I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:AmericanIdle

Paisley wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:
So far the ONLY thing that's meaningless and absurd is the point that you're failing to make.

In the atheistic worldview, life (existence, nature, call it what you will) has no ultimate purpose.

Perhaps, I should quote Richard Dawkins:

"Natural selection, the blind, unconscious, automatic process which Darwin discovered, and which we now know is the explanation for the existence and apparently purposeful form of all life, has no purpose in mind. It has no mind and no mind's eye. It does not plan for the future. It has no vision, no foresight, no sight at all. If it can be said to play the role of watchmaker in nature, it is the blind watchmaker." (source: "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins)

AmericanIdle wrote:
If "Universal Mind" is the only explanation you're going to give in this so far pointless thread, I couldn't care less what you believe, but ridding the world of such vague nonsense has to qualify as a higher purpose doesn't it ?

Unless Universal Mind (God) constitutes ultimate reality, then there is no rational basis to state life has a higher purpose because a higher purpose  requires a higher intelligence.

Of course, I believe my life has a higher purpose. This is why I have a "God-belief."

Oh my fucking non-existent God. I thought you were smarter than this. I guess I was wrong.

Dawkins was talking about life, as in the biosphere, and about evolution. There is no purpose to evolution, as in, it's not directed. Phenotypes don't spring up because they are needed. You are conflating evolutionary "life" with a personal existence.

Here, "higher purpose" is just as vaguely defined as much of the rest of your senseless rhetoric. So I guess "higher purpose" is whatever you claim it is.

Now, you feel you cannot provide a purpose for your own life, so you feel you must believe purpose is externally provided by something which you cannot prove. That's fine.

But your statements about atheism's lack of providing external meaning completely misses the mark. It's a dangerous, cold, uncertain world out there, and sometimes it's scary for little kids to wander out on their own. But that's just what atheists do: we put on our big-girl panties, and we step out into the world unguided. We find our own path, make our own way. So, yes. You are completely right. Atheism doesn't provide external meaning. I don't think anyone claimed it did. Nobody claimed it had to provide external meaning, other than you. So nice that you can topple the strawmen you erect.

Please try to comprehend: we don't need an arbitrary external purpose. There's no reason for it. If you can't do good on your own, without an external being giving you some sort of direction or meaning, then I feel sorry for you. If you can't make the best of the life you have without some external purpose, then you are squandering your life. That's fine with me, too.

You can't prove the existence of God, as there's no evidence. Creating God creates additional complexity in the universe, which is completely unwarranted; but if you like a complex, incoherent universe, that's your choice. Believe away. But your insecurities and inability to find your own meaning hardly constitutes proof.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:This forum

Paisley wrote:

This forum advertises itself as being capable of fixing my God-belief. I am still awaiting for a rational response from the "Rational Reponse Squad" that will make good on this promise.

Doo, doo, doo...huh?  Oh.  Another one of those have come to the forums.  Well I've already mowed the yard so I might as well waste my time on this guy.

Rational Response:

Let's get down into the details, shall we Paisley?

You claim to be a pantheist correct?  Now color me ignorant but I have always thought that a pantheist was pretty much a type of atheist that found the splendor of the universe so profoud that it invoked a feeling of spirituality in them.  That they simply used the word god to mean the universe, nature, etc.  Not that they believed in some actual form of consciousness anywhere.  That's what separates a pantheist from a deist.

So true Pantheists...they don't believe in what most people think of when they say god.  At all.  So there is nothing to debate with them.

Sounds to me like you are a deist.

So I'm going from there.  If you believe in an actual consciousness out there...well what do you base that belief on?  If you have no evidence then we have a phrase for that type of thought.

Wishful thinking.

So just squeeze your eyes shut really tight, click your heels together three times, and hope that your fairytale comes true.  Or you can shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which hand fills up first.

You can't prove a negative.  So give us the evidence for us to examine.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD wrote:I

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
I can, if you approach the subject with an open mind and a committment to making no assertions you cannot prove.

So far, you seem unwilling to do so.

Actually, an atheist has a closed-mind by definition. "He cannot believe in something without evidence." Right?

Anyone else see Toto or the Tin Man come through here?

Atheism is not holding a belief in any god; full stop.  Using any other definition is fallacious at best and maliciously misleading at worst.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Kinda

HisWillness wrote:
Kinda vague, but okay. You have a thingee we'll call God, and it's the universal mind/spirit. Is that like Jung's collective unconscious?

Why is Universal Mind vague? As far as I can see, ultimate reality must either be consciousness itself, mindless matter (mass/energy), or some combination thereof. 

Incidentally, I associate the collective unconscious with the world soul. It's clearly a God-concept.

HisWillness wrote:
Woah there - you just made some frantic leaps there that aren't connected, and are unfounded. In the worldview of atheistic materialism, one is left to find a purpose, whether it is "ulitimate" or not. Life, in that case, is not necessarily meaningless or absurd.

The key word is "ultimate."

HisWillness wrote:
When you say "absurd worldview", do you mean one where mystery is explained every time by a supernatural entity?

absurd : having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence> (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

A worldview that is ultimately without purpose is one that is ultimately meaningless and absurd. This should be self-evident. Certainly, the existentialists (some of whom were atheists) understood this.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:You just

HisWillness wrote:
You just repeated what you said before, apparently without reading what pauljohn had to say. So who's being irrational?

Evidently, you do not understand the meaning of the term "ultimate."

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote:I'll says

qbg wrote:
I'll says non-contradiction unless you can demonstrate that eternal life claim.

I'm not sure what are saying here. But I think it is fair to say that atheism does not offer its adherents eternal life or being.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
Pursuit of knowledge does not require theism, it is as I said in the self-interest of man to do so. It in fact leads to all you say you are seeking, except of course your vague idea that eternal life is a possibility. A claim that I'm not rational because I seek knowledge without theism may be your logical conclusion but it's not mine. Believing that some hidden all encompassing mind spirit directs the universe without basis or proof is not rational from my perspective.

The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism. Without this realization, you have no claim to true knowledge.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not believing in a greater

Not believing in a greater purpose doesn't stop anyone from living their life with A purpose.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Actually, an

Paisley wrote:

Actually, an atheist has a closed-mind by definition. "He cannot believe in something without evidence." Right?

Not at all. Anyone seeking to work with the scientific method must maintain an open mind. Nothing can be absolutely proven, and so we must always remain ready to discard our operational theories when they fail to conform to observations. It's the person who claims no possibility of error who has the closed mind.

Quote:

What false assertions do you believe that I have made?

Among others, claiming that a lack of external purpose renders life meaningless. My life isn't meaningless. I find meaning and purpose in my life by doing and seeking things that give me satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Lack of 'higher purpose' is not lack of purpose.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The

Paisley wrote:

The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism.

...prove it.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Yeah, I like

Paisley wrote:
Yeah, I like the Monkees. Now take the "Last Train to Clarksville" because I still have my God-belief. Hopefully, the "Rational Reponse Squad" can muster better respones than this.

Better responses are generally reserved for non trolls.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Why is

Paisley wrote:
Why is Universal Mind vague? As far as I can see, ultimate reality must either be consciousness itself, mindless matter (mass/energy), or some combination thereof.

Well all we have evidence for is mindless matter. But by "universal mind" you mean some all-encompassing consciousness? Does it intervene? 

Paisley wrote:
Incidentally, I associate the collective unconscious with the world soul. It's clearly a God-concept.

Why, just because you make the association?

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Woah there - you just made some frantic leaps there that aren't connected, and are unfounded. In the worldview of atheistic materialism, one is left to find a purpose, whether it is "ulitimate" or not. Life, in that case, is not necessarily meaningless or absurd.

The key word is "ultimate."

How is that an answer? How would you judge an "ultimate" purpose over any other? Do you mean "final"? Or like in "ulitimate frisbee"?

Paisley wrote:
absurd : having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence> (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

How does the natural universe not have a rational or orderly relationship to human life? There are thousands of pages of math devoted to the orderliness of the universe. It's incredibly consistent.

Paisley wrote:
A worldview that is ultimately without purpose is one that is ultimately meaningless and absurd.

Same question, then: do you mean ultimately as in "in the end"? 

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Your

latincanuck wrote:
Your taking Atheism to it's logical conclusion??? REAAAALLLY.....lets see, I do not believe in any gods, that AUTOMATICALLY makes it materialism? Because it doesn't believe in supernatural beings that self-refute themselves? Hmmm yes because ALL atheists are materialists right?

