Introduction

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Introduction

I would like to say hello, to everyone at the RR Squad. This is my very first post although I've read a few other peoples introductions. I originally heard about this website when a number of representatives went on youtube to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. I must admit that I thought it was very bold and provocative but simultaneously misguided. I grew up going to a Catholic Church and although no religion has me now, I am quite sure that neither the Bible nor the Holy Spirit are what you mean to be condeming. I have studied quite a few Sacred Texts and the Bible is the most truthful of them all. If you are as rational as you all claim or believe, then perhaps you just haven't read it correctly. I don't particularly blame anyone for condeming members of Christian religions as they often haven't been very prudent about the placement of their faith, but the Bible is beyond reasonable doubt as truthful as it gets.  So, that is my introduction message and I hope I can get to understand exactly where you hearts are in relation to the Bible and also Religion and perhaps I'd also like to know whether or not you all believe that Atheism and Rational thinking are synonymous? It seems like they go hand and hand on this website.

Til next post..

1-24

Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
The original poster was

The original poster was saying that you were blaspheming against the holy spirit, and I said it is something very different to do this.  Could you please write more about why I am a troll?  I don't mind being told that my theism is foolishness as long as it is done in a constructive and intelligent way.

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was jumping the gun a

I was jumping the gun a little about the troll tag, and I apologize. On the other hand, your post really does look entirely off topic if you follow the line of the conversation. 

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Hey Religious_Rebel ,

Hey Religious_Rebel , message understood ....

hey Mazid the Raider, easy bro , he's one of us, a good guy, I do think ..... don't be shootin from the hip man .....  

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
So you do not execute the

So you do not execute the heathen non-believers? well you are obviously not a true Christian then.

SamTanner wrote:

"If your brother, thoe son of your father, or your mother, or your son or daughter, or the spouse whom you embrace, or your most intimate friend, tries to secretly seduce you, saying, "Let us go and serve other gods," unknown to you or your ancestors before you, gods of the peoplels surrounding you, whether near you or far away, anywhere throughout the world, you must not consent, you must not listen to him; you must show him no pity, you must not spare him or conceal his guilt. No, you must kill hum, your hand must strike the first blow in putting him to death and the hands of the rest of the people following. You must stone him to death, since he has tried to divert you from Yahweh your God..." -Deuteronomy 13:7-11

Is this the truth?

1-24 wrote:

Thank you for your post. Please read the post I made just before your post. The witness is not the evidence. You will have the evidence in two days. If I say now that this is truth then you will try and bring up some contradiction or tell me that this is not worth believing in. But you will be making conclusions by way of the witness, not by way of the evidence. Wait for the evidence before you ask about truth.

1-24

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just re-reading the OP to

Just re-reading the OP to see what might have triggered Religious_Rebels's comments, and felt I really need to comment specifically on this bit:

1-24 wrote:
I'd also like to know whether or not you all believe that Atheism and Rational thinking are synonymous? It seems like they go hand and hand on this website.

To the first part - Atheism is lack of a particular belief, or to some, the fairly strong judgement that Theism is not a coherent, well thought-out world-view. Rational thinking is a way of gaining understanding of many aspects of life and wider reality, and is normally the sort of thinking which leads people into an Atheist outlook, away from Theism of all kinds, which is why one might think of them going 'hand in hand'. Of course rationality is applied to a far wider range of issues than just religious ones.

One is a stance on a particular issue, the other is a way of trying to make sense of the world and assess claims, so it would be a category error to think of them as 'synonymous', any more than the Bible is synonymous with Religion. Struck me as sloppy phrasing, or else poor grasp of what is meant by 'Atheism'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Stance on Tautology

Someone please help me out regarding BobSpence1's stance on tautology and the tautology of 1+1=2. Perhaps Entomophila will have some insight, as he seems particularly interested. Or maybe Mr. Atheist if he's around. What is the Atheist's stance on this.

BobSpence's Stance...

BobSpence1 wrote:
"1+1=2" logically proves nothing. It is a statement that, follows directly, deductively, logically, according to the definition of the symbols '1', '+', '=', and '2'. It says nothing about truth, it is a tautology.

This statement of 1+1=2 follows directly, deductively, logically, according to the DEFINITION of the symbols '1', '+', '=', and '2'. Can someone please define these for me. I've literally looked up the definition of them.

1 seems to mean a single item

+, I typed in plus, and it seems to mean in addition

so far, this statement of 1+1=2 could easily mean that when a single item is added to a single item, the item is no longer a single item.

=, I typed in equal, and it seems to mean the same as/ or as great as

2 seems to mean a set of this many persons or things

so, then, a single item in addition to a single item is the same as a set of this many single items?

What I really don't understand is how this is supposed to translate in other said tautologies. I don't know if you all believe this or not but some people say A=A is a tautology. But what is it that makes A=A a tautology, and A=B not? Or are they both tautologies?

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Someone please

1-24 wrote:

Someone please help me out regarding BobSpence1's stance on tautology and the tautology of 1+1=2. Perhaps Entomophila will have some insight, as he seems particularly interested. Or maybe Mr. Atheist if he's around. What is the Atheist's stance on this.

I have no interest in this argument but thanks for not responding to any of my comments and then bringing me up here in the thing that I previously passed commenting on.  I haven't read along, nor have interest in reading back.  This is a recycled line of argument that I find pointless.

As for your question: your error is assuming that "atheist" implies a stance.  "Atheist" implies nothing more than a stance on the existence of a deity.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:I am saying that

1-24 wrote:
I am saying that the Bible is not a source of evidence only a witness. [...] What I intend to do is supply the evidence so that you can believe in the merit of the witness. Is this plausible?

Sure. You'd like to show evidence to support your preferred religious text. That's actually interesting - I'd like to see it. Please note that "evidence" does not include hurting people. I only say that because of the slightly scary "some of you are bad weeds" quote, combined with a countdown. It really does sound like a threat, so you might want to state unequivocally that you are not threatening anyone in this forum. Please.

1-24 wrote:
Lastly, the question asked to Bob that you answered. I want to ask you this: if anything, what does logically prove that 1+1=2?

Oh man. I think I see where you're going with this, and ... okay, fine: in the context of what mathematical school, platonists, formalists, or intuitionalists? Ultimately, "1 + 1 = 2" remains a valid statement, but there are differing perspectives as to why. So when you ask "what logically proves ...", then we get into describing the language of mathematics in terms of its necessary origins. I love math, so this can get as heavy as you like.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:This statement of

1-24 wrote:

This statement of 1+1=2 follows directly, deductively, logically, according to the DEFINITION of the symbols '1', '+', '=', and '2'. Can someone please define these for me. I've literally looked up the definition of them.

Bob was saying "it's a tautology" for the same reason I was saying "you're just making a statement." There's nowhere to go here. Your optimism is admirable, but logic will not lead you to any immaterial deity, much less a specific immaterial deity.

1-24 wrote:
1 seems to mean a single item

+, I typed in plus, and it seems to mean in addition [...]

so, then, a single item in addition to a single item is the same as a set of this many single items?

We'll have to get formal if you're going to talk about definitions, otherwise we can't continue and understand each other. When you say "set", are you implying we get into set theory to solve this problem?

1-24 wrote:
What I really don't understand is how this is supposed to translate in other said tautologies. I don't know if you all believe this or not but some people say A=A is a tautology. But what is it that makes A=A a tautology, and A=B not? Or are they both tautologies?

A=A is a tautology in the classical sense, meaning a sort of redundant statement. A=B is a statement that may be true. If it were true, it would be a tautology in the sense that it's just a statement that's true. The word can mean different things in different contexts.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist

Mr. Atheist, Mr. Atheist... how I wish I could respond to everyone's post. But as your post *seems to suggest* that you are in dire need of a response, I will grant that to you.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

1-24 wrote:

I have no interest in this argument but thanks for not responding to any of my comments and then bringing me up here in the thing that I previously passed commenting on.  I haven't read along, nor have interest in reading back.  This is a recycled line of argument that I find pointless.

As for your question: your error is assuming that "atheist" implies a stance.  "Atheist" implies nothing more than a stance on the existence of a deity.

