moses was high

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
moses was high

Moses was high on drugs: Israeli researcher

Tue Mar 4, 7:02 AM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080304/od_afp/israelreligionoffbeat;_ylt=AlTD3X7mnuYYeLTAABvfQzQDW7oF

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

SamTanner
Blogger
SamTanner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know what I'm doing for

I know what I'm doing for spring break. Does anyone know a good Brazillian travel agent?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lots about all that religion

Lots about all that religion and drugs on line, here's just a bit , 

The Pharmacratic Inquisition

3.5 hrs broken into 7 segments

http://www.gnosticmedia.com/DL.html --- or full length http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4555365073003895154

here's the 7 min trailer, cool music too ,

http://www.archive.org/details.php?identifier=GnosticMedia_Revolve_trailer

some quick reading, The psychedelic secrets of Santa Claus http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3136.html http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/dec99.html

Drinking Reindeer Piss ......   Wow , hi GOD

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote:   Moses

djneibarger wrote:

Moses was high on drugs: Israeli researcher

Tue Mar 4, 7:02 AM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080304/od_afp/israelreligionoffbeat;_ylt=AlTD3X7mnuYYeLTAABvfQzQDW7oF

This is funny. I was in the Intellectual Heritage lounge at school today, and a professor there asked me if I had seen this article. We had a good laugh over it.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
SamTanner wrote:I know what

SamTanner wrote:

I know what I'm doing for spring break. Does anyone know a good Brazillian travel agent?

You know there's an Amazonian tribe that makes you a living god if you survive a bout with the local Datura...

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

SamTanner
Blogger
SamTanner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like a bout to the death? If

Like a bout to the death? If not I'm down.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

SamTanner wrote:

You know there's an Amazonian tribe that makes you a living god if you survive a bout with the local Datura...

Datura

any of several plants belonging to the genus Datura, of the nightshade family, including some species grown as ornamentals and usually having funnel-shaped flowers and prickly pods: the leaves and seeds are the source of hallucinogenic alkaloids.

Pity... i wanted to fight an animal... not eat a poisonous plant

What Would Kharn Do?

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
Eh, I don't like the way the

Eh, I don't like the way the scientist uncritically accepts Moses' historicity. The ancient Hebrews could have had shaman-like individuals who went on drug trips, described their experiences and provided the language which the Hebrews used to write about their tribal Binker.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well god did give Moses two

Well god did give Moses two tablets.Maybe they were drugs? (ya I'm corny)

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't need drugs to see

I don't need drugs to see music. I'm a synaesthete, I see it anyway.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Heh heh. Heard this on the

Heh heh. Heard this on the radio this morning and laughed.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Heh heh.

MattShizzle wrote:

Heh heh. Heard this on the radio this morning and laughed.

The only inspiration the bible writers had was that they were high,at least that is what i think.

This study doesn't suprise me at all,but i don't think Moses existed. Is there any record of his existence outside the damn bible?

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is just silly.  (1) He

This is just silly.  (1) He assumes that Moses existed (2) that there was some exodus (a subject that has been severely argued against in modern scholarship) (3) he doesn't believe that it was a legend (although archaeological evidence points to just that) but instead will believe an insane idea that Moses was hallucinating when he delivered the ten commandments (sic!).  Really?  How does he even suggest that Moses delivered anything?  This is just annoying...

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Rarus.vir
User is offlineOffline
Moses

I don't know about the drug thing, but if Moses had an Egyptian eduation, it's fairly likely that he spent most of those 40 days carving the ten commandments himself, don't you think? He was likely not high to do such a work, but when he came down and saw everyone having a good time, he threw them down and had to do the same thing all over again. Seems pretty obvious that when he penned the first 5 books of the Old Testament that he could write whatever he wanted to write, after all, who could read it and verify it?

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find the premise of this

WRONG THREAD

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:This is

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

This is just silly.  (1) He assumes that Moses existed (2) that there was some exodus (a subject that has been severely argued against in modern scholarship) (3) he doesn't believe that it was a legend (although archaeological evidence points to just that) but instead will believe an insane idea that Moses was hallucinating when he delivered the ten commandments (sic!).  Really?  How does he even suggest that Moses delivered anything?  This is just annoying...

i'm right with you. i found this article pretty amusing, but in all seriousness i would have to call foul on the notion that Moses was anything more than a fictional character.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rarus.vir wrote:I don't know

Rarus.vir wrote:

I don't know about the drug thing, but if Moses had an Egyptian eduation, it's fairly likely that he spent most of those 40 days carving the ten commandments himself, don't you think? He was likely not high to do such a work, but when he came down and saw everyone having a good time, he threw them down and had to do the same thing all over again. Seems pretty obvious that when he penned the first 5 books of the Old Testament that he could write whatever he wanted to write, after all, who could read it and verify it?

First of all, while I appreciate the thought processes taking place here, the Egyptians were notorious for using papyrus leaves and not tablets.  Papyrus plants are abundant in Egypt, which is why there are so many sites in Egypt with "trash piles" of manuscripts and papyri fragments, such as the site at Oxyrhynchus.  The tablets in the Exodus story reflect cultures more situated in the ancient Near East, specifically the Sumerian and Hittites cultures which utilized tablets (because of an abundance of clay).   This further reflects the fictional aspect of the Exodus story, which was probably composed in the Persian period.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)