Afraid of my window in my room

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline

...Since I'm now now wide awake again, something I'd like to discuss:

My biggest visceral fear (that is, my biggest fear not tied to social issues or personal drama; the strongest sensation of immediate danger and dread I feel) is, irrationally enough, of my window in my room in the middle of the night. Not of the dark, not of any other window in any other room - my window, in my room in my home (even after those last two have changed hands a few times). To this day, my hair will still stand on end just looking out of it some nights.

The fear stems from an occassional episode of sleep paralysis I have, always with the same recurring hallucination: a man-like figure taking-up the entire field of view through the window; pitch-black skin, wearing a fedora and a long coat, absolutely oozing with malevolence and staring-in with burning red eyes. It reaches an impossibly long arm into my room, as though to try and grab me from my bed and vanishes (the nightmare/paralysis ends) just before he can snare me.

It was terrifying in ways I can't possibly convey in writing when I was young, it was unsettling when I was in my pre-teens and living on the upper floor of a two-storey house (so the 'size' of the imagined monster was much larger), and (the two times it happened) now that I live largely on my own in a thirteen-storey highrise, with a far wider window that overlooks a river valley, it ranks among the most fearsome experiences (however brief) of my life thus far.

Back when I was young, and I recounted to my parents with all of the crying, swearing-on-my-life, shaking and hysterics of what had just happened, describing in vivid detail the monster out the window and all it's menace and activity, they did not go running to the phone to inform the police and local radio station. They didn't phone my grandparents (who lived right next door), grab shotguns (I lived in a rural community at the time) and go out monster hunting.

They consoled me, let me know that monsters weren't real and that it was only a dream, and tucked me into bed.

If, during my last episode, I had leapt to the phone and in a fear-rich tone recounted what had just occurred to the local RCMP, they wouldn't very likely come swarming over to the building ready to cut down a thirteen storey beast with a fusillade of bullets. If I phoned-in to a local newspaper or TV station, I wouldn't place any money on them sending over reporters and cameras ASAP.

In both instances, the most likely reply would be a polite, "That's nice. Fuck off."

...So why the Hell doesn't the same perfectly rational, correct response to my irrational delusion (as frightening and 'real' as it felt to me) just seem to not apply to rediculous, evidence-void crytozoology and UFO 'sightings'? No needfor any kind of proof - call-in a UFO, bigfoot or plesiosaur, and you get the full treatment (in my neck of the woods, anyway): spot on the evening news, full police investigation and at least a passing mention in the morning paper (almost certainly more than that on the local morning radio show). I find it equally astounding, only the tinest bit least disgusting, as outspoken religious movements in town that recieve all of the attention they desire, because it advocates exactly the same thing: support and recognition of unsubstantiated, unfalsifiable (...well, in many cases) claims.

I think, just to illustrate how monumentally stupid we're often being, we should start offering children the phone to dial 9/11 every time the see a bogey man in the closet or under the bed, and make it mandatory for the police to do a full investigation on every such case that gets called in. When they stop making trips to 'UFO landing sites', they can stop making trips to Jimmy and Betty's bedrooms.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...Since

Kevin R Brown wrote:

My biggest visceral fear (that is, my biggest fear not tied to social issues or personal drama; the strongest sensation of immediate danger and dread I feel) is, irrationally enough, of my window in my room in the middle of the night. Not of the dark, not of any other window in any other room - my window, in my room in my home (even after those last two have changed hands a few times). To this day, my hair will still stand on end just looking out of it some nights.

The fear stems from an occassional episode of sleep paralysis I have, always with the same recurring hallucination: a man-like figure taking-up the entire field of view through the window; pitch-black skin, wearing a fedora and a long coat, absolutely oozing with malevolence and staring-in with burning red eyes. It reaches an impossibly long arm into my room, as though to try and grab me from my bed and vanishes (the nightmare/paralysis ends) just before he can snare me.

It was terrifying in ways I can't possibly convey in writing when I was young, it was unsettling when I was in my pre-teens and living on the upper floor of a two-storey house (so the 'size' of the imagined monster was much larger), and (the two times it happened) now that I live largely on my own in a thirteen-storey highrise, with a far wider window that overlooks a river valley, it ranks among the most fearsome experiences (however brief) of my life thus far.

