RIAA Website Wiped Clean by Hackers

netopia
netopia's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2007-11-13
User is offlineOffline
RIAA Website Wiped Clean by Hackers

 this hakers

Interesting to note that RIAA uses an open and free language (PHP) for its web application (and very likely, MySQL as well).

Perhaps having to pay for all those pesky proprietary sotware licenses was becoming a bit bothersome?

Heh, a quick check of the response headers reveals that they're running on Apache and RedHat as well.

 http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5287


Mr. Atheist (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Having a vendored option

Having a vendored option does not imply better.  The open source options out there are very viable and in a lot of cases better.  Ultimatly what you are paying for with vendoered solutions is the support. 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7525
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is it really worth hacking

Is it really worth hacking someone that'll have their site back within a day or so, and has backups?  The hacker commits a crime that could see years in prison, compared to taking down a site for a day and giving it fuel to ignite it's base. 

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
Posts: 1859
Joined: 2006-12-26
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Is it

Sapient wrote:

Is it really worth hacking someone that'll have their site back within a day or so, and has backups? The hacker commits a crime that could see years in prison, compared to taking down a site for a day and giving it fuel to ignite it's base.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Perfect Sense.  One more important point... hacking large sites (aka people with money) pretty much assures that they have an CIRT (incident response team) so you *will* get caught and they have the money to sue you.  Of course, after that civil case, they will also have your money which they can now spend on a better site that you'll probably hate more than the one you intruded. 


Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-27
User is offlineOffline
Maybe the hackers hacked

Maybe the hackers hacked the RIAA site for the sake of hacking it.

RIAA deserved it.

 Not condoning this, but just sayin' that that might be the reason for the hack. And also the whole part about the copyright-nazis running their site on open-source software.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.


Mr. Atheist (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

Maybe the hackers hacked the RIAA site for the sake of hacking it.

RIAA deserved it.

Not condoning this, but just sayin' that that might be the reason for the hack. And also the whole part about the copyright-nazis running their site on open-source software.

They deserve it? Oh no, they lost a couple hours where as someone else could lose years.  They get deemed a victim and people will support them.  Deserved what? to be promoted by foolish children that don't think about the repercussions of their actions?

Beliving that hacking actually hurts the site that is hacked is a myth.

As for copyright-nazis...can you really blame an organization and companies for wanting to earn money for the products they own? You may not agree with them, but they do own the rights and people are illegally stealing them.  The problem with them is not their enforcement of their copyright, but really it's them not adapting to the times and providing better options for people.

Additionally, what does this have to do with open source software?

I'm not suggesting I agree with their methods, but you can't blame a company for wanting people to not steal their products. 


Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-27
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote: Little

Mr. Atheist wrote:
Little Roller Up First wrote:

Maybe the hackers hacked the RIAA site for the sake of hacking it.

RIAA deserved it.

Not condoning this, but just sayin' that that might be the reason for the hack. And also the whole part about the copyright-nazis running their site on open-source software.

They deserve it? Oh no, they lost a couple hours where as someone else could lose years.  They get deemed a victim and people will support them.  Deserved what? to be promoted by foolish children that don't think about the repercussions of their actions?

Beliving that hacking actually hurts the site that is hacked is a myth.

As for copyright-nazis...can you really blame an organization and companies for wanting to earn money for the products they own? You may not agree with them, but they do own the rights and people are illegally stealing them.  The problem with them is not their enforcement of their copyright, but really it's them not adapting to the times and providing better options for people.

Additionally, what does this have to do with open source software?

I'm not suggesting I agree with their methods, but you can't blame a company for wanting people to not steal their products. 

I'll agree with you on that point - there's nothing wrong with a company not wanting people to steal its products. It's their moethods that everyone hates - suing people for $150,000 per song, threatening to sue coffee shops whose bands play covers, suing bars for airing MNF without getting the rights to play Are You Ready For Some Football? from the RIAA (even though the NFL and ESPN DO have permission and the bars have permission from the NFL and ESPN to show MNF) . It's soon gonna get to the point where the Onion story about the guy getting sued by the RIAA for singing in his shower because his neighbor, an RIAA lawyer, heard him, becomes reality.

