I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AtheistAviB wrote:I'm sorry,

AtheistAviB wrote:
I'm sorry, maybe I missed something.

I assume you're Pantheism involved a conscious world, steadily heading towards some progressive end. Do you have any justification for such an assertion? And if, assumably, you can prove the world if progressing (as opposed to merely changing), I would LOVE to see you defend the notion that it is somehow "consciously" doing so.

Generally speaking, pantheism (classical) is the view that ultimate reality is consciousness itself while the phenomenal world is in a constant state of flux and hence, in some sense, illusory. 

AtheistAviB wrote:
Finally, if you cannot prove the consciousness, then I deem you no different than Atheists. You merely need the term "god". So, you call god what we call existence. Semantics may be the only difference here.

Proving it simply consists of spiritual awakening. I wasn't aware that atheists seek spiritual enlightenment. 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:AtheistAviB

Paisley wrote:

AtheistAviB wrote:
I'm sorry, maybe I missed something.

I assume you're Pantheism involved a conscious world, steadily heading towards some progressive end. Do you have any justification for such an assertion? And if, assumably, you can prove the world if progressing (as opposed to merely changing), I would LOVE to see you defend the notion that it is somehow "consciously" doing so.

Generally speaking, pantheism (classical) is the view that ultimate reality is consciousness itself while the phenomenal world is in a constant state of flux and hence, in some sense, illusory. 

AtheistAviB wrote:
Finally, if you cannot prove the consciousness, then I deem you no different than Atheists. You merely need the term "god". So, you call god what we call existence. Semantics may be the only difference here.

Proving it simply consists of spiritual awakening. I wasn't aware that atheists seek spiritual enlightenment. 

And, like I said.

If you are to assume that consciousness is some sort of "above and beyond" formulation of reality, you'll need ample evidence to do so. 

Keep in mind that all the evidence available is COMPLETELY CONTRARY to the point you are trying to make.

All aspects of consciousness are completely reliant upon this supposed "illusion" you call the physical reality. If you are going to adhere to physical reality, it necessarily connotes that consciousness is a piece of it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Either you

magilum wrote:
Either you understand neuroscience better than anyone so far, or your whole argument comes down to a naked assertion.

You can't determine the presence of  inner experience (conscious-awareness) from external behavior except by inferring it.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Either you understand neuroscience better than anyone so far, or your whole argument comes down to a naked assertion.

You can't determine the presence of  inner experience (conscious-awareness) from external behavior except by inferring it.

Ah. Not just a naked assertion, but a vague, poorly-defined tautology disguised as a naked assertion.

Now, how is this supposed to make atheism irrational, again?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread is like reading

This thread is like reading an obscurantist's wet-dream.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
It took a little bit of

It took a little bit of detective work but I found Paisley's photo on the web:

What a coincidence !

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
More than a dozen posts have

More than a dozen posts have gone by, and I must give voice to the sorrow fermenting in my spleen that I have still not received a sufficient answer to my simple and direct question.  I must now ask a fourth (4th) time:

Quote:
Please explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
More than a hundred posts

More than a hundred posts have gone by since I asked him "Eternal life in what way? How do you demonstrate that as a part of an uncaring Universal Mind? Please bring forth such evidence and place on the lab table." I wouldn't wait up overnight for a reply. He seems to avoid answering questions that put his beliefs in a bad light.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:At the

zarathustra wrote:
At the daunting risk of committing an unspeakably egregious offense, I find myself compelled to ask of you a third (3rd) time this explanation.

You are cordially encouraged to dispense with any lingering inhibitions, and provide us with what should be a most enlightening rational proof of your pantheistic belief, which is surely built on sound premises and proceeds elegantly to its conclusion.

Allow me to express my gratitude in advance.

Rationality and belief mutually entail each other. You can't have one without the other. Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know. It's probably a combination of both. What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:It

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
It took you five pages of posts on this thread to tell us something as absurd as this shit !  Holy crap, this is what causes you to feel so smug ? 

What a fucking joke ! 

I should sue you for wasting my time.

Based upon the atheistic worldview, you're just a cosmic accident living in an absurd world. It's a joke...right? ha ha ha

It is understandable how such an outlook would lead to low self-esteem and depression. But don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. You made the choice; now take responsibility for it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Paisley wrote:    'Only consciousness qualifies as being both "something" and "nothing." '  /////// 

Ummm , Say agian ??????  Geezzz ???  So Now what ? Confused, so worship consciousness ???????

You ain't one of those people that pray are ya ???  So we are AWAKE ? ..... YUP, so amazing it indeed is. 

If you do pray , do you give lessons. It never worked for me?  

Love ya man , consciousness ROCKS ! Okay, let's call it "GOD". Now WHAT ?

Meditation.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: Based upon

Paisley wrote:

Based upon the atheistic worldview, you're just a cosmic accident living in an absurd world. It's a joke...right? ha ha ha

Should I feel crushed or something ?     Reality is what it is..not what we wish it to be. 

At least I can respect myself knowing that I face the good and the bad without resorting to comforting myths as a shield and pacifier.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Well,

greek goddess wrote:
Well, it's only problematic if you truly want to be openminded about your "search for truth" to put it in your terms. I mean, if you're happy with your god belief, then that's awesome for you. But I will say that it's dishonest of you to come here requesting (however sarcastically) to be rid of your "God belief" when you really have no intention of giving up said belief. Why are you wasting our time then?

It wasn't dishonest. It was meant as a challenge.

greek goddess wrote:
INow you like to use the term with reference to a higher power and eternity. We don't use it in that way, because we don't believe in a higher power or an "ultimate purpose." It doesn't give me a fit. It just really has no meaning for me in that context.

It is part and parcel of the life of faith.

greek goddess wrote:
Now I'm getting suspicious. I already was when you said you believe in "God" with a capital G as opposed to just an all-encompassing consciousness or something, when you claimed you will receive eternal life, and when you claimed to hold a pantheist belief that is somehow different from that of most pantheists. Now you are invoking the Holy Spirit. Is this the Christian Holy Spirit? Is this the same as God, or is it a member of a "trinity"? Again, this is looking somewhat dishonest - it would really be helpful to everyone here if you would outline your beliefs, so that we could engage in more fruitful discussion.

I frame my theological beliefs in basic Christian terms. Also, I do subscribe to a trinitarian theology.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

More than a hundred posts have gone by since I asked him "Eternal life in what way? How do you demonstrate that as a part of an uncaring Universal Mind? Please bring forth such evidence and place on the lab table." I wouldn't wait up overnight for a reply. He seems to avoid answering questions that put his beliefs in a bad light.

Apparently obfuscation is the key to enlightenment.  I anticipate many more posts from our mystic friend.  I also anticipate that uncomfortable questions will be ignored and we will be left with nothing but a long, meaningless thread that just keeps going in circles ...forever.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Caution: Fixing in Progress

Paisley wrote:
Rationality and belief mutually entail each other. You can't have one without the other.

Begging your pardon, but this is false.  Beliefs can be rational, or irrational.  So yes, you can have one without the other.

If the preceding statement purported to:

Quote:
...explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief

I'm afraid it does not suffice.

Paisley wrote:
Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know.

Well that is troubling, indeed.  Troubling first that you concede it might be a "basic presupposition", as basic presuppositions are irrational.  Troubling second that you don't know whether your belief was logically deduced, or illogically presupposed.

Paisley wrote:
It's probably a combination of both.

Well that is troubling as well.  For logical conclusions and basic presuppositions do not mutually entail each other.  You cannot have one with the other.

You said in post #50 (we are now at post ~160):

Paisely wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

Whereby you implied that pantheistic worldview is rational.  It was at this point that I entreated you to:

Quote:
explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

At lengthy intervals, you provided two (2) single-sentence responses, apparently intended as responses to my request (whereby you were standing by your assertion that your pantheism is rational), when in fact each response in turn was grossly insufficient. 

Rather than definitively expounding on the rational basis for your belief (and thus satisfying my simple and direct request), you now seem to be revising your original assertion, to allow for (irrational) presupposition.  I must confess to a stirring fear that you have been prevaricating all this while about your belief.  This would certainly scandalize me, as it would be contrast quite discordantly with the impeccable character you have so far demonstrated.  Please advise, lest my conflicting emotions give rise to catastrophe.

Paisley wrote:
What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

This is most intriguing, but you will kindly acknowledge that "feeling a prescence" and subjectively calling it "god" does not serve to:

Quote:

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:

Paisley wrote:
Rationality and belief mutually entail each other. You can't have one without the other.

Begging your pardon, but this is false.  Beliefs can be rational, or irrational.  So yes, you can have one without the other.

If the preceding statement purported to:

Quote:
...explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief

I'm afraid it does not suffice.

Paisley wrote:
Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know.

Well that is troubling, indeed.  Troubling first that you concede it might be a "basic presupposition", as basic presuppositions are irrational.  Troubling second that you don't know whether your belief was logically deduced, or illogically presupposed.

Paisley wrote:
It's probably a combination of both.

Well that is troubling as well.  For logical conclusions and basic presuppositions do not mutually entail each other.  You cannot have one with the other.

You said in post #50 (we are now at post ~160):

Paisely wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

Whereby you implied that pantheistic worldview is rational.  It was at this point that I entreated you to:

Quote:

At lengthy intervals, you provided two (2) single-sentence responses, apparently intended as responses to my request (whereby you were standing by your assertion that your pantheism is rational), when in fact each response in turn was grossly insufficient. 

Rather than definitively expounding on the rational basis for your belief (and thus satisfying my simple and direct request), you now seem to be revising your original assertion, to allow for (irrational) presupposition.  I must confess to a stirring fear that you have been prevaricating all this while about your belief.  This would certainly scandalize me, as it would be contrast quite discordantly with the impeccable character you have so far demonstrated.  Please advise, lest my conflicting emotions give rise to catastrophe.

