscious alteration)

b. sample groups within a range of specific physical manifestations are observably affected within a like range of manifestations of consciousness (eg Observable loss of long term memory consistent with physical affect on a portion of the hippocampal region)

therefore c: The physical state and the mental state are inseparable. (neutral monists can concur to this point).

then d: The physical cause precedes, in biological time, the mental state.

and e: biological time ---- insert your reason ----

therefore f: material monism is correct.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I didn't

Paisley wrote:

I didn't realize you came up with evidence for a non-physical mind thingy. Why would the default presumption be to go with dualism, when dualism presupposes a special extra variable called "mind" seperate from "body"?

Just because you want to have a soul doesn't mean that you have any measurable evidence for one. You can want it as hard as you like, it doesn't make it true. I have some evidence, and you have none.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
I agree. I accept that I am insignificant in the "vast scheme of things".  Even among  my own species, which now number over 6 billion, I am insignificant beyond the  small sphere of my personal influence. Since that is an issue that is beyond my control why should it bother me ?

I accept that I will die and be forgotten.  The same is true of every generation that is born and then passes away into obscurity, never to return.  The process is beyond my control.

The universe is cruel and indifferent....so, what should I do throw a temper tantrum ?  Hire an attorney and file a lawsuit ?

Or better yet, perhaps to elevate my sense of self-worth I will do as so many others have done and simply tap into my imagination and invent a god to jealously fawn over me.

Just curse the nonexistent God and die? Sounds like a good purpose to me.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:However,

zarathustra wrote:
However, if you have hereby unequivocally acknowledged that your belief is not rational ( "It's not a belief arrived at rationally" ), we can safely conclude our exercises, and consider your belief in god "fixed".

I will acknowledge that my basic belief in God is probably "not rationally derived." This is not to say that it is irrational. I distinguish between the terms irrational and nonrational. The nonrational is that which is not derived through rational means. Faith most-likely stems from spiritual intuition, not logical analysis. This view is called "fideism."

Quote:
Fideism is the view that religious belief depends on faith or revelation, rather than reason, intellect or natural theology. The word fideism comes from fides, the Latin word for faith, and literally means faith-ism.[1]

Throughout history, several philosophers and theologians have articulated the idea that faith is more important, or valid, or virtuous, than reason in theology. One can use different criteria for judging statements belonging to the sphere of religion than other areas. As a result, theology may include logical contradictions without apology.(source: Wikipedia "Fideism")

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rationality

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

I will acknowledge that my basic belief in God is probably "not rationally derived." This is not to say that it is irrational. I distinguish between the terms irrational and nonrational. The nonrational is that which is not derived through rational means. Faith most-likely stems from spiritual intuition, not logical analysis. This view is called "fideism."

Quote:
Fideism is the view that religious belief depends on faith or revelation, rather than reason, intellect or natural theology. The word fideism comes from fides, the Latin word for faith, and literally means faith-ism.[1]

Throughout history, several philosophers and theologians have articulated the idea that faith is more important, or valid, or virtuous, than reason in theology. One can use different criteria for judging statements belonging to the sphere of religion than other areas. As a result, theology may include logical contradictions without apology.(source: Wikipedia "Fideism")

I would like you to argue against the poster of post #22:

Quote:

Unless you're capable of making a rational argument, you'll be wasting both of our time.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

tothiel
tothiel's picture
User is offlineOffline
So your putting forth blind

Paisley wrote:

Quote:

So your putting forth blind faith and backing it with invincible ignorance while attempting to peg atheistic materialism as irrational? Boy, if that's not a solid plan I don't know what is......

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ah, but what happened to:

Paisley wrote:

If we agree that everyone desires happiness, then how can anyone say that life doesn't have a purpose?

As I said in the initial reply to that: This is an internal purpose, one that arises from within. And yet you seem to consider it significant enough to establish that 'life has a purpose'... except, apparently, to atheists, despite the fact that atheists here are the ones maintaining that the find purpose in their own lives.

If commonality of one internal purpose is enough for you to say 'how can anyone say that life doesn't have a purpose?', then how is it that you dismiss the general category of internally-arising purpose as a view that life is 'meaningless and absurd'?

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
tothiel wrote:So you're

tothiel wrote:

So you're putting forth blind faith and backing it with invincible ignorance while attempting to peg atheistic materialism as irrational? Boy, if that's not a solid plan I don't know what is......