Back when I was young, and I recounted to my parents with all of the crying, swearing-on-my-life, shaking and hysterics of what had just happened, describing in vivid detail the monster out the window and all it's menace and activity, they did not go running to the phone to inform the police and local radio station. They didn't phone my grandparents (who lived right next door), grab shotguns (I lived in a rural community at the time) and go out monster hunting.

They consoled me, let me know that monsters weren't real and that it was only a dream, and tucked me into bed.

If, during my last episode, I had leapt to the phone and in a fear-rich tone recounted what had just occurred to the local RCMP, they wouldn't very likely come swarming over to the building ready to cut down a thirteen storey beast with a fusillade of bullets. If I phoned-in to a local newspaper or TV station, I wouldn't place any money on them sending over reporters and cameras ASAP.

In both instances, the most likely reply would be a polite, "That's nice. Fuck off."

All I have to say here is that after going and reading up on sleep paralysis,that sucks man.It is interesting though this likely accounts for theists seeing "demons."Glad you aren't deluded though.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
...So why the Hell doesn't the same perfectly rational, correct response to my irrational delusion (as frightening and 'real' as it felt to me) just seem to not apply to rediculous, evidence-void crytozoology and UFO 'sightings'? No needfor any kind of proof - call-in a UFO, bigfoot or plesiosaur, and you get the full treatment (in my neck of the woods, anyway): spot on the evening news, full police investigation and at least a passing mention in the morning paper (almost certainly more than that on the local morning radio show). I find it equally astounding, only the tinest bit least disgusting, as outspoken religious movements in town that recieve all of the attention they desire, because it advocates exactly the same thing: support and recognition of unsubstantiated, unfalsifiable (...well, in many cases) claims.

I think, just to illustrate how monumentally stupid we're often being, we should start offering children the phone to dial 9/11 every time the see a bogey man in the closet or under the bed, and make it mandatory for the police to do a full investigation on every such case that gets called in. When they stop making trips to 'UFO landing sites', they can stop making trips to Jimmy and Betty's bedrooms.

You must live in a pretty wack place for police to take those calls seriously.I really wouldn't expect that.

Part of it could be that police are obligated to respond to any call for help,even if the source of danger is highly unlikely.How they discern between this and prank calls I'm not sure. I guess UFO's landing is possible(if unlikely) I mean the goverment has a whole plan for it.While bogeyman are just slightly harder to swallow.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Kevin R Brown

Loc wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

All I have to say here is that after going and reading up on sleep paralysis,that sucks man.It is interesting though this likely accounts for theists seeing "demons."Glad you aren't deluded though.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You must live in a pretty wack place for police to take those calls seriously.I really wouldn't expect that.

Part of it could be that police are obligated to respond to any call for help,even if the source of danger is highly unlikely.How they discern between this and prank calls I'm not sure. I guess UFO's landing is possible(if unlikely) I mean the goverment has a whole plan for it.While bogeyman are just slightly harder to swallow.

Supposing that I was a cop, I would probably investigate a UFO claim whether or not I thought a UFO landing was likely. Whether or not an alien spaceship IS involved, someone's freaked out, and maybe they did experience something, though not necessarily aliens.

However, suppose I worked in child services and a man brought his daughter in and claimed she had been assaulted by demons. I would request an investigation of the household to make sure that no abuse was going on.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Doors can be scary too!

Oh man, I know exactly how you feel with the window fear. Mine is of doorways...not to say that I can't walk through without wetting myself, rather, when I sleep I purposely block from view (by sleeping under my blanket) my room so that if I have an episode of sleep paralysis my eyes will be covered. Doorways were a particular theme during the episodes as a child. I was afraid of Natasha Fatale (natasha and boris- Rocky and bullwinkle.) her big squared off head was always peering at me during my paralysis episodes, in the shape of a door or doorway.

Thinking back through childhood of all the things that went bump in the night, all of the night terrors, all of the times I would dream of being carried into another room and awake in that room. Could you imagine if the police were involved in any reports of oddities. At least we could be assured that our tax money was going towards something Smiling

I think that parents should be charged with the job of explaining the unknown to kids, they should take that role and explain in great detail why there just couldn't be a boogey man. Why the brain plays funny tricks on you while sleeping. Why the grass is green and the sky blue. Why they believe or don't believe in a god and why there are so many gods...the list goes on. I can't help but wonder if my parents took an active role in my sleep issues by thwarting my over active imagination if I would have been saved years and years of agony.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say this with all due

I say this with all due respect....that's pretty fucked up man. The only thing I remember from my childhood of any fear at night was after watching a werewolf in London (I think I was like 7 or 8 tops) and going to bed, my dog was sleeping underneath my bed and he would lick his lips all night so that freaked me out (kept on thinking I have nothing of silver that I can kill it with I am fucked), but it was only for 2 nights after that eh, never bothered me again. But yeah that's messed up.

brights
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline

I see what you mean Kevin.  I don't know if your parents were religious or not but if they were and believed in the devil you most likely would have been carted off to the church for a good old cleansing of the soul.  Maybe  didn't call out the troops because they didn't want their child to labeled and teased to be known as the town demon possessed boy during the night or the boy the devil was seeking in the night.  They thought it was just a bad dream and left it as that...they did you a favor in that respect but they should have explained to you where your dream/fear may have come from.   Maybe you were told some scary story about a demon or some bogyman and the fear of the dream was so real to you, so vivid that you forgot what started it in the first place.   Just thoughts I wanted to put out to you.

I remember when I was a little girl my friends Father decided to play a joke on us and scare us.  He took two rocks or something oval shape, painted them and told us they were giant bugs and dared us to touch them.  Of course we screamed and tried to get away but he wouldn't let us.  Instead he thought it would be funny to tell us they will get us and we have to touch them to prove we weren't afraid or rather fraidy cats.   What an asshat he was to do that to two little girls.  We screamed and ran away anyway.  Later I started having nightmares about them, I kept seeing them and they flew after me.  My parents, especially my Mother just couldn't understand what made me scream in absolute terror every night.  Eventually I think I told her but that was much later then the dreams went away.   That wasn't enough though no of course not.  My wonderful sister decided to make sure I wouldn't get out of bed so she decided to tell me there were snakes on the floor hundreds of them and they would bite me if I got out of bed.  Sheesh no wonder I fear snakes to this day.  I never told my mother but when I got a little older yet still very young I told my sister I would be good and do what she says when she baby sat us if she gave me ice cream.  It worked go the ice cream then when it was time to go to bed I blackmailed her and told her if you tell on me for not going to bed when you told me to I will tell they you gave me ice cream when you weren't suppose to.   I got even, the belief that snakes were on the floor every night and nightmares about flying monster bugs went away.  

Of course I have to edit LOL.  If people called out to the media, police etc. when children had bad dreams or believed in the impossible no one would take it seriously.  Children aren't taken seriously and dreams are not real just fear based and over active imaginations.  When adults claim it all of a sudden it becomes truth or possibility of truth and must be taken seriously.  There's a lot of money in advertising such claims.  When it comes to children there's no money in it, yet.  Maybe when enough people get sick and tired of the adults making ridiculous claims the media will turn attention to the children.  I hope it doesn't come to that.  Religious radicals would most likely terrorize their children just to get the attention or claims of sweeping epidemics of children being possessed, abducted etc etc.  all for the cause and to make money.  I do see some programs where a priest, religious leader of some sort will do an exorcism on a child and people believe that crap too so there's some money to be made in that.  It just hasn't taken off yet. 

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I say this

latincanuck wrote:

I say this with all due respect....that's pretty fucked up man. The only thing I remember from my childhood of any fear at night was after watching a werewolf in London (I think I was like 7 or 8 tops) and going to bed, my dog was sleeping underneath my bed and he would lick his lips all night so that freaked me out (kept on thinking I have nothing of silver that I can kill it with I am fucked), but it was only for 2 nights after that eh, never bothered me again. But yeah that's messed up.

That reminds me of a experience I had. When I was a xtian, I read the conversion story of some woman who was supposedly the head of satansim and married to satan. It had some scary stuff in for me at the time,demons and werewolves and stuff.(It was called non-fiction) So later that night I'm asleep when my cat starts nudging my face for some reason. I woke up freaking out,thinking  a demon was attacking me. I started wrestling wih this 'demon' only to find I was almost strangling my cat.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...So

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...So why the Hell doesn't the same perfectly rational, correct response to my irrational delusion (as frightening and 'real' as it felt to me) just seem to not apply to rediculous, evidence-void crytozoology and UFO 'sightings'? No needfor any kind of proof

*ahem*  While I agree that the majority of the creatures described in cryptozoology do not have any evidence to back them you should not blanket the entire field like it's some crap shoot.  A lot of cryptozoologists are extremely scientific and careful in their research for animals suspected to exist and not currently known to science.

