If you were God, what would you do.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
If you were God, what would you do.

Now, before I give you my example. I am not interested in what you claim your God would do. I am interested in YOUR OWN personal opinion as to what YOU would do if you had the powers of God.

I do not want to hear excuses for your God or talk about your God. I don't want to hear about him or his plan. I strictly want your opinion of what you would do IF IT WERE YOU.

A simple yes or no will suffice to the following EXAMPLE.

Would you allow or watch a baby drowned to death in water? YES OR NO.

I know what your answer should be. But I want to hear it from the theists who are willing to respond.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:Lemme

totus_tuus wrote:

Lemme address a number of points with this post....

BMcD....LOL...no offense inteded to southpaws.

BobSpence...damn, my ego was really stoked for a sec thinking you were addressing me directly with the "smart" thing.  As soon as I finish posting, I'm going to put some ice on my bruised self-esteem.

I was under the impression that those comments were in reference to everyone partaking of that particular discussion, I think Albedo was in range of the "smart but so so dumb mallet" too, just for entertaining the idea.

Quote:

Eloise...what wonderful thinking and prose (although I am a pretty traditional Christian and disagree with more than a few of your views).  You oughta write a book.  I'd buy it.

Eh, a paragraph of elegant prose is about my limit, sorry. I have tried to write books, they generally turn out too thin, the whole - stay with one theme and write many words about it - thing gets me every time. I admire those who can do that a great deal.

Quote:

I would reiterate though, that Genesis is not a science text.  It does point out that the Universe had a beginning and sprang form nothing (contrary to the creation accounts of other religions). 

I wouldn't say it's entirely contrary to other creation myths. In Norse myth the origin of the universe is Ginnungagap; a void bordered in time by Muspell a hot seething hostile environment on one side, and Niflheim a frozen emptiness on the other. In The Australian Aboriginal creation myth the existence of Ungambilkula ('created from nothing') entities guiding the course of the human race's formation from the formless is crucial, The Kojiki myth (Japanese) began in a void with a trinity of deities (sound familiar?). There are multiple creation myths that infer an ex nihilo event, some get quite a bit closer to our scientific understanding of the present universe than Genesis. Even Hindu creation mythology runs parallel with Genesis in describing the original empty void with metaphor pertaining to water, a divine being then divides the void from itself and stepwise from that process springs a universe of life.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:He was

totus_tuus wrote:

He was wrong.  Check out the story of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16 (I think).  The rich man is someplace pretty unpleasant, but Lazarus is "in the bosom of Abraham" is how I remember the text in my Bible reading nad he doesn't seem to be all that bad off.

I've been meaning to make a post about something like this, specifically, about the lack of fairness in hell. I'll post it latter, I still have to sort some things out before it makes sense, but the rich guy story gave some pointers.

BobSpense1 wrote:
I am just struck yet again how people who don't seem totally devoid of brain activity and some education can take the whole blatantly allegorical creation myth so seriously. If it wasn't a 'test' why the hell was the tree placed there?

This whole thing began with the suggestion that the fall of man was a test, and a rigged one at that (i.e. god set Adam and Eve up). To that end the tree itself would have been inconsequential, it could have been any prohibition at all. The fact the tree of knowledge was used seems to me as an artificially added element to boost: not only did we fail god (and therefore we should repent and so on), we should condemn the knowledge we got out of it (a further means of control). Not that anyone here is taking the story literally, I'm glad to say.

Still, ever since that calvinist guy came and went from this forums, that Beatz guy if you remember him, I've been flirting with the notion that the biblical account for the fall of man points to a set-up by god, and wanted to polish what I had so far.

Eloise wrote:
I was under the impression that those comments were in reference to everyone partaking of that particular discussion, I think Albedo was in range of the "smart but so so dumb mallet" too, just for entertaining the idea.

What did I do now? LOL

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I see you

Eloise wrote:

I see you implying that we should view the entire omnibus of ancient human ancestors with a supercilious eye. It seems like a hasty generalisation to me, why assume that they cannot know or understand something which we do not, or something we have forgotten?

I would be prepared to concede people back then would almost certainly have had much knowledge and skills relevant to their way of life, the environment they inhabited, and so on, but most definitely NOT in cosmology, astronomy, the nature of the earth as a whole, the origins and evolution and full variety of life on Earth, through no lack of intrinsic intelligence, but simply because of when they lived. IOW no useful knowledge in coming up with remotely accurate creation myths, and the Genesis stories are a perfect example of this ignorance.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would rescue the baby. I

I would rescue the baby. I would then also magically create a perfect utopia for every individual on the planet to enjoy and explore.

Yay magical me. I win!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I would

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I would rescue the baby. I would then also magically create a perfect utopia for every individual on the planet to enjoy and explore.

Yay magical me. I win!

But what happens when these perfect utopias conflict with each other? surely you wouldnt recreate an entirely individual utopian dimension for each and every life form in existence/planet (thus making everything a god >.> )

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Kevin

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Yay magical me. I win!

But what happens when these perfect utopias conflict with each other? surely you wouldnt recreate an entirely individual utopian dimension for each and every life form in existence/planet (thus making everything a god >.> )

But that's exactly what I'd do. I'm magical and omnipotent, and concepts like 'energy' don't apply to me, so it's not like it would take extra effort to accomodate everyone.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:But

Kevin R Brown wrote:

But that's exactly what I'd do. I'm magical and omnipotent, and concepts like 'energy' don't apply to me, so it's not like it would take extra effort to accomodate everyone.

You realize that would lead to the destruction of... everything... in all existence... for all time... including yourself... right?

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You realize that would

Quote:
You realize that would lead to the destruction of... everything... in all existence... for all time... including yourself... right?

Note the words 'magical' and 'omnipotent'.

Nothing can happen in a way I don't want it to when I own these characteristics.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Note the

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Note the words 'magical' and 'omnipotent'.

Nothing can happen in a way I don't want it to when I own these characteristics.

Unless you create another magical/omnipotent being >.> then your boned...

so i would advice against giving EVERYONE their own personal utopia

What Would Kharn Do?

Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
ites

Quote:
When someone sticks rabbits feet in as the automatic answer, they preclude themselves from finding real answers. When someone starts from the position, "I am observing some bad shit, I don't  know why it is happening, let me study this bad shit, and see if if we can find a solution to it." That is rational approach whereas assuming a magical man with a pitchfork is pulling strings gets you nowhere.  And not only does it get you nowhere, it stops you from thinking, when an answer can be found you lose it because of willful ignorance, and that is not only dangerous to one's intellect, it can be potentially dangerous to one's own life.

I think this is very well said and deserved a quote!  I've been told I think too much and need to have faith...  What is that kind of nonsense.

While we're speaking of the origins of the universe and religion, one should be quick to point out Hinduism.  In Hindi scripture time units vary from a millionth of a second to 311 trillion years, with the entirety of the universe lasting something like 418 quadrillion years before it is begins anew?  Just thought I'd share that though I'm only in the ballpark with the 418 quadrillion part.  I'm sure our resident scientists have heard of the parallels?

As a believer it kind of takes the breath out of me to read almost all creation scripture though.  Even if you say stuff like "well maybe each day meant xxx million years" it's still just silly to me.  Rather depressing too!

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Eloise

BobSpence1 wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I see you implying that we should view the entire omnibus of ancient human ancestors with a supercilious eye. It seems like a hasty generalisation to me, why assume that they cannot know or understand something which we do not, or something we have forgotten?

I would be prepared to concede people back then would almost certainly have had much knowledge and skills relevant to their way of life, the environment they inhabited, and so on, but most definitely NOT in cosmology, astronomy,

And it does not seem strange to you to judge what knowledge they did claim to possess and be sharing by the very standard of technological advancement which separates our culture from theirs. Well, in contrariness, I think it disingenious to take the most obvious distinction between us and the ancient storytellers, declare it a distinction and then claim something newly substantive has been established by the exercise. Of course they weren't cosmologists, cosmology has since been defined. So that makes their claimed knowledge, not cosmology, but we already knew that myth is the song of a different zeitgeist, so what's been established here but nothing?