Lets check some stuff here, your first off you aren't really defining materialism, it's a broad definition to start with, from philosophical idea of ancient greece, india, to religious philosophies of buddhism (speciafically the Jaina sect) and confucion or are you talking about Descartes view of materialism? Now does everyone follow this? Nope not even close. Some atheists take this view? Yes, but not all. Why? Because it is not necessarily true for each person, their logical conclusion doesn't alway lead to materialism.

materialism : a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

To begin with, I would argue that the general public perceives atheism as a materialistic, non-spiritual worldview. I don't think there is any question about this.

Secondly, I think it would be very difficult to argue that atheism can be a spiritual worldview when it denies the existence of Spirit itself!

Thirdly, Buddhism and Hinduism are definitely not materialistic. Quite the contrary. They are pantheistic/polytheistic religions.

Finally, I am certain that there are atheists here on this forum and elsewhere who would take offense to professing atheists who also express a belief in bodhisattvas and avatars.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Evidently, you

Paisley wrote:

Evidently, you do not understand the meaning of the term "ultimate."

Evidently, we're having trouble communicating because of definitions. You don't have to consult a dictionary - I'll accept whatever definition of "ulitimate" you'd like to use.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rocas511 wrote:My but you

Rocas511 wrote:
My but you are a snarky one.  If you want to have a genuine discussion then be a bit more forthcoming.  Otherwise you should find another thread.

This is my thread.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rocas511 wrote:We cannot

Rocas511 wrote:
We cannot offer you eternal life, but then neither can religion, not really.  It can offer you the belief in eternal life but that is hardly the same thing.  Science and reason can offer you knowlege and an honest search for truth, but the joy part is completely up to you.

Science cannot provide an individual with the knowledge of the absolute truth, only with a partial knowledge of relavtive theories and facts. The quest for truth is ultimately a religious or spiritual one. And unless atheistic materialism can offer this, then I will find it severly lacking.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eternal life you claim awaits you

Paisley wrote:

qbg wrote:

I'm not sure what are saying here. But I think it is fair to say that atheism does not offer its adherents eternal life or being.

I asked you way back in post #39 in answer to your claim eternal life awaits you made in post #31 to explain what you mean and to demonstrate or provide proof. I read in another post of yours you believe in a Universe that I see from a later post that

you wrote is as follows: "Why is Universal Mind vague? As far as I can see, ultimate reality must either be consciousness itself, mindless matter (mass/energy), or some combination thereof. "

So I now understand what you believe. The question is still valid, please explain what evidence you have that you will receive eternal life in your Universal Mind scenario.

Paisley wrote:

What false assertions do you believe that I have made?

False.

An atheist has an open mind to study and consider new information without prejudice. An atheist bases his views on the evidence presented and the proof submitted. However, the theist  bases his decision on his unfounded belief. If the information presented to the theist does not fit his belief system he rejects it without consideration. The theist therefore has a closed mind. In your belief as a pantheist you appear to be doing the same .  Accepting a belief system without proof and failing to consider information impartially is the sign of a closed mind. The only proof you have provided so far is the "As far as I can see...." quote above. The statement "As far as I can see" is an assumption on your part, unless you have evidence and proof to make that conclusion. Since that assumption or conclusion of yours is the source of your god-belief, it must be provided in order for an understanding of what proof you used to conclude the Universal Mind is the ultimate reality. If you don't explain what it is you accept and why, how do you expect the RRS to do anything? It's like going to a doctor and saying, I hurt. Where he asks. You say again, I hurt.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:Most of

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Most of us here are weak-atheists and open to the existence of a creator/god whatever you want to call it. However, as far as I can tell, your OP is another rehash trying to disprove the existence of god.

I think you are taking the motto of this site way too literally, but then again I realize that the scarcasm dripping from your post is as pious as most fundy christians.

I guess the motto was sarcastic...huh?

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
I won't speak for everyone here, but I am uninterested in de-converting anyone from their beliefs. Do I believe organized religions are pointless and irrational? Yes I do. What evidence can you provide that bolsters the presence of a deity?

If you're not interested in changing my beliefs, then why are you responding to this thread?

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
I am not an expert in pantheism, but without any evidence of some universal mind it is just another irrational concept. I could almost see some form of conscience existing in the universe controlling the laws of the universe, but without any real evidence to support it I still have to write it off.

What evidence do you have to support that materialism is the correct view?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So, would you

jcgadfly wrote:
So, would you say that a person who thinks he/she creates their own purpose in life is setting themselves up as a god (at least for their life)?

Yes, if life has no ultimate purpose, how is it that an atheist is able to establish an ulitmate purpose?

Also, how can an atheist be a free-thinker if all his thinking is pre-determined and could not have been otherwise?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Paisley wrote:God

KSMB wrote:

Paisley wrote:
God = Universal Mind/Spirit

I'll take this non-answer and call your bluff with: God = jahewriueasghkasriug. Any more meaningless 'definitions' you wish to add?

Did you really think I was going to define God as either the "invisible pink unicorn" or  the "flying spaghetti monster?"

I realize that materialists have a  difficult time grasping that consciousness is nonphysical. I feel your pain.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Any good math

shikko wrote:
Any good math teacher can tell you this.

Here's one for you:

Quote:
Given sets A, B

(A (subset) B) ^ (B (subset) A)  --> A = B.

Universally true, and you just experienced it!

Mathematics has its place. But the traditional approach to experience ultimate truth (God) is mysticism.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The quest

Paisley wrote:

The quest for truth is ultimately a religious or spiritual one.

For the last fucking time....PROVE IT !!!

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Mathematics

Paisley wrote:

Mathematics has its place. But the traditional approach to experience ultimate truth (God) is mysticism.

Antibiotics have their place.  But the traditional approach to treating bacterial infections (illness) is magic.

All the mystic practices I have ever heard of are nothing more than hacking your brain to flip into an unusual state.  A misbehaving brain, being the center of neural processing, can make it seem as if you have felt the Hand of God Opening the Book of Ultimate Truth, but that doesn't mean you AREN'T in your living room tripping balls on shrooms.  So you had a mystic experience that proves that There's Something Out There to you.  Great!  That has no bearing outside your cortex, for obvious reasons.  As someone else here once put it "Congragulations! You just proved you have a brain."

Your feelings about the universe don't matter one whit to physical reality; it's going to go on doing what it's doing billions of years after you're dead just like it did billions of years before you were born.  I'm sorry that thought makes you uncomfortable.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The quest

Paisley wrote:

The quest for truth is ultimately a religious or spiritual one.

That's in your opinion... that's certainly not a fact.

I'll be honest, you've been quite rude since coming here. It's as if you expect us to wave our magic wands and poof away your theism. Well, that's not quite how it works here. For one thing, we don't believe in "magic men" and certainly don't believe ourselves to possess any magic - just logic.

For another thing, as others have been saying, it is up to YOU to open your mind and consider the evidence objectively. For instance, I was indoctrinated into Christianity. My deconversion was my own doing. I asked myself "what's the difference between a religion and a cult? Who's to say that belief that aliens are coming is any less absurd than the belief that Jesus is coming?" etc.. Now, you don't seem to particularly WANT to be rid of your god belief, so that's going to be hard for you. If you are really interested in hearing what we have to say then I suggest you drop the condescending sarcastic attitude, and start asking questions that don't pertain to strawmen.

To address a few issues you've brought up thus far - not all atheists are necessarily materialist. "Atheism" only pertains to lack of a belief in a deity. Although there aren't many here, I've no doubt that there are people out there who don't believe in a god, yet believe in the possibility of UFO's or ghosts. There is no set atheist doctrine that dictates what you can and can't believe - which is why, if you visit other threads, you'll often find atheists disagreeing with other atheists over various matters. Most of us don't mind having our beliefs challenged, and we even don't mind revising our stance on an issue, if we find it appropriate.

Another thing is, you seem to be confused over this whole purpose thing. We don't believe we were "created" so basically we're here by accident, or for no particular reason. That doesn't mean we mope around and wail about how pointless our lives are. Just as currency is assigned value, we assign value to our own lives. We don't need to be told what to do - we just do what we WANT to do. We try to get all that we can out of life, because this is all there is. Everyone on this site has decided on a different purpose for their life based on their own interests, but I can guarantee you that everyone on this site is a fulfilled individual, whether they are passionate about science, philosophy, or beer.

Now, one question for you: If you believe in a non-interventionist god, what makes you so sure that you will be "granted" eternal life by a god who could care less about you?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
So, would you say that a person who thinks he/she creates their own purpose in life is setting themselves up as a god (at least for their life)?

Yes, if life has no ultimate purpose, how is it that an atheist is able to establish an ulitmate purpose?

Also, how can an atheist be a free-thinker if all his thinking is pre-determined and could not have been otherwise?

Why have an "ultimate" purpose at all?

Why can't the reasons people live their lives during their lifetimes suffice?
Not yet sure how to tackle your other question.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The quest

sorry double post - my comp fucked up & it appeared that i hadn't posted the first time

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:latincanuck

Paisley wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
Your taking Atheism to it's logical conclusion??? REAAAALLLY.....lets see, I do not believe in any gods, that AUTOMATICALLY makes it materialism? Because it doesn't believe in supernatural beings that self-refute themselves? Hmmm yes because ALL atheists are materialists right?

Lets check some stuff here, your first off you aren't really defining materialism, it's a broad definition to start with, from philosophical idea of ancient greece, india, to religious philosophies of buddhism (speciafically the Jaina sect) and confucion or are you talking about Descartes view of materialism? Now does everyone follow this? Nope not even close. Some atheists take this view? Yes, but not all. Why? Because it is not necessarily true for each person, their logical conclusion doesn't alway lead to materialism.

materialism : a theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

To begin with, I would argue that the general public perceives atheism as a materialistic, non-spiritual worldview. I don't think there is any question about this.

Secondly, I think it would be very difficult to argue that atheism can be a spiritual worldview when it denies the existence of Spirit itself!

Thirdly, Buddhism and Hinduism are definitely not materialistic. Quite the contrary. They are pantheistic/polytheistic religions.

Finally, I am certain that there are atheists here on this forum and elsewhere who would take offense to professing atheists who also express a belief in bodhisattvas and avatars.

Ok time to show your IGNORANCE again. Buddhist, for the most part, don't actually believe in a deity at all, (most in thailand do but that again is a sect issue) but the conciousness that survives, not a spirit or soul per se, at least not by your definition. As for Hindus well there are so many different sects, that to say that they all believe in deities or pantheistic is as ignorant as calling all christians catholics. Hinduism has a vast array of beliefs and sects, some worship gods, some philosophy, others materialism, for some its a political leaning, others a social definition. But there is no ONE set of beliefs for hindus. Now to buddhism, buddhism atomism don't worship any gods, nor do they have an inherent belief in the soul, but believe that we are all connected via energy and....atoms, they tend to push the analysis of existance down to the atom. Yet again...your ignorance is showing. Jaisism again materialism, yet still has a "spiritual" philosophy, of course the definition of spiritual does actually differ from region to region and the context that people are using it.

Atheists can be atheists and yet still be spiritual, again the issue is the definition, buddhists, hindus and various other non-deity religions can be spiritual without the need for a belief in a soul, spirit or god. The view of spirituality as strictly a religious and requires a belief in the soul or spirit is ridiculously ignorant of you. Spirituality can also be viewing life as being more intergrated in one's world view, more than just being sensual. It can be the practice, or tradition of perceiving and internalizing one's "true" nature and relationship to the rest of existence and of becoming free of the lesser egoic self  in favor of being more fully one's "true"self. But of course I bet, you will come up with your own definition. 

Lastly one can be atheist and follow Buddhist philosophy, again it doesn't require you to believe in a god or in a spirit or soul, it is a philosophy, one can also follow one of MANY Hindu philosophy if they like and still be an atheist....because the definition of an atheist is merely a non believer in god(s)/Deities/supernatural beings, that's it, nothing more nothing less, no where is there a concrete set of beliefs or what a atheists is supposed to follow, it is merely a definition of someone that does not believe in gods.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fixing irrationality, in small steps

Paisley wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

Please explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Well all we have evidence for is mindless matter. But by "universal mind" you mean some all-encompassing consciousness? Does it intervene? 

Is your existence influenced by unconscious action, or your actions informed by unconscious influence?  If yes to either then intervention by consciousness not intrinsic to your ego conscious mind is a given. All one needs to do to refute universal mind is to show how the boundaries of unconsciousness exclude it.  

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I doubt it. There are much stronger basis for collective unconscious = God than mere association. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:sorry

greek goddess wrote:

sorry double post - my comp fucked up & it appeared that i hadn't posted the first time

I think the forum has bugs, its been logging me in and out randomly as I browse pages for the last week or so, and my post has also disappeared from the thread, although when I logged in just now I saw it notified in the forum index.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:qbg wrote:I'll

Paisley wrote:

qbg wrote:

You listed "Truth" along with Eternal Life. As far as I can tell, that is a contradiction--that is unless you can show otherwise.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
- Consciousness is made of

- Consciousness is made of magic

- "God" is made of magic

- Consciousness exists

- There for, "god" exists

Praise Allah.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:In the

Paisley wrote:

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning.

No it's not. We define our own meaning.

Quote:
To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument. 

This is not true either. For example, take the statement "The meaning of life is whatever one makes of life." How is that in any way logically connected with a universal mind?

Quote:
I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

So I'm irrational if I say that I can think of many, many reasons my life is meaningful without referencing a universal mind greater than myself? That's hardly a rational argument.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The

Paisley wrote:

The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism. Without this realization, you have no claim to true knowledge.

This is a rather bald claim, with no supporting evidence, or even a bare logical argument. You have a lot of those. So far you're all sizzle, and no steak. You claim atheists cannot have X, without ever demonstrating that X is ontologically necessary, or that atheists don't actually have X.

You can have your true knowledge. I'll take facts. You can have your ultimate reality. I'll take my observable, fact-based one, which is pretty fucking cool without God here to kick it in the nuts occasionally. You can have your eternal life. I'll take the one life I have, and live it as if it's worthwhile, thanks.

You start claiming that atheism isn't rational, though, and you're just spouting the same old tired, "Atheism is really just a religion!" bullshit. It's provably rational, as it's based on reason and observation. Your panentheistic God that is somehow going to magically make you live forever is not based on observation. It's based on hope, and perhaps fear, but so far, there's no evidence whatsoever to support your God. It's like astrology for the half-educated.

One question: even if there was a panentheistic God, what evidence do you have that says you'll not just die and be wormfood, and this God doesn't simply get his jollies watching you slob his nob, and when you're dead you're no good to him? Why is this God confined to your preconceptions of Him (or It, or whatever pronoun you wish to ascribe)?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I realize that

Paisley wrote:

I realize that materialists have a  difficult time grasping that consciousness is nonphysical. I feel your pain.

Hopefully you aren't positing that it is a fact that consciousness is "non physical".  To make a naked assertion such that the mind is non physical is more absurd than anything you accuse an atheist of. I could make an equally naked assertion that emergentism is the ultimate truth and reduce this to a "neener neener I'm smarterer than you" conversation, but I'll digress.

There is a wealth of information on this site, and every other corner of the web, about the relationship between consciousness and the physical and chemical state of your brain. If you were to alter the physical state of an individuals brain you could, with relative accuracy, predict the effect it would have on a persons "consciousness" (i.e.) if I gave you a frontal lobotomy your consciousness would be basically non existent. This doesn't constitute absolute proof for emergentism, but it certainly lends credibility to the materialistic view of neurology and thusly consciousness. This is not even scratching the surface of the myriad evidences that could be shown to support the more materialistic views of consciousness.

What sort of evidence can you offer for the supernatural consciousness you eschew as fact? A lack of evidence is not evidence for anything except a lack of...well...evidence. It seems that you don't have a good relationship with your day to day reality and you like the safety and comfort lying in gaps affords you.

Thats cute.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
A post should reflect the thread, so here's a vacuous, grating and pointless one. 

This forum advertises itself as being capable of fixing my God-belief. I am still awaiting for a rational response from the "Rational Reponse Squad" that will make good on this promise.

Good to see originality isn't a burden everyone shares.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Oh my

nigelTheBold wrote:
Oh my fucking non-existent God. I thought you were smarter than this. I guess I was wrong.

I presume this was a Freudian slip.

nigelTheBold wrote:
Dawkins was talking about life, as in the biosphere, and about evolution. There is no purpose to evolution, as in, it's not directed. Phenotypes don't spring up because they are needed. You are conflating evolutionary "life" with a personal existence.

Based on the worldview of atheistic materialism, all intentional acts are simply the process of physical causation playing itself out. Therefore, it is wrong to say that intentional acts are guided by purpose or goals because physical causation is not teleological. In other words, if nature is a "blind watchmaker" then human beings are too. And what this means is that if eyeballs weren't created or guided by intelligence then watches weren't either. Either there is no intelligent design in the universe or intelligence is guiding the whole shebang. You can't have it both ways.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  What are you actually

What are you actually suggesting Paisley , you got a saving plan ?  Save me bro !

How shall I pray and worship to this AWE , you call GAWD ?  I want heaven too.

btw, 72 virgins ain't enough .....

I AM all ears ......      <<<< help this guy ......  I love you too, pretty PLEASE       I get it , I think? , say thanks GOD. 

Well I do. Thing is I also I want much MORE. It's in my nature you see ?  I AM designed to evolve, God is this fight, and all the reasons for it. I trust our evolving science offers the best answers to all of what this is. 'Religion' is more a wish, that get's ugly and greedy, and worse ..... 