Paisley wrote:
What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

This is most intriguing, but you will kindly acknowledge that "feeling a prescence" and subjectively calling it "god" does not serve to:

Quote:

Begging zarathustra's pardon but I believe another way to interpret this post is that your audience is growing impatient with your non-answers and your "clever" responses are causing you to lose any ground that you may have gained among us.  Perhaps you should just get to the point  or kindly shove off.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Materialism cannot account for consciousness.

Why not? And, more to the point, so what? Just because something can't be explained yet, doesn't immediately make everything default to "God". This is called the "God of the Gaps" argument. More than that, it's a massive jump into magic land for someone like me who is a materialist.

I would think that the basic presumption of the mind/body problem should be dualism until proven otherwise.  

HisWillness wrote:
By the way, the main problem with "fixing" you of your God belief is emotional, not metaphysical. It's emotionally devastating to go against the psychological mechanism of justification of effort. Not only that, social bonds are often centered around an informal culture that includes religion, so removing yourself from the beliefs that are constantly around you can be very difficult.

I sympathise, but it doesn't change that which is true.

This may be true for others but not for me.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

What type of physical evidence would qualify as evidence for a nonphysical cause?

There is none. You'd need nonphysical evidence, which can't be had. So ... back to metaphysics, where nothing gets solved and everyone goes cross-eyed.

Back to square one, where imaginary things are still imaginary.

But the point is that you have taken a metaphysical position. It's called materialism. And your metaphysical bias will not allow you to interpret evidence honestly.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I would think

Paisley wrote:
I would think that the basic presumption of the mind/body problem should be dualism until proven otherwise.

Avoiding the original discussion is cute. I already listed evidence for a physical mind, including brain injuries and psychoactive drugs. If you have evidence for dualism, bring it. Thinking the weaker argument is better by virtue of historical precedent is ridiculous.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:But the point

Paisley wrote:
But the point is that you have taken a metaphysical position. It's called materialism. And your metaphysical bias will not allow you to interpret evidence honestly.

Oh come on. What a cop-out. You'd present the evidence, only I'm not ready to see it because I'm so biased? AND I'm dishonest? Have I lied? Are there magic fairies from magic fairy land that I know about, and I'm just being stubborn?

If the punchline here is going to be "read the Gospel", you might as well tell me right now.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Really? LOL. When you die you go to another dimension where you're reunited with all your childhood dogs, and your high school crush services you hourly.

Laughing is a coping mechanism to deal with the absurdity of it all. Such is the atheistic worldview of life.

I see you didn't bother defending your position. I wouldn't have bothered either.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: And your

Paisley wrote:

And your metaphysical bias will not allow you to interpret evidence honestly.

How ridiculous.  Your statement implies that as atheists we are incapable of comprehending your thesis ...if you believe that to be true then why would you even make an attempt to explain your theistic views by starting this thread?  

If you maintain that atheists are not able to comprehend your religious gibberish, then by your own admission this entire thread is an utter waste of your time.

I find it quite ludicrous that you presume to lecture this forum about rational thought in light of your completely irrational comments.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:It is

Paisley wrote:

It is understandable how such an outlook would lead to low self-esteem and depression. But don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. You made the choice; now take responsibility for it.

You mean like being born into sin and doomed to eternal hellfire if you don't grovel your whole life?

Yeah. You really got it made, there, Champ.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Appeal to authority.

Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective. You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

Every human endeavor has been based on the assumption that there's at least a functional difference between views established by systematic analysis of some form or another; whether there's an attainable fundamental reality is another matter that doesn't detract from this difference. If an established scientific principle, that's used practically, and for all intents and purposes appears to describe reality in a predictable way, is somehow usurped by an even more fundamental understanding of reality, it remains that the principle was both practical and plausible. The Greeks, for instance, had a model for a geocentric universe which they found mathematically plausible. It was shown false, but it did have a justification in the absence of further evidence. Your argument seems to be that there's no such thing as a valid argument; because your arguments are themselves invalid. The worst thing that could happen to your argument is that you're right about that; in which case you'd be committing a stolen concept fallacy for arguing in the first place.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:

Argument from ignorance. That's all there is to that.

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Loc

Paisley wrote:

Loc wrote:
There is no reason to believe your truth is any more true than thousands of others out there. Perhaps you could explain exactly what it is you believe,if you'll excuse the ignorance.

I believe that absolute truth can be experientially known.

Let's test this belief of yours, shall we?

I like roller coasters.  I find the experience of them to be exhilerating, exciting, and fun.

My partner doesn't like them.  They make him nauseous and uneasy.

So, what is the "absolute truth" of roller coasters that you believe can be experientially known?  That they are fun or that they are upsetting?  If something different, what then of the truth that I know of roller coasters?  What of the truth that my partner knows of roller coasters?  Are those not absolute truths gleaned from riding roller coasters?  Or, can the "absolute truth" be different for each person?   And, if it can be different for each person, how does the label, "absolute truth" apply?  And, if it cannot be different for each person, are our subjective ideas about our experiences somehow false?