First off, let me say that I sense a bit of obstinacy in your tone. I am going to assume that this is because I haven't met you with the opposition that you feel you deserve. In regards to your rebuttal against the atheist stance. This is precisely why people always think atheists are angry. I can't quite recall who the person with the picture of a cat shooting off some automatic gun is, but s/he posted a thread about the relationship of atheism and anger.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Thank you for Smoking'? Well in the movie, a Lobbyist for cigarettes accuses an activist of wanting people to die of cigarettes because they are the only ones who benefit from the death of a smoker. Well, that's the problem with Atheism. Atheism exists ONLY in contradistinction to Theism. Therefore Atheism is always, and necessarily, in opposition. The only thing atheism stands up for is a fight. As soon as Theism is gone, atheism is also gone. Thus there is no 'win' for an Atheist; there are only wars to be fought- only decadence to take place. Sure, religions are often too quick to posit. But, should the response to this be nihilism. To be an atheist is necessarily to be an instigator. But you know what, I'll allow you to oppose me. Opposition is what makes you exist Mr. Atheist. I'll be happy to afford you an existence.

Now I know what I'm saying right now sounds like your typical theist using propaganda to put down the atheist, but to tell you quite candidly, I feel, Mr. Atheist, that your own comments have provoked this. I didn't feel that, well, any of your claims had too much merit. I will admit, your claims required more subtle refutations as they were well put, but at the same time I don't think you had established any useful point.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

I am going to presume that I’ve been met with such resistance because pro-theists usually join this website to convert you. Your skin is so thick.  If my presumption is accurate, then maybe I am the anomaly.

I think perhaps you are reading too much into this.  It's a forum.  People disagree with your stance so they are going to post about that.  You have come to a forum that is very vocal about it's anti-theistic stance so if you are expecting anything else, then you probably just didn't know.

Mr. Atheist, your opinion is accepted. My stance was barely made known to anyone before I met such resistance. The idea that there was merely a disagreement with my stance did not warrant the type of comments that were made. But this is your opinion and that is fine with me.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

Is that what I was ‘basically’ saying? Yes, sure, you were just generalizing. But trying to make everything as black and white as possible is propaganda. And you are simply fighting the propaganda of theism with propaganda of your own.

Well, you are claiming that the 'magic man' created it.  NickB's method of making that statement you may not agree with, but are you not invoking the "God of the Gaps"? That is essentially what he is accusing you of, and is a fairly accurate thing to suggest with all theists.

As for propaganda, sort of. The difference is the material.  We are presenting the acceptance of ignorance and the promotion of obtaining knowledge where as the other is promoting the masking of ignorance through made-up answers.  I also don't think that the truth is being manipulated by this side of the fence though there is no doubt that there are similarities to propaganda in the sense that we are activly attempting to change future perceptions and behaviors regarding dogma and theistic beliefs.

Mr. Atheist: 'Well, you are claiming that the 'magic man' created it'. This assertion is unwarranted.  It relies on a conception of God that you use, not me. To assert that  I am claiming the 'God of the Gaps' to have created something is unwarranted. Mr. Atheist, you have made an invalid statement. You say it is a fairly accurate thing to suggest with all theist. If you would have actually read what I said earlier, you might have seen that I said 'maybe I am the anomaly'. But you skipped over that part. Because of this, you made an invalid statement.

Mr. Atheist: 'As for propaganda, sort of...answers'. The other is not me. What is true about the geese is not always true about the gander. As I said perhaps I am the anomaly compared to most theists. Though you did not particularly state that I was the other, I say this to distinguish myself from any warrant of this argument.

Mr. Atheist: 'I also don't think that the truth is being manipulated...dogma and theistic beliefs'. Very well, the truth is not being manipulated. But concede to the fact that you have agendas other than Truth since you are trying to change future perceptions behaviors etc. And I also think you should concede the point that it is impossible to tell whether or not you all are defending Truth or if you are simply making posts out of your agenda to influence perceptions behaviors etc. But you don't have to if your agenda is to change perceptions behaviors etc. I'm not saying you do have to otherwise, I'm just saying if this is the case, you don't have to.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
The Bible is written in metaphors and so its truth is not to be caught at a glance. I don't know how keenly you've attempted to read it but it is there.

Please, again, tell me where you see a question. As far as I can see, your assumption is phantasmic. I simply stated that I don’t know how keenly you’ve read the Bible. This is a statement about my lack of knowledge regarding how keenly you’ve read it. Am I supposed to know you’ve even read it at all? For all I know, you are an atheist because you reject Allah and the Q’uran.

The statement in itself is suggesting that if if one had read the bible, it that even if they had it would not have met with the standard that you have read it unless they found the truth that you found.

Your error is assuming that the "truth" you found in it is in fact "truth" to other people and not your own delusional interpetation of "truth".

Mr. Atheist: you are sounding like I AM GOD AS YOU on this response. I will answer you anyway. You claim that the statement in itself SUGGESTS that if --then it gets funky--. Well, maybe it does suggest that, if I knew that the person I was talking to had read the bible. But look at what I said again,

1-24 wrote:
Am I supposed to know you've even read it at all?
I had no indication that ReneeObsidianwords had read the Bible. She gave me no explicit information that she read the Bible. If you had read the history of posts, you would have known this. And, unlike what is all too commonly done on this website, I try not to suggest anything from what other people say. Mr. Atheist, your criticism was based on a hypothetical situation that never was actually the case. Mr. Atheist, this criticism is also invalid. It is as phantasmic as ReneeObsidianwords responses were.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

Okay, does anyone else see something wrong with this Bible test? I don’t have much more to say about this matter. Talk about errors

Whats wrong with the questions that she presented? I don't know if it was her intention to have the same question twice, but considering the lunacy of such a claim why not have it twice?

The biggest problem I see is that it assumes that people have taken a peice of fiction so seriously that it requires people to come up with ways of mocking belief in it.

Mr. Atheist: If you read the question again you see he asks me, 'If you answered YES to any of these questions, then you must admit that the Bible has made some pretty serious mistakes'. It was an honest mistake by Entomophila. I say that it serves to show that those who are not free of sin should not cast the first stone. Mr. Atheist, there was nothing invalid with your response here.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

Doomed Soul, you’re cool. Thus far. Rational? That has yet to be determined. But cool. Thus far.

Is your defintion of "rational" people that don't offend/attack your beliefs?  Just curious.

Mr. Atheist: I have affirmed he is cool. I have not affirmed he is rational. Just honest.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I do love the biblical truths, because the biblical truths were used to commit atrocious crimes against jews throughout the centuries because the truth of the jews was in the bible, that they were Jesus killers (except jesus was a jew, but lets not get the facts in the way for metaphorical truths and stories right) or to keep slaves in the south (again it was alright in the bible and god said it to be fine therefore it is true men can be kept as slaves) even through today we find it morally reprehensible.

The great thing about truth in the bible is that it changes from decade to decade and from century to century. It never really stays the same throughout history because it is up to interpretation. Of course you would have to have bothered with history to know this.

Propaganda. Where is your rational response?

Did you just suggest that this is propaganda? You can look no farther than the # of sects of Christianity, or even the Catholic church to see the changes in the interpretations of the bible.

Changes in the interprestations are neccessary for the survival of religion as peoples feelings on social issues have changed.

prop·a·gan·da      /ˌprɒpəˈgæn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prop-uh-gan-duh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun

1.information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Mr. Atheist: this is the definition of propaganda from Dictionary.com. Now, you've already told me about the other agenda of this website. I am not going to actually answer your question on this one. I didn't write flat out 'this is propaganda', but my one word answer was meant to be a statement, a factual statement. But you decide whether or not it is propaganda.

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Quote:
Anyone I have left out, I don't apologize. You probably weren’t worth making a mention of. But for all of you that I have mentioned, know that I’m not here to waste your time with propaganda and fallaciousness. And no, I have no black belt, but my reason will stand up against any rational responder. If you find anything I said about you or your other atheist to be inaccurate, please send a RATIONAL response to me. Otherwise  accept it and move on.

I have to admit that I haven't seen too much content from you yet.

You say you don't subscribe to a specific religion, yet you subscribe to truth in the bible.  If this is not a direct linking to a specific religious header it is at least a reduction to a couple specific ones.

Perhaps if you outline what exactly your beliefs are we can't find which sect you share beliefs with.

At the end of the day all I have to say is...

Faith in a deity is irrational.  Some people (like most deists) recognize this and accept it as what they consider a reasonable leap.  There is no reason to believe that there is truth in the Bible, and any truth in the Bible is at best coincidental, and at worst a delusion of the reader.

The moral and ethical standards specified in the Bible are horrific and classifying them as Metaphores does nothing to change that.

I wrote a bit about this on a recent blog entry perhaps you can give it a once-over:

The Bible: Literal, Metaphorical, Poetic

I also get the strong impression that you seem to view your interpretation of the Bible as somehow more correct than other peoples, perhaps you could elaborate on this one and correct me if I am wrong.  I am most curious about who has the 'wrong' interpretations of the Bible according to your own standard (excluding atheists that have not found the "truth" that you have anyways).

That's all I got for now...been away for a week so a lot to catch up on.

Mr. Atheist: You say you haven't seen much content from me yet. You are right, that will come tomorrow. But I am sure from this reply, you'll not equate me to some geek off the street as I have exposed the flaws in your counterarguments. When it comes to truth, I do not relent. If the people who are participating in this thread do not like that, I strongly suggest they not read what I post on Friday. When peoples foundations are shaken, it is difficult for them to recover. I absolve myself of any and all responsibility for peoples conceptions of there world being shattered. Read at your own risk in short. This is not a threat, but a warning. To deny a witness of God is easy to do. But, to deny evidence of Him; this will be the most difficult thing for your conscience to bare. This is why a sin against the Holy Spirit is an eternal sin. It haunts you for eternity. Consider yourselves warned. We are not just talking the game of Atheists are right and Theists are wrong, or Theists are right and Atheists are wrong. We are talking about the highest form of truth. You shouldn't even consider me or yourselves as theists or atheists anymore. This is all about truth. This is not about hurting anyones feelings, not about any alterior motive. It is about one thing. That is truth.

Until next post...

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Perhaps

1-24 wrote:

Perhaps Entomophila will have some insight, as he seems particularly interested.

Just to let you know, 1-24.  Ento is a woman.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

Thanks for your post..

HisWillness wrote:

1-24 wrote:

Bob was saying "it's a tautology" for the same reason I was saying "you're just making a statement." There's nowhere to go here. Your optimism is admirable, but logic will not lead you to any immaterial deity, much less a specific immaterial deity.

Yeah, when I say logic I don't mean this stuff. I just began using math because of BobSpence1 and Entomophila. I think your right in saying that this logic will not lead you to any immaterial nor material deity. And also, when I say set, I don't mean set theory. Don't even know what it is to be honest.

But I want to say something about my previous post. I would rather have not had to write it, but I saw it necessary. One part of the warning that I expressed has to do with the problem of authority. As anyone gets skilled at pointing out fallacies or seeing the truth, they have a sense of authority over people who are prone to folly. When it comes to having evidence of God, you simultaneously have all the authority in the world because you have the highest of evidences and you have no authority at all because you are part of a greater picture. It is the worst of binds because you have so much authority, yet so little. In a way its like taken the red pill in the Matrix - you want to know, and then when you finally find out, you can't escape it. This is not an easy thing, especially for people like us, who strive so aggressively for the truth. At the same time though, such truths are made only for people like us. So yeah just wanted to monologue on a less vindictive note.

Who knows if the evidence I have is true anyway. This could be all for not. But anyway, let me make sure I finish writing this proof..

1-24

Mazid the Raider
User is offlineOffline
Just wanted to make a quick point...

1-24 wrote:
As soon as Theism is gone, atheism is also gone. Thus there is no 'win' for an Atheist; there are only wars to be fought- only decadence to take place.

Theism going away AND obviating Atheism is exactly the win we want! Do you think I want to spend my time dealing with people who ardently refuse to think?

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Watcher

I sorry for being so careless Ento. I'll make sure I get it right next time.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
XX v XY

I forgive you.  But I am used to theists believing that scientists can only be male.

User is offlineOffline
Quote:First off, let me say

Quote:

First off, let me say that I sense a bit of obstinacy in your tone. I am going to assume that this is because I haven't met you with the opposition that you feel you deserve. In regards to your rebuttal against the atheist stance. This is precisely why people always think atheists are angry. I can't quite recall who the person with the picture of a cat shooting off some automatic gun is, but s/he posted a thread about the relationship of atheism and anger.

No anger, just thought it was odd that you wouldn't address my comments and then "call me out" for a response.

Quote:

Therefore Atheism is always, and necessarily, in opposition. The only thing atheism stands up for is a fight.

Wrong, it is just a different view on same issue.  There is no requirement for conflict or 'opposition' any more than there is a need for opposition between two theist sects that agree on most issues.

Quote:

But, should the response to this be nihilism.

Atheism is not nihilism this is a common misconception and a rather grave error by my evaluation.

Quote:

To be an atheist is necessarily to be an instigator.

Are babies instigators?
Ignorance of religion is still atheism.  There is no requirement for instigation of anything but rather total avoidance is perfectly legit as well.

Quote:

But you know what, I'll allow you to oppose me. Opposition is what makes you exist Mr. Atheist. I'll be happy to afford you an existence.

I have no need for opposition, but thanks for being a dick.  I made a post, you didn't respond, and then called me out asking me to answer a question I intentionally didn't answer before...who's the one instigating?

Quote:

Mr. Atheist, your opinion is accepted. My stance was barely made known to anyone before I met such resistance. The idea that there was merely a disagreement with my stance did not warrant the type of comments that were made. But this is your opinion and that is fine with me.

The key here is realizing how common your approach is for these forums.  You draw up a lot of attacks, which apparently are legit, because of the pattern you follow which is the same as many before you.  And since the comments were, for the most part, legit...it's hard to take issue with peoples responses.

Quote:

Mr. Atheist: 'Well, you are claiming that the 'magic man' created it'. This assertion is unwarranted.  It relies on a conception of God that you use, not me. To assert that  I am claiming the 'God of the Gaps' to have created something is unwarranted. Mr. Atheist, you have made an invalid statement. You say it is a fairly accurate thing to suggest with all theist. If you would have actually read what I said earlier, you might have seen that I said 'maybe I am the anomaly'. But you skipped over that part. Because of this, you made an invalid statement.

I don't think you're an anomaly at all.  You attributed universe creation to a deity.  End of story.

Quote:

Mr. Atheist: 'I also don't think that the truth is being manipulated...dogma and theistic beliefs'. Very well, the truth is not being manipulated. But concede to the fact that you have agendas other than Truth since you are trying to change future perceptions behaviors etc. And I also think you should concede the point that it is impossible to tell whether or not you all are defending Truth or if you are simply making posts out of your agenda to influence perceptions behaviors etc. But you don't have to if your agenda is to change perceptions behaviors etc. I'm not saying you do have to otherwise, I'm just saying if this is the case, you don't have to.

I am confident in suggesting that the "truth" is that we don't know if there is a deity.  That is the truth.  There is no substantial reason to believe in a deity.  Until such time that there is evidence to support the existance of a deity than the only "truth" is that we don't have evidence for a deity.  That is the truth.

Quote:

I had no indication that ReneeObsidianwords had read the Bible. She gave me no explicit information that she read the Bible. If you had read the history of posts, you would have known this. And, unlike what is all too commonly done on this website, I try not to suggest anything from what other people say. Mr. Atheist, your criticism was based on a hypothetical situation that never was actually the case. Mr. Atheist, this criticism is also invalid. It is as phantasmic as ReneeObsidianwords responses were.

I disagree.  Your statement in itself was suggesting that any amount of bible reading that came to a different conclusion was not sufficient since the truths were there and even if we had read it extensively that our research was not sufficient since we did not find the truths that are there.

With me on this?  Perhaps the issue was just your wording.

Quote:

When it comes to truth, I do not relent. If the people who are participating in this thread do not like that, I strongly suggest they not read what I post on Friday. When peoples foundations are shaken, it is difficult for them to recover.

I'll start laughing now, I'll end after reading your post.

Quote:

This is not a threat, but a warning. To deny a witness of God is easy to do. But, to deny evidence of Him; this will be the most difficult thing for your conscience to bare.

*yawn* - show me the money.