Why do people fight and kill ?  

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I'm a believer

Paisley wrote:

I'm a believer in God. Can you please help fix it?

Paisley, you opened this thread with a request for help in fixing your belief in God. Based on your responses throughout this post and the other post you opened after this one, your request was a fraud. Your intention in this thread is not what you asked. Your intention seems to be to show your God belief as superior to atheism. Since you made a dishonest request by asking for help when all you intend is a debate to prove your belief is correct no one is obligated to fix your belief in God.

You simply could have been honest and opened a thread to debate why your belief in pantheism is the only rational way to ultimate truth instead of being deceptive. I hope you enjoy yourself. "Peace be unto you", "Be Happy", "Have a Good Day", as I can understand why people believe, but I don't get why they lie when they don't have a reason.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:You claim to

Watcher wrote:
You claim to be a pantheist correct?

pantheist/panentheist.

Watcher wrote:
Now color me ignorant but I have always thought that a pantheist was pretty much a type of atheist that found the splendor of the universe so profoud that it invoked a feeling of spirituality in them.  That they simply used the word god to mean the universe, nature, etc.  Not that they believed in some actual form of consciousness anywhere.  That's what separates a pantheist from a deist.

Yes and no. Apparently there is a movement afoot (the World Pantheist Movement) that is attempting to co-opt the term pantheism in order to peddle atheistic materialism in the guise of pantheism. Pantheism is not compatible with materialism. True pantheism permeates all the contemplative traditions in the world's major religions (Christian mysticism, Jewish Kabbalah, Sufism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, etc.)

Watcher wrote:
So true Pantheists...they don't believe in what most people think of when they say god.  At all.  So there is nothing to debate with them.

True pantheism subscribes to some form of emantionism. The Absolute or God is pure awareness from which all consciousness unfolds into the subjective and the objective.

Watcher wrote:
Sounds to me like you are a deist. So I'm going from there.  If you believe in an actual consciousness out there...well what do you base that belief on?  If you have no evidence then we have a phrase for that type of thought.

Wishful thinking.

Actually, I don't believe so much that the consciousness is "out there" as it is "within me." So, the evidence is my own conscious-awareness. In particular, it is my own experience of pure awareness (samadhi).

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote:Not

stuntgibbon wrote:
Not believing in a greater purpose doesn't stop anyone from living their life with A purpose.

Well, this is in tune your slogan..."teaching people to blindly think for themselves."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:stuntgibbon

Paisley wrote:

stuntgibbon wrote:

Well, this is in tune your slogan..."teaching people to blindly think for themselves."

That sounded forced. This is the point where you realize you're too boring to troll.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  a god definition problem

a god definition problem is obviously going on here.  How 'bout, God = Awe ? Now what? ..... argue about  GAWD AWE ? ...... YES YES INDEED. Our Science told me ! 

Let's get this silly god definition of abe done with ......    

Who and what ain't GOD? .... may I ask ?    Pantheists are mostly a cool evolution of free thought I support.

OLD Religion is so spooky bad , wish it was only fun and good ..... someone was obviously so afraid ...... fear gets ugly ..... fight fight , love love , go evolution ..... 

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Actually, I

Paisley wrote:

Actually, I don't believe so much that the consciousness is "out there" as it is "within me." So, the evidence is my own conscious-awareness. In particular, it is my own experience of pure awareness (samadhi).

Hello Paisley

? do you believe that you are God

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Cali_Athiest2

Paisley wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Most of us here are weak-atheists and open to the existence of a creator/god whatever you want to call it. However, as far as I can tell, your OP is another rehash trying to disprove the existence of god.

I think you are taking the motto of this site way too literally, but then again I realize that the scarcasm dripping from your post is as pious as most fundy christians.

I guess the motto was sarcastic...huh?

just a little bit

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
I won't speak for everyone here, but I am uninterested in de-converting anyone from their beliefs. Do I believe organized religions are pointless and irrational? Yes I do. What evidence can you provide that bolsters the presence of a deity?

If you're not interested in changing my beliefs, then why are you responding to this thread?

Curious to see where you stand I guess, don't know many pantheists. Are you interested in changing mine?

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
I am not an expert in pantheism, but without any evidence of some universal mind it is just another irrational concept. I could almost see some form of conscience existing in the universe controlling the laws of the universe, but without any real evidence to support it I still have to write it off.