Why would you maintain such a belief?  What purpose does it serve you?

And, I am someone who defines God as All that is True in the Universe.  Some have even labeled me as pantheist or panentheist; but, I don't subscribe to the notion that absolute truth can be experientially known - even though, I do believe that truth can be experientially known.

Unless, we're talking past each other.  Just how do you define "absolute truth?"

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:I just

AmericanIdle wrote:
I just know you're not going to be one of those people so consumed by their own ego that they believe everyone should understand or conceptualize "god" exactly as they do.

You want an answer...then define your god !

Paisley wrote:

God = Universal Mind/Spirit

And, your proof of the existence of such a Universal Mind/Spirit would be?

Sorry, for the pedantry; but, I hope you understand.  I have quite purposely avoided defining God as anything that is not self-evident.  The truth always stands on its own; so, to define God as All that is True in the Universe is to define God as something that, by definition, cannot be false - yet, requires no evidence, proof, or even comprehension of what "truth" is.

Now, if you have a self-evident explanation that allows your definition of God to be tenable, I am quite open to hearing it.  So, please, present your evidence of a Universal Mind/Spirit.

AmericanIdle wrote:
Quote:
The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd.

Also, explain that.

Paisley wrote:

Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

You have constructed a straw man of atheism to pummel.  That is logically fallacious.  It is not your place to arbitrarily force your idea of atheistic materialism on all atheists.  You have arbitrarily decided that atheists have no "ultimate purpose" and you have then arbitrarily decided that's absurd, and therefore, irrational - without the first shred of evidence that atheists subscribe to any such notions as you have slapped on them.

An atheist's ultimate purpose need only be to experience all he/she can experience to render your characterization false and unfair.   After all, who are you to declare the "ultimate purpose" for others?

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism?

Self-knowledge, Truth, Peace, Joy, Eternal life.

Do you have something better to offer me?

Eternal life for you?  You believe that you, as a human consciousness, will maintain your individuality indefinitely?  Is that what you believe?  If so, how does that work?

Or, were you making reference to some other context of "eternal life" that you failed to "flesh out" in a meaningful way?

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:zarathustra

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
At the daunting risk of committing an unspeakably egregious offense, I find myself compelled to ask of you a third (3rd) time this explanation.

You are cordially encouraged to dispense with any lingering inhibitions, and provide us with what should be a most enlightening rational proof of your pantheistic belief, which is surely built on sound premises and proceeds elegantly to its conclusion.

Allow me to express my gratitude in advance.

Paisley wrote:

Excuse me?  How does that work?  I can rationalize all manner of things without employing belief.  I rationalize my priorities by way of my preferences, not any beliefs.  Can you give an example that demonstrates the point you're trying to make?

Paisley wrote:

Whether my belief in God was a logical conclusion or a basic presupposition, I don't know. It's probably a combination of both. What I do know is that I feel a presence in my life of a mind greater than my own. This I call God.

Well, if you're going to maintain a construct of God, I would advise that you make it be something a little more tangible, than that.  It's OK that you want to maintain a construct of God; but, just try to maintain one that makes sense and can be explained and demonstrated to others.  There is philosophical value to be had in maintaining a construct of God - but, it can also cause you a lot of problems that will leave you in a logical quandry, if you aren't careful.

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:greek goddess

Paisley wrote:

greek goddess wrote:
Well, it's only problematic if you truly want to be openminded about your "search for truth" to put it in your terms. I mean, if you're happy with your god belief, then that's awesome for you. But I will say that it's dishonest of you to come here requesting (however sarcastically) to be rid of your "God belief" when you really have no intention of giving up said belief. Why are you wasting our time then?

Paisley wrote:

It wasn't dishonest. It was meant as a challenge.

greek goddess wrote:
INow you like to use the term with reference to a higher power and eternity. We don't use it in that way, because we don't believe in a higher power or an "ultimate purpose." It doesn't give me a fit. It just really has no meaning for me in that context.

Paisley wrote:

It is part and parcel of the life of faith.

greek goddess wrote:
Now I'm getting suspicious. I already was when you said you believe in "God" with a capital G as opposed to just an all-encompassing consciousness or something, when you claimed you will receive eternal life, and when you claimed to hold a pantheist belief that is somehow different from that of most pantheists. Now you are invoking the Holy Spirit. Is this the Christian Holy Spirit? Is this the same as God, or is it a member of a "trinity"? Again, this is looking somewhat dishonest - it would really be helpful to everyone here if you would outline your beliefs, so that we could engage in more fruitful discussion.

Paisley wrote:

I frame my theological beliefs in basic Christian terms. Also, I do subscribe to a trinitarian theology.

Then, you are neither a pantheist, nor a panentheist.  You are a Christian masquerading as something you're not.  You are attempting to "sneak" your ideas about God past us by disguising them, unconvincingly, as pantheistic - only to then try to coerce us into believing some other faith-based nonsense.

The only result you have achieved is to demonstrate to us all that you are a lousy Christian, and certainly not what you profess to be.

Does it make the Baby Jesus laugh or cry when you lie to others?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Sure...in the

Paisley wrote:

Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

It just occurred to me that this statement, which I knew was incorrect from fallacious reasoning (but not from fellatio), actually makes no sense as it is internally inconsistent. (Sorry. I kind of glossed over the first time through, as it was patently false.)

The first part of the statement claims that the worldview of atheistic materialism holds no ultimate purpose. Even given the half-defined "ultimate purpose" bit, I guess I'd have to agree. The next statement declares that worldview implies that life is meaningless and absurd. Huh. I look around, and though I don't think my life is meaningless, I guess life itself (in the bigger picture) is meaningless: we're all sure to die before the entropic heat death of the universe. And humanity is definitely absurd. So I agree with the second statement.

1) Atheistic materialism as a worldview has no ultimate purpose

2) Life is ultimately meaningless, and also absurd

3) Conclusion: Atheistic materialism as a worldview is absurd, and so irrational by definition.

It's at step 3) that the logic breaks down. It is life that is absurd, not the worldview. So your syllogism is illogically constructed.

Unfortunately, this type of poor thinking is typical in the few responses in which you attempt to employ logic.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Avoiding the original discussion is cute. I already listed evidence for a physical mind, including brain injuries and psychoactive drugs. If you have evidence for dualism, bring it. Thinking the weaker argument is better by virtue of historical precedent is ridiculous.

I've had a discussion just like this with DG. I've tried to find it but I cannot. In any case the evidence you're asking for builds from the quantum level that the sum of interactions which make up the consciousness and the thing affecting are not bound as they are in the classical realm. So to say that the quanta of the brain has as much freedom to maintain or change the interactions with the quanta of the impeding object. This evolves to a relational interpretation of quantum mechanics in which the sum of interactions between consciousness and an impeding object is as much reliant on the state of the consciousness as it is on the state of the classical force. In short this reduces everything to an equality. The blunt object injures the brain because blunt object in brain = injured brain ; injured brain = blunt object in brain.  Both systems move simultaneously toward the same result or it doesn't happen.

This isn't an argument for dualism though, the basis of this argument is that the duality of the two systems is a differentiation of properties of a neutral monism.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
That's exactly what I mean by external purpose. My purpose is to be happy and satisfied while I exist. When I do not exist, my purpose has no relevance, as it is my purpose. I will die and cease to exist. Everyone I ever loved or knew, everyone I will ever love and know will cease to exist. All my efforts and labors will eventually come to nothingness. These things are meaningless. That I will die is meaningless. That all will eventually come to naught is meaningless. All that has meaning to me are the events of my lifetime.

If we agree that everyone desires happiness, then how can anyone say that life doesn't have a purpose?

Even if we agree that everyone desires happiness, and we haven't established that, only that you desire happiness, and I desire happiness, but even if we were to say that everyone desires happiness, a)you are the one claiming an atheistic life is meaningless and absurd, and b)this is an example of internal purpose: purpose arising from our own impetus, goals, and desires, not some 'ultimate purpose' assigned to our lives by an external agency.

Congratulations, you've just refuted one of your own assertions: That to an atheist worldview, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
It took you five pages of posts on this thread to tell us something as absurd as this shit !  Holy crap, this is what causes you to feel so smug ? 

What a fucking joke ! 

I should sue you for wasting my time.

And yet, atheists tend not to suffer from low self-esteem and depression. On the contrary, it's the theist, with a need to appeal to a higher power, who demonstrates low self esteem, and whose desperate need for 'eternal life' shows negative expectations about their ability to improve their lives.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:In the

Paisley wrote:

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

To be honest with oneself is a purpose. Meaning is whatever I decide based on my own observations. You have a god, so your purpose is his purpose, you meaning is his meaning. My meaning and purpose is my own.

I follow my own rules,  so I judge what is rational. You live under a Theist dictatorship, so follow your imaginary god's rules.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:This isn't an

Eloise wrote:

This isn't an argument for dualism though, the basis of this argument is that the duality of the two systems is a differentiation of properties of a neutral monism.

Yeah. What she said.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I've had a

Eloise wrote:

I've had a discussion just like this with DG. I've tried to find it but I cannot. In any case the evidence you're asking for builds from the quantum level that the sum of interactions which make up the consciousness and the thing affecting are not bound as they are in the classical realm. So to say that the quanta of the brain has as much freedom to maintain or change the interactions with the quanta of the impeding object. This evolves to a relational interpretation of quantum mechanics in which the sum of interactions between consciousness and an impeding object is as much reliant on the state of the consciousness as it is on the state of the classical force. In short this reduces everything to an equality. The blunt object injures the brain because blunt object in brain = injured brain ; injured brain = blunt object in brain.  Both systems move simultaneously toward the same result or it doesn't happen.