Quote:

the nature of the earth as a whole,

Why should ancient man not have a capacity for understanding of the nature of the earth? Natural processes are predominantly recycled analogues of each other. Most anyone can come to realise the nature of earth's processes in the span of a lifetime. And every one of these people will lack the capacity to explicate it in a formal dialect of which they are unaware.  Assuming that the origin of creation myth was the mind of someone who lived on earth, as we both do, then the nature of earth as a whole is not out of reach of that persons awareness, our formalisms are, but the knowledge is not.

Quote:

the origins and evolution and full variety of life on Earth,

This again smacks of calling our distinct yardstick different because it's different. Evolution fits our formal structure of time, it flies under the radar that we invented that time formalism to begin with because it's now so conventional as to be second nature to us, but nevertheless, it's an modern-ish invention and a distinction between our existence and the existence of ancient man. Before we go arguing that the founder of the genesis account claimed 24*6 hrs of creation we'd better first establish that their formal method of divining 'days' even matches ours. One look at Genesis 1 establishes that it doesn't. The separation between light and darkness, and called day and night in Genesis, preceded the addition of galactic objects (sun and moon), which are specifically ordained to be symbolic of the actual conception of day to which they are referring in the previous passages.  Ergo the path of the sun across the sky is not DAY according to Genesis, it is merely a symbol of what Day is.

The specific concept of a 'day' in the genesis account is nothing more than a separation of something from nothing. And this is the formal concept of genesis time. It's nothing at all like our incremented units of equal distance over an imaginary dimension. Genesis units of time are arbitrary divisions, the distance between their units is marked by visual objects, eg seeds/ trees, leaves / berries, not numerical order, and they have conceived of no imaginary dimension at all. In Genesis, time is intrinsic, not independent.  Without a conception of independent or extrinsic time, on what grounds does evolution even apply to a full variety of life on earth?  

In terms of time divided entirely by the locality of objects - plant life- sea life- land life and man is the order of evolution anyway, not that that is a particularly important point. The important point is that Genesis does include it's own formal account of time and it bears no real resemblance to the foundational aspects of ours.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, I tried to make

Eloise, I tried to make clear that I was not trying to put these people down in any way, expecting them to know more than they could have.

No matter what there innate capabilities, their understanding of those things I listed would inevitably lack the insights and understanding we have acquired in the millennia since those creation accounts were devised. Full knowledge of the nature of the earth was certainly out of the practical reach of those people because of the tools developed since, and I agree not necessarily out of reach of their minds if presented with the data and observations etc that we now have access to.

They also got the sequence of life very screwed up. Genesis has land plants, then sea life and birds, then land animals, whereas in those categories it was actually sea life, land plants, land animals, then birds.

And of course light and darkness were present before the earth formed. so the starting point was not darkness.

Dry (hot) solid surface preceded the waters.

Genesis has Earth -> Sun & Moon -> Stars, instead of the correct  Stars -> Sun -> Earth -> Moon.

Like I said, it is no real reflection on their intelligence that they got these things so wrong.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Eloise, I

BobSpence1 wrote:

Eloise, I tried to make clear that I was not trying to put these people down in any way, expecting them to know more than they could have.

No matter what there innate capabilities, their understanding of those things I listed would inevitably lack the insights and understanding we have acquired in the millennia since those creation accounts were devised. Full knowledge of the nature of the earth was certainly out of the practical reach of those people because of the tools developed since, and I agree not necessarily out of reach of their minds if presented with the data and observations etc that we now have access to.

They also got the sequence of life very screwed up. Genesis has land plants, then sea life and birds, then land animals, whereas in those categories it was actually sea life, land plants, land animals, then birds.

And of course light and darkness were present before the earth formed. so the starting point was not darkness.

Genesis has Earth -> Sun & Moon -> Stars, instead of the correct  Stars -> Sun -> Earth -> Moon.

Like I said, it is no real reflection on their intelligence that they got these things so wrong.

Hi Bob, first, I apologise, my post shouldn't have implied a second time that you were reflecting on the intellect of the conceiver[s] of genesis, that was not my intention with it.

I think our premises in reading the tract are in kind as to:

1. the writer (speaker) was of normal intellect

2. the tract is in direct reference to the writers knowledge of the natural world and its origins (which is at best allegorical in the terms of our zeitgeist)

it is the area beyond this point which I was addressing in my last post.

Where I mean to point out that we part ways is in the following:

Bob-

3. The writer does not demonstrate scientific accuracy.

Eloise-

3. Scientific accuracy is relative to formalism.

4. The writer does not demonstrate any formalism that would ascertain his accuracy by the standards of our scientific norms.

Bob-

4. The writer is data poor.

Eloise -

5. several points - the quality and quantity of the writers data is by and large no different to ours when it is considered that a. both ancient man and modern man are limited in individual access to quantities of data by the span of a life time. and b. the quality of modern data is average in terms of the ratio of falsified and useless data to progressively useful data. In other words, we have a lot of baggage and this affects the quality of our richness in data.

thus 6. our general understanding of nature and the cosmos is not necessarily born of a superior standard of data on the whole.

and I would qualify that with 7. modern man does access superior entailing data from which we extract through suitably entailing formal methods. Ancient man demonstrates no specific faculty for data handling or retrieval and as such are without suitable account for their extrapolations. The account of modern man is provided in the methodology, so modern man is not in need of answering to it's account, while ancient man is. This can be construed as a superior position for modern man to be in. However it does not entail a deficit in the extrapolations of ancient man, a methodological account can demonstrate such a deficit but one is not provided.

In short, we can't outrightly expose any error of methodology in the claims of genesis because there is no method entailed in the claim, so we cannot assume one as a premise.  Of course we can conclude one in retrospect of having read the book and finding an error of accuracy, (and I see that you are doing that and excusing it by virtue of data poverty) but to reach that conclusion we must consider the formalism of the writer (3 and 4 for me), hence my discussing that particular subject in detail.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Eloise wrote:BobSpence1

Eloise wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hi Bob, first, I apologise, my post shouldn't have implied a second time that you were reflecting on the intellect of the conceiver[s] of genesis, that was not my intention with it.

I think our premises in reading the tract are in kind as to:

1. the writer (speaker) was of normal intellect

2. the tract is in direct reference to the writers knowledge of the natural world and its origins (which is at best allegorical in the terms of our zeitgeist)

it is the area beyond this point which I was addressing in my last post.

Where I mean to point out that we part ways is in the following:

Bob-

3. The writer does not demonstrate scientific accuracy.

Eloise-

3. Scientific accuracy is relative to formalism.

4. The writer does not demonstrate any formalism that would ascertain his accuracy by the standards of our scientific norms.

Bob-

4. The writer is data poor.

Eloise -

5. several points - the quality and quantity of the writers data is by and large no different to ours when it is considered that a. both ancient man and modern man are limited in individual access to quantities of data by the span of a life time. and b. the quality of modern data is average in terms of the ratio of falsified and useless data to progressively useful data. In other words, we have a lot of baggage and this affects the quality of our richness in data.

thus 6. our general understanding of nature and the cosmos is not necessarily born of a superior standard of data on the whole.

and I would qualify that with 7. modern man does access superior entailing data from which we extract through suitably entailing formal methods. Ancient man demonstrates no specific faculty for data handling or retrieval and as such are without suitable account for their extrapolations. The account of modern man is provided in the methodology, so modern man is not in need of answering to it's account, while ancient man is. This can be construed as a superior position for modern man to be in. However it does not entail a deficit in the extrapolations of ancient man, a methodological account can demonstrate such a deficit but one is not provided.

In short, we can't outrightly expose any error of methodology in the claims of genesis because there is no method entailed in the claim, so we cannot assume one as a premise.  Of course we can conclude one in retrospect of having read the book and finding an error of accuracy, (and I see that you are doing that and excusing it by virtue of data poverty) but to reach that conclusion we must consider the formalism of the writer (3 and 4 for me), hence my discussing that particular subject in detail.

What's with all the convoluted garbage? Either Genisis is a history book, or it is not.

If people claim that it is a history book based on actual events it is up to them to prove the claims made in that book, including the hocus pocus.

If it is merely a story, then why use it as a guideline for morality. Even that, even if one doesn't take it as litteral fact, Genisis, and the rest of that book for that matter display the worst in humanity and is a bad example of how humans should act morally.

Take your pick, either way the buybull is full of error scientifically, and is morally repugnant to boot.

Dressing a skunk(bad logic) up in a tux doesn't change the fact that the logic still stinks.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Ask a simple

Brian37 wrote:

Ask a simple question.

Ok guys, here, since you don't want to I'll do it for you.

Your answer should be "NO I would not allow babies to drowned  if I were God."

How come I can answer with that response and you cant? It's not that you cant answer with that, it is that you wont answer with that, because you know that babies suffer in reality from all sorts of things and you dont want  face that you buy the claim that a deity who watches and allows this. If you are not embarrassed that you believe such a claim, you should be.

You don't want to see your deity claim in a bad light, that is why you make excuses for it.

Oh, get over yourself!

According to my definition of God, I AM God.  So, it's not hypothetical, in my case.  I define God as All that is True in the Universe.  I am a part of All that is True in the Universe; so, that makes me God, along with everything else.

Now, AS God, I would save the baby, if I had the ability to save it.  Why?  Because, I enjoy life; and, I feel like the baby deserves a chance to enjoy more of it than it already has. 

Of course, even though I AM God, my perspective is that of a human.  I can't help that; because, that's what I am, too.

Ah, but what about omnipotence?  If I am God, should I not definitely be able to save the baby?  Not necessarily.  Omnipotence is the ability to do all that can be done.  If it is not possible for it to be done, omnipotence will not help you.  If there is no one around to save the baby, it will drown - and, there is nothing an omnipotent being can do about it; but it can  STILL be omnipotent.

I hardly see the point in your exercise.  A realistic hypothetical scenario, as I just presented,  is far more useful than a hypothetical scenario that could never happen.  My answer was the same as the one you wanted to cram in my mouth - but, for different reasons and from a different perspective (probably one that will only frustrate you, because it isn't the response you wanted to see).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
lifewhispers wrote:Brian37

lifewhispers wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Ask a simple question.

Ok guys, here, since you don't want to I'll do it for you.

Your answer should be "NO I would not allow babies to drowned  if I were God."

How come I can answer with that response and you cant? It's not that you cant answer with that, it is that you wont answer with that, because you know that babies suffer in reality from all sorts of things and you dont want  face that you buy the claim that a deity who watches and allows this. If you are not embarrassed that you believe such a claim, you should be.

You don't want to see your deity claim in a bad light, that is why you make excuses for it.

Oh, get over yourself!

According to my definition of God, I AM God.  So, it's not hypothetical, in my case.  I define God as All that is True in the Universe.  I am a part of All that is True in the Universe; so, that makes me God, along with everything else.

Now, AS God, I would save the baby, if I had the ability to save it.  Why?  Because, I enjoy life; and, I feel like the baby deserves a chance to enjoy more of it than it already has. 

Of course, even though I AM God, my perspective is that of a human.  I can't help that; because, that's what I am, too.

Ah, but what about omnipotence?  If I am God, should I not definitely be able to save the baby?  Not necessarily.  Omnipotence is the ability to do all that can be done.  If it is not possible for it to be done, omnipotence will not help you.  If there is no one around to save the baby, it will drown - and, there is nothing an omnipotent being can do about it; but it can  STILL be omnipotent.

I hardly see the point in your exercise.  A realistic hypothetical scenario, as I just presented,  is far more useful than a hypothetical scenario that could never happen.  My answer was the same as the one you wanted to cram in my mouth - but, for different reasons and from a different perspective (probably one that will only frustrate you, because it isn't the response you wanted to see).

Quote:

Oh, get over yourself!

What exactly do I need to "get over"? The fact that you amongst the billions of other claims don't have the same evidence like DNA or gravity? Ambiguous "I like what I claim" crap is the same, be it about selling a car or a superstition. I like to know what I am buying, and your words are as hollow as any other that I have read. The only difference is the sequence.

Quote:
Omnipotence is the ability to do all that can be done

Omni-means all, meaning unlimited. Or are you willing to limit your claim? If God has limits, why call it God?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 ..... say the word "god"

..... say the word "god" and so many freak ? Why do I just laugh, to then cry ?

G O D ? , oh shit ......       RRS is AWESOME,  is that not god ?  

If not,  what is god ???