Here's some scientific evidence and proof that the cryptozoological Lake Champlain animal known as Champ really does exist.  http://www.animalvoice.com/lakechamplain.htm  Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if it falls under a generally discredited area of study that it is all crap.  That makes as much sense as saying all the Neanderthal and Erectus fossils we have found are crap because of the Piltdown hoax.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:but they should have

Quote:
but they should have explained to you where your dream/fear may have come from.

Actually, they got me to explain it to them.

My elementary school had done a presentation on the dangers of meeting strnagers. The most prominent image of what a stranger was a silhouette of a man in a long coat and fedora. Whenever a slide showing what not to let a stranger talk you into doing came up, the stranger's were colored red.

Ah, the things our imaginations will make into monsters.

Quote:
*ahem*  While I agree that the majority of the creatures described in cryptozoology do not have any evidence to back them you should not blanket the entire field like it's some crap shoot.  A lot of cryptozoologists are extremely scientific and careful in their research for animals suspected to exist and not currently known to science.

I've yet to see extremely compelling evidence for much of the field's claims. Note the extreme disparity between the evidence on the site you've linked to and the claim they make. Finding echolocation signals under the water is not the same thing as finding a brand new animal species, or one that's thought to be extinct. A simple application of Occam's Razor immediately removes virtually any reason to believe that a rogue Beluga whale was making the noise (an odd resident for the lake to have, yes - but certainly nothing to offer vindication to those who claim to have seen a dinosaur or sea serpent).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I've yet

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I've yet to see extremely compelling evidence for much of the field's claims. Note the extreme disparity between the evidence on the site you've linked to and the claim they make. Finding echolocation signals under the water is not the same thing as finding a brand new animal species, or one that's thought to be extinct. A simple application of Occam's Razor immediately removes virtually any reason to believe that a rogue Beluga whale was making the noise (an odd resident for the lake to have, yes - but certainly nothing to offer vindication to those who claim to have seen a dinosaur or sea serpent).

Who said anything about a rogue Beluga whale, dinosaur, or sea monster?  I didn't.

I think you are making a serious mistake in evaluating the information I linked you to, Kevin.  Echolocation is something that is produced by an animal.  As far as science is concerned echolocation is only used in an aquatic environment by dolphins and whales, both of which exist in the ocean according to animals known to science.

Lake Champlain is above sea level, is a freshwater, and is a far inland lake.  Do you realize the implication here?  A creature is using echolocation that no freshwater animal has ever exhibited to science in a lake where the only way it could swim from the ocean to the lake it would to not only have to swim upstream for a couple hundred miles, but navigate dams and waterfalls to get upstream.

You saying that "finding echolocation noises under the water is not the same thing as finding an animal that should not be there" makes as much sense as saying "just because you can hear someone talking in your bathroom (which does not have a radio or tv) does not mean there is someone actually in your bathroom".

A creature living in this inland freshwater lake is using echolocation.  Echolocation naturally only comes from animals.  Science knows of no freshwater animal that uses echolocation.  What's the most simple (Occam's Razor) answer to that?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Who said anything

Quote:
Who said anything about a rogue Beluga whale, dinosaur, or sea monster?  I didn't.

I apologize; I made a typing error. I meant to say,  'A simple application of Occam's Razor immediately removes virtually any reason to not believe that a rogue Beluga whale was making the noise (an odd resident for the lake to have, yes - but certainly nothing to offer vindication to those who claim to have seen a dinosaur or sea serpent).'

As for 'who said anything about a sea serpent or dinosaur' - I think the answer is obvious enough. Most sightnings of Champ (or the Ogopogo, or Nessie) are instances of people claiming to have seen something spectacular (like a plesiosaur or sea serpent). If it weren't the case, 'Champ' would hardly draw all the attention he does.

Yes, cryptozoologist may have a more reasonable stance here. But that does not excuse the advocation / popularization of the mythical perspective simply to keep the public eye attentive.