Are you suggesting that trauma to the head is ruled by quantum waveforms, and only exists once observed by the consciousness of the brain itself? Or am I completely misreading you here?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:Paisley

lifewhispers wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Then, you are neither a pantheist, nor a panentheist.  You are a Christian masquerading as something you're not.  You are attempting to "sneak" your ideas about God past us by disguising them, unconvincingly, as pantheistic - only to then try to coerce us into believing some other faith-based nonsense.

The only result you have achieved is to demonstrate to us all that you are a lousy Christian, and certainly not what you profess to be.

Does it make the Baby Jesus laugh or cry when you lie to others?

The trinity concept wasn't even discussed until  somewhere around 180 ce as mentioned by Theophilus of Antioch or even incorporated into Christian doctrine until Nicea in 325. The Christian evidence for the concept can't even rely on Jesus and the Gospels and clearly have no basis in Jewish beliefs.

"Judaism is strongly monotheistic with no hint of a trinity. The Hebrew Bible (the Old Testament) is filled with scriptures such as ‘before Me there was no God formed, Neither shall any be after Me’ (#Isa 43:10 qtd. in Isaiah), and ‘there is no other God...I am the Lord and there is none else’ (#Isa 45:14,18 qtd. in Isaiah). A Jewish commentary affirms that ‘[no] other gods exist, for to declare this would be blasphemous...’ (Chumash 458). Even though ‘Word,’ ‘Spirit,’ ‘Presence,’ and ‘Wisdom’ are used as personifications of God, Biblical scholars agree that the Trinity is neither mentioned nor intended by the authors of the Old Testament (Lonergan 130; Fortman xv; Burns 2).

We can conclude without much difficulty that the concept of the Trinity did not come from Judaism. Nor did Jesus speak of a trinity. The message of Jesus was of the coming kingdom; it was a message of love and forgiveness. As for his relationship with the Father, Jesus said, ‘... I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me’,{# Joh 5:30} and in another place ‘my doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me’;{# Joh 7:16} and his words ‘my Father is greater than I’ {#Joh 14:28} leave no doubt as to their relationship."

- from The Origin of the Trinity: From Paganism to Constantine by Cher-El L. Hagensick

So to use a trinitarian theology you must have some valid evidence and proof to do so.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AtheistAviB wrote:Paisley

AtheistAviB wrote:
Paisley wrote:

AtheistAviB wrote:

And, like I said.

If you are to assume that consciousness is some sort of "above and beyond" formulation of reality, you'll need ample evidence to do so. 

Keep in mind that all the evidence available is COMPLETELY CONTRARY to the point you are trying to make.

I distinguish between "phenomena" and "reality." Basically, I designate ultimate reality as that which does not change. The phenomenal world of our senses is constantly changing - hence, illusory. The only "thing" that is not changing is conscious-awareness itself.

I do not believe that the objective world exists without the subjective. This is what separates the worldview of the pantheist from that of the atheist. The atheist believes that an objective world of mindless matter (mass/energy) exists independently of subjective experience.

AtheistAviB wrote:
All aspects of consciousness are completely reliant upon this supposed "illusion" you call the physical reality. If you are going to adhere to physical reality, it necessarily connotes that consciousness is a piece of it.

I disagree. Not all conscious states entail sensory experience. The experience of pure-awareness devoid of content is readily available to the meditator.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:This isn't an

Eloise wrote:

Agreed. I'm not a dualist. As a pantheist/panentheist I subscribe to some form of monism. However, from the point of view of ego-consciousness, I think our natural tendency is to think in dualistic terms.

It's interesting that you bring up the "relational interpretation of quantum mechanics" (RQM). If I understand you correctly, do you perceive neutral monism as being compatible with RQM?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:1)

nigelTheBold wrote:

3) Conclusion: Atheistic materialism as a worldview is absurd, and so irrational by definition.

It's at step 3) that the logic breaks down. It is life that is absurd, not the worldview. So your syllogism is illogically constructed.

Unfortunately, this type of poor thinking is typical in the few responses in which you attempt to employ logic.

I think you're taking my comment out of context. However, for the sake of argument, let's assume you're right.

If you agree that life itself is ultimately meaningless and absurd, then do you view your personal life as being ultimately meaningless and absurd? If not, why not?

Furthermore, why is it irrational for an individual to live by faith -trusting that all things are ultimately working out for a greater good?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:It

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

It took a little bit of detective work but I found Paisley's photo on the web:

Actually, I'm not a big fan of Deepak Chopra.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:More than

zarathustra wrote:
More than a dozen posts have gone by, and I must give voice to the sorrow fermenting in my spleen that I have still not received a sufficient answer to my simple and direct question.  I must now ask a fourth (4th) time:

Quote:
Please explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

I've already explained it.