The point about open-source is that an RIAA equivalent agency wouldn't be able to get any profit from the people who make or buy the software.

And as for any damages from the hack attack, the point of it may have just been to annoy and harass. The hackers are probably gonna get caught and go to jail for more time than they would have had they simply run someone over with an SUV by "accident;" but they still damaged the pride of the RIAA, and that may have been the point.

Lars wants his shark tank, and he doesn't wanna wait an extra 2-3 months.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7525
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

And as for any damages from the hack attack, the point of it may have just been to annoy and harass. The hackers are probably gonna get caught and go to jail for more time than they would have had they simply run someone over with an SUV by "accident;" but they still damaged the pride of the RIAA, and that may have been the point.

That's my point.  If you happen to have a line on the 12 yr olds running the ani-riaa message, could you tell them we need them out of prison if they are going to be effective.  Would you also tell them there are ways to harass and annoy without breeaking any laws?  They might not know that yet, I learned that one around 9th grade.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Mr. Atheist (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:
Mr. Atheist wrote:
Little Roller Up First wrote:

Maybe the hackers hacked the RIAA site for the sake of hacking it.

RIAA deserved it.

Not condoning this, but just sayin' that that might be the reason for the hack. And also the whole part about the copyright-nazis running their site on open-source software.

They deserve it? Oh no, they lost a couple hours where as someone else could lose years. They get deemed a victim and people will support them. Deserved what? to be promoted by foolish children that don't think about the repercussions of their actions?

Beliving that hacking actually hurts the site that is hacked is a myth.

As for copyright-nazis...can you really blame an organization and companies for wanting to earn money for the products they own? You may not agree with them, but they do own the rights and people are illegally stealing them. The problem with them is not their enforcement of their copyright, but really it's them not adapting to the times and providing better options for people.

Additionally, what does this have to do with open source software?

I'm not suggesting I agree with their methods, but you can't blame a company for wanting people to not steal their products.

I'll agree with you on that point - there's nothing wrong with a company not wanting people to steal its products. It's their moethods that everyone hates - suing people for $150,000 per song, threatening to sue coffee shops whose bands play covers, suing bars for airing MNF without getting the rights to play Are You Ready For Some Football? from the RIAA (even though the NFL and ESPN DO have permission and the bars have permission from the NFL and ESPN to show MNF) . It's soon gonna get to the point where the Onion story about the guy getting sued by the RIAA for singing in his shower because his neighbor, an RIAA lawyer, heard him, becomes reality.

The point about open-source is that an RIAA equivalent agency wouldn't be able to get any profit from the people who make or buy the software.

And as for any damages from the hack attack, the point of it may have just been to annoy and harass. The hackers are probably gonna get caught and go to jail for more time than they would have had they simply run someone over with an SUV by "accident;" but they still damaged the pride of the RIAA, and that may have been the point.

Lars wants his shark tank, and he doesn't wanna wait an extra 2-3 months.

 

The only people negativly affected by the attacks are the poor IT guys that have to fix it and they likely are not getting paid extra to do it.

Great jobs hackers! You caused some average joe to waste time because you took issue with how lawyers and billionaires do business!

I agree that their methods suck ass...but promoting them and making them a victim does not do anything to help their "cause" or release their message, it just gives the fat heads in the company that don't really care a way to 'rally the troops' that support them. 


netopia
netopia's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2007-11-13
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe the RIAA

I can't believe the RIAA didn't protect themselves from this. Any half-brained idiot programmer or  volunteer IT guy.who's ever touched a database knows about this.
More likely they could only find idiot programmers willing to work on their site.
look at all of the RIAA articles. below
http://www.riaa.org/captcha/CaptchaSecurityImages.php?width=1000&height=3000&characters=400
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/724/riaaaask8.jpg
http://www.riaa.org/captcha/CaptchaSecurityImages.php?width=10000&height=400000&characters=50000