Could you recommend documentaries / movies on atheism?

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Could you recommend documentaries / movies on atheism?

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED.  PLEASE POST ALL ATHEIST MOVIES IN THIS THREAD FOR THE LONGEST LIST OF ATHEIST MOVIES AND DOCUMENTARIES.

Hello everyone. A friend of mine who is musing with the though of leaving his faith asked me if I could recommend any movies or documentaries on the subject of religion and atheism.

So far I have this list:

-Inherit the wind

-The god who wasn't there

-War on science (BBC horizon)

-Chocolat

-Dogma

-Dirty Pictures

-Videos from youtube and the like regarding atheism and creationism (particularly the series entitled "why do people laugh at creationists"Eye-wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There was "A brief history

There was "A brief history of disbelief" - which was a 3 part BBC series that was on PBS a few months back.

Also Richard Dawkins "The Root of all Evil"

pt 1:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9002284641446868316

pt 2:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7619161192220036050

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't really consider

I wouldn't really consider Dogma to be about atheism.  I have an odd way of interpreting things, though.

Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins did a documentary

Dawkins did a documentary called "The Root of all Evil."  It focuses more on the harm done by religion but it is worth the watch.  Although much of it was filmed in the US it has never been shown here.  It can be purchased on Dawkins' website and the first episode can be viewed on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dawkins+%2B+the+root+of+all+evil&search_type= 

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-

Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also check out "The Enemies

Also check out "The Enemies of Reason."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQ57X3YhH4&feature=related

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Forgot to mention that I already considered adding "Jesus Camp" to the list.

Jmm wrote:
I wouldn't really consider Dogma to be about atheism.  I have an odd way of interpreting things, though.

I added it just to lighten the mood, besides my buddy has a really wicked sense of humor, which is probably why we get along so well

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
No, Dogma isn't about

No, Dogma isn't about atheism...but it is a fun flick that sure pissed off a lot of people.

Kevin Smith comes across as opposed to organized religion, but I am not sure if he's actually atheist or not.  I get the impression he is but I don't have any specific quotes I know of that confirm that.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote:No, Dogma

Mr. Atheist wrote:

No, Dogma isn't about atheism...but it is a fun flick that sure pissed off a lot of people.

Kevin Smith comes across as opposed to organized religion, but I am not sure if he's actually atheist or not.  I get the impression he is but I don't have any specific quotes I know of that confirm that.

I saw a documentary about him back when Dogma first came out, and he said he was a Christian.  The context of the whole thing was that he was looking for a church to attend regularly, but that didn't believe that the Bible was the word of God.  The experience may have actually prompted him to write Dogma, but I can't remember.  I'll never forget him saying, "Jesus Christ!  Is there a fucking church in this country that doesn't believe the bible is the word of God?"

That was several years ago, though.  His views could have very well changed.  I imagine he was the kind of Christian at the time that most educated twentysomethings were and still are - the kind who are trying to justify the modern world in light of an ancient belief. 

MAXPrAsH (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
muvi

Religulous (2008

for details

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

Daisyskow (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
atheist documentaries

Yes, Religulous is a great one/  However, now they also have an atheist mainstream film. The Invention Of Lying is extremely atheist.

ChrisBaloloy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
RELIGOULOUS, George Carlin's

RELIGOULOUS, George Carlin's RELIGION IS BULLSHIT (cab be viewed on youtube), and Zeitgeist

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Do some of these not

Do some of these not verified people not get a view of the dates on threads? This is two years ago so I'm sure his buddy is well made his way to atheism by now.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad these older threads

I'm glad these older threads get bumped (sometimes). It saves one from having to re-invent the wheel.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:Do

rebecca.williamson wrote:
Do some of these not verified people not get a view of the dates on threads? This is two years ago so I'm sure his buddy is well made his way to atheism by now.

Well, I am not sure if it matters all that much that old threads get bumped.  It allows us to link to new material that may not have been around back then.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the "Mr. Deity" show.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This is true. Partly the

This is true. Partly the reason I don't do many threads. I mostly read the new ones and fonzies lol. So I have no idea what's been brought up months ago.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch "The God that Wasn't

Watch "The God that Wasn't There".

It shows once and for all that Jesus was a MYTH that never actually walked on earth!!

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:Do

"not verified" people are users that don't have an account but are still allowed to post in certain areas of the site.  The fact that this thread got bumped shows you the power of our site in google searches.  I did a check and all signs point to this person finding us via a google search.  Rehashing this topic and posting more atheist related movies will only make the thread that much better for relevancy in google and for the person that finds it.  It's a good thing overall!  Smiling

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
well I'll be...

It's been a while since I stop by and check how the site is doing (great I hope ) and what I find that my question is still here.

Oh and regarding my friend... yeah, no dice, he's still a catholic, but more for social reasons than strong beliefs, and regardless we're still good friends.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, and keep em coming.

I've since seen some other atheism-related flicks and other movies that point the more extreme and detrimental aspects of religion:

Agora

Moolaade

The stoning of Soraya M

Creation (that Charles Darwin movie)

8: the Mormon Proposition

A Jihad for Love

For the Bible tells me so

Marjoe

Constantine's Sword

The Sivas Massacre

Generation Jihad

Judgement Day: Intelligent design on trial (Nova documentary)

If you haven't seen them, check them out. Cheers.

Hank Lumberjack
User is offlineOffline
More docus

I would also reccomend:

'Through the wormhole' first episode, 'Is there a God' Other episodes are also very interesting.

'Penn & Teller - Bullshit' S1 E1 - Talking to the dead, S1 E8 - Creationism, S2 E6 - The Bible, S3 E6 - Holier than thou, S3 E12 - Signs from heaven, S5 E5 - Exorcism, S7 E2 - Astrology, S7 E10 - The Vatican.

'Jesus camp'

'Religulous' was very entertaining.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
EVERYONE here MUST see "The

EVERYONE here MUST see "The God That Wasn't There". It's a MUST!! It's required! IT'S MANDATORY!!

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.

Also, I recommend Religilous.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

lala
lala's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the people

I agree with the people saying Jesus Camp and Religulous. I would add Fall from Grace. It is about Fred Phelps and his clan. These three documentaries are not about atheism but they highlight how ridiculous religion is which I find highly entertaining and informative.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can

Hello,

For movies on atheism, you can watch them every night practically. They are on:

ABC

CBS

NBC

PBS

You can also take a class at any University, and 9 times out of ten, it will be for Atheism.

The question is false and weak.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hello,For

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

ABC

CBS

NBC

PBS

You can also take a class at any University, and 9 times out of ten, it will be for Atheism.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

That's  because your insane delusional Christian religion is losing influence all over the western world at an alarming rate!  Why don't you open your eyes and return to sanity and realize the bible is MYTHOLOGY and NOT history!! The bible is simply allegories and metaphors and NOT actual true stories!! You are dealing with Arab mythology and nothing more! 

NONE of your insane supernatural predictions in the bible will come to pass! Just watch and you'll see I'm 100% right you are NOT!!

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

Christianity is not a Buffalo Club like on the Flintstones. Wasn't it the Buffalo Club? I don't remember. Anyway, Christianity is about those who God chooses before the foundation of the world (Eph 1:3-4).

If God wanted the whole planet to be a Christian, he would raise their dead corpse from the grave. God has chosen not to save your dead corpse or many others.

And your dead corpse develops dead thinking.

This has been predicted in Scripture. You're right (to a degree, other then your logical fallacies). And the fact that Atheism brings death to art, beauty, thinking, knowledge, science, biology, astronomy, mathematics, is also indirectly discusses as well.

Would you like to have a Bible study my dead friend?

And I notice that you did not take issue with my comment regarding NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc, etc, etc. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, etc, etc, etc has all historically been taken over by liberal atheism. Yale was one of the first to go with Hoarce Bushnell, and thanks to Charles Hodge, Princeton was the last to go. It stuck in with it's sound thinking (or thinking at all) until 1929.

You atheists are evil hypocrites. But I'd still eat a hamburger with you and maybe even buy you a beer.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
DAMN Chauvin you are so

DAMN Chauvin you are so delusional you are BEYOND help!! It is Christianity that has destroyed  art, beauty, thinking, knowledge, science, biology, astronomy, and mathematics!

You realize how many works of art. buildings, and texts Christians have destroyed just because they're from a different culture and don't agree with your MYTHICAL Jesus?  And of course you know how they fight against science with this bat shit insane creationism which is right out of a comic book!!

daveyflavey
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:And the

Jean Chauvin wrote:

And the fact that Atheism brings death to art, beauty, thinking, knowledge, science, biology, astronomy, mathematics, is also indirectly discusses as well.

Well now, lets talk about this.

Great composers who were also atheists
Hector Berlioz - pioneer of the french romantic opera reform
Edgard Varese - one of the first creators of electroacoustic music
Ludwig van Beethoven - The most influential composer to have ever lived
Bela Bartok - creator of ethnomusicology
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Part of les cinq, a group of Russian Nationalist composers
Dmitri Shostakovich (this one is a bit sketchy since he lived in the USSR who had state enforced atheism, but it's still good to include) - most popular composer of the 20th century
Richard Strauss - creator of the tone poem
Pierre Boulez - pioneers of post WWII serialism

I'll stick to this list since I am a composer and this is what I know. And yes, I am an atheist.

I may as well point out the dark ages since I'm here. 800 years of no advancement whatsoever because of the church.

Ignorance = God

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
   Book of Eli Just

Book of Eli

Just watching that movie would make someone an atheist. That movie was the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Christianity is not a Buffalo Club like on the Flintstones. Wasn't it the Buffalo Club? I don't remember. Anyway, Christianity is about those who God chooses before the foundation of the world (Eph 1:3-4).

If God wanted the whole planet to be a Christian, he would raise their dead corpse from the grave. God has chosen not to save your dead corpse or many others.

And your dead corpse develops dead thinking.

This has been predicted in Scripture. You're right (to a degree, other then your logical fallacies). And the fact that Atheism brings death to art, beauty, thinking, knowledge, science, biology, astronomy, mathematics, is also indirectly discusses as well.

Would you like to have a Bible study my dead friend?

And I notice that you did not take issue with my comment regarding NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc, etc, etc. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, etc, etc, etc has all historically been taken over by liberal atheism. Yale was one of the first to go with Hoarce Bushnell, and thanks to Charles Hodge, Princeton was the last to go. It stuck in with it's sound thinking (or thinking at all) until 1929.

You atheists are evil hypocrites. But I'd still eat a hamburger with you and maybe even buy you a beer.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

BLAH BLAH BLAH, BLAH BLAH BLAH

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

Book of Eli

Just watching that movie would make someone an atheist. That movie was the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen.

Can you please summarize why it would make someone an atheist?

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Book of Eli

Ummm it was kinda meant in a joking manner.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Book of Eli

But the Book of Eli wasn't a documentary though correct?  Were they trying to act out things the way they happened in the bible?? 

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Book of Eli

But the Book of Eli wasn't a documentary though correct?  Were they trying to act out things the way they happened in the bible?? 

No not a documentary. It was the end of the world or something and there was only one copy of the bible left. Of coure the bad guy had it so it was a bunch of fighting and killing in order for him to obtain this book. The reason was to take it to some guy who could rewrite more copies.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Book of Eli

No not a documentary. It was the end of the world or something and there was only one copy of the bible left. Of coure the bad guy had it so it was a bunch of fighting and killing in order for him to obtain this book. The reason was to take it to some guy who could rewrite more copies.

LMAO!! That's the stupidest f*cking premise I ever head of! Didn't the idiot producers of the movie know that there are PLENTY of copies of the bible on disk and other digitial media all over the world??

Even if some wondrous event caused every paper copy of the bible to disappear you could unfortunately just print new ones.

Rebecca, I asked you if it was a documentary because this thread is supposed to be about documentaries.

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hello,For

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

ABC

CBS

NBC

PBS

Yeah, you seem like a Fox News kind of guy. Or maybe you cast away TV altogether and stick to AM radio?

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Since when University classes became movies? Or do you mean they spend their time watching movies? Cuz, y'know, this thread is about atheism-related movies, or is it that you couldn't resist taking a "respectful" jab at those big, elitist, godless libs who, just because they think they're too good to breathe from their mouths they can take over our youngster's edumacashun?

And what question are you referring to? The question if anyone knows about movies or documentaries?

But hell, since you stopped by, let's add more movies to the list, starting with that overdramatized flick you got your display image from: Luther (2003). Feel your heart melt watching the pious, ever merciful Luther caring for a faithful little girl bound to a makeshift crutch, while the movie never mentions his antisemitic ideas, his high regard for reason ("the damned whore" according to him) or his wonderful medical insights ("A large number of deaf, crippled and blind people are afflicted solely through the malice of the demon. And one must in no wise doubt that plagues, fevers and every sort of evil come from him."). At least we get to see some diligent Flagellants hard at what they did best.

Other movies worth a look:

-Amen (2002)

-Priest (1995)

-The Name of the Rose (1986)

-Wise Blood (1979)

-The Most Hated Family in America (2008) [Really hard to sit through]

-The Magdalene Sisters (2002)

-BBC Panorama: British Schools, Islamic Rules

-BBC: Vatican, The hidden world

And I think adding some lectures/debates can't hurt, so here's a few:

-Ken Miller on Intelligent Design

-Sam Harries - Believing the unbelievable

-Any of the Intelligence Squared Debates on the subject

Cheers.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I thought "The invention

I thought "The invention of Lying" staring Ricky Gervavis was a good comedy and highlights the stupidity and gullibility of unquestioning masses. 

It was somewhat funny too... 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

kels (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
what!

I'm an atheist and read the bible from front to back a few times. It's complete nonsense. I've also never met worse hypocrites than religious folk. Such as yourself..are you not supposed to judge as I recall? Hey your imaginary friend's rules, not mine :D 

Peter Hurd (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
(in my vieuw) the best athiest documentary

Hi

Im only responding to the original quetsion

The most informed and enlightening documentary I've seen (and i've seen a lot) is:

"The four horsemen"

Its not so much a documentary as a discussion between the four greatest athiest minds of the moment:

Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennet and Sam Harris

Its not aggressive in its approach of the matter, but all the more devastating for a religious mindset

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: I thought "The

Ktulu wrote:

I thought "The invention of Lying" staring Ricky Gervavis was a good comedy and highlights the stupidity and gullibility of unquestioning masses. 

It was somewhat funny too... 

Both Gervais and Bill Maher have tonnes of comedic religious material. Gervais I find more funny, but Maher hits harder. They're both great.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.