It seems more reasonable to me to believe that conscious-awareness is more fundamental than dead, lifeless matter.

tothiel
tothiel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I define God

Paisley wrote:
I define God as Universal Mind. Unless you have a rational argument why I shouldn't believe that Universal Mind constitutes ultimate reality, then I guess you're not going to be successful in ridding me of my God-belief.

There is no evidence that says you 'shouldn't', but I think the problem is that there is no evidence that says you should. Which seems to be the running theme in the thread.

Paisley wrote:
n the atheistic worldview, life does not have an ultimate purpose. To argue otherwise is make an argument for some form of theism.

Actually, the view seems to be that the ultimate purpose to life can only be given from our very existence. I.E. The concept of life having a purpose is finite and exist as a thought construct by those who posses it. There is no reason why the ultimate meaning of life needs to be rooted in something beyond ourselves.

Essentially all your saying is that life doesn't mean anything to the universe, which doesn't matter much as it doesn't change the value that we place on it.

Paisley wrote:
If you were intellectually honest, then you would admit that an atheist's life must ultimately be meaningless and absurd.

Only if you think life must have meaning based upon some cosmic principle. In an attempt to objectify life you have managed to ignore that meaning is being given subjectively. I.E... It seems that people have managed to attain meaning in terms of 'what life means to them', so basically, your statement that life is 'ultimately meaningless' is a half truth designed to mislead.

If you were intellectually honest, you would say that 'life doesn't have any meaning beyond that which we give it' instead of ignoring what it means when someone says that: life means something to me.

Unless of course you care to point out the cosmic principle that states 'meaning' and 'value' must exist as an infinite construct rather than a finite human construct for example.

Paisley wrote:
In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

Your response here doesn't seem to address what was actually said. His response addressed what life 'means to him', not what life means as defined by some cosmic consciousness. To be honest, your position doesn't give life any objective meaning beyond a thought form either. Further, I don't understand how you can give more credit to one position over the other since the bottom-line is that both are just made up constructs existing in thought only.  

(I.E. Ultimately life is meaningless beyond thought, which isn't something your position escapes. )

Let me ask you something.... Why do you think it's better for life to be handed down meaning rather than meaning found and given to life by those that experience it?

As through a glass darkly you seek yourself,
But the light grows weak while under Yggdrasil. --clutch

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks tothiel, we need

Thanks tothiel, we need more of you.  

Who are these people that put life down ?  The nerve of them denying that I AM GOD AS YOU ...... ????  Watch out for the dogs ..... (dogma) 

Sound the siren , "The dogs are out" ..... shoot to kill .....    In gods name .....    hey, it really ain't funny  ......      Re load , shoot again ...... 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks from me, too,

Thanks from me, too, tothiel. I'm exhausted with this merry-go-round. You take a turn.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

I think you're taking my comment out of context. However, for the sake of argument, let's assume you're right.

If you agree that life itself is ultimately meaningless and absurd, then do you view your personal life as being ultimately meaningless and absurd? If not, why not?

Thanks for asking!

I didn't really take the quote out of context. At least, near as I can tell. Unless there was some subtext I was just not getting. If so, I apologize.

There are actually two parts. First is rationality, which is distinct from, and orthogonal to, purpose. I believe that postivism is the only logical metaphysics, and the scientific method is the only known logical epistemology. I say this because, so far, science is the only epistemology to give us concrete, coherent, consistent results. (The alliteration is accidental.) Also, it is based upon constant checking and re-checking of our assumptions against the only source of data we have: objective, observable reality.

Now, I view life as "ultimately" meaningless (not really absurd) as, in the end, our sun will expand, swallowing the earth, and all life on earth will be dead. If by some happy circumstances we've moved out into space, then we will certianly die with the heat death of the universe, as there will be no energy gradient to sustain us. That is why life is "ultimately" meaningless.

My own life? Now, that's a completely different thing altogether.

Do you enjoy your life? I do. Do you ike others to enjoy their lives with you? I do. So, my purpose is to enjoy life, and to help those around me enjoy their lives. Further, I would like as many people to enjoy their lives as possible, so I do what little I can to help those with potentially less-enjoyable lives to enjoy theirs. This includes giving to charity, and working to help a specific asian country with communications infrastructure. This gives me pleasure, and a feeling that, when I die, my life will have contributed more to the world than I took.

As far as ultimate purpose goes, I have only one: to see that we move out into space. I would like to live to see the first permanent settlement on Mars, for instance. (I doubt I will, but it's an attainable goal.) I can't do this on my own. And since my work is towards immediate return, it's not even my life work. But I do what I can, here and there.

Like communicate in forums like this. As I said, I believe positivism is the only rational way of looking at the world. Otherwise, if we're trying to find truths in things for which we have no evidence, we're just making shit up. That's going to interfere with our going to the stars.

My life isn't meaningless because I'm enjoying it now, and I'm helping others enjoy their lives. That's why my life is not meaningless. I extract joy from most moments I'm alive. And if that isn't worthwhile, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Furthermore, why is it irrational for an individual to live by faith -trusting that all things are ultimately working out for a greater good?