That's pretty much it. Anyone for seconds?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:Paisley

lifewhispers wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I frame my theological beliefs in basic Christian terms. Also, I do subscribe to a trinitarian theology.

Then, you are neither a pantheist, nor a panentheist.  You are a Christian masquerading as something you're not.  You are attempting to "sneak" your ideas about God past us by disguising them, unconvincingly, as pantheistic - only to then try to coerce us into believing some other faith-based nonsense.

The only result you have achieved is to demonstrate to us all that you are a lousy Christian, and certainly not what you profess to be.

Does it make the Baby Jesus laugh or cry when you lie to others?

I suspect that we have vastly different definitions of pantheism, panentheism, and faith.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:So

So to use a trinitarian theology you must have some valid evidence and proof to do so.

Please state whether you are an atheist, agnostic, or theist.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:To be honest with

EXC wrote:
To be honest with oneself is a purpose. Meaning is whatever I decide based on my own observations. You have a god, so your purpose is his purpose, you meaning is his meaning. My meaning and purpose is my own.

I follow my own rules,  so I judge what is rational. You live under a Theist dictatorship, so follow your imaginary god's rules.

I would argue that determinism is implicit in the worldview of atheistic materialism. Therefore, how is it that you are able to freely create "your own rules" when every thought and belief you have is completely predetermined and could not have been otherwise?

What is imaginary is your belief in self-autonomy. You cannot rationally justify the belief that you create your own rules - not unless you presuppose that you're a "god" exercising libertarian free will. In this case, you're not really an atheist.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subject admits that his belief isn't rational. Fixing complete.

Paisley wrote:

I will acknowledge that my basic belief in God is probably "not rationally derived."

"Probably?"  Are you therefore admitting you're not even certain where your "basic belief" is derived from?

Paisley wrote:

This is not to say that it is irrational. I distinguish between the terms irrational and nonrational. The nonrational is that which is not derived through rational means.

Very well.  What, pray tell, is the irrational then, such that it is distinct from the nonrational?

Paisley wrote:

Faith most-likely stems from spiritual intuition, not logical analysis. This view is called "fideism."

"Most-likely"? 

With all due respect, recall the first time I asked you to:

Quote:
explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief

If anything, on the first occasion of my asking, this would have been the time for you to have said that your belief was in fact nonrational.  Instead, you actually attempted to rationally defend your belief -- albeit with half-hearted and insufficient explanations.  Only after this attempt foundered did you coin this new "nonrational" term.  And even so, you betray a certain level of uncertainty, having to cushion your statements with "probably" and "most likely".

We've quite clearly established you have no sound reasons for your belief, other than your own desire subjective to cling to them. 

Your belief in god has been fixed.  Thank you and come again.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Wow, Paisley for a person who is all about absolute truth your response clearly indicates that you completely failed to grasp the meaning of my post.  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
tothiel wrote:(I.E.

tothiel wrote:
(I.E. Ultimately life is meaningless beyond thought, which isn't something your position escapes. ) 

I agree that life is ultimately meaningless beyond thought. And since there is no mind to value or appreciate your existence eternally, then your life is ultimately meaningless and absurd.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
Watch out for the dogs ..... (dogma)

I like that.

tothiel
tothiel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist and a

Paisley wrote:
I would argue that determinism is implicit in the worldview of atheistic materialism.

I'm an atheist and a 'compatibilist'. As a matter of fact, I would argue that free-will can't function without determinism as it wouldn't be free-will, it would be random.

Quote:
Therefore, how is it that you are able to freely create "your own rules" when every thought and belief you have is completely predetermined and could not have been otherwise?

Easy, see above....

Quote:
What is imaginary is your belief in self-autonomy. You cannot rationally justify the belief that you create your own rules - not unless you presuppose that you're a "god" exercising libertarian free will. In this case, you're not really an atheist.

Naked assertion. That aside.... Instead of trying to force-feed absurd positions down someones throat, why don't you ask them where they stand on a particular subject? As it stands, your not doing yourself any favors by knocking over all those straw-men. I mean, your so busy arguing with your own assertions that you miss any points worth considering, which in turn, has left you failing to produce any worth while points per your own position.

Paisley wrote:
I agree that life is ultimately meaningless beyond thought.

Good... We agree here, but judging from bellow...... It's going to be short lived...

Quote:
And since there is no mind to value or appreciate your existence eternally, then your life is ultimately meaningless and absurd.

Again, it doesn't matter that the universe doesn't care, not even a little. People have placed value on their own lives and as such, anything beyond that is a non-issue. Your desperately trying to attach arbitrary value to the idea that life is somehow more meaningful when that value is eternal rather than adopted and fleeting in nature. The fact is, this is a matter of personal hang up and has nothing to do with a position being absurd.

I.E. You can call life absurd all you want, what this doesn't do however is reflect an absurdity on the behalf of a position that realizes that life, and the value placed on it, only exist finitely.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Hey Paisley , I've

Hey Paisley , I've forgotten where this thread was heading, but think you might also enjoy this current one.

"Proof that god exists" 

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/12675#comment-147397

I gotta run now , But I'll be back , defeating the "god of abe" is important work .....     , go go warrior typers ..... fight for truth !    I Gawed command it. 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Eloise

Paisley wrote:

Eloise wrote:
This isn't an argument for dualism though, the basis of this argument is that the duality of the two systems is a differentiation of properties of a neutral monism.

Agreed. I'm not a dualist. As a pantheist/panentheist I subscribe to some form of monism. However, from the point of view of ego-consciousness, I think our natural tendency is to think in dualistic terms.

Contrast can be seen as a mechanism unto itself.

Whereas - In material monism it might be generally said that duality is seen as a relic of time dependent differentiation, like a box with two (or more) distinct coloured sands shaken up and blended to a random arrangement. This mixed arrangement of the sands on the whole varies the sample in local areas. Clusters of specific arrangements appear starkly different to other clusters in the population, but essentially they are not remarkable, they have merely emerged to their present state through the conglomerate mechanisms of the sifting process. So duality is a resultant property, then, not a fundamental one. - In neutral monism duality is not a relic of a time dependent process, duality is the process and differentiation is the relic, the cat paradox suggests just this quality to be true, moreover, note that the consistent method for handling this particular quality does away with time dependency as a rule.

So I would say I agree, it is within us to naturally think in dualistic terms because we are in need of the emergent property of a dualistic process (differentiation) in order to exist in the way which we do. For the main example, why we have a cat paradox is by the discovery that underlying reality doesn't differentiate between *is and is not* this is no paradox at all if we understand that this duality of existence is a process by which differentiation of states is possible. Thus existence, in our capacity, requires the duality, while reality confirms to us at it's most basic level that it doesn't.

Paisley wrote:

If I understand you correctly, do you perceive neutral monism as being compatible with RQM?

Well, to begin, Einstein's relativity was heavily informed by the work of Ernst Mach, a neutral monist (that all neutral monists would do well to get acquainted with), who once said: "Physics is experience, arranged in economical order."

RQM is essentially an extension of the same schema coming from Mach and Einstein (and Liebniz incidentally - the three have more in common than having famously taken a bite out of Newton) over the Quantum theory. To a significant extent neutral monist philosophy is the birthplace of relational physics, I'd say they are very compatible.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:There are

nigelTheBold wrote:
There are actually two parts. First is rationality, which is distinct from, and orthogonal to, purpose. I believe that postivism is the only logical metaphysics, and the scientific method is the only known logical epistemology. I say this because, so far, science is the only epistemology to give us concrete, coherent, consistent results. (The alliteration is accidental.) Also, it is based upon constant checking and re-checking of our assumptions against the only source of data we have: objective, observable reality.

Two points:

1) Belief in God does not preclude one from doing science. 

2) All metaphysical positions entail belief(s).

nigelTheBold wrote:
Now, I view life as "ultimately" meaningless (not really absurd) as, in the end, our sun will expand, swallowing the earth, and all life on earth will be dead. If by some happy circumstances we've moved out into space, then we will certianly die with the heat death of the universe, as there will be no energy gradient to sustain us. That is why life is "ultimately" meaningless.

If life is ultimately meaningless, then it is ultimately absurd.