Your comments are a dime a dozen on these forums and I can't imagine you're any smarter or have come up with any more interesting of a case than anyone else.  I'm all ears though.  Do you think your evidence is strong enough to get James Randi involved? You could score yourself a million bucks.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me clarify my point

Let me  clarify my point about mathematical statements: simple statements like "1 + 1 = 2" are tautological in the sense that '2' is just another way of describing the number of things you get when you associate 1 'thing' with another 1 thing. '1 + 1' is the same as '2', phrased differently, but in a sense referring to the same thing.

This class of statement could also be described as a definition, assigning a word or symbol to refer to a particular thing or concept.

Here's another definition:

A 'circle' is a line made up of all the points in a plane (flat 2-dimensional surface) that lie a constant distance from another fixed point in the same plane.

The only 'truth' value in such a statement is whether it is generally accepted that the word 'circle' is what we will use to refer to a such a geometric figure. Other than this point of language, it tells us nothing about reality, it just encapsulates in one word a useful concept. There probably are no 'perfect' circles 'out there', but there many things which approximate such a pattern/shape closely enough for mathematical deductions about circles to be useful.

Maths is composed of such definitions, plus 'theorems' which establish further strictly logical consequences that follow from such definitions. It is essentially the progressive elaboration of the necessary relationships between various abstract but strictly defined entities. When we see entities in the 'real' world which have some attributes or relationships which closely correspond to some idealised math entities, we can use math theorems to infer other things about these entities and the relationships between them.

At the simplest level, we can think of 'quantity', which can be applied to a collection of discrete objects. When we decide to treat two collections as a single group, we find this corresponds to the operation of arithmetic addition, at least when thinking of the 'quantity' of individual objects in each collection. Maths only becomes useful here when the quantities go beyond single digits, since the digits 0 to 9 are defined to correspond to particular quantities. The rules describing how we represent larger numbers allow us to find regularities that simplify the task of finding the correct representation of the sum of two large numbers without having to individually count them.

So math describes an ideal abstract world which is (usually) intended to capture some aspects of the 'real' world, and elaborate all the logical implications of the initial definitions, ie the 'axioms' of the particular system of math. It is essentially deductive, although it borders on the experimental when we use high-powered computers to explore the properties of very complex structures/combinations of the elementary math entities. The results here can go way beyond what we would expect, be counter-intuitive, even though we know that we are dealing with an absolutely deterministic, completely defined system.

How well the conclusions of math will predict unexpected properties of reality depends on just how closely the relevant real world entities correspond to the idealized elements of the math, ie how well the math 'models' the real world. The 'truths' of math and logic are in a different category to statements about the the external world of people and potatoes and planets. Mathematical and logical truth is just a statement of logical consistency, not about external reality. You cannot prove God purely with logic - you will have to justify the premises on which you base any logical argument.

All our knowledge of external reality is a simplified model of what is really '"out there" - we do not apprehend the external world directly with our minds, we just build up progressively more useful predictive models of the way the perceived world appears to behave, at least in those aspects of interest to us.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Propaganda

"1.information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc."

This is not an adeqate definition of 'propaganda':

I prefer this one:

" chiefly derogatory information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view : he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda."

which captures more of the negative connotations of the word in the way it is normally used.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist,

Mr.Atheist wrote:
Do you think your evidence is strong enough to get James Randi involved? You could score yourself a million bucks.

Mr. Atheist, this is a philosophical proof - it is not energy healing, ghosts, or any other paranormal activity. If Mr. Randi 'does' philosophical proof, bring him on too.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Mr. Atheist, this

1-24 wrote:

Mr. Atheist, this is a philosophical proof - it is not energy healing, ghosts, or any other paranormal activity. If Mr. Randi 'does' philosophical proof, bring him on too.

"philosophical proof"?  That's what you are going to bring us tomorrow?  wtf?  Could you give us the definition of "philosophical proof"?

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1,

BobSpence1, post #117 was exceptional. You use words very well and I found no flaws in your argument. I am in complete agreement. Thank you for posting it.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:1-24 wrote:Mr.

Watcher wrote:

1-24 wrote:

"philosophical proof"?  That's what you are going to bring us tomorrow?  wtf?  Could you give us the definition of "philosophical proof"?

I am seriously excited to read about this tomorrow!  Smiling

Philosophical proof..

will it be the same as metaphysical validation?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
You said you could prove

You said to us you would prove the existence of God beyond reasonable doubt. A philosophical argument by its very nature allows for reasonable doubt. A philosophical argument can in no way withstand the rigorous tests of reasonable doubt.

Here is a very brief list of philosophical arguments regularly touted by theists on this site. The arguments below have all been heavily refuted since their conception.

The cosmological argument
Pascal’s wager
The ontological argument
The morality argument

None of these have stood up too well after atheists got a hold of them.

So you will have to do better than all of these guys. Shit you will have to do better than Blaise Pascal. This is the man who invented the syringe and is responsible for probability theory. Sorry to say this but I think you are way out of your league. If you are half the man you make yourself out to be I predict you will be paying this site $1,000+. No philosophical argument can be evidence beyond reasonable doubt.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

Mazid the Raider
User is offlineOffline
I wanna see what this guy comes up with!

Shhh, Nick, you're gonna scare him away!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yes, BobSpence1 is one of my

Yes, BobSpence1 is one of my many "Enlightened" sons. I have tried to reach you too 1 -24, but you are so busy with your "reasoning", you cannot hear me.

I've suggested you pluck out your busy "eye of reason". I can promise you a new better one. Ask in silent honest respect of yourself and you shall recieve. You are as I GOD, there is no other. We are ONE, nothing is separate.

( now on a human animal level --- if I ever steal pretty wise Renne away for myself, I ain't sharing all the details. I need her for serious uninterrupted meta - physical secret research. When it comes to these things, God is a hungry greedy wolf too, ya know. )

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Philosophical proof

phi·los·o·phy      /fɪˈlɒsəfi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fi-los-uh-fee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -phies.

1.the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Mazid the Raider
User is offlineOffline
We can do this too, so stop trying to pretend it helps you.

Main Entry:
phi·los·o·phy Listen to the pronunciation of philosophy
Pronunciation:
\fə-ˈlä-s(ə-)fē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural phi·los·o·phies
Etymology:
Middle English philosophie, from Anglo-French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek, from philosophos philosopher
Date:
14th century
1 a (1): all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:phi·los·o·phy

1-24 wrote:

phi·los·o·phy      /fɪˈlɒsəfi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fi-los-uh-fee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -phies.

1.the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

And how does a "philosophical proof" derive from that?  Can you name one single thing that has been proven with Philosophy?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Philosophy and religion

Philosophy and religion is mostly bunk. Science rules as the truest honest study of me and you and all that is !   I love girls,  is science too !

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religious_Rebel wrote:I just

Religious_Rebel wrote:

I just thought I'd add that to many the holy spirit is this state of perfection, and that blaspheming against the holy spirit is saying something along the lines of "loving your fellow man is foolish"...   Something of this nature.  I haven't seen the original video in question but doubt it is something of this nature.  To many the holy spirit is the perfect acting out of of Jesus' teachings and really if people were to do this you wouldn't have much of a problem with kind, loving people who are trying to lift up atheists (and others) in any way they can, instead of knocking them down. 

I hope I got my message across.  It isn't Jesus-like to tell someone they're an idiot, or get a violent tone, or even arbitrarily tell them they're going to hell, etc.

Instead of doing whatever you can to convince others that Jesus is God, try using one of your brain cells and realize that imitation is the highest form of flattery.  Also, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, something I'm sure a forgiving soul like Jesus would agree with.  Like the poster above me said,  promoting separation is NOT a virtue.

I really appreciate where you're coming from. Intrinsically I disagree with some of the reasoning behind your statements (not going to mention them, I'm sure we'll have some interesting discussions on this forum).

At heart, "confrontational" and/or "militant" atheists are as vital in the long run as the moderates and the peacemakers among us. I myself divide my energies between these ends. I consider myself a militant, however. I've been called the Malcolm X of Atheism on my campus. At the same time, I'm VP of the Exec Board of my college's Secular Society, and I do not bring a sense of order and discipline to the organization, but I leave my militarism at the door when I represent the organization. On my own time, I expound on my own social theories, which I'm sure you'll encounter on this site, but my point, I guess, is that I tend to take people's online personalities with a grain of salt and I ask that they do the same of me.

