Young Iraqis are losing their faith in religion

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/03/africa/youth.php

By Sabrina Tavernise Published: March 3, 2008

BAGHDAD: After almost five years of war, many young Iraqis, exhausted by constant firsthand exposure to the violence of religious extremism, say they have grown disillusioned with religious leaders and skeptical of the faith that they preach.

In two months of interviews with 40 young people in five Iraqi cities, a pattern of disenchantment emerged, in which young Iraqis, both poor and middle class, blamed clerics for the violence and the restrictions that have narrowed their lives.

"I hate Islam and all the clerics because they limit our freedom every day and their instruction became heavy over us," said Sara Sami, a high school student in Basra. "Most of the girls in my high school hate that Islamic people control the authority because they don't deserve to be rulers."

Atheer, a 19-year-old from a poor, heavily Shiite neighborhood in southern Baghdad, said: "The religion men are liars. Young people don't believe them. Guys my age are not interested in religion anymore."

The shift in Iraq runs counter to trends of rising religiousness among young people across much of the Middle East, where religion has replaced nationalism as a unifying ideology. While religious extremists are admired by a number of young people in other parts of the Arab world, Iraq offers a test case of what could happen when extremist theories are applied.

Fingers caught smoking were broken. Long hair was cut and force-fed to its owner. In that laboratory, disillusionment with Islamic leaders took hold.

It is far from clear whether the shift means a wholesale turn away from religion. A tremendous piety still predominates in the private lives of young Iraqis, and religious leaders, despite the increased skepticism, still wield tremendous power. Measuring religiousness furthermore, is a tricky business in Iraq, where access to cities and towns that are far from Baghdad is limited.

But a shift seems to be registering, at least anecdotally, in the choices some young Iraqis are making. Professors reported difficulty recruiting graduate students for religion classes. Attendance at weekly prayers appears to be down, even in areas where the violence has largely subsided, according to worshipers and imams in Baghdad and Falluja. In two visits to the weekly prayer session in Baghdad of the followers of Moktada al-Sadr last autumn, vastly smaller crowds attended than had in 2004 or 2005.

Such patterns, if lasting, could lead to a weakening of the political power of religious leaders in Iraq. In a nod to those changing tastes, political parties are scrubbing overt references to religion.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope it's all true and

I hope it's all true and it's widespread, but the problematic thing with Islam is that its most dangerous members are typically from privileged backgrounds.  Even if (and this is totally Pollyanna thinking, I know) the current events in Iraq give way to a younger generation that is more skeptical of the benefits of religiosity in public discourse, we'll still have medical doctors and mechanical engineers from Riyadh and Cairo and Amman joining Al Qaeda.  Shit.  Maybe bomb a couple playgrounds on the rich side of town and we can start swinging this thing the right way.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is somewhat good news.

This is somewhat good news. Muslims lose their faith,and religous clerics have less bodies to equip bombs to.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iraq was a secular society

Iraq was a secular society before the war. Do we know how young Iraqis felt before the war? I'm wondering just how new this "news" is.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.