Quote:
aburd 1: ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous <an absurd argument>2: having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence>3: dealing with the absurd or with aburdism <absurd theater> (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

absurd : the state or condition in which human beings exist in an irrational and meaningless universe and in which human life has no ultimate meaning —usually used with the (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

nigelTheBold wrote:
Do you enjoy your life? I do.
 No, not always. 
nigelTheBold wrote:
Do you ike others to enjoy their lives with you? I do. So, my purpose is to enjoy life, and to help those around me enjoy their lives. Further, I would like as many people to enjoy their lives as possible, so I do what little I can to help those with potentially less-enjoyable lives to enjoy theirs. This includes giving to charity, and working to help a specific asian country with communications infrastructure. This gives me pleasure, and a feeling that, when I die, my life will have contributed more to the world than I took.
 This is good. However, what you just said presupposes hope. 
nigelTheBold wrote:
As far as ultimate purpose goes, I have only one: to see that we move out into space. I would like to live to see the first permanent settlement on Mars, for instance. (I doubt I will, but it's an attainable goal.) I can't do this on my own. And since my work is towards immediate return, it's not even my life work. But I do what I can, here and there.
 Again, what you just said presupposes hope. 
nigelTheBold wrote:
Like communicate in forums like this. As I said, I believe positivism is the only rational way of looking at the world. Otherwise, if we're trying to find truths in things for which we have no evidence, we're just making shit up. That's going to interfere with our going to the stars.

nigelTheBold wrote:
My life isn't meaningless because I'm enjoying it now, and I'm helping others enjoy their lives. That's why my life is not meaningless. I extract joy from most moments I'm alive. And if that isn't worthwhile, I don't know what is.

I not saying that your personal life is meaningless per se. (I believe everyone's life has ultimate meaning and value.) But I do believe that atheism presents a worldview that, when logically analyzed, portrays life as ultimately meaningless and absurd. Nothing said here in this thread or elsewhere leads me to believe otherwise.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Quote:
Furthermore, why is it irrational for an individual to live by faith -trusting that all things are ultimately working out for a greater good?

The irrationality comes from the "making shit up." It's not like you are just creating a story. I realize that. But, if you look inside yourself and find one Truth, and another looks inside themselves and finds another Truth, then you haven't stumbled on a method of learning actual, real, concrete Truths. You've merely figured out a way to ask yourself questions. This is the problem with the early experiments in introspection. The results weren't just inconclusive. They were completely contradictory. This invalidates the procedure as a method for learning anything real about objective reality.

I'm talking about contemplative practice or meditation, not necessarily introspection. But now I digress. The question was concerning faith and rationality.

nigelTheBold wrote:
And further, if you simply trust that things will work out for the greater good, you are working blindly. That's like asking a carpenter to build a house blindfolded, with no tools, and no blueprints. If you truly wish for things to work out for the greater good, you're going to have to work for it. You're going to have to evaluate what you consider to be the greater good, and work for it.

To "truly wish" entails hope. In order to work for the greater good, I must have "hope" that it is achievable. If I did not, then it would be an exercise in futility.

nigelTheBold wrote:
It's not going to be easy, because there's nobody to give you a goal. There's nobody to trust that it will work out. It might not work out at all. And you'll have to understand that you may never see results, even if you manage to make a positive contribution.

In other words, it will take faith, hope, and vision. Right? 

Faith is in one sense blind (it doesn't know all things)....but in another sense it is vision itself.

nigelTheBold wrote:
As I said before, atheists have to cowboy up. We have to look reality right in the eye, squint like John Wayne, and say, "Mister, you got a problem with me?" And then reality draws its gun, and we draw ours, and BAM! we're dead, because reality always fucking wins.

I call this the law of cause and effect (a.k.a. karma). Faith does not prevent me from understanding this.

nigelTheBold wrote:
But before we die, each and every one of us, we can do our best to leave the world a little better than we found it. And in that way, things will work out. Or, we'll all die in a nuclear holocaust, or by synthesized super-plague, or by triffids, or any number of other things. But I can promise you this: just trusting it'll work out is the worst possible way to make it work out.

I feel like senator Obama here. But this isn't hope.

nigelTheBold wrote:
I'll be honest: everyone figuring out the greater good is just like your introspection. We'll all come to our own conclusions, and there will not be a cohesive whole. That's just life. That's because each of us is different, each of us believes different things (which we can do even if we all think perfectly rationally), thinks different ways.

But, if we all base our goals on what we rationally know to be true, rather than what we think or hope or feel might be true, we'll get to a better place faster.

Belief and reason, rationality and intuition...mutually entail each other.