Just wanted you to know, though, I appreciate where you're coming from. Things can get ugly here sometimes. Of course that's half the fun. So welcome on board, and try to have a sense of humor.

---Fulltimedefendent

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Watcher wrote:

1-24 wrote:

I am seriously excited to read about this tomorrow!  Smiling

Philosophical proof..

will it be the same as metaphysical validation?

Looking forward to tomorrow as well, but personally I've had enough of that brand of so-called validation.

Getting out my Bible, my Science Books, any and all books I own on philosophy, and my Nadsat Glossary. I think collectively we can build a hyperspace bypass through 1-24's "philosophical proof."

Careful not to build a house on sand, 1-24.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

User is offlineOffline
Ugh...a philly cheese steak

Ugh...a philly cheese steak proof of good eh...yay. *groan*

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  What is this fear ? IT

What is this fear ? IT IS what WE ARE, fear fear fear , so grab some relief, thank me god for blessed evolution .... Hey, that is me GOD calling you .... geezzz  , stop denying me, get your GOD stuff on .... LOUDER , say NO NO NO , LOUDER,  NO to PAIN .... NO to Death .... we are god and we want what we want ..... "Nevermore" to surrendering .... All is One , nothing DIES, we just move on,  relaxe. This IS Eternity .... You will always be , and always was , all is ONE ! Thanks Buddha ! I feel good  .... ONE ONE ONE !  WOW I AM THE NITTY GRITTY , the shit .....

James Brown Live 8 - I Feel Good   http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcNiebYGuo

Again , same message,  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDrJ5Z2rKw

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Proven

What is to be revealed in the coming pages relies on the comprehension of this phenomenon:

The Truth and The Infallible are at odds

There are two ways of making things evident. One can do so either by discovering or by uncovering. What is made evident from discovery is Truth. What is made evident from an uncovering is that which cannot be false - the Infallible.

What is evident is evident. But that which is not yet evident requires proof to be made evident.

Proof is either a discovering or an uncovering. What is more, it makes evident what is not yet so. But it can be unsuccessful at this endeavor.

If there exists no thing to be made evident, proof cannot discover or uncover that thing. Thus it cannot succeed. So also, proof cannot succeed if it attempts to make evident that which is forbidden.

What has been forbidden?

Strictly speaking, no thing - as there shouldn‘t be: there does not exist a thing that ought not be exposed for what it is.

Essentially however, there is a type of proof that is unsuccessful when attempted.

Because proof is either a discovering or an uncovering, there may exist a proof such that in its attempt to make a thing evident, it is destined to fail. Such a proof would either :

attempt to discover that evidence which is only uncoverable or,

attempt to uncover that evidence which is only discoverable

Each proof is a pursuit to no avail.

That being said there is room for doubt that the aforementioned has brought upon itself. “Cannot this very message be evidence of the forbidden proof?  For all that has been asserted has been done so truthfully [as if made evident by discovery], but who can be sure Truth is discoverable?”

1-24 wrote:
In case what I have just said is in anyway unclear, I see it proper to introduce qualifications [instances] so that I leave as little ambiguity as possible.

In a very particular understanding of it, the situation that the aforementioned has brought upon itself is this scenario:

I am in a basement with a person born deaf. I hear the rain outside and I sign to her, “it is raining outside”. As there is no internet, no windows, no television forecast in the basement, she signs back, “how can you tell?”

Now, before I get to the particular understanding by which this scenario explains the aforementioned, it must be expressed that there is some ambiguity as to the sense of the question the deaf girl signs. In one sense, she can be asking for empirical evidence - the evidence based on the data currently available. However, in another sense, she can be asking about the epistemic basis for the evidence - the faculty that begot the evidence.

While the sense is not yet clear in this scenario, a certain scenario can compel one to respond in a certain sense. If, for example, someone asserts that a certain book is red and her friend asks, ‘how can you tell’, one may be compelled to reply, ‘by looking at it’. This response is only evidence proper insofar as its sense is the same as the response “through the faculty of  z/sight”. That is what the asker would most likely presume the responder means. If one meant, instead, that “looking at it” was somehow adequate datum for evidence, I would claim that the quality ‘red’ of the book has not been adequately made evident empirically.  The asker would agree with this claim if she were color blind. If she looked at it, she would not yield that same conclusion. That datum would not have been available for her.

Now, with that out of the way, in regards to the aforementioned question , ‘Who can be sure Truth is discoverable’ – this question is necessarily epistemic in sense. The question was formed to contend the merit of the manner/faculty with which I made things evident. It was formed under the belief that I spoke as if I _in terms of my own definition_ discovered that which I made evident. The contender, unfortunately, could not perceive any datum that warranted my speaking in this manner. The contention, therefore, was ‘how can one know if all you have made evident is actually that which can be made evident by discovery, id est actually Truth?’

The answer to this question is, regrettably, that one cannot know. But I never stated that what I spoke was Truth. The contender was led to believe this by way of no evidence I supplied. But given the nature of the content of my assertions, in light of this skepticism, any assertion that I have already made and will henceforth make is bound to demonstrating that that which is made evident through communication can be evidence of either the Infallible or of the Truth; that is, if anything that I have said or will continue to say is to have any merit as actual evidence. Thus, it is not the existence of any particular thing I am here proving. I am setting out to remove any possibility of doubt that any contender may be able to raise concerning anything here written.

As regards the very particular understanding of the original scenario; I raise this scenario in a position of a person speaking about a faculty that a deaf person does not have. Before you get indignant about what this suggests, ‘hear’ me out. I am not at all insinuating that I am superior to you and that I have some faculty that you don’t have. Please do not misunderstand what I mean to indicate by this scenario. I am only bringing up a very delicate contention. That contention is this; if someone was communicating to you regarding something he or she claimed to be true and you hadn’t the epistemic faculty to discern that claim to have merit, you would more than likely dismiss that someone as confused or confusing. Hence, what I ask that you grant me is the most impossible of grants. I ask that before you dismiss me a confused person, you hear me out.  

As the spokesperson of this evidence, it is only appropriate that I uncover this veil of ‘discoveries’ so that the authority by which they were written may be accepted. What has thus far been written is nothing new - it is an age old wisdom about which much testimony has already been provided. It is the Sacred Science revealed in the Book of Truth.

Before any revelation may be made concerning this evidence, there is one more matter that need be ‘truthfully’ brought into the open.

1-24 wrote:

As I use the word truthful in quotations, I mean by this the definition by which the initial skepticism was raised. Truthful, according to the original skepticism, meant as ‘if’ made evident by discovery. From here on I use the word truthful without skepticism; with perfect knowledge of that which is actually truthful. Thus when I use it, the word will mean as ‘though’ made evident by discovery. The ‘truthfully’ just above can be interpreted as either ‘if’ or ‘though’. In other words, I could have used truthfully or ‘truthfully’ and the meaning of the subsequent evidence will not have changed.

Moreover, I hope it is clear by now that the words truthfully and truth have little comparison to each other. At least, not in the way I employ them. Truth is what is made evident by discovery. Truthfully is a manner of speaking. It is speaking as though what has been asserted has been made evident by discovery. The great misfortune is that all assertions appear truthful.

Truth is:

truthfully, that which is made evident by discovery.

infallibly, it is that evidence with the capacity to be otherwise.

That the sky is blue or the moon is round- such are the evidents [manifestations] concerning Truth. When the sky is magenta or the moon shatters into the ten thousand fragments, the evidents will tell the same different story.

The Infallible

Is, truthfully, that which is made evident by revelation - uncovering.

It is, infallibly, that evidence that endures changelessly.

An evident of knowledge is that one cannot know that she doesn’t know. The essence of knowledge is such that to know that one doesn’t know, one must know the very thing that she doesn’t know in order to know that she doesn’t know it. By then she would have found out what she didn’t know. Thus this manifestation of knowledge deduces the same changeless conclusion regarding it, “There is no more knowledge in the world to be acquired”.

1-24 wrote:

First off, when I speak of evident in the form of a noun, I am just talking about an affirmation that is made.

Now, in terms of the evidents regarding the sky and the moon, I do not assert them as evidents as a result of their being validly evident. I merely use them as evidents because I believe commonly held conceptions can better understand how Truth may be understood infallibly [as though made evident by uncovering].

In terms of the infallible conclusion that I refer to as that which the manifestation of knowledge deduces- this is a normative claim. The plausibility of it can be fleeting, but that there is no more knowledge to be acquired is essentially, the evidence of Omniscience. Omniscience is possessing all knowledge in the sense that one cannot accurately point to that which he does not know. In other words, ‘How can I know what I don’t know if I don’t know what it is I don’t know?’ To possess the capacity to point out that which he does not know would be to know that thing.

This being said, what remains to be accomplished is the revelation of the Sacred Science by which this evidence gains its authority.

Concerning Omnipotence

1-24 wrote:

To understand how I intend to go about revealing the authority of the evidence I assert, we should turn back to the example that you may have insinuated about what I was implying concerning the deaf girl…

…omnipotence is the manner in which this other ‘epistemic faculty’ will be revealed. Though nothing is said concerning omnipotence in the Bible, you will still be able to understand how it is applicable. Moreover, even if you do not find it applicable to the Bible, as I said before, the Bible is a witness and this is the evidence. Therefore, the applicability does not help or hinder the validity of the argument.

Now, the epistemic faculty for the deaf girl brings up an interesting dilemma. How is she supposed to accept that the faculty to hear exists without ‘blind’ faith? She cannot possibly conceive of it as an epistemic faculty, so if it does exist she cannot have any evidence of it. She may have received empirical hints – like people mouthing to each other or people jogging with an mp3 player, but this data cannot conclude successfully that there exists such a faculty. Hence, it is necessarily the case that if there is another faculty that one can have epistemic evidence for, then that faculty must already exist within her. That she doesn’t have evidence for it would then only mean that the faculty is quelled: it must be a vestige of sorts. Thus for it to be evident to her, it only need be evoked or harnessed. But how can this evocation be executed? Well, what better way to evoke a faculty then to suspend all the other ones? Thus, what I set out to do henceforth is evoke this evidence by suspending the merit of all the other faculties.

Omnipotence is the ability to do anything.

There is a paradox that tests the evidence of Omnipotence: it asks, “Is God able to make a stone so heavy that even he cannot lift it?”

If God is able to make the stone, then we are to conclude that God cannot lift that stone and is unable. If God is not able to make the stone, then we are to conclude that he is unable again. Either answer concludes a God who is unable to do something. Thus, this paradox is said to be sufficient grounds for claiming that omnipotence, the ability to do anything, has been made evident without merit.

But if we uncover the evidence [by which this claim is logically deduced] we see that this evidence is only circumstantial, and does not belong in the category of the infallibly evident.

The conclusion deduces, “God is unable to make a stone so heavy he cannot lift it, and also lift that stone”.

But, there is another way of looking at ability that the previous conclusion neglects to reveal. Ability, in one sense of the word, can be understood as potential - the latent capacity that may or may not be developed. Applied in this sense, if God is able to make the stone, we do not have to necessarily deduce that he is unable to lift it. Because ability is being interpreted as latent, ability never has to be exercised in order for it to be possessed. Everything can be said to have ability so long as ability is latent. Moreover, latent implies that it is not yet evident in any manner. Thus it needs only our belief in it to be truthfully present.

1-24 wrote:

an example of latent ability is a carpet having the potential to fly

Because of this interpretation, the deduction does not infallibly discredit omnipotence. We have just uncovered an interpretation of ability that makes the previous deduction correct only normatively; in terms of a particular interpretation of ability.

Thus, this deduction has reestablished the merit of the concept omnipotence. However, in a normative sense, it has brought us further away from establishing that merit. As this unique interpretation of ability uncovers the lack of merit in the previous deduction, it does so –in one sense – at the expense of its own obsolescence. Omnipotence becomes something negligible; it depends on a present that is necessarily hidden and a future that never has to be met. As everything can be said to possess ability, the evidence of it becomes meaningless.

Because of this, to concede to the existence of omnipotence may not yet be a plausible concession. One can still [and perhaps would much rather] believe the claim that omnipotence doesn’t exist and keep ability a meaningful concept than believing that omnipotence does exist coupled with the effect that ability is meaningless.

So the task of uncovering omnipotence in a meaningful sense still remains. But how can this meaning be derived? Well, since its lack of meaning is established by the normative counterpart of infallible evidence, its meaningfulness will be made known in contradistinction to that normative lack of meaning.  In short, the meaning must be understood from the normative claims that infallible evidence deduces.  This will be done by abstracting the infallible meaning from its normative counterpart in order to counteract the deductions of meaninglessness made about it.

Thus far, we have learned that omnipotence, ability, must be exercised in order to be meaningful. We came about this information by way of the two reasons that omnipotence was said to be negligible.

1) because every thing could be said to possess it

2) because it depended on a present that was necessarily hidden and a future that never had to be met.

Therefore to move away from this obsolescent connotation, ability needs to be deduced in a manner that these claims of its meaninglessness can be opposed. This way, the infallible evidence that begot omnipotence has a chance of being accepted as warranted.

The first task that must be accomplished is that ability needs to be identifiable in its manifestation. In other words, there must be a way of describing how ability exists in its manifestation. We can use the two reasons why ability became negligible to help understand how to go about this.

As was previously noted omnipotence needs to be manifested and also needs to distinguish itself from a negligible existence. One reason why ability becomes negligible is that any and every thing may be said to possess it. So, one can imagine that a property of abilities meaningfulness is that any and every thing cannot be said to possess it. Thus, ability must be characterized under this property of meaningfulness, as well as the property that it must exist manifestly -or, what is the same- it must be present at every moment; concurrently.

If ability was identified in terms of the dialectical evidence that it was an acting toward an end, then it could be considered concurrently evident. But there is immediately a problem. How did this acting toward an end just start happening?

The idea that it needs to have a start is a misunderstanding of the necessary factors of infallible ability. It needs to be manifestly present which doesn’t need to have a start. It just needs to be evident.

But how can this quality of being evident be expressed. Well, it can be deduced dialectically. The nature of its evidentness can be revealed due to the deductions by way of dialectic reasoning. For example, as what we are here concerned with is identifying ability, it is necessarily the case that the ability has not the capacity to end: at least not in a temporal sense. Just as ability, in being infallible, cannot be understood to exist in light of a temporal start, it also cannot be understood to have an end insofar as an end is understood temporally. Thus, the occurrence of the acting toward an end could not be understood as a thing that pursues a finish. What is closer to the truth, what it pursues is its identity in light of that end. But even this is illusive speech. An identity does not pursue its identity. What is more accurate, the upspring of the existence of ability- of omnipotence- implies that the identity of the ability is manifest in light of a particular end.

This, however, cannot be understood as a distancing from the negligible. It was previously established that a condition of its meaningfulness would be showing that any and every thing cannot be said to possess it. But here, it has not [and cannot] be deduced that any or every thing possesses it at all. Ability, in this quality of being evident, is not manifest as something that is actively attempting to demonstrate that a thing can possess it. Thus it does not distance itself from the meaninglessness. Even though it is now dialectically identifiable [evident] as a particular expression of ability, it is not any more meaningful than it was before.

Thus we still have not yet arrived at deducing the meaningfulness of the infallibly evident concept of omnipotence. But we still can try to dialectically deduce more meaning from the other reason that ability was claimed to be negligible. A different expression of ability may be able to make it meaningful. In order to find this different expression, dialectical deductions must be made by way of the second reason.

From the second reason, ability became negligible because it depended on a present that was necessarily hidden and a future that never had to be met.

Dialectically, it can be deduced that for ability to be distinguished in a different expression, it must actively seek its identity. It must search for the identity of ability within the present [that necessarily hides it] and this identity must have the quality of never [necessarily] having to be found.

But again, there is a problem dialectically. That problem is this: any present that is hidden from ability cannot exist with ability. In other words, any present that is hidden is not a concurrent present. It is temporal. From this, one can deduce that anything made evident by way of this temporal present will not be manifestly present. Thus, anything that it actively pursued will not be ability.