Quote:
I think you are making a serious mistake in evaluating the information I linked you to, Kevin.  Echolocation is something that is produced by an animal.  As far as science is concerned echolocation is only used in an aquatic environment by dolphins and whales, both of which exist in the ocean according to animals known to science.

Lake Champlain is above sea level, is a freshwater, and is a far inland lake.  Do you realize the implication here?  A creature is using echolocation that no freshwater animal has ever exhibited to science in a lake where the only way it could swim from the ocean to the lake it would to not only have to swim upstream for a couple hundred miles, but navigate dams and waterfalls to get upstream.

Now, I did not realize that about echolocation. However, as the article states, "This inland sea was inhabited by many of the animals that inhabit the North Atlantic today, including mollusks, sea urchins, squid, herring, cod, salmon, seals, and belugas. In 1849, while constructing a railroad, workmen uncovered the bones of a beluga whale  in a swampy area in Charlotte, Vermont. The fossil beluga is housed in the Perkins Museum at the University of Vermont. By about 10,000 years ago, the Champlain Valley had risen above sea level. The Valley’s waters drained northward into the St. Lawrence River. This  river flows north of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes. Over 20 fossils of ancient beluga whales have been found around Lake Champlain This fact is interesting because of what we found in the lake...echolocation, even though there are no beluga present now."

So, what is Occam's Razor going to find more likely? That some small population of Beluga whales are still in the lake, or that some brand new species of sea creature (or a previously-thought-to-be-extinct one) is?

Quote:
You saying that "finding echolocation noises under the water is not the same thing as finding an animal that should not be there" makes as much sense as saying "just because you can hear someone talking in your bathroom (which does not have a radio or tv) does not mean there is someone actually in your bathroom".

Actually, I think a more fair comparison would be me saying that hearing voices in the bathroom, when nobody I know of is supposed to be in the house, is proof that my house is haunted.

The cryptozoologists here do not stake a reasonable claim based on the evidence:

"This creature is unique, possible severely endangered, and needs to be studied scientifically."

It would much more logical, based on findings and historical precedent, to present the echolocation signals as evidence that Beluga whales are still in the lake. In my opinion, such a statement wasn't sensational enough for the researchers - so they went with the 'unique creature' explanation.

Quote:
A creature living in this inland freshwater lake is using echolocation.  Echolocation naturally only comes from animals.  Science knows of no freshwater animal that uses echolocation.  What's the most simple (Occam's Razor) answer to that?

Almost without question, the simplest answer the Good Razor will find is that a population of Belugas are still in the lake.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Further evidence that

Further evidence that corroborates the notion that a single "unique creature" (Champ) is what the multitudes of sightings have been centered around and what made the echolocation signals recieved in 2003:

http://www.strangemag.com/champ.html

...Unless there is compelling evidence to lead us to believe that, whatever Champ is, it has a lifespan exceeding 200 years in the wild.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:As for

Kevin R Brown wrote:

As for 'who said anything about a sea serpent or dinosaur' - I think the answer is obvious enough. Most sightnings of Champ (or the Ogopogo, or Nessie) are instances of people claiming to have seen something spectacular (like a plesiosaur or sea serpent). If it weren't the case, 'Champ' would hardly draw all the attention he does.

I have no evidence to believe in the physical descriptions given by some individuals of "champ" in that this creature has a reptilian appearance or anything of the sort.  All we have are vague pictures and personal testimony on that end.  Completely worthless to me.  I refute that information for lack of any real evidence.  This, however, is not the information that makes me unable to refute that something odd is in Lake Champlain.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Now, I did not realize that about echolocation. However, as the article states, "This inland sea was inhabited by many of the animals that inhabit the North Atlantic today, including mollusks, sea urchins, squid, herring, cod, salmon, seals, and belugas. In 1849, while constructing a railroad, workmen uncovered the bones of a beluga whale  in a swampy area in Charlotte, Vermont. The fossil beluga is housed in the Perkins Museum at the University of Vermont. By about 10,000 years ago, the Champlain Valley had risen above sea level. The Valley’s waters drained northward into the St. Lawrence River. This  river flows north of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes. Over 20 fossils of ancient beluga whales have been found around Lake Champlain This fact is interesting because of what we found in the lake...echolocation, even though there are no beluga present now."