What evidence do you have to support that materialism is the correct view?

Materialism is the only concept that mankind can truly be aware of. Besides, I have never said that there is nothing else, just no evidence to suggest there is.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Not at all.

BMcD wrote:
Not at all. Anyone seeking to work with the scientific method must maintain an open mind. Nothing can be absolutely proven, and so we must always remain ready to discard our operational theories when they fail to conform to observations. It's the person who claims no possibility of error who has the closed mind.

I haven't had to discard my God theory yet.

BMcD wrote:
Among others, claiming that a lack of external purpose renders life meaningless.

I said that if life is ultimately without purpose, then it is ultimately meaningless and absurd. To believe otherwise is to exercise faith.

Personally, I don't understand what you mean by "external" purpose. My purpose is to be happy. I trust that yours is the same.

Now, if the thought of eternal extinction brings happiness to your heart, then go for it. As for me, I have chosen a different route. My guess is that peddling the gospel of eternal extinction is not going to sell too well in the marketplace.

BMcD wrote:
My life isn't meaningless. I find meaning and purpose in my life by doing and seeking things that give me satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Lack of 'higher purpose' is not lack of purpose.

You will die and cease to exist. Everyone you ever loved or knew will die and cease to exist. Everything you have ever strived for or worked for will be burnt to ashes. All your suffering will be for nothing. In fact, whether you lived or not is rather moot in the vast scheme of things. I can't think of anything more meaningless or absurd.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism.

...prove it.

How can you know the absolute truth when you only have a finite or limited perspective? 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD wrote:Not

Paisley wrote:

[...]

BMcD wrote:
Among others, claiming that a lack of external purpose renders life meaningless.

I said that if life is ultimately without purpose, then it is ultimately meaningless and absurd. To believe otherwise is to exercise faith.

Personally, I don't understand what you mean by "external" purpose. My purpose is to be happy. I trust that yours is the same.

If you don't know whether life has an "ultimate" purpose, then you can only make an assumption about it. What would "ultimate purpose" mean? Does a cupcake become absurd because in the fulfillment of its purpose it ceases to be a cupcake? Must it remain forever a cupcake, slowly petrifying on the shelf to satisfy you? Is that what you want? Asshole.

Oh, and "personally" isn't necessary in that second sentence.

Paisley wrote:

Now, if the thought of eternal extinction brings happiness to your heart, then go for it. As for me, I have chosen a different route. My guess is that peddling the gospel of eternal extinction is not going to sell too well in the marketplace.

Appeal to consequences.

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
My life isn't meaningless. I find meaning and purpose in my life by doing and seeking things that give me satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Lack of 'higher purpose' is not lack of purpose.

You will die and cease to exist. Everyone you ever loved or knew will die and cease to exist. Everything you have ever strived for or worked for will be burnt to ashes. All your suffering will be for nothing. In fact, whether you lived or not is rather moot in the vast scheme of things. I can't think of anything more meaningless or absurd.

Really? LOL. When you die you go to another dimension where you're reunited with all your childhood dogs, and your high school crush services you hourly.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Looking for god ? ummm

Looking for god ? ummm .....  may I first suggest holding your brians and guts and cells in your hands before looking OUT there ! 

Yeah , great question ..... "do you believe you are god?"

NO ,  I AM GOD ..... no belief or faith I can even fathom otherwise . I AM< GOD , as I AM what I AM ..... Big and Small and all ..... that is me GAWD.  So what are the details ? Too many to keep track of ..... infinity    I know .....    I don't know  ..... <<<<<  

Dad god / Mom goddess told me child god !  But hell I already knew I was god anyway ..... then some religion people tried to tell me I was not GAWED ..... I feel so sorry for them .....  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Well all

HisWillness wrote:

What constitutes evidence is subjective. For example, many physicists (some Nobel laureates) have interpreted quantum mechanics as evidence for an all pervading consciousness. 

God is persuasive, not coercive.

HisWillness wrote:

Are you attempting to argue that a world soul is not some kind of God-concept?

HisWillness wrote:
How is that an answer? How would you judge an "ultimate" purpose over any other? Do you mean "final"? Or like in "ulitimate frisbee"?

As in final causation. The atheistic worldview is not a teleological one.

HisWillness wrote:
How does the natural universe not have a rational or orderly relationship to human life? There are thousands of pages of math devoted to the orderliness of the universe. It's incredibly consistent.

What's the mathematical formula for purpose?