Why I hate Televangalists.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why I hate Televangalists.

There are Christians and even preachers I have met over time that I respect, which is a separate issue than the claims they make. The ones I respect are the ones who are NOT afraid of blasphemy or debate. As wrong as I think they got it, at least they are not afraid to take the challenge and DON'T take it personally.

However, you never see people like Billy Grahm or Pat Robertson or Joel Olsten take on skeptics face to face. Why? Because in doing such that would expose their flocks to an apposing view.

They try to play this off as simply ignoring a fringe element of society that should simply be ignored. But that is merely a ploy to avoid the fact that they don't want the challenge because they are afraid that once their claims are exposed to the light of skepticism, that people will see through their arguments.

They are nothing but salesmen, and as good at selling as they my be, they are NOT debaters, and I have little respect for anyone on any claim who simply makes claims and expects people to buy it merely because they are a rock star.

Televangalists say, "Buy the car because it is a beautifully cherry red|".

The skeptic asks, "Well, yea, but that engine knocks really loud, what is wrong with the engine?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you have respect for

Do you have respect for Cameron and Comfort? They accepted the debate. But how can you respect them when they're stupid fucktards?!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:Do

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Do you have respect for Cameron and Comfort? They accepted the debate. But how can you respect them when they're stupid fucktards?!

Minor correction - they issued the challenge.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:Do

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Do you hate all Christians merely because you find their claims absurd?

If you want to address individuals that is one thing. But if we acted like Hitler to all absurd claims, we'd have to kill the majority of the planet's population. I don't know about you, but I am not into genocide because I hate what some claim.

You are missing my point. I can look beyond the absurd claims of someone and see them as an individual separate from the claims they make.

I never said I respected Cameron or Comfort. But my mom is a Catholic and outside the issue of religion, I respect her greatly as a person. That is because I know her personally.

Nice people are capable of believing absurd claims that I despise.

Televangelists are the worst because they DON'T DEBATE. Ray and Kirk are still retards, but are one step less offensive to me because they make the attempt, no matter how pathetic.

I have great respect for Thomas Jefferson's contributions to modern government, but I despise that even he claimed that a super natural entity started all this, I don't think he was a retard.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:There are

Brian37 wrote:

There are Christians and even preachers I have met over time that I respect, which is a separate issue than the claims they make. The ones I respect are the ones who are NOT afraid of blasphemy or debate. As wrong as I think they got it, at least they are not afraid to take the challenge and DON'T take it personally.

However, you never see people like Billy Grahm or Pat Robertson or Joel Olsten take on skeptics face to face. Why? Because in doing such that would expose their flocks to an apposing view.

They try to play this off as simply ignoring a fringe element of society that should simply be ignored. But that is merely a ploy to avoid the fact that they don't want the challenge because they are afraid that once their claims are exposed to the light of skepticism, that people will see through their arguments.

They are nothing but salesmen, and as good at selling as they my be, they are NOT debaters, and I have little respect for anyone on any claim who simply makes claims and expects people to buy it merely because they are a rock star.

Televangalists say, "Buy the car because it is a beautifully cherry red|".

The skeptic asks, "Well, yea, but that engine knocks really loud, what is wrong with the engine?"

It is really about showmanship.  I used to attend classes at a christian college that taught dramatic speaking for would be pastors/preachers.  It was all about using voice inflection, dramatic pauses and working your audience.  I worked on an evangelist's TV show for a few days.  There is actually a guy who cues the audience when to clap and when to shout "amen".  Kind of like a sitcom w/o the funny part.

I was already dealing w/ a great deal of skepticism at this point and I always thought it funny (ha ha and peculiar) that such a supposedly "powerful" message full of "truth" would need someone to sell it.

Another thing to note is the large amount of famous televangelists that began their career as "faith healers" and as they gained notoriety, they somehow seem to have lost interest in that particular hocus-pocus.

Faith healing really packs an audience but also carries a great risk that you'll be exposed as a fake.  If you're Pat Robertson, you gotta protect the diamond mines and that 400+ million fortune.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell