Way of the Master claims of "missing links", IE "Lucy was just an ape"

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Way of the Master claims of "missing links", IE "Lucy was just an ape"

I just finished listening to the Ray Comfort show, Cheese and Rice, that guy is insane. Anyways, their 'Evolution' video on their site, which in several ways mis-defines evolutional processes, claims that there are NO fossil records of any transitional creatures between man and ape. Is this true?

I'm no scientist, but I remember reading about 'Lucy', who they claim was debunked as being just an ape... Can any speak on this, or provided references that this claim is wrong? Are there any fossil records of these transitional homonoids? (if that's the right term)

My assumption would be that there are, I would just like to see some references to them so that when people pull this argument out of their hat, I can refer to something...

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vermilion wrote:I just

Vermilion wrote:
I just finished listening to the Ray Comfort show, Cheese and Rice, that guy is insane. Anyways, their 'Evolution' video on their site, which in several ways mis-defines evolutional processes, claims that there are NO fossil records of any transitional creatures between man and ape. Is this true?

I'd have to watch for myself to get the context, so without the context my answer can only be "it depends".  If they want fossil records showing a transition from apes to man then no.  Both apes and man have a common ancester, but we did not evolve from apes so there is no fossil record showing as much.  However if it is a fossil record showing transitions of us going back up to the ancestor we have in common with apes then there's plenty.  Please forgive the wiki link, it was the quickest and easiest source for a list.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
YES

Lol, Why does everyone have to be so wordy here? I swear, I could say the sky is blue and someone would correct me saying "If you mean it's cerulean then yes, but the sky is obviously not blue.".

Anyways, yes, this is what I'm referring to. Are there fossil records, of one of these transitional ancestors, in the journey from apes to humans? For instance in the lucy case, where the claim is that a skeleton was found from what was not a human, but a more ape-like being such as Australopithicus afarensis, or H. habilis, H. rudolfensis, H. georgicus, etc.?

I don't have time to look at these links right now, but I skimmed one of them and it seems to reference a fossil find, so this IS what I was looking for... any more examples? I need examples to show my mom, as she loves to make this claim...

sandwiches
sandwiches's picture
User is offlineOffline
We're paranoid

I think most of us are kind of verbose in our explanations because we hate to leave any loose ends. Anything that can misinterpreted will be misinterpreted. Saying humans descended from apes is absolutely nowhere near the same as saying that humans and apes share a common ancestor.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
its not paranoia if people

its not paranoia if people ARE actually out to get you >.>

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
A. afarensis(Lucy) is under

A. afarensis(Lucy) is under debate concerning its bipedalism. Creationists mistake this as meaning it must be a full-fledged ape, but it is common knowledge to evolutionists that we evolved FROM non-bipedalism to bipedalism, and the fact that one of the transitionary species is not as bipedal as homo sapiens does not rule it out in the least bit.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vermilion wrote:I just

Vermilion wrote:

I'm no scientist, but I remember reading about 'Lucy', who they claim was debunked as being just an ape... Can any speak on this, or provided references that this claim is wrong? Are there any fossil records of these transitional homonoids? (if that's the right term)

My assumption would be that there are, I would just like to see some references to them so that when people pull this argument out of their hat, I can refer to something...

He's right.  There are no transitional creatures between man and ape.  Why?  Because we ARE apes.  Shit.  Ok, we used to be much more hairy, more arboreal, smaller brained apes.  Transitionary creatures between us and that ancestor?  Hells yes.

Right now the oldest fossil remains that is believed to be our ancestor is Orrorin tugenesis.  It is believed to be the first bipedal human ancestor.  Don't quote me on that because we are always discovering new stuff and reevaluating what we have found.  But this is what National Geographric News reported last month.  But anyway, do we have any transistional creatures between us and O. tugenensis?   Lucy is the most famous.  BTW: I got to see Lucy in real life up close and personal just last month in houston.  Awesome display.

But there are a lot of others.  Homo habilis is a transitional creature between Homo sapiens and O. tugenesis.  Homo erectus is another.  Homo heidelbergensis is another.  Homo ergaster is another.  Homo antecessor is another.  So on and so on.  There are a butt ton of transitionary creatures.  Lets move back in time and go before Homo habilis.  Australopithecus afarensis(Lucy).  Ardopithecus ramidus. 

This is what is so irritating about YEC idiots.  It's like standing in a sauna with them and saying, "Sure is hot in here."  They respond, "No it's not, it's cold."  You point out the temperature on the thermometer, the steam surrounding you, the sweat pouring off your bodies.  They just keep denying it.  They're idiots.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci