Another blow to science, 7 new deadly sins.

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
Another blow to science, 7 new deadly sins.

The Vatican has updated the 7 deadly sins, to include things like genetic engineering, abortion, and pollution.

Also included is human trials...(experimenting on humans.)

These now bring such things as genetic manipulation of food crops, to feed the hungry, as targets for religious persecution!!!

More bullshit from the Catholic (Nazi regime) church.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a cite for that:

Here's a cite for that: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/10/europe/EU-REL-Vatican-Sins.php

Though I'd not call it a "blow to science", as I do not consider Catholicism to be relevant enough to have a significant effect. More of a "danger to free-thinkers if they roll their eyes too hard" kind of threat. =^_^=

Unless there's a Catholic driven run on Toyota Priuses in the next month or so.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
That's a serious blow to

That's a serious blow to Latin America, a region suffering from demographic explosion because of these bastards, and may benefit from genetic engineering.

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the Vatican stopped doing

If the Vatican stopped doing rediculous things, we would forget it was there, and we can't very well let that happen now can we?

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How do they expect any

How do they expect any advances in medicine or psychology without the ability to do human experiments? Note that in both fields the law and ethics prohibit experiments on people against their will.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:How do

MattShizzle wrote:
How do they expect any advances in medicine or psychology without the ability to do human experiments?
This question rather answers itself, doesn't it? =^_^=

The Catholic version of god is a god of the gaps, after all.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Catholic church actually

The Catholic church actually made pollution a deadly sin?

*blinks*

That's the best thing I've heard the church ever do.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Here's a

JillSwift wrote:

Here's a cite for that: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/10/europe/EU-REL-Vatican-Sins.php

Though I'd not call it a "blow to science", as I do not consider Catholicism to be relevant enough to have a significant effect.

Keep in mind, how many countries, including the U.S. who allows churches to have a big hand in government, and law making.

The real danger of this kinda thing, is now that these new sins have been "officially" recognized by the church, is that every politician, all around the world, will jump on the band wagon.

I'm sure that during the Spanish inquisition, many thought the whole thing was a bunch of bull, but many people where still burned at the stake, or tortured...

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jonasnz1 wrote:Keep in mind,

jonasnz1 wrote:
Keep in mind, how many countries, including the U.S. who allows churches to have a big hand in government, and law making.

The real danger of this kinda thing, is now that these new sins have been "officially" recognized by the church, is that every politician, all around the world, will jump on the band wagon. 

I'm sure that during the Spanish inquisition, many thought the whole thing was a bunch of bull, but many people where still burned at the stake, or tortured...

The Inquisition was during a time that the Catholic Church was more than merely influential. Their sway over world politics isn't nearly as great now.

Where I can't deny there will be plenty of politicians who will use these new "sins" in exactly the way you anticipate, I don't think it will have so much impact as to necessitate a greater counter-pressure. Plenty of the "protestant" brands of Christianity already see all those activities as sins. Except pollution... that one's interesting. But It'll be discarded during the cherry picking process, I'll bet. No increase in Prius sales Eye-wink

I would like to see a collective eye-roll or proclamation of the new sins as a sheer reeking pile of bullshit, however. A nice nip at the thought before it gets entrenched any. Just on principle.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Drugs...drugs which "weaken

Drugs...drugs which "weaken the mind and cloud intelligence". LOL like religion.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's actually quite easy to

It's actually quite easy to figure out what's a sin and what isn't. Just ask yourself, what would God do?

Do not have other gods before yahweh: He's basically admitting an inferiority complex and that there are greater gods. Ok, that's a sin.
Do not make false idols: Adam and Eve. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not worship them: Placed Adam and Eve in a perfect little garden, a shrine if you will. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not use god's name in vein: That whole rant about "I am I AM! I am jealous! I am ...". Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Remember the sabath: It's the day priests tell us we should pray, making god work. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Love your parents: As established earlier he's jealous of the higher gods and therefore hates his parents. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not kill: Floods, fires, etc etc. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not fuck other peopels partners: Mary. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not steal: Exodus, jews were stolen from the egyptians. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not lie: Promised Moses would lead the jews to the land of milk and honey. Moses through god lead them to another place that was pretty crap too. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not be jealous of others things: Tower of babel, anyone? Sure seemed jealous of that. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.
Do not be jealous of others relations: Lot's wife. Mary. Ok, God did it. That's a sin.

So ask yourself, what would god do? Would he polute the environment and manipulate genetic material? The floods were akin to polution and he sure liked people burning stuff for sacrifices, so that's a sin. He manipulated genetic material all the time even through jebus as he healed people ... so that's gotta be a sin too.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is ridiculous, the

That is ridiculous, the genetic engineering of food crops has saved millions if not billions of people’s lives. To even suggest that it should not be done is tantamount to having the desire to kill billions of people. So the papacy wants to be responsible for the most atrocious genocidal act ever known to man?

Starving billions to death to suit your delusional is worse than what Hitler did.

Plus what the fuck does the pope eat? Does he eat wild bananas? If the pope has ever eaten a banana or just about any modern fruit he has eaten genetically modified fruit. In the past it took hundreds of years to engineer a fruit, now we just do it a lot faster. This is all too fucking ridiculous, I think they sat around one night say ‘I don’t think Jesus would like that, we will make that a sin’. Fucking deluded, psychopathic, maniacs need to open a non-fiction book and read before making such idiotic assertions. If food had never been genetically engineered most of us would be dead.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
Yes genetic manipulation,

Yes genetic manipulation, holds the key to feeding the growing masses, as well as the cure for things like cancer, and Alzheimer's.

In the near future cloning human organs is even possible, which would allow transplant recipients to live much longer and normal lives.

For the religious fanatics to label the use of such technology a sin, is nothing more than condemning thousands, even billions to death.

The danger is easy to see, look at the political power the christian community holds in America...

Then multiply that by the number of countries that are primarily Catholic.

This is a very real danger, and should be given real attention, by those of the Atheist community.

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Pedophile Church tends

The Pedophile Church tends to oppose everything that makes a person's life better.

When Gaspar Tagliacozzi came out with a way to fix broken noses (he practically created modern plastic surgery), he was  labeled a heretic. He was a monk, so he was never burned at the stake, but they buried him in the back of a monastery, no gravestone or anything, so no one would know he was even there.

The Pedophile Church also despised the idea of using any form of drug, even anesthesia, to calm child-bearing pains.

Those hate-mongers didn't say much when Catholic Hitler was using gas to murder Jews, or when the Croatians were butchering the Orthodox Serbians, or when the Spaniards Conquistadors were enslaving Amerindians.

Forgive me for being so literal, so angry, but I can't stop hating that religion.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The Inquisition was

Quote:
The Inquisition was during a time that the Catholic Church was more than merely influential. Their sway over world politics isn't nearly as great now.

...In a time where the world's largest stockpile of ICBMs packing nuclear warheads is 'one nation under God', I disagree. That the Church suddenly made such a bold move actually chills me to the bone. I see it as Bennedict making it clear to the international community that the Chruch still has the ultimate say in all issues, and reminding everyone of their ability to exert influence.

And that's pretty damn frightening.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...In a

Kevin R Brown wrote:
...In a time where the world's largest stockpile of ICBMs packing nuclear warheads is 'one nation under God', I disagree. That the Church suddenly made such a bold move actually chills me to the bone. I see it as Bennedict making it clear to the international community that the Chruch still has the ultimate say in all issues, and reminding everyone of their ability to exert influence.

And that's pretty damn frightening.

The percentage of Catholics in the US is comparatively small - and I doubt all those protestants care much about what the man in the dress has to say. Hell, a good percentage of those protestants don't even consider Catholics to be Christians.

The populace of the little Vatican City-State still have influence, but no longer so much that they can could start a new inquisition or have the armies of the world march on the "holy land".

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The populace of the

Quote:
The populace of the little Vatican City-State still have influence, but no longer so much that they can could start a new inquisition or have the armies of the world march on the "holy land".

If you doubt the ability of a small organization with so much reach to critically upset international tensions, I suggest researching the causes behind World War I. The pope doesn't need to propose a new Inquisition: he just needs to convince some radical catholic that it's their sworn duty to blow something up at the wrong place and time (much in the same way that Al Queda didn't need to launch a direct offensive against the US to get them to commit to military action; a few willing hijackers were sufficient).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:If you

Kevin R Brown wrote:

If you doubt the ability of a small organization with so much reach to critically upset international tensions, I suggest researching the causes behind World War I. The pope doesn't need to propose a new Inquisition: he just needs to convince some radical catholic that it's their sworn duty to blow something up at the wrong place and time (much in the same way that Al Queda didn't need to launch a direct offensive against the US to get them to commit to military action; a few willing hijackers were sufficient).

I don't doubt that sort of power among any group with any significant access to resources and a willingness to kill for their beliefs.

But I'm talking about making a proclamation and having changes happen on the weight of that proclamation alone. There was a time the Vatican had that kind of power, but not now. Stir up other groups? Yes, but not what I mean.

So, again, I would not consider these new "sins" to be a "blow to science".

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: There was

JillSwift wrote:

There was a time the Vatican had that kind of power, but not now. Stir up other groups? Yes, but not what I mean.

Keep in mind, that the only small groups they need to sway are a countries politicians.

Once more, how many times have you been sickened by a politician giving speeches from a church???

Did you, or did you not see Harvard give special treatment to Muslim females, by giving them their very own exclusive time in the student gym? (what's the percentage of Muslim females at Harvard?)  small group, effects the whole campus.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jonasnz1 wrote:Keep in mind,

jonasnz1 wrote:
Keep in mind, that the only small groups they need to sway are a countries politicians.
I'm not seeing it. Politicos have more on their minds than their religion, and if they were to be doing things as dictated by the Vatican without backing from their constituents, they'd be committing political suicide. There aren't enough Catholics in the big countries for that to work. (Mind this bit is about the US, as above mentioned here.)

jonasnz1 wrote:
Once more, how many times have you been sickened by a politician giving speeches from a church???
The churches I seen them politicking in are rarely Catholic - they need the Protestants of all stripes more than they need the RCs.

jonasnz1 wrote:
Did you, or did you not see Harvard give special treatment to Muslim females, by giving them their very own exclusive time in the student gym? (what's the percentage of Muslim females at Harvard?)  small group, effects the whole campus.
Excessive political correctness isn't the same thing.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The catholic church commands

The catholic church commands the ears of a huge portion of the human population anytime it makes any pronouncement. Catholics are not the only theists, or for that matter, atheists who listen to the Pope of Fascists, at the very least to hear what bullshit they've come up with this time.   That fact alone makes them a threat in many ways.  What we have to hope for is that fundies will brush off these new sins as something non-christian.  However, fundies will usually steal any idea they can if they see a way to make it serve their needs. 

Specifically citing abortion will give much new ammo to the anti-choice breed, and genetic engineering will give any good fundy who believes in the ingnorance of faith a weapon to attack many aspects of science.  Pollution on the other hand, will probably not do anything to excite fundies as they believe in end of days prophesy and probably want global warming to destroy the planet and us so they can get on with the afterlife snuggling with the sky daddy.  As a body the catholic church may not be much of a force.  As a voice their reach is vast and, used irresponsibly, can have a huge impact on the rest of the world.

Don't underestimate either, the tenacity of fundies in coming up with idea after idea (no matter how absurd) on how to use anything that could help their cause.  Theists are all dangerous to one degree or another, mostly without even trying to be so.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
rich getting richer

I like the comment about the rich getting richer.

Just how rich is the catholic church anyway? How many people could be saved if they gave up their wealth?

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51