The manifestation of infallible ability, in light of the second reason, is unique from the manifestation of infallible ability in light of the first reason. In light of the first reason, the identity of ability was manifest in light of an end. This though, was not enough to establish a thing that possessed this ability. In other words, there was no dog to wag the tail. Thus the existence of this ability is meaningless.

In light of the second reason, the identity of ability is actively escaped. Ability eludes its ‘self’ by pursuing its ‘self’ in light of the temporal. The identity of ability is still manifest in light of the end. But, in its manifestation, it pursues its own capacity to obtain the end; consequently, to put itself to rest. This deduction is just as meaningless as the first. It pursues itself and yet it doesn’t. ‘It’ wags the dog.

Despite the meaninglessness of the infallible omnipotence that has been deduced, there is much more to be said concerning it. But what there is to be said relies on you the reader, because in spite of the meaninglessness of the infallible ability, there is still an assertion that depends on you. Even though these expressions of ability cannot lead one to believe that the infallible exists, something still can.

As was previously uncovered, omnipotence was the latent ability that may or may not be developed. This was made evident infallibly. Now, if you, the reader, believe in the slightest that you may have this latent ability in you– whether it be the potential to close your eyes, or raise your hand or read the next word you see – then, by your very own belief in this potential, you are admitting that omnipotence exists: and, that you are one of its expressions. You are admitting yourself to be a child of God.

1-24 wrote:
Pardon the abruptness of this halt. The light comes at the end of the tunnel. So far, in understanding what I’ve tried to make evident, you are only halfway there. But the rest is up to you. If the rest is to be made known, it is up to you.

Before I wash my hands of this days exhausting task, there is one more qualification that I see fit to make regarding the two expressions of ability. For a mental image of clarification, the first expression of ability deduced is comparable to the existence of an Oxygen ion that seeks Hydrogen electrons. The second expression is comparable to the existence of cyanobacteria that break up the bonds of water.

Mazid the Raider
User is offlineOffline
You really are full of shit, 1-24

Allow me to be the first to call you an idiot, 1-24. I'm not bothering with your entire magnum opus, certainly not after you tried redefining "proof" and "truth", and implying that your over-bearing, ever-present know-it-all won't let you come up with proof and that we, lacking faith, also lack functioning sense organs to feel your suddenly unprovable god.

I have to ask, though: Is English your second language? Either, in your ardent haste to appear intellectual and/or philosophical, you decided to toss sentence structure and punctuation out the window or you're having trouble with a difficult foreign language. If the latter is the case, I understand and sympathize: the second language is always tough, but every one after that gets easier. If, however, this thread is the unsuspecting victim of the former then I will again call you an idiot.

To summarize: you have not presented proof, you have not presented evidence, you have tried to pretend that you have a reason to fail at providing either other than the utter non-existence of any god ever. On the other hand you might only get an F if you turn this in as class work some day, instead of the currently impending ass-whooping.

Have at, folks!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote: <... pile of

1-24 wrote:

<... pile of irrelevant philosophical/theological noise...>

So, no still no actual evidence, then, I see....

What an f**king waste of space (and effort)....

Sorry, 1-24, this just doesn't cut it.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:1-24

BobSpence1 wrote:

1-24 wrote:

Indeed... he had my hopes up...

cant believe i waited all week for that >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:I forgive

entomophila wrote:

I forgive you.  But I am used to theists believing that scientists can only be male.

Hey 1-24,

I made that mistake too.

However, Ento, it may have had more to do your previous avatar. Men tend to assume a poster is male unless the avatar is a picture of a female or something that men perceive as "feminine."

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:1-24

BobSpence1 wrote:

1-24 wrote:

Agreed, brattie, and all that, like, cal as they say. 1-24 delivered the equivalent of theist white noise. And I was so looking forward to today!

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is what you consider

This is what you consider proof beyond a reasonable doubt? You have not met your burden..... not even close.

So are you going to be a decent human being (what Jesus would want of you) and stick to your word or are you going to disappear like a coward and break your word (what the devil wants)?

If you do not pay you love the devil!

I should add that the paradox for omnipotence is not a great one. I do not have the time now but it is easily refutable.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
So I actually waded through

So I actually waded through all that, and I will happily admit I had no idea what was going on.Like I say,I make no claim to be a scientist or philospher. the point is,I read it,and I'm certainly not a christian now because of it. I-24 lied.

Now I have no doubt the OP will argue I had to have faith,or something like that.That's ridiculous of course, if I had faith I wouldn't be a atheist in the first place.

It would be nice to get deludedgod or Todangst in to give this a good refuting so the RRS can get money,but that'd jut be a waste of their time. And who really thinks he's gona pay up?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:I would like to

1-24 wrote:

I would like to say hello, to everyone at the RR Squad. This is my very first post although I've read a few other peoples introductions. I originally heard about this website when a number of representatives went on youtube to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. I must admit that I thought it was very bold and provocative but simultaneously misguided.

Not at all. The supernatural principles it calls on are dismissed in the position that's implied. If that verse can be interpreted, even ad hoc, as a basis for the Blasphemy Challenge, it is sufficient to the purpose of it. The provocation is the beginning and the end of it.

1-24 wrote:
I grew up going to a Catholic Church and although no religion has me now,

Of course they have you. You may have bastardized them, but the stupid ideas were passed through the tradition and authority of the church. You wouldn't have a book or a god's name to brandish if not for formal religions, so your distinction is shallow.

1-24 wrote:
I am quite sure that neither the Bible nor the Holy Spirit are what you mean to be condeming.

This is just a weird assertion.

1-24 wrote:
I have studied quite a few Sacred Texts and the Bible is the most truthful of them all.

Vague rhetoric.

1-24 wrote:
If you are as rational as you all claim or believe, then perhaps you just haven't read it correctly.

Every religious sect being the arbiter of correctness. This is a no true scotsman fallacy.

1-24 wrote:
I don't particularly blame anyone for condeming members of Christian religions as they often haven't been very prudent about the placement of their faith,

There is no prudent variation on religious faith. It's always an unjustified belief, by definition.

1-24 wrote:
but the Bible is beyond reasonable doubt as truthful as it gets.

Sure, repeat the stupid assertion. Why not.

1-24 wrote:
So, that is my introduction message and I hope I can get to understand exactly where you hearts are in relation to the Bible and also Religion

Nobody owes you any answers, and there are other religions out there, you myopic tit.

1-24 wrote:
and perhaps I'd also like to know whether or not you all believe that Atheism and Rational thinking are synonymous? It seems like they go hand and hand on this website.

What is this? Some kind of stupid straw-man? Lurk moar!!!

1-24 wrote:

Til next post..

1-24

I won't be reading it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:So I actually

Loc wrote:

So I actually waded through all that, and I will happily admit I had no idea what was going on.Like I say,I make no claim to be a scientist or philosopher. the point is,I read it,and I'm certainly not a christian now because of it. I-24 lied.

Now I have no doubt the OP will argue I had to have faith,or something like that.That's ridiculous of course, if I had faith I wouldn't be a atheist in the first place.

It would be nice to get deludedgod or Todangst in to give this a good refuting so the RRS can get money,but that'd jut be a waste of their time. And who really thinks he's gona pay up?

Wow! You actually waded thru all that stuff? I admire your determination. And this is only the first half!!??

I forced my self to dip a bit more into than I did at my first attempt, and still detected no sign of actual evidence-based argument as normally understood.

I guess we can take this a prima facie evidence that no such coherent evidence-based argument exists - if one has to resort to these incredibly convoluted highly indirect 'arguments' in an effort to present something which is supposed to be 'proof'.

IOW, congratulations, 1-24, your example supports our position that there are no arguments in terms anything like what would count as evidence to anyone not up to their eyeballs in the most arcane forms of philosophical/theological word-play...

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:So I actually

Loc wrote:

So I actually waded through all that, and I will happily admit I had no idea what was going on.Like I say,I make no claim to be a scientist or philospher. the point is,I read it,and I'm certainly not a christian now because of it. I-24 lied.

I doubt he will pay up. This is a guy who takes 3 days to write something that would take a normal person 30 min. All that just so he can go through his thesaurus and find words like ‘thus’ and ‘dialectically’. Which I personally he uses out of context several times

I mean look at this crap:

‘Thus we still have not yet arrived at deducing the meaningfulness of the infallibly evident concept of omnipotence.’

So yeh, I have doubtfullnessnes in my heart that thus the monetary funds shal be processed through thine data packs on thine server through paypal through to thy paypal of thy RSS in. I very much would have the feelingnessnes of suicidal in me if thine reads one line more of thy incoherent crap from they 1-24.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Well, that's the

1-24 wrote:

Well, that's the problem with Atheism. Atheism exists ONLY in contradistinction to Theism. Therefore Atheism is always, and necessarily, in opposition. The only thing atheism stands up for is a fight. As soon as Theism is gone, atheism is also gone.

That would be the idea. I think you might mean "antitheist", as in someone who actively fights to ridicule the idea that there are gods or monsters in your attic.

1-24 wrote:
We are talking about the highest form of truth. You shouldn't even consider me or yourselves as theists or atheists anymore. This is all about truth. This is not about hurting anyones feelings, not about any alterior motive. It is about one thing. That is truth.

Oh, the awesomeness that must await ...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote:Ugh...a

Mr. Atheist wrote:

Ugh...a philly cheese steak proof of good eh...yay. *groan*

"Philly cheesesteak" would have been a stronger argument, at least. C'mon, imagine if someone came on here doing the same "in two days I will give you proof!" and after two days, posted a philly cheesesteak sandwich. That would have been hilarious!

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
:-)

All of you have judged, but none of you have refuted anything I have said. Make a solid refutation and I will gladly take a look at its merit. If it is a valid point that disrupts my argument, then I will be happy to pay up the money. As is, your judgments are of no substance. If something is unclear, then tell me. I will make it more clear.

1-24

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reader's Digest version with commentary

First of all, the phrase "philly cheesesteak" really would have been a better answer. At least you would have gotten some laughs. Actually, there's plenty of comedy to be found here. Let's take a look:

1-24 wrote:
The Truth and The Infallible are at odds

No kidding! That's kind of the positivist's problem with God (or Thor or Marduk or Amon Ra). The truth seems to be at odds with an infallible anything.

1-24 wrote:
What is evident is evident. But that which is not yet evident requires proof to be made evident.

It's too bad this part didn't come with spooky lighting and some smoke machines. Maybe get James Earl Jones to say it.

1-24 wrote:
So also, proof cannot succeed if it attempts to make evident that which is forbidden.

You have such a career in crystal ball reading. Missed your calling, pal.

1-24 wrote:
attempt to discover that evidence which is only uncoverable or,

attempt to uncover that evidence which is only discoverable

You mean like archeology?

1-24 wrote:
“Cannot this very message be evidence of the forbidden proof?"

Wait, what?

1-24 wrote:
I am in a basement with a person born deaf. I hear the rain outside and I sign to her, “it is raining outside”. As there is no internet, no windows, no television forecast in the basement, she signs back, “how can you tell?”

"Because I can hear and you can't, deaf girl. Now help me figure out a way to get out of this creepy-ass windowless basement."

1-24 wrote:
the faculty that begot the evidence.

Unless someone has already named this, I'd like to call it the "Third Eye" assertion. The gist is that only theists can see gods.

1-24 wrote:
The answer to this question is, regrettably, that one cannot know.

Hey, not so fast there. Have you heard of the scientific method? It's pretty good at discovering and uncovering.

1-24 wrote:
But I never stated that what I spoke was Truth. The contender was led to believe this by way of no evidence I supplied.

Hahahaha! Oh man. You're funny.

1-24 wrote:
It is the Sacred Science revealed in the Book of Truth.

There's a book of truth? And it has boxing in it? Oh ... that's "sweet science". Sorry.

1-24 wrote:
Truthful, according to the original skepticism, meant as ‘if’ made evident by discovery.

Yeah, "as if". I'm getting a kind of "as if" feeling about all of this.

1-24 wrote:
Moreover, I hope it is clear by now that the words truthfully and truth have little comparison to each other.

[...]

Truth is:

truthfully, that which is made evident by discovery.

infallibly, it is that evidence with the capacity to be otherwise.

Welcome to somebody's acid trip. I think I just read two contradictions and a backflip, then a double lutz. The French judge gave you a 5.

1-24 wrote:
When the sky is magenta or the moon shatters into the ten thousand fragments, the evidents will tell the same different story.

Just level with me: being religious is like being high, isn't it? 

1-24 wrote:
This being said, what remains to be accomplished is the revelation of the Sacred Science by which this evidence gains its authority.

Sure does remain to be accomplished. Yup. Any time now.

1-24 wrote:
Though nothing is said concerning omnipotence in the Bible, you will still be able to understand how it is applicable.

'cept you just lied. "Almighty" and "omnipotent" are synonyms. How many times do you figure "almighty" shows up in the bible?

[... more about the third eye ... some "truthosophy" about god and stones ...]

1-24 wrote:
an example of latent ability is a carpet having the potential to fly

I think we all know who's flying at this point. 

[... some more about omnipotence ... even weaker than Kant (quite a feat!) ...]

1-24 wrote:
The idea that it needs to have a start is a misunderstanding of the necessary factors of infallible ability. It needs to be manifestly present which doesn’t need to have a start. It just needs to be evident.

It really, really does. At some point. Still waiting.

1-24 wrote:
The nature of its evidentness can be revealed due to the deductions by way of dialectic reasoning.

This sentence is awesome. I stand by the evidentness of my statement.

[ ... more indecipherable stuff ...]

1-24 wrote:
Thus we still have not yet arrived at deducing the meaningfulness of the infallibly evident concept of omnipotence.

Yup. Any time now.

1-24 wrote:
But again, there is a problem dialectically. That problem is this: any present that is hidden from ability cannot exist with ability.

The supernatural argument again. We can't understand gods because they're not of this world. K, the comedy is winding down at this point. Hoping for a punchline.

1-24 wrote:
Despite the meaninglessness of the infallible omnipotence that has been deduced, there is much more to be said concerning it.

I guess so. Even though we've deduced that it's meaningless?

1-24 wrote:
then, by your very own belief in this potential, you are admitting that omnipotence exists: and, that you are one of its expressions. You are admitting yourself to be a child of God.

Woah - hey, did I fall asleep for a part of this? You jumped right to God from meaninglessness! N.B. IAMGODASYOU will like this part, I think. Except His version is that he's admitting to being God.

1-24 wrote:
If the rest is to be made known, it is up to you.

But ... you haven't actually said anything. This is such a let-down! This is like when that other theist posted that there were messages in the stars, and it turned out that there were just messages about the stars in the Bible. Total let-down!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
So if proof is discovering

So if proof is discovering or uncovering (depending on what is made evident) and proof cannot discover or uncover if something can not be made evident - how does one make something evident? For me it sounds contradictory, however, I feel that your submission has a “mathematical” solution or mathematical explanation that goes beyond my understanding.

Now with that being said, I have not “discovered” a way to make sense of your post and I have not “uncovered” anything that proves your original claim of making things clear.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:All of you have

1-24 wrote:
All of you have judged, but none of you have refuted anything I have said. Make a solid refutation and I will gladly take a look at its merit. If it is a valid point that disrupts my argument, then I will be happy to pay up the money. As is, your judgments are of no substance. If something is unclear, then tell me. I will make it more clear.

1-24

What have you said though? What you have wrote is incoherent and it unbelievably difficult to read. You throw all these big words you pulled out of thesaurus.com into a sentence in the attempt to look smart. All I see, actually all we see (I think I speak for everyone here) is two pages of incomprehensible drivel. If you stop trying to make us think you are more intelligent than you actually are and you write in a coherent manner people will refute your argument.

Guys please tell me, am I stupid or is this one of the poorest sentences you have ever seen?

Quote:
Thus we still have not yet arrived at deducing the meaningfulness of the infallibly evident concept of omnipotence.

Also a philosophical argument can rarely be refuted, a different opinion can be given but it cannot be disproven. You promised proof beyond all reasonable doubt. What you gave us by its very nature cannot be proof beyond all reasonable doubt. Add in the fact that by your own admission it requires ‘faith’. To a person of reason faith is not reasonable so you have not and cannot prove anything beyond all reasonable doubt.