Quote:
Whatever its stigma, "intuition" is a term that we simply cannot do without, because it denotes the most basic constituent of our faculty of understanding. While this is true in matters of ethics, it is no less true in science. When we can break our knowledge of a thing down no further, the irreducible leap that remains is intuitively taken. Thus, the traditional opposition between reason and intuition is a false one: reason is itself intuitive to the core, as any judgment that a proposition is "reasonable" or "logical" relies on intuition to find its feet. (sourc: pg. 183 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris)

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

So to use a trinitarian theology you must have some valid evidence and proof to do so.

Please state whether you are an atheist, agnostic, or theist.

I am an atheist and ex-believer in Christianity that had years of training and indoctrination in parochial schools and home.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I not saying

Paisley wrote:
I not saying that your personal life is meaningless per se. (I believe everyone's life has ultimate meaning and value.) But I do believe that atheism presents a worldview that, when logically analyzed, portrays life as ultimately meaningless and absurd. Nothing said here in this thread or elsewhere leads me to believe otherwise.

I believe you mean that when YOU logically analyze the atheistic worldview, you see something that is ultimately meaningless and absurd. That last part is your jugement, and it's based on nothing but your own imagination. Even those people here who have told you that life has meaning for them - even those who have told you that life has meaning ultimately for them - you ignore. So for you, the fearsome position of godlessness presents meaningless because you yourself would lack meaning without a god. That's not the case for everyone.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:1) Belief in

Paisley wrote:
1) Belief in God does not preclude one from doing science.

Of course not. Experimental method is designed to protect itself from belief.

Paisley wrote:
2) All metaphysical positions entail belief(s).

Metaphysics really isn't all that impressive, though, is it?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:It hasn't. The

Eloise wrote:
It hasn't. The evidence comes from logic applied to the observation of brain injury and psychadelic chemical influence. The logical statement is thus:

a. Consciousness is observed to be affected to the extent that the physical states are interacting - in the case of injury, as long as the injury has an affect on the physical brain the affect to consciousness is observable (eg permanent change in the physical state of the brain correlates directly to observable permanent conscious alteration)

b. sample groups within a range of specific physical manifestations are observably affected within a like range of manifestations of consciousness (eg Observable loss of long term memory consistent with physical affect on a portion of the hippocampal region)

therefore c: The physical state and the mental state are inseparable. (neutral monists can concur to this point).

then d: The physical cause precedes, in biological time, the mental state.

and e: biological time ---- insert your reason ----

therefore f: material monism is correct.

This is not exactly clear to me. For materialism to be true, each mental event must correspond to a physical event. For example, if the cause of pain is the firing of c-fibres, then the firing of c-fibres (physical event) must be identical to pain (mental event). If there were any time delay between the firing and the pain, then this theory would be invalidated.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
magilum wrote:
Appeal to authority.
Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective. You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

Every human endeavor has been based on the assumption that there's at least a functional difference between views established by systematic analysis of some form or another; whether there's an attainable fundamental reality is another matter that doesn't detract from this difference. If an established scientific principle, that's used practically, and for all intents and purposes appears to describe reality in a predictable way, is somehow usurped by an even more fundamental understanding of reality, it remains that the principle was both practical and plausible. The Greeks, for instance, had a model for a geocentric universe which they found mathematically plausible. It was shown false, but it did have a justification in the absence of further evidence. Your argument seems to be that there's no such thing as a valid argument; because your arguments are themselves invalid. The worst thing that could happen to your argument is that you're right about that; in which case you'd be committing a stolen concept fallacy for arguing in the first place.

What's at issue here is not whether the working assumption of materialism is practical, but whether it is ultimately true.

You're assuming an ultimate is actual, an ultimate is available, and an ultimate is relevant. (And this is all regarding an incoherent idea.) There's the possibility all these notions are false. Even then, none of it necessitates even the most watered down conception of a god -- whatever that would even be, since the whole game is just a crude, irrational anthropomorphism.

You either missing that point in your reply, or deliberately evading it.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Which still leaves you conclusion an argument from ignorance.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Indeed magilum ,

Indeed  magilum ,  ignorance is all "godly", now what ?  , dogma to fill in gaps ?      

sheezzzz ..... what a scary joke religious people are , so godless they are .....     WTF = GOD .....     

Okay I argee, god is WOW ! Then came religion dogma , and atheist Jesus said fuck that .....  so that jesus philosophy and message of "ONE" was promtly killled.  That message would crush the church/gov masters .....

"Why" is the "Answer" .......  so Why Ask ?   

umm , I will have to re-write this , ME GOD, as you .....