The irrationality comes from the "making shit up." It's not like you are just creating a story. I realize that. But, if you look inside yourself and find one Truth, and another looks inside themselves and finds another Truth, then you haven't stumbled on a method of learning actual, real, concrete Truths. You've merely figured out a way to ask yourself questions. This is the problem with the early experiments in introspection. The results weren't just inconclusive. They were completely contradictory. This invalidates the procedure as a method for learning anything real about objective reality.

And further, if you simply trust that things will work out for the greater good, you are working blindly. That's like asking a carpenter to build a house blindfolded, with no tools, and no blueprints. If you truly wish for things to work out for the greater good, you're going to have to work for it. You're going to have to evaluate what you consider to be the greater good, and work for it.

It's not going to be easy, because there's nobody to give you a goal. There's nobody to trust that it will work out. It might not work out at all. And you'll have to understand that you may never see results, even if you manage to make a positive contribution. As I said before, atheists have to cowboy up. We have to look reality right in the eye, squint like John Wayne, and say, "Mister, you got a problem with me?" And then reality draws its gun, and we draw ours, and BAM! we're dead, because reality always fucking wins.

But before we die, each and every one of us, we can do our best to leave the world a little better than we found it. And in that way, things will work out. Or, we'll all die in a nuclear holocaust, or by synthesized super-plague, or by triffids, or any number of other things. But I can promise you this: just trusting it'll work out is the worst possible way to make it work out.

I'll be honest: everyone figuring out the greater good is just like your introspection. We'll all come to our own conclusions, and there will not be a cohesive whole. That's just life. That's because each of us is different, each of us believes different things (which we can do even if we all think perfectly rationally), thinks different ways.

But, if we all base our goals on what we rationally know to be true, rather than what we think or hope or feel might be true, we'll get to a better place faster.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:The

nigelTheBold wrote:
The irrationality comes from the "making shit up."

Oh man I laughed at that.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:shikko

Paisley wrote:

shikko wrote:
Antibiotics have their place.  But the traditional approach to treating bacterial infections (illness) is magic.

Does this have a point?

You said:

Paisley wrote:

Mathematics has its place. But the traditional approach to experience ultimate truth (God) is mysticism.

If you agree with your statement, you should agree with mine, since they both put positive emphasis on "traditional" approaches.

Lots of traditional approaches to things have been superseded by things that ACTUALLY WORK. The traditional approach to something is all well and good as long as it actually does what it's supposed to.  You want to feel a connection to the past?  Follow tradition.  You want predictable results?  Use science.

Quote:

shikko wrote:
All the mystic practices I have ever heard of are nothing more than hacking your brain to flip into an unusual state.  A misbehaving brain, being the center of neural processing, can make it seem as if you have felt the Hand of God Opening the Book of Ultimate Truth, but that doesn't mean you AREN'T in your living room tripping balls on shrooms.  So you had a mystic experience that proves that There's Something Out There to you.  Great!  That has no bearing outside your cortex, for obvious reasons.  As someone else here once put it "Congragulations! You just proved you have a brain."

Sam Harris seems to have had a different take on mysticism.

Quote:
There is a form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that transcends the vagaries of experience itself. I will use both "spirituality" and "mysticism" interchangeably here, because there are no alternatives. pg. 205 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

No, he didn't.

His belief was that "traditional" mystic practices in conjunction with "traditional" scientific method could possibly be used to shed light on the nature of consciousness, but that IN NO WAY could they be testaments to the True Nature of Reality, or the Face of God, or whatever.  His argument is that people (as a society) do not suffer for being too reasonable or rational; that personal experience arising from any mystic practice cannot be proof of anything external to our biology.  Now stick the two together and you get his main thesis: spiritual/religious conviction has no authority outside your own skull, and it is inevitably dangerous to assume otherwise.

So did you actually read The End of Faith, or were you just quote-mining?

Paisley wrote:
shikko wrote:
Your feelings about the universe don't matter one whit to physical reality; it's going to go on doing what it's doing billions of years after you're dead just like it did billions of years before you were born.  I'm sorry that thought makes you uncomfortable.

This thought does not make me uncomfortable because I don't share it.

Wait, you don't share the thought that the universe has existed for billions of years? Or that the universe will continue on for billions of years after you die?  Or you actually think the Van Allen Belt, the Crab nebula, etc., wants you to be happy? Or something else?  From the part of my response your quoted, I don't know what thought you "don't share".

Quote:

However, I do understand why an atheist would have such a pessimistic outlook. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in such a cold and loveless world. You have my sympathy.

And you have my awed pity for your seeming need to project your own fears and insecurities so hard that not only do people who do not share belief in your unsubstantiated claims all of a sudden feel what you fear, but that reality itself is altered to conform to your insecurities so that you do not have to feel them.  Accept the fact that you will die and that the sun cannot possibly care.

I pity anyone who looks out at the stars and feels the need to feel special.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Conscious-awareness is eternal (i.e. non-temporal).