"This inland sea was".  You DO realize that Lake Champlain is NOT an inland sea today right?  You do understand that the "bones" uncovered were 'fossils'...fossils are not recent remains of creatures, they are the remains of creatures where minerals have replaced the original material of their bodies.  The "inland sea" you quote is from a prehistoric "past" of Lake Champlain's history that hasn't existed for thousands or even millions of years.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

So, what is Occam's Razor going to find more likely? That some small population of Beluga whales are still in the lake, or that some brand new species of sea creature (or a previously-thought-to-be-extinct one) is?

[Sarcasm] Yes.  A portion of the Beluga whale, cut off from it's kin in Lake Champlain, have undergone absolutely no evolution for thousands of years and all that the scientists will find in the lake are plain ol', everyday, run-of-the-mill, saltwater existing Beluga whales.  A saltwater creature currently thriving in a freshwater environment.  However they are the exact same species even though the two different populations have not interbred with each other for hundreds of generations.

I can't think of why a single biologist or scientist would even care to read about such an insignificant discovery.  [/sarcasm]

You seem to think that a population of "beluga whales" living independently in an inland freshwater lake is rather...normal or something.  "Beluga" is a name of a species of whale.  But to call this critter a "beluga" is to call you a "neanderthal" as much as we can suspect on the relation based on their location, age of separation, etc. 

Is Champ related to Beluga whales?  I completely agree it most likely has to be.  Is Champ a Beluga whale?  Beluga whales live in the ocean and haven't existed in the Lake Champlain area for thousands of years.  This was back when the area that Lake Champlain exists in was part of an inland saltwater sea.  Plus there is no natural way that Beluga whales can reach Lake Champlain currently.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Further

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Further evidence that corroborates the notion that a single "unique creature" (Champ) is what the multitudes of sightings have been centered around and what made the echolocation signals recieved in 2003:

http://www.strangemag.com/champ.html

...Unless there is compelling evidence to lead us to believe that, whatever Champ is, it has a lifespan exceeding 200 years in the wild.

A single unique creature is out of the question.  This has to be an animal and therefore must have a population.  "Champ" is simply a nickname I refer to as any individual of this species that is discussed.

www.strangemag.com does not seem to me to be a source worth taking seriously.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I have no evidence

Quote:
I have no evidence to believe in the physical descriptions given by some individuals of "champ" in that this creature has a reptilian appearance or anything of the sort.  All we have are vague pictures and personal testimony on that end.  Completely worthless to me.  I refute that information for lack of any real evidence.  This, however, is not the information that makes me unable to refute that something odd is in Lake Champlain.

And that's fair enough.

Quote:
"This inland sea was".  You DO realize that Lake Champlain is NOT an inland sea today right?  You do understand that the "bones" uncovered were 'fossils'...fossils are not recent remains of creatures, they are the remains of creatures where minerals have replaced the original material of their bodies.  The "inland sea" you quote is from a prehistoric "past" of Lake Champlain's history that hasn't existed for thousands or even millions of years.

The article states 10,000 years. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I also read 'bones', the first term the article used - and missed that they apparently changed their mind and decided that 'fossils' were the more appropriate term. My mistake.

I also gave you the benefit of the doubt when you stated that 'no known freshwater animal is known to use echolocation', and I suppose I shouldn't have:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Inia_geoffrensis.html

...and, apparently, the North American bottlenose has also been known to make freshwater bodies a habitat:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Tursiops_truncatus.html

Quote:
[Sarcasm] Yes.  A portion of the Beluga whale, cut off from it's kin in Lake Champlain, have undergone absolutely no evolution for thousands of years and all that the scientists will find in the lake are plain ol', everyday, run-of-the-mill, saltwater existing Beluga whales.  A saltwater creature currently thriving in a freshwater environment.  However they are the exact same species even though the two different populations have not interbred with each other for hundreds of generations.

I can't think of why a single biologist or scientist would even care to read about such an insignificant discovery.  [/sarcasm]

...Then why all the assertion and suggestion from the Cryptozoologist field that 'Champ' is a plesiosaur? Certainly that (the new species of Beluga) would be an exciting scientific discovery - but not an exciting public discovery, which is - in my opinion - why such an air of mystique is constantly stirred about the 'lake monsters' of the world. When Champ goes from being a mythical dinosaur to a family of exotic Belugas, I think there would be little interest remaining in finding them.

It's also a stretch to argue that an incredible evolutionary leap would've been made after a mere 10,000 years or so. Not insignificant, but I very much doubt particularly exciting. It's ever more of a stretch to say that the population is 'thriving'. If that were the case, one would presume that there would be more sightings.

EDITED TWICE: Once for formatting, once to make a statement clear. The added words are in bold.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my first post in this

In my first post in this forum I talked about my sleep paralysis. When I was 12 my priest told me that I saw demons by my bed because I was bad. He said if I repented the Devil would stop sending demons to me. What a sick fuck he was, I mean to tell a kid that he is bad and the devil is sending him demons, that in itself is evil.

Hallucinogenic sleep paralysis is just another example of religion giving supernatural explanations to something they cannot comprehend.  

Sleep paralysis is not that bad now, when i have it I know that it is not real so I can appreciate the cool stuff my mind can conjure.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sleep paralysis is not

Quote:
Sleep paralysis is not that bad now, when i have it I know that it is not real so I can appreciate the cool stuff my mind can conjure.

I'm envious.

It doesn't matter how many times I have that nightmare - it always scares the living shit out of me.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote: Sleep

NickB wrote:

I hear ya. I was explaining this to someone recently. What its like and stuff like that and I ended with telling her that before I knew what it was I swore I was losing my mind but after finding out what it was and realizing I am not crazy I really have a good time with it. Its kind of fun isnt it?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: I also

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I also gave you the benefit of the doubt when you stated that 'no known freshwater animal is known to use echolocation', and I suppose I shouldn't have:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Inia_geoffrensis.html

...and, apparently, the North American bottlenose has also been known to make freshwater bodies a habitat:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Tursiops_truncatus.html

Good find and good call.  Also I believe there is a critically endangered river dolphin in Vietnam as well now that I think about it.  However, it is pretty easy to see how a species of dolphin entered into the Amazonian River.  This is not the same case with an inbound land-locked lake.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...Then why all the assertion and suggestion from the Cryptozoologist field that 'Champ' is a plesiosaur? Certainly that (the new species of Beluga) would be an exciting scientific discovery - but not an exciting public discovery, which is - in my opinion - why such an air of mystique is constantly stirred about the 'lake monsters' of the world. When Champ goes from being a mythical dinosaur to a family of exotic Belugas, I think there would be little interest remaining in finding them.

This is not my argument and has nothing to do with what I've been talking about.  Echolocation, freshwater inland lake with no natural way for the creature to get there unlike an amazonian dolphin, is my argument.  However, I have never heard of a professional cryptozoologist mention plesiosaur in regards to Champ.  A lot of people report "lake monsters" as looking more like giant snakes than a plesiosaur.  Don't get hung up on that image and apply it to every odd reporting of a lake monster.

You seem to have heard one description and then say that everyone reports the same description.  Stereotyping has a bad connotation to it for a reason.  Don't stereotype.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It's also a stretch to argue that an incredible evolutionary leap would've been made after a mere 10,000 years or so. Not insignificant, but I very much doubt particularly exciting. It's ever more of a stretch to say that the population is 'thriving'. If that were the case, one would presume that there would be more sightings.

During an actively transitional time a species can change quite a bit in 10,000 years.  Recent evidence suggests that not only are humans undergoing an extremely rapid rate of evolutionary change but that our brains have increased in size by 10% in the last 8,000 years.

Evolutionary change rapidly speeds up when your environment changes or you have to adapt to a new food source or some type of competition with another species.  If this lake got cut off from the ocean and trapped saltwater animals within it, that is the perfect criteria that would cause a rapid evolutionary change.

Whether the differences between this lake whale and it's ocean cousins is widely exotically different physically or not what will most definetly be the case is that there will have to have quite a difference in feeding habits, social structure, etc., etc.

And think on this.  North America will have the only "lake whales" on the entire planet.  That's a pretty exciting prospect.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, I have never

Quote:
However, I have never heard of a professional cryptozoologist mention plesiosaur in regards to Champ.  A lot of people report "lake monsters" as looking more like giant snakes than a plesiosaur.  Don't get hung up on that image and apply it to every odd reporting of a lake monster.

You seem to have heard one description and then say that everyone reports the same description.  Stereotyping has a bad connotation to it for a reason.  Don't stereotype.

http://www.townofmoriah.com/phframes/champ.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_%28legend%29

http://www.cryptozoology.com/cryptids/champ.php

http://www.newanimal.org/champ.htm

(...And every single link within the above pages).

I haven't yet found a single website that doesn't strongly hint at the notion of a sea serpent or plesiosaur. If that's not your argument, very well - but it seems clear that this isn't the consensus of the research community surrounding Champ, or the basis of why he's so sought after. Both of the afore-mentioned things are steeped in irrationality.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
User is offlineOffline
"All I have to say here is

"All I have to say here is that after going and reading up on sleep paralysis,that sucks man.It is interesting though this likely accounts for theists seeing "demons."Glad you aren't deluded though."

This kind of thing accounts for more than demons.  It is also the basis for alien abduction stories.  I is good that you are not deluded.

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I haven't yet found a single website that doesn't strongly hint at the notion of a sea serpent or plesiosaur. If that's not your argument, very well - but it seems clear that this isn't the consensus of the research community surrounding Champ, or the basis of why he's so sought after. Both of the afore-mentioned things are steeped in irrationality.

http://www.animalvoice.com/lakechamplain.htm  <--this website doesn't strongly hint at the notion of a sea serpent or plesiosaur.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:'This creature is

Quote:
'This creature is unique, possible severely endangered, and needs to be studied scientifically.'

...What, then, are the connotations of this phrase? Yes, they qualified earlier that they want to dispell notions of a 'monster' or anything supernatural - yet they also clearly lead the reader away from any notion that they out looking for whales, and avoid terms like 'animal', 'mammal' or 'whale' when referring to Champ - instead opting for a more suggestive term like 'creature'.

The 'study' is far more for the sake of theatrics than it is for science.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...What,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...What, then, are the connotations of this phrase? Yes, they qualified earlier that they want to dispell notions of a 'monster' or anything supernatural - yet they also clearly lead the reader away from any notion that they out looking for whales, and avoid terms like 'animal', 'mammal' or 'whale' when referring to Champ - instead opting for a more suggestive term like 'creature'.

The 'study' is far more for the sake of theatrics than it is for science.

They haven't verified yet that it is a mammal or whale.  I think that until sufficient evidence is collected it is wisest to refrain from describing a creature by characteristics such as that.  If asked for what the creature most likely is I'm sure they would say that they suspect it is related to Beluga whales.

Have you looked at the rest of that website other than the Lake Champlain page?  What other "theatrics" can you find for us?  Let's see what other animals they cover...rhinos, giraffes, tigers, horses. 

So are you biased to assume that because the organization is mentioning an animal that is often talked about on cryptozoology websites that it must be a hack charlatan employing theatrics?

Let's see what they say on their "About Us".

Fauna Communications Research Institute, founded in 1992, is a non-profit (501- C3) institute dedicated to the study of animal communication, especially those animals that are endangered in the wild.  This type of animal communication research contributes extensively to the knowledge of an animal, and helps with its continued conservation and protection.  We have a vocalization database of endangered and threatened species that we are continually updating.

We present at major scientific conferences, and are published in major scientific journals.

Pretty biased thinking there, Kevin.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Have you looked at the

Quote:

Have you looked at the rest of that website other than the Lake Champlain page?  What other "theatrics" can you find for us?  Let's see what other animals they cover...rhinos, giraffes, tigers, horses. 

So are you biased to assume that because the organization is mentioning an animal that is often talked about on cryptozoology websites that it must be a hack charlatan employing theatrics?

Let's see what they say on their "About Us".

Fauna Communications Research Institute, founded in 1992, is a non-profit (501- C3) institute dedicated to the study of animal communication, especially those animals that are endangered in the wild.  This type of animal communication research contributes extensively to the knowledge of an animal, and helps with its continued conservation and protection.  We have a vocalization database of endangered and threatened species that we are continually updating.

We present at major scientific conferences, and are published in major scientific journals.

Pretty biased thinking there, Kevin.

Nope. I hadn't bothered.

And, would you look at that - it turns out I should've.

Now, to be fair, my original argument was clearly in opposition to lake monster myths and 'sightings', rather than genuine scientific research done by credible organizations.

But, yeah. That was fairly biased of me. And more than a little foolish.

<-- Looks very stupid right at the moment.

I apologize.

Quote:

